The Ale Thread Page 71

• Page

of 88 First / Last

• MrSemprini 30 Jun 2012 09:42:53 9,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All plans of sensible drinking were abandoned this very yesternight when upon entering a favourite local bar one was confronted with a Mikkeller Imperial Stout, weighing in at a hefty 17.5% and an equally hefty 3 for a third, 4.50 a half or goodness knows for a pint. Unlike this monster ale, took the middle of the road option and settled down for a taste.

Chums, under no circumstances should you let this pass you by should you see it out and about. Pleasingly pungent, surprisingly fluid (compared to the syrupy super strength Brewdogs) and a to be expected overpowering roasted taste when it hits, its after taste lingers long. Not a subtle drink but if you like those classic stout flavours turned up to 11, this beast will suit you nicely.
  • RabidChild 30 Jun 2012 09:56:30 2,283 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that stuff is ace.

I can recommend Nils Oscar Rokporter. It a sweet, super-smokey porter. Definitely worth a go.
  • Deleted user 30 June 2012 11:45:33
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Balls, bad timing by me for missing the York beer festival. I'm going to be in York for a couple of days in mid-August, not September.

I must try to ditch the wife and kid for a bit to investigate a pub or two when there. There's supposed to be some really good ones with a wide selection of different ales isn't there- any favourite recommendations to keep my eyes out for?
    Send me a PM. Used to live there and tried almost every pub. Just on the way there now for a session starting at the Maltings.
  • JuanKerr 3 Jul 2012 17:40:23 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    markh wrote:
    @JuanKerr Hopefully not too late, but Hardknott is an excellent Cumbrian brewery. Their beers are often quite modern and a bit mental but almost always great!
    Yeah, had some of Hardknott's stuff before (Code Black I think), but didn't see any up in the Lakes last week.

Luckily, Hawkshead and Coniston breweries provided me with some damn good beer, notably Hawkshead's 'well hopped' collection and Coniston's classic Bluebird bitter. Superb.
  • mal 3 Jul 2012 18:25:11 21,952 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is it about Wetherspoons and ale? Just had two pints of Hobgoblin, and it just tasted like a slightly duff Guinness. Had the second just to check it wasn't stale beer, but it's not.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Vortex808 3 Jul 2012 19:28:08 6,564 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Witch.King wrote:
    Send me a PM. Used to live there and tried almost every pub. Just on the way there now for a session starting at the Maltings.
    Thanks, I'll try to remember to do that before we go!

/jots 'the maltings' on piece of paper
  • JuanKerr 4 Jul 2012 12:30:46 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    What is it about Wetherspoons and ale? Just had two pints of Hobgoblin, and it just tasted like a slightly duff Guinness. Had the second just to check it wasn't stale beer, but it's not.
    Might just have been on its last legs, but not necessarily stale. I've had pint like that before - you should have just taken it back and got something else :)
  • markh 5 Jul 2012 16:16:32 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hawkshead well hopped range is brilliant :)
  • Immaterial 5 Jul 2012 16:23:30 1,260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New favourite local-ish beer: Piddle. Shame about the comedy (but geographically accurate) name. It's like T.E.A. crossed with a Weissbier.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2012 17:41:12 38,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Love T.E.A.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• JuanKerr 5 Jul 2012 17:43:21 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had some Piddle beer recently funnily enough - my parents brought me some back from Dorset. I was very surprised at how damn good it was.

markh: yes, it certainly is. Pricey for such small bottles, but I imagine they weren't cheap to make. I've still got the NZPA to try :)

Edited by JuanKerr at 17:43:46 05-07-2012
  • mal 5 Jul 2012 18:32:12 21,952 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Might just have been on its last legs, but not necessarily stale. I've had pint like that before - you should have just taken it back and got something else :)
    True enough, though it was their guest ale, so I'd assume it was fairly fresh in. Still, it's far from the worst pint I've ever drunk, and it still did the business. I suppose Wetherspoons at least are quite good at handling complaints - perhaps they're used to it.

