The official London 2012 Olympic Games thread Page 269

• Page

of 273 First / Last

• FWB 14 Aug 2012 00:00:28 45,111 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The opening ceremony was anything but "popular British stuff". Reading online most of the world - despite liking it - didn't fully get it because they didn't get the historical and cultural links. I thought it was great for that. Really picked out some choice British reference points, or at least ones that I could relate to. The alternative was to produce some generic turd that you see at almost every international event.

The closing ceremony was the cliched sack of shit that probably people think Britain is about. Thank fuck it isn't, despite what the Sun and OK magazine say. It had echos of Blair's Cool Britannia. Embarrassing.

Edited by FWB at 00:03:36 14-08-2012
  • FWB 14 Aug 2012 00:04:47 45,111 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Second the sentiment of letting some unsigned/indie artists play. The lighting of the flame was a nod to the future athletes, why couldn't the closing ceremony do the same to our future artists? Instead we got a bunch of has-beens.
  • kentmonkey 14 Aug 2012 00:10:30 20,859 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't really like the closing ceremony that much, but I'm glad I just don't care enough about that shit to let it ruin my life like it appears to have done others.

Opening 9/10 (for that type of event)
    Olympics 10/10
    Closing 5/10

Overall - I think they did a bloody amazing job, and I won't let three hours of a talent vacuum ruin the amazing stuff that came before it. And thankfully, now I'm getting older, anything that isn't 100% memorable disappears from memory within 48 hours anyway, so I'll be left with images of Mo and Ennis winning, amongst others, and a black hole where the closing ceremony was.
  • MightyMouse 14 Aug 2012 00:37:16 1,135 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was certainly fairly badly done at times (miming, repeating the same songs), fairly cheap (trying to flog British fashion labels) and occasionally offensive (the Indian dance bit, venerating models rather than the athletes), but the rest of the Olympics was great and most people seem to have spotted just how awful the closing ceremony was. In a way, I'm happy that it was given the freedom to be so shit so that people can easily compare the closing ceremony (what X-factor-style popular culture is in Britain today) with the opening ceremony (what it could be).
  • superdelphinus 14 Aug 2012 00:42:01 8,110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some good stuff in the times today about British sport, and how actually we are now pound for pound the best at sport in the world. Head of uk sport reckons team gb is running at about 3 out of 5 cylinders in terms of a fully oiled machine at the moment, and should be even stronger in rio. Also some weird shit about learning everything from the bolshoi

Also another thing about how the Olympics was better than the world cup could have been here, mainly because of less tribalism and us actually being very good at sports that aren't football. Despite me kind of agreeing with that, if England won the world cup in England I think it would be a bigger effect than what's just happened.

I wonder how lineker will cope with just talking about football now
  • superdelphinus 14 Aug 2012 00:42:26 8,110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shall we draw a line under the closing ceremony now
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Aug 2012 00:54:50 14,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yes please. Talking anymore about it would just be the typically British thing to do; ignore 2 weeks of awesomeness and zero in on 3 hours of shit just so we can enjoy having a good moan,
  • FWB 14 Aug 2012 01:18:09 45,111 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think it is a bit arrogant to say that we're the best at sport in the world. The huge investment building up to the Olympics and home advantage were critical. I reckon you could find capable athletes in any country. They just need some support.
  • HiddenAway 14 Aug 2012 01:21:59 14,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, best moments then? Have we had that question yet?

Jessica Ennis and the Medal Ceremony afterwards leading to a huge roar of God Save the Queen

Mo Farah's double gold medals

That middle Saturday in general

Gemma Gibbons' emotional semi-final win in the Judo

Jade Jones' Gold in Taekwondo

Bolt's double triple and the celebration trade with Mo

The BBC's Video Player

Actually, can I just say all of it? :(

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• superdelphinus 14 Aug 2012 01:37:34 8,110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve Cram's commentary was superb at key points, that was one of my favourites.

"the arms have got to pump, the knees have got to come up high"

"HE KICKS AGAIN....mo farrah...for great Britain.....GOOOOLLLDD.....OH YES, OH YES.....have you EVER seen anything like that?"

Goosepimples
  • grey_matters 14 Aug 2012 03:22:36 3,859 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    So, best moments then? Have we had that question yet?

Jessica Ennis and the Medal Ceremony afterwards leading to a huge roar of God Save the Queen

Mo Farah's double gold medals

That middle Saturday in general

Gemma Gibbons' emotional semi-final win in the Judo

Jade Jones' Gold in Taekwondo

Bolt's double triple and the celebration trade with Mo

The BBC's Video Player

Actually, can I just say all of it? :(
    Probably something like:

Rudisha (possibly the best sporting performance of any type that I've ever seen)
    Bolt
    Farah/Ennis
    for me, in that order.

