The official London 2012 Olympic Games thread Page 13

• Page

of 273 First / Last

• nickthegun 24 Jun 2011 10:04:13 58,867 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woo! Womens Handball (preliminary stages) here I come!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 24 Jun 2011 10:10:12 14,201 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks like a lot of events are now showing as currently unavailable so maybe submitting the request successfully means you have been allocated them.
  • THFourteen 24 Jun 2011 10:19:16 32,879 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think the whole thing has really been a shambles.

Its a massive sporting event with millions of applicants. The whole point of a ballot is that its a random draw. Exactly like applying for tickets to a football final or world cup or european championships.

Ever tried to buy tickets to an -insert name of popular band here- concert on the day tickets come out? the websites ALWAYS crash.

Whats disgusting about the Wiggins situation isnt so much he didn't get tickets for his family in the ballot, its that the London 2012 committee doesnt provide tickets for the family members of the competitors.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 24 Jun 2011 10:20:25 7,767 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    it does though - 2 per athlete
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2011 10:22:04 58,867 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is that there are so many competitors, if you gave a couple of tickets to each person, there would be no room for anyone else.

But, yeah, its a catch 22. There would have been an uproar about first come first serve the minute the first ticket hit ebay.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 24 Jun 2011 10:22:13 66,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not the website crashing, it's that they can't seem to manage to process things in real time, probably because they didn't invest in a proper back end system. A ballot first time round, no bother. But having to apply again, is ludicrous. Christ, even Arsenal manage to get that one right!
  • Jazzy_Geoff 24 Jun 2011 10:27:52 7,767 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the first round should have been limited to say 6 tickets per person. I know people who applied for £6,000 of tickets just to be sure. Loads of people are going to have more tickets than they need because they can afford to gamble large sums of money and take the hit if they get everything requested (and probably sell them for a mark-up), where people on lower income, who can only afford to apply for a few cheaper tickets have no chance.

6 tickets each = less demand and more chance that everyone gets something. Then whatever's left should have gone to a free-for-all.
  • TheSaint 24 Jun 2011 10:30:28 14,201 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's strange is that the demand is obviously there so why didn't they build a bigger stadium?
  • Dougs 24 Jun 2011 10:48:30 66,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The stadium is big enough, but most seats are taken by sponsors and the IOC family. Just the way of the world these days
  • terminalterror 24 Jun 2011 12:26:25 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    What's strange is that the demand is obviously there so why didn't they build a bigger stadium?

Let's say they built an extra 10,000 seats and sold them all for an average price of £500 across the 15 sessions of Athletics.

That is an extra £75,000,000.

I suspect that wouldn't be enough to cover the increased construction costs, but I have no idea how much more a larger stadium would cost. I'm pretty sure every extra seat you add costs more than the last one, so it would start getting very expensive.
  • terminalterror 24 Jun 2011 12:31:24 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    I think the first round should have been limited to say 6 tickets per person. I know people who applied for £6,000 of tickets just to be sure. Loads of people are going to have more tickets than they need because they can afford to gamble large sums of money and take the hit if they get everything requested (and probably sell them for a mark-up), where people on lower income, who can only afford to apply for a few cheaper tickets have no chance.

6 tickets each = less demand and more chance that everyone gets something. Then whatever's left should have gone to a free-for-all.

As they had the extend application and calculation periods, they could also have had some conditional/prioritising options, e.g. "I really want to see Rowing, I don't care which session you give me" or "I'd prefer to see Shooting than Dressage" or "I don't care what it is that I see, I just want to be there to see something" or "these are the things I'd love to see, but I can't afford more than £200 in total".
  • Deleted user 24 June 2011 12:33:14
    When our school hall ran out of chairs during assemblies we just borrowed them from the lunch room.
  • terminalterror 24 Jun 2011 15:11:23 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    When our school hall ran out of chairs during assemblies we just borrowed them from the lunch room.

Hire this man!
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Jun 2011 16:12:26 7,830 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:

You sat on chairs during assembly?

/sat on the floor of a rubbish school's main hall.
  • urban 20 Jul 2011 20:49:06 10,925 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Biggest Mcdonalds ever!

