The official London 2012 Olympic Games thread Page 176

• Page

of 273 First / Last

• DaM 5 Aug 2012 22:38:25 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So the news was Olympics, some rain, and some reaction to Olympics :)
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 22:39:47 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I've got four tickets to Tuesday's Olympic Football Semi-Final between Mexico and South Korea at Wembley and I can no longer attend, if anyone would like them let me know, I'll post them to you registered post along with the travel cards and other documents that came with them as well as a letter that will validate your entry to security should they ask for one. C&P'ing this in a few places.
    Four? Why are the other 3 people not going?

• HiddenAway 5 Aug 2012 22:39:56 14,996 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After 3 days of competition - GB lead the Athletics table :p

Won't last :(

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• SolidSCB 5 Aug 2012 22:41:39 7,373 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Quite why they were bothering him, I have no idea. He should've told them to stick it. Interviewer is such a dick. Who is he anyway?
    It seems to be policy in these Olympics for the BBC to be as intrusive and insensitive as possible with their interviews. They were in a fucking boat sailing on the open water next to a couple of GB guys who had only just narrowly missed out on gold in a boat race earlier. I couldn't help but chuckle at the audacity of that one. They really need to give these guys some space. It seems like they are desperate to get a reaction out of someone and it just feels awkward and tacky.

Edited by SolidSCB at 22:42:52 05-08-2012
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 22:43:49 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Can no longer be arsed to attend you mean :)
    Someone else was selling their tickets for that game too. I guess a lot of people are trying to offload them now that GB are out..
    Which is a bit of a shame really, I went to the Wembley game yesterday (Senegal-Mexico) and had a great time, very enjoyable match and the mostly neutral crowd enjoyed it too. 81000 people were there and everyone seemed to be having fun, good atmosphere, plenty of noise despite no home athletes being involved.

They're both half decent teams and the atmosphere would be worth it alone anyway. Of course if you don't like football then I can understand not wanting to go especially if GB aren't involved. But then it's such a lottery that it's a bit risky booking tickets for an event GB would possibly not be in.

edit; this isn't aimed at any forumite on here, and it's just my opinion

Edited by Syrette at 22:45:27 05-08-2012

• NotSoSlim 5 Aug 2012 22:43:50 3,149 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did like Cavendish telling the reporter to do one after Road Race
  • Kay 5 Aug 2012 22:44:23 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Quite why they were bothering him, I have no idea. He should've told them to stick it. Interviewer is such a dick. Who is he anyway?
    It's bad enough that they hassle winning athletes while they're still out of breath, but stuff like the Gay interview really does the take the piss. What's the point of asking them how they feel? A quick tap on the shoulders and commiserations is all that's needed, if they really want to give them screen time.
  • DaM 5 Aug 2012 22:45:57 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You have to go to the footy and support Mexico - support anyone who isn't South Korea for the medal ttable! I saw Japan humiliate Spain at Hampden, will never forget it, great day.

Fucking Allan Wells on the sofa, get in!

Edited by DaM at 22:48:45 05-08-2012
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 22:46:18 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Did like Cavendish telling the reporter to do one after Road Race
    That was David Bond, who is appalling. The BBC has been getting loads of plaudits for its coverage but there's a lot I've been unimpressed with.

• THFourteen 5 Aug 2012 22:46:33 34,470 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Syrette yeah I went to south korea vs gabon and it was fun.

felt like a friendly though
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Aug 2012 22:46:43 14,439 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It's bad enough that they hassle winning athletes while they're still out of breath, but stuff like the Gay interview really does the take the piss. What's the point of asking them how they feel? A quick tap on the shoulders and commiserations is all that's needed, if they really want to give them screen time.
    The worst one was still the Asafa Powell at the World Championships (I think). They guy was clearly distressed, yet the interviewer simply wouldn't let him leave and just grilled him for about a minute.

What. The. F*ck man.
  • Kay 5 Aug 2012 22:48:16 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Chambers has tried to do some good from his cheating. He goes to schools to warn kids not to take drugs and I don't think he's had a dirty sample since.

Gatlin has had 4 dirty samples I think which clearly shows he doesn't care about the consequences.
    Yep, Chambers has always come across as genuinely apologetic for his what happened in interviews, and determined to wipe the slate clean. Not heard about Gatlin before but he does sound like a cock.
  • ecu 5 Aug 2012 22:48:41 77,315 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    The worst one was still the Asafa Powell at the World Championships (I think). They guy was clearly distressed, yet the interviewer simply wouldn't let him leave and just grilled him for about a minute.

What. The. F*ck man.
    Yeah, I mentioned it yesterday but after Chad Le Clos beat Phelps he was in tears, he wanted to go over to his family but the BBC reporter grabbed his arm and told him not to go anywhere. It was really bad.
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 22:51:03 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Syrette yeah I went to south korea vs gabon and it was fun.

felt like a friendly though
    Yeah it's a strange one. In fact it's the first match in a very, very long time for me that I've attended where I have no allegiances whatsoever to either team. So I just went there to enjoy some football, and it delivered (6 goals, plenty of chances, some dodgy defending, some awful tackles, and good overall offensive play by both teams).