Not much between them though. After that, Katie's gold and that Dutch gymnast's high bar win.

Edited by grey_matters at 03:36:48 14-08-2012
  • SuperCoolEskimo 14 Aug 2012 03:24:46 9,986 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Definitely Mo's 10k win for me. I had the volume bar on the TV full, and the loud roar on that final lap, and the even bigger roar when he won the race - fucking amazing. That being the first medal race, and for a Brit to win it in the manner he did, was always going to be hard to beat.

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 03:36:14 14-08-2012
  • SolidSCB 14 Aug 2012 03:39:46 7,163 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Best moments for me were Phelps ending his career with an 18th gold medal, Usain Bolt absolutely tearing it up after all the doubt and my personal favourite; Zonderland on the high bar. A physical feat that I think will stand as the most impressive I have ever seen for the rest of my days.
  • elstoof 14 Aug 2012 07:16:06 8,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I think it is a bit arrogant to say that we're the best at sport in the world. The huge investment building up to the Olympics and home advantage were critical. I reckon you could find capable athletes in any country. They just need some support.
    That's sort of the point no? We are able to support promising talent and have invested substantially in doing so, with results to back it up. It's got nothing to do with arrogance, no ones claiming people born in Britain are genetically superior at sport.
  • THFourteen 14 Aug 2012 07:41:53 34,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Feeling much better today

Edited by THFourteen at 07:43:07 14-08-2012
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 14 Aug 2012 07:47:17 7,014 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Anyone see the BBC golden generation show that finished 10mins ago? I suggest you all watch it, if you didnt,.
    It's utterly fantastic with a magnificent poetic feel to it. Up on iPlayer now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b01m880f
  • Whizzo 14 Aug 2012 08:27:05 43,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite moment wasn't someone winning but getting a bronze, Campbell put absolutely everything into it and you can't ask more than that.

This space left intentionally blank.

• JuanKerr 14 Aug 2012 08:47:40 36,415 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That video with Steve Redgrave helping him before the medal ceremony and then the ceremony itself is incredible. Made me blub all over again!

And I love the way he even makes the effort to stand up and sing the national anthem for another medal ceremony that's taking place before his.

Edited by JuanKerr at 08:51:29 14-08-2012
  • Ka-blamo 14 Aug 2012 09:19:13 7,594 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NBC cut out The Who, Muse and Ray Davies from the closing ceremony.
  • Trane 14 Aug 2012 09:48:56 4,058 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourite moment was Chris Hoy, standing just behind the podium moments before stepping up to receive his 6th gold. He couldn't hold his emotions in any longer and started crying. I think the realisation of what he had achieved, not just on that day, but over his career and the effort he put in over the last 4 years in particular, all culminating in this moment. (And my god the keirin final that preceded it was just fantastic).

Also just before (or maybe just after?) the medal ceremony Sir Steve was there to congratulate him, Chris Hoy was so humbled even though they stand shoulder to shoulder, he really is such a great guy.

I struggled not to cry myself, and I'm not a blubber, I haven't cried for 12 years! Anyway, that's enough man-love for one morning.
  • MrDigital 14 Aug 2012 09:51:58 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unsurprisingly, I like the Germans a lot more than the French :D

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Fab4 14 Aug 2012 10:09:09 6,143 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The French are cunts...fact :D
  • Gl3n Moderator 14 Aug 2012 10:14:52 5,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The French are an incredible species :)
  • Mr-Brett 14 Aug 2012 12:48:28 12,877 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other than the favouritism thing it all seems fair enough to me. Can you imagine what the UK tabloids would be saying if the roles were reversed?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• MrDigital 14 Aug 2012 13:14:33 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Other than the favouritism thing it all seems fair enough to me. Can you imagine what the UK tabloids would be saying if the roles were reversed?
    Probably true actually. True in that we'd be nasty to the French (the tabloids at least) and that we'd be a lot nicer to the Germans.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Tom_Servo 14 Aug 2012 13:53:57 18,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Abandoned Olympic sites from around the world
  • THFourteen 14 Aug 2012 13:56:38 34,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OMG

:'-(
  • monkman76 14 Aug 2012 14:16:47 5,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fairness, Sarajevo's been through quite a lot since 1984.. :/
  • Mr-Brett 14 Aug 2012 14:22:25 12,877 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Legacy = Providing a canvas for urban art ;)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• senso-ji 14 Aug 2012 14:26:46 5,999 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Every Olympics leads to abandoned sites and some economic issues for the host city. I suppose the difference between London and the others is that a lot of the venues were temporary (a dedicated beach volleyball stadium, Beijing? Really?) and what's left will (hopefully) be picked up by private firms.
  • Page

of 273 First / Last