Fresher beer news, had a bottle of Summer Lightning the other day, to celebrate the thunder and rain of July. Not as complex as the stuff on tap, but passable. Slightly disappointing to be honest, but I guess that's usually the rule when it comes to bottled vs. draught.

Edited by mal at 18:34:09 05-07-2012

• Bremenacht 5 Jul 2012 20:52:42 15,753 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    markh wrote:
    Probably a specific question for Mr Semprini, but apart from York Tap, does anyone know any good real ale pubs in York? We're heading to the York Brewery tour on Saturday so we're looking for other venues to visit while we're there.
    A few recommendations aside from the Tap:

Brigantes
    Ackhorne
    Golden Ball
    Maltings
    Old White Swan
    Golden Slipper
    Cross Keys
    Rook & Gaskill
    Blue Bell
    Snickleway
    Pivini
    Vahe
    House of Trembling Madness
    Guy Fawkes
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Three Legged Mare
    Minster Inn
    Lamb & Lion
    Last Drop Inn

This place was just named York pub of the year. Haven't been there for ages but probably worth a go, especially as it's near the Rook & Gaskill which you don't want to miss.

Should be enough for a good afternoon out.
    What's the name of the pub in York station? It was a boarded-up god-knows-what one time I went, and a rather nice-looking pub the next time. Can't remember what I drank -I had just the one- but the Pork Pie was great! It had mushy peas in it! Brilliant!

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• JuanKerr 5 Jul 2012 21:11:34 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Fresher beer news, had a bottle of Summer Lightning the other day, to celebrate the thunder and rain of July. Not as complex as the stuff on tap, but passable. Slightly disappointing to be honest, but I guess that's usually the rule when it comes to bottled vs. draught.
    I love Summer Lightning but I've never actually tried it on tap. Bottled beers are definitely getting better and there are some crackers out there, but you're right - nothing beats a fresh pint of cask ale.

What are people's views on kegged ale? I've yet to be impressed, but it seems to be gaining popularity. Works for some styles I suppose, but cask ale is the closest you'll get to having a beer straight from the brewery.
  • mal 5 Jul 2012 21:49:50 21,952 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How do you tell if beer is from cask or from keg? I've been downstairs in one of my favourite pubs and I'm pretty sure those were casks down there, but in other boozers, are there any clues?

If you ever see Summer Lightning on tap you should definitely try it. Not one I see often though to be fair - the last time I saw it I was in south Wales.

Currently in my pint glass I have a bottle of Batemans Dark Lord. I do love Batemans stuff, either on tap or in bottle, even if their bottle labels do look like something from the 1890s. Dark Lord is described as a Ruby Dark Ale, but it comes across somewhere between a sweet porter and a barley wine, if a little more fruity than either. Very quaffable ether way.

P.S. Next up is one from south Wales' finest, Brains The Rev James. Getting chocolate on the first mouthful, hops on the aftertaste. A bit lacking in body maybe but one I'll be trying again I think.

• JuanKerr 5 Jul 2012 22:21:29 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cask beer is served using a good old hand pump or straight out of the cask, whereas keg beer is force carbonated and served on tap like a lager. A few of the newer breweries are selling some of their stuff on keg because it is easier to look after and lasts a lot longer.
  • mal 5 Jul 2012 23:19:17 21,952 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh right. Not tried any in that case.

There is a reasonable amount of variety in hand pumps too. Spinner or not, some have a little tap on the pipe which I think is to do with carbonation. Still again, I've been in one pub where before pouring a pint they flicked a little switch behind the bar and machinery started whirring. The pint came out very creamy, though that may just have been down to the spinner.

