The official London 2012 Olympic Games thread Page 268

• Page

of 273 First / Last

• kentmonkey 13 Aug 2012 20:29:06 20,092 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd imagine it was George's alone. Perhaps a 'I'll only play if you let me sing a new song'.
  • oceanmotion 13 Aug 2012 20:31:29 15,274 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think that director did a pretty piss poor job.

Dead Freddy had more going for him, should have played the whole song.

That women on the ship lipsyncs everytime I see her perform, why bother. Muse, bloody hell, right after always look on the brightside. Ruined. Bobble head lady singing we will rock you, awful. Russell Brand. Spice Girls music hasn't aged well at all.

Should have been creative with good music over the years playing, with a few great live bands weaved in with some thought.

Great Olympics which is the main thing though.
  • kalel 13 Aug 2012 20:35:31 84,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Without doubt it was George himself who insisted on that god awful new track.

All in all I thought it was ok though. Could have been a bit more imaginative in the team ups but I guess it would have been too much rehearsing and such.
  • Restart 13 Aug 2012 22:46:44 4,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw a couple of our Olympic fencers at the train station whilst going into town earlier, still wearing their Team GB gear. Made me quite proud to be British seeing them. :)
  • localnotail 13 Aug 2012 22:54:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Re: closing ceremony: as my Dad said this afternoon - what it needed was a singalong, what we got was a twatathon. (Slightly paraphrased)

This guy sums it up nicely

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• dsmx 13 Aug 2012 22:58:13 7,414 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ending ceremony to me at least made me feel exactly like the opening ceremony, why was freddy taken from us, that kind of thing was made for him.

Edited by dsmx at 22:58:47 13-08-2012

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• disusedgenius 13 Aug 2012 22:58:13 5,147 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Spice Girls music hasn't aged well at all.
    Nah, out of all the acts their qualities have aged the least.

Personally I'd give the closing ceremony about 6/10 - the odd moment of promise but generally overwhelming and slightly embarrassing.

Edit: And I'd agree with the sentiments of that blog post as well, if not the ferocity. The evening just lacked any balls.

Edited by disusedgenius at 23:01:34 13-08-2012
  • FWB 13 Aug 2012 23:06:23 42,066 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Having seen snippets now, I find it pretty bloody embarrassing. Is that really what Britain is about?
  • DanB24 13 Aug 2012 23:11:35 1,399 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably the only good bit was undead remastered Lennon right at the start of the "Music bit" and probably The Who at the end.
  • elstoof 13 Aug 2012 23:13:07 6,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Probably a stupid question, but will I be able to pop down to the velodrome and faff about on it?

I know the kayaking site will keep running for us plebs.
    Apparently so, according to the Olympic website. You'll probably need to book a time slot or event though, organise a group or whatever. Much like at Hearn Hill velodrome. Factor in bike hire as well, you can't take road bikes onto velodromes generally.
  • FWB 13 Aug 2012 23:18:16 42,066 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ta. Fancy me a bit of cat and mouse. Points or elimination would be even better. Only two problems with those two... 1) I currently wouldn't survive 5mins and 2) don't know if cyclists.
  • localnotail 13 Aug 2012 23:21:13 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only bit I liked was the male voice choir.

• senso-ji 13 Aug 2012 23:28:52 5,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The closing ceremony definitely felt a bit too 'designed by committee'. It's almost as if Kim Gavin was intimidated by the Opening Ceremony and great sport and decided to play it as safely as possible. Lots of 'celebrities', old music stars and eye candy so the punters get their money's worth.

It fell pretty flat on it's face; but then again how can any ceremony close off such a spectacular event effectively?

Edited by senso-ji at 23:29:19 13-08-2012
  • Restart 13 Aug 2012 23:31:08 4,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Amazing". The most overused word of the London Olympics. :p
  • localnotail 13 Aug 2012 23:32:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just wanted a good wedding DJ to give the athletes a nice afterparty, and 20mins 12secs of epic fireworks, culminating in Seb Coe being burned in a wickerman.

• askew 13 Aug 2012 23:33:17 11,472 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Probably the only good bit was undead remastered Lennon right at the start of the "Music bit" and probably The Who at the end.
    I was hoping that they'd have had Freddie perform as a hologram. That would have been impressive. Alternatively, sack off Jessie J and have that bloke from We Will Rock You sing his lines.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Aug 2012 23:35:14 15,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's what the opening ceremony would've been if it hadn't been given to someone of Danny Boyle's talent (disclaimer: I didn't see the opening ceremony but what I've seen and heard of it since seemed very good).

A lot of pretty naff music (either 35 years old or the flavour of the month in the charts), not very imaginative and full of clichés. Timothy Spall as Churchill really was dire, as were the black cabs and so on. I'm amazed there weren't Beefeaters or bulldogs (or maybe there were). It's the kind of ceremony the rest of the world would enjoy watching, but not the people from the country concerned.
  • DaM 13 Aug 2012 23:40:33 12,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spall was not good, I thought it was Father Jack at first.
  • SolidSCB 13 Aug 2012 23:41:21 5,864 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The opening ceremony seemed like someone had Google searched 'popular British stuff' and plastered it together.