I think this sums up what I dislike about the olympics in one neatly packaged paragraph

The London organising committee will say that it relies on its own domestic sponsors, who have raised £700m, and the International Olympic Committee's 11 backers, to find two-thirds of its £2bn Games budget. The organisers promise a wide range of food available at the Olympics park, including from local suppliers. But it will all have to be unbranded, with only official sponsors afforded the right to have their names on the food they sell.

Corporate leashes hold tight. The Visa payment kerfuffle was daft too.
  • sport 20 Jul 2011 21:05:39 12,578 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Biggest Mcdonalds ever!

I think this sums up what I dislike about the olympics in one neatly packaged paragraph

The London organising committee will say that it relies on its own domestic sponsors, who have raised £700m, and the International Olympic Committee's 11 backers, to find two-thirds of its £2bn Games budget. The organisers promise a wide range of food available at the Olympics park, including from local suppliers. But it will all have to be unbranded, with only official sponsors afforded the right to have their names on the food they sell.

Corporate leashes hold tight. The Visa payment kerfuffle was daft too.

Fifa were the same with their brand in the run up to the 2010 WC. A friend who works for an Ad agency in SA said they couldn't even put a football in any ad for fear of Fifa coming down hard on them.
  • senso-ji 5 Oct 2011 20:31:13 5,799 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For those lucky enough to have a ticket for the games: Hope you like Big Macs
  • Psychotext 5 Oct 2011 21:25:38 53,854 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a bunch of cunts.
  • terminalterror 5 Oct 2011 22:01:20 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    For those lucky enough to have a ticket for the games: Hope you like Big Macs

It isn't quite that bad:

"Where we are trying to get to is, if you come with a backpack with some sandwiches in, that won't be a problem," he said.

"It would be more of an issue if you came with a massive picnic hamper. With the numbers here, you have to get people in, in large numbers, as quickly as possible. You don't really want people coming in with massive bulky bags."

I can imagine the whole "empty your bottle of water, then refill it on the other side of security" thing will be very annoying.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2011 22:08:09
    It'll be exactly the same as just about every other national stadium event then.

My level of outrage is incalculable.
  • pwagner 18 Oct 2011 16:49:43 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi Guys,

I’ve heard that official agents are the only way to get tickets at this point? Has anyone had any other type of experience with resellers? I missed out in the lottery and looking to get my hands on some tickets…
    Thanks,
    Patrick.
  • Gl3n Moderator 17 May 2012 12:05:39 5,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else benefitting from the current pre-sale?

If you failed to get any tickets in the last two rounds it's online just for you. Sadly i've passed on both the men's semi finals for football and the archery finals as my girlfriend is just too plain uninterested :/

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Trowel 17 May 2012 13:21:20 17,451 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone on the Beeb tweeted that the Spanish site is selling tickets including athletics from 10am tomorrow. Might have to look into that.
  • Dougs 17 May 2012 13:33:28 66,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's not much left - all top price it seems. Not paying £700 per ticket!
  • senso-ji 18 May 2012 19:39:19 5,799 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm excited as anyone else for the Olympics, but do we really need a live broadcast of someone carrying a lantern off a plane?
  • oceanmotion 18 May 2012 19:48:33 15,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus, I thought David Beckham got a knighthood for a second there.
  • El_MUERkO 18 May 2012 23:18:42 16,956 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zorg:

Beckham:

• riz23 20 May 2012 15:16:29 1,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    Anyone else benefitting from the current pre-sale?

If you failed to get any tickets in the last two rounds it's online just for you. Sadly i've passed on both the men's semi finals for football and the archery finals as my girlfriend is just too plain uninterested :/
    I managed to get two tickets to the Womens Beach Volleyball Final and Bronze Medal matches! I love sport me! ;-)

Seriously though, I'm going to the Olympics. Awesome!
  • terminalterror 21 May 2012 11:58:45 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Remaining Paralympic tickets are now on general sale (as of 11am this morning).

Got 2 tickets for Equestrian, because if they are going to really fuck up a field in such a scenic location, I'd at least like to get to partake in the upside :)
  • THFourteen 21 May 2012 12:03:50 32,879 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i got a couple of tickets to the athletics on a wednesday evening.

just want to be able to say i've been and seen the stadium etc whta with living so close!
  • Page

of 273 First / Last