• MrSemprini 6 Jul 2012 09:54:58 9,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:What's the name of the pub in York station? It was a boarded-up god-knows-what one time I went, and a rather nice-looking pub the next time. Can't remember what I drank -I had just the one- but the Pork Pie was great! It had mushy peas in it! Brilliant!
    There are two pubs at the station. One, Coopers, is for ill bred, dull witted clotpoles. The other, the York Tap, is for patrons of good standing, a ready wit and an overwhelming sense of smug superiority. Given those criteria, it is more than likely you had your pork and pea pie in the mighty Tap.
  • MrSemprini 6 Jul 2012 09:58:07 9,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, that was my 9000th post, small fry compared to some of you prolific chaps but how many of you celebrated such a milestone covering most of your favourite things - York pubs, ale, pies and mostly obscure words from yore?

1-0 to me there.
  • Bremenacht 6 Jul 2012 11:39:41 15,753 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/

Cheers, dude.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• JuanKerr 26 Jul 2012 08:32:13 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked up a bottle of this earlier in the week. Not cheap, but sounds interesting and Marble's stuff is usually top notch.
  • MrSemprini 26 Jul 2012 09:42:24 9,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If anyone wants me this weekend, you can find me here. Your Earl Grey is making an appearance Squadron Leader so I may just indulge in one while watching Team GB start their quest for golden glory and other selected Badger ales.
  • JuanKerr 26 Jul 2012 10:03:11 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a fairly small but damn good beer list - a lot of the trendy modern breweries are represented I see.

Make sure you try the Oakham Green Devil IPA. Actually, just try as many as you can ...
  • MrSemprini 26 Jul 2012 11:39:35 9,330 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was intending to pop along for a couple of halves only, but now you've goaded me into it I guess I'll have to go large.

I'm also told they're serving fresh squirrel on the BBQ. Makes a change from charcoal burgers at least.
  • JuanKerr 27 Jul 2012 12:18:26 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are people's ale selections for tonight's events then? Think I'll get some Fuller's London Pride in (and maybe some London Porter for later in he evening) - seems appropriate.
  • dradis 27 Jul 2012 13:07:33 21 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Cask beer is served using a good old hand pump or straight out of the cask, whereas keg beer is force carbonated and served on tap like a lager. A few of the newer breweries are selling some of their stuff on keg because it is easier to look after and lasts a lot longer.
    Actually, the recent keg movement has nothing to do with convenience. It's about taste, and matching the dispense method (cask vs keg) to the beer style.

Beer in the US, for example, is served from keg 99.9% of the time. It's only natural that US-style craft beer that's brewed over here is served from keg.

And traditional UK bitters and ales have no place in keg. They're not nearly strong or hoppy enough to cope.
  • JuanKerr 27 Jul 2012 13:26:26 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair point, although keg does have longevity advantages over cask which opens up markets like hotels which otherwise wouldn't stock ale.

I've had plenty of 'US-style' beer served from cask and I generally prefer it that way. Also, I've had porters on keg which work just as well as cask (Fuller's London Porter, for example), so I don't agree that you can make generalisations about what works best. The brewer's opinion usually counts and they know more than me! What's important is that quality beer becomes more widely available

Whatever your preferences, cask beer is as close you can get to drinking beer straight from the fermentation vessel in a brewery.
  • FarFromSane 27 Jul 2012 13:34:30 231 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Over the last few weeks i've got addicted to march of the penguins

The only place i've come that sell it seems to be tesco

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• JuanKerr 27 Jul 2012 13:37:09 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never tried it myself, but think I've seen it in Tesco actually. Might have to pick up a bottle next time I see it.
  • dradis 27 Jul 2012 13:58:56 21 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, keg is more convenient and does indeed open up new markets for smaller breweries. But my point is that taste is what's driving new breweries to use keg - not convenience. That's just a happy byproduct.

The cask/keg is obviously a matter of taste. But I'd go for the traditional method of dispense every time.

I agree that cask is the closest you get to drinking beer out of the fermenter. But you're not supposed to drink craft beer out of the fermenter ;)
  • Page

of 88 First / Last