Wembley is incredible by the way. My first time. We sat near the corner, middle tier. The view was fantastic and I love how close to the pitch the - immensely (for a football stadium) comfortable - seats are. Fair play to the Mexican fans who attended and made plenty of noise.

• Syrette 5 Aug 2012 22:51:49 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

What. The. F*ck man.
    Yeah, I mentioned it yesterday but after Chad Le Clos beat Phelps he was in tears, he wanted to go over to his family but the BBC reporter grabbed his arm and told him not to go anywhere. It was really bad.
    Has there been anything in the media about people complaining to OFCOM about their behaviour?

• NotSoSlim 5 Aug 2012 22:53:44 3,149 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daily Fail had article about it

Edited by NotSoSlim at 22:53:58 05-08-2012
  • DaM 5 Aug 2012 22:58:42 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They are getting abuse, but I think the BBC's coverage has been fantastic. Would you rather have NBC? Or the Aussie ABC?

Murray's 28 days later lol :)

Edit shitty grammar

Edited by DaM at 23:00:48 05-08-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Aug 2012 22:59:20 14,439 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But it is the Daily Fail.
  • senso-ji 5 Aug 2012 23:04:50 6,042 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another great day at the Olympics. Not as many Gold medals for GB (difficult to top after yesterday) but that 100m was worth the wait. Bolt is unreal. Second fastest 100m in history.

Really looking forward to the 200m now.
  • Restart 5 Aug 2012 23:05:50 4,904 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That 28 Days Later music in the VT was quite appropriate, since Murray has all the charisma of a zombie.
  • Restart 5 Aug 2012 23:13:05 4,904 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazing place to have a live interview with an Olympic champion - outside a pub, surrounded by drunks! :D
  • gammonbanter 5 Aug 2012 23:26:40 1,519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Bolt will go for the 200m record now that he has banished the ghost of the false start in the world champs.
  • El_MUERkO 5 Aug 2012 23:28:34 17,146 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I've got four tickets to Tuesday's Olympic Football Semi-Final between Mexico and South Korea at Wembley and I can no longer attend, if anyone would like them let me know, I'll post them to you registered post along with the travel cards and other documents that came with them as well as a letter that will validate your entry to security should they ask for one. C&P'ing this in a few places.
    Does it matter, I'm giving away £300 worth of tickets. FFS.

Screw it, I'll rip them up.
  • FWB 5 Aug 2012 23:30:46 45,590 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Muerko, if nobody wants them I'd take them and offer them to students at my school.
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 23:40:12 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Does it matter, I'm giving away £300 worth of tickets. FFS.

Screw it, I'll rip them up.
    :eek:

Was just wondering why 4 people would pass up on it.

• senso-ji 5 Aug 2012 23:41:38 6,042 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A man has been arrested for throwing a bottle onto the track right before the 100m final gun went. What a cunt; I bet he was trying to get Bolt to false start to deny him his win.
  • Syrette 5 Aug 2012 23:43:07 44,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    A man has been arrested for throwing a bottle onto the track right before the 100m final gun went. What a cunt; I bet he was trying to get Bolt to false start to deny him his win.
    That's not the full story, the full story is even better...

http://sport.uk.msn.com/olympics-2012/inside-track/blogpost.aspx?post=922302a0-1a94-4df7-8a63-de1627e118bc

A Dutch medal-winning judoka punched a drunken spectator who threw a bottle onto the track moments before the men’s 100m final.

In an incident that threatened to marr the biggest event of London 2012, a bottle landed in the area behind the athletes just fractions of a second before the starting gun.

A man has been arrested.

Dutch judo bronze medallist Edith Bosch tweeted that she had been sitting nearby and had 'beaten' the "drunken" culprit.

Bosch, competing in the 70kg category in her fourth Games, added that she had missed the race as a result.

She reportedly told Dutch TV that the man had shouted "USA" and "Bolt bad".

The sound of the bottle landing was clearly audible on television footage after the starter had told the runners to “set”. A security guard could be seen getting up to approach the offender.

For the first time at the Olympics, any athlete false starting is ejected from the race just as Usain Bolt was at the World Championships last year.

• JBlokeUK 6 Aug 2012 00:07:42 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A friend of mine posted this on Facebook

The World Health Organisation (WHO) have today presented an epidemic called the 'Olympic finger'. Symptoms include a terrible pain in the index finger caused by forever scrolling down to see Australia's medal tally.
    For someone living in Australia and always getting stick for being a 'Pom', it just had to be shared considering how far down the table the Aussies are.

I like it when he's angry.

• FWB 6 Aug 2012 00:16:21 45,590 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not just that it's Australia. It's that they throw so much money at these events. It's why they had success in the past.
  • senso-ji 6 Aug 2012 00:20:50 6,042 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jamaican commentary of Usain Bolt's win

Interesting to compare that to the British commentaries with regards to home favourites.
  • Page

of 273 First / Last