Aion Online The Tower of Eternity Page 4

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• magicpanda 6 Sep 2009 22:04:48 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    sounds a bit horrid, whats wrong with a centralised auction house system? instead you have to browse through hundreds of peoples crap?!

I think its an option rather than an AH replacement
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Sep 2009 22:06:51 38,134 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thor.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Gl3n Moderator 6 Sep 2009 22:09:18 5,561 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Thor.

Elyso? whatever the light faction are called. I honestly wouldn't bother though.
  • InfiniteFury 6 Sep 2009 22:14:04 864 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, that's what I picked, the name stuck out. Not enjoying it Gl3n? I have to admit I think it's luvverly.
  • Gl3n Moderator 6 Sep 2009 22:23:50 5,561 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're a fan of obscure asian fantasy then you might like it. Unfortunately there have been lots of equally obscure (and one could argue, asian) design decisions. It's also really quite bland.

Quick example, no quest designators.. something built into mmorpg's since early WoW add ons five years ago.
  • magicpanda 6 Sep 2009 22:58:40 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quest designators?
  • magicpanda 6 Sep 2009 23:01:00 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they are there.
  • uiruki 6 Sep 2009 23:02:06 3,701 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    If you're a fan of obscure asian fantasy then you might like it. Unfortunately there have been lots of equally obscure (and one could argue, asian) design decisions. It's also really quite bland.

Quick example, no quest designators.. something built into mmorpg's since early WoW add ons five years ago.

The blue arrows over NPCs' heads denote quests. A 'multiple' arrow shows a handin.

edit: I will say, the lack of a auction house being replaced by bellends crowding my screen with their default trade messages is something I think the designers should be murdered for. AFK people adds nothing to any 'atmosphere'.
  • Hypercube 6 Sep 2009 23:03:46 976 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:

Open the quest text, click on the name of the person or area that the quest requires, click locate, get an indicator on the map.

Each name or area acts like a link, so you can find out a lot of information about a quest very easily. In fact, I think it's better than WoW's...

Edit: Ah, I may have misunderstood, but uiruki is right about the quest arrows.
  • Hypercube 6 Sep 2009 23:04:57 976 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Gl3n wrote:

The blue arrows over NPCs' heads denote quests. A 'multiple' arrow shows a handin.

edit: I will say, the lack of a auction house being replaced by bellends crowding my screen with their default trade messages is something I think the designers should be murdered for. AFK people adds nothing to any 'atmosphere'.

There is a central auction house, in the faction's main city. The personal store thing is just if you want to sell stuff direct to people, although I will admit there's often too many of them near the teleport areas in the cities.
  • Gl3n Moderator 6 Sep 2009 23:10:55 5,561 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was referring to a designated area on the map. Not quest givers.

Ta for the heads up with the locate thing (why wasn't that in by default?) :)
  • magicpanda 7 Sep 2009 00:29:40 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have to say I enjoyed that a lot! It's growing on me. Not putting it down as a cheap asian mmo just yet.
  • mkreku 7 Sep 2009 00:32:08 89 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's very pretty, I'll give it that.

But every quest so far has been "fetch me X amounts of Y" or "walk from point A to point B". Kind of disappointing.
  • magicpanda 7 Sep 2009 00:36:09 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The campaign quests are a bit more interesting but still kill quests for the most part with cutscenes. I quite happily drifted off for a few hours mindlessly kicking the shit of various things.
  • shamblemonkee 7 Sep 2009 09:39:57 14,383 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, what's people verdicts, is it the ebst mmo since WoW or just another minnow?
  • ZuluHero 7 Sep 2009 09:47:46 4,145 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Gl3n wrote:

there is an AH.
  • ZuluHero 7 Sep 2009 09:48:49 4,145 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mkreku wrote:
    It's very pretty, I'll give it that.

But every quest so far has been "fetch me X amounts of Y" or "walk from point A to point B". Kind of disappointing.

Thats just typical MMO. How could there be anything else? There are a few hidden quests though - make sure you look at all the crap you pick up! :)
  • ZuluHero 7 Sep 2009 09:50:15 4,145 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    So, what's people verdicts, is it the ebst mmo since WoW or just another minnow?

I like it. Its polished, smooth, clean UI and interesting. Take from this what you will, but i haven't been this excited about an MMO launch since wow :)
  • Dizzy 7 Sep 2009 09:52:18 2,694 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:

It is a WoW carbon-copy with pastel colours. If you are tired of WoW and want something different but similar it probably is a good choice. If you want something different there are much better MMOs around.
  • Whizzo 7 Sep 2009 09:52:53 43,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I very much doubt I'll play after the beta but it's certainly pretty (the original Cryengine looks damn good considering its age) and I'm quite enjoying it. The memory flashback I've had so far was quite nicely done too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MasterNameless 7 Sep 2009 10:12:38 367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far, difficult to make any kind of final judgement though. You can't really judge the game within the first ten levels I don't think, they are just about teaching you the basics and getting you used to the game.

I'm hoping it's going to make a considerable step up at level 10 when you reach ascension. Really looking forward to getting my wings!

I'm on the Balder server, if anyone else is and wants to party up? Character name is Snowblood - not sent a friend invite yet, but I assume that's enough info. :)
  • mathyoubis 7 Sep 2009 10:16:58 65 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I didn't contact anyone, it's down to the fact that the beta doesn't start until tonight. They just send out a badly worded email when you register that suggests you can start playing right away.

Heh, that'd do it.
  • shamblemonkee 7 Sep 2009 10:30:01 14,383 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MasterNameless wrote:
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far, difficult to make any kind of final judgement though. You can't really judge the game within the first ten levels I don't think, they are just about teaching you the basics and getting you used to the game.

I think MMOs need to address that, 10 levels usually represents a fair investment of time, a couple hours at least. That's quite a long time for someone to judge something, especially when you compare that to say how long you give a demo from xbox live to impress.

How exactly to address I don't have the answers for (mass surprise? nah didn't think so! :p) but certainly more in the way of easy to grasp difficult to master should be the mantra and it shouldn't be referring to the UI and communication!
  • magicpanda 7 Sep 2009 10:40:28 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:

It no Wow Killer but it's definitely not the silly asian grindfest I had it down as. It's very polished for beta, looks stunning in places and the art direction is superb I'll give it that. Combat is smooth and responsive, very similar to WoW (almost identical) as opposed to the slightly odd and heavy feel of something like Warhammer.

Apart from that it's standard issue MMO quests, there's nothing inventive or new so far. That said 5 or so hours flew by for me I was quite happy pootling around the environment kicking shit out of stuff. Barely scratched the surface really (lvl 9) but should be flying around this evening.
  • MasterNameless 7 Sep 2009 10:43:10 367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:

I think MMOs need to address that, 10 levels usually represents a fair investment of time, a couple hours at least. That's quite a long time for someone to judge something, especially when you compare that to say how long you give a demo from xbox live to impress.

How exactly to address I don't have the answers for (mass surprise? nah didn't think so! :p) but certainly more in the way of easy to grasp difficult to master should be the mantra and it shouldn't be referring to the UI and communication!

I think you're right there, and it takes quite a bit longer than a couple of hours to do the first ten levels too! Even though it is still a relatively small amount of time for an mmo, MMO veterans probably don't need that long to get used to the interface and newbies to MMO's get an unfair inpression as a lot of them won't even make it passed level 10.

Although, on the flip side, MMO vets are probably used to it and may even enjoy the slow wind up, plus it gives people time to make acquaintances early on while the game isn't too heavy...

Aion actually does try to give you a glimpse of what is to come at least; at one point in the campaign I got a nice cutscene - at level 5 I think I was - seeing my character sprout wings and fly across a very angry looking battlefield. It kind of worked too, as I said earlier, I'm really looking forward to getting my wings. A new perspective like that could really change the feel of the game.
  • mkreku 7 Sep 2009 13:33:12 89 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm only level 6 so far, but this game is boring me senseless. I made a scout and I've picked up every skill available to me (through those manuals) and I still suck at combat. I have ONE skill I can use continuously, and that has like 4-5 seconds of downtime. Fun. My melee does 2-10 hitpoints of damage (!) so basically the only thing that hurts my opponents are those skills.. which are all on slow timers. If I get attacked by more than one creature at a time, I'm screwed.

I don't mind it being difficult, but leaving me with nothing to do in combat except wait and sometimes press ONE button? That's just not fun.

But I am not an MMO expert, I may be doing something fundamentally wrong. One thing may be my weapons. I've filled them with those mana stones you find sometimes, but the weapons I am using are the best ones that were being sold in the shops. I have not found a single weapon from a drop so far! Actually, I have not found ANYTHING which I've been able to use (only a few Ranger's things and stuff that are for level 7 and above..). Another point of boredom. I kind of like playing around with equipment, but NO DROPS for the first six levels?! I may just be unlucky though.

I will continue trudging forward until level 10 at least, since that seems to be some sort of magic limit to people on here.
  • Whizzo 7 Sep 2009 13:47:07 43,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You need to go to a scout trainer and buy some skill books, by level 6 you should have a couple of skills which you can train, including a pretty reasonable back stab.

I've had a couple of weapon/armour/other drops with the two characters, nothing too stellar but better than what I started with, adding mana stones to items is handy and at least you can get them back if you want to re-use them in newer gear.

So far (level 7 with my fighter I think) I've not had to fight more than one thing at a time even if I've been killing a mob right next to another one.

This space left intentionally blank.

• magicpanda 7 Sep 2009 13:56:45 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At Level 7 and the scout should have 5 or 6 active abilities to use in a fight.

Very much like the rogue in WoW. Stealth > sneaky sneaky round the back > Backstab > Evade (which bumps up your dodge skill) on a dodge you can use the Counter skill > Then Soul edge which you can chain to the next soul edge skill. More or less repeat.

It definitely improves