The closing ceremony seemed like someone Google searched 'British music', downloaded the first thing that popped up and pressed play on the night.

The stuff in between the two is what I'll remember London 2012 for.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Aug 2012 23:45:13 15,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    The opening ceremony seemed like someone had Google searched 'popular British stuff' and plastered it together.
    See, what I've gathered from what people have said of the opening ceremony was that it was kind of the opposite of this. Of course, it was lots of popular British stuff but not in a pejorative sense. There were references to things no one outside of the country would understand (like Kes).

I guess the closest the closing ceremony came to that was the moment with Del Boy and Rodney in their Batman and Robin get-up. Apart from that it seemed very general and, again, quite unimaginative.
  • Khanivor 13 Aug 2012 23:49:23 39,907 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    if you think the closing ceremony was bad imagine watching it hours after it was over, with adverts every 10-15 minutes and lots of stuff edited clean out. And the final firework show wasn't broadcast till after the 'special commercial free presentation' of some dire new sitcom about an animal hospital.

If I could have NBC blocked from my cable then I would. Dire cunts.
  • SolidSCB 13 Aug 2012 23:51:33 5,864 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It just had seemingly no direction for me. It strung along from one piece of British pop culture to the next with no real purpose. Seemed very much a ceremony for us, instead of welcoming the rest of the world to our shores.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2012 23:52:37 52,822 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    The only bit I liked was the male voice choir.
    It was pretty classy. :)
  • superdelphinus 13 Aug 2012 23:52:38 7,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish they'd gradually reduce the limpix coverage rather than just ending it. It's akin to immediate heroin withdrawal I'd imagine, except worse.

Re the closing ceremony, I guess it felt more jarring because of the sort of cultural change that seemed to be happening throughout the preceding fortnight. Was a mistake calling it a music symphony (stupid in itself) and then having the sort of thing they had, particularly when you look at the line up they had over at Hyde park at the same time. They should have had either just relatively new good bands/ artists on fitting with the inspiring a new generation schtick or a proper good singalong. The Eric idle bit was brilliantly mental though and the crowd singing along sounded amazing.

People saying it ruined the Olympics is emo overdrive though !

Fantastic couple of weeks, though I think all the frantic rubbing of thighs about it changing Britain for the better may be seen to be a bit silly over time
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Aug 2012 23:53:02 38,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The opening ceremony was awesome, the games were outstanding and the closing ceremony was just ok, just.

The BBC highlights show that just finished was also brilliant.

We won't ever have anything like that again. Bask in its glory not its meaningless short comings.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Bremenacht 13 Aug 2012 23:53:07 15,819 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    The closing ceremony definitely felt a bit too 'designed by committee'. It's almost as if Kim Gavin was intimidated by the Opening Ceremony and great sport and decided to play it as safely as possible. Lots of 'celebrities', old music stars and eye candy so the punters get their money's worth.
    It reminded me of the old Brit awards - lots of has-beens getting a run-out, because they made a lot of money, back in the day.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• superdelphinus 13 Aug 2012 23:53:34 7,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    It just had seemingly no direction for me. It strung along from one piece of British pop culture to the next with no real purpose. Seemed very much a ceremony for us, instead of welcoming the rest of the world to our shores.
    Why would you want to welcome people to your shores when in essence you're telling them to fuck off again though
  • Tom_Servo 13 Aug 2012 23:54:28 15,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I think we have a fundamental disagreement. A ceremony, such as the closing one, which is essentially some old clichés about the host country is not my idea of a good ceremony.

I think we did something a bit different, a bit out there and a bit insane: what's more British than that?

edit: In fact, I'm pretty sure the international reaction to the opening ceremony was very positive, pretty much for the reasons I've outlined.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 23:58:46 13-08-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Aug 2012 23:55:08 13,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    would've been nice if the closing ceremony gave the opportunities to unsigned artists, music of today (not pop music) and maybe somehow unveiled a banksy artwork that summarized the Olympics, an artwork to be kept as part of the legacy.
    Mel B was hot though.

Anyone see the BBC golden generation show that finished 10mins ago? I suggest you all watch it, if you didnt,.
  • HiddenAway 13 Aug 2012 23:57:57 14,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    would've been nice if the closing ceremony gave the opportunities to unsigned artists, music of today (not pop music) and maybe somehow unveiled a banksy artwork that summarized the Olympics, an artwork to be kept as part of the legacy.
    Mel B was hot though.

Anyone see the BBC golden generation show that finished 10mins ago? I suggest you all watch it, if you didnt,.
    It was essentially all the montages from the Closing Ceremony pre-show but they were indeed brilliant.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Page

of 273 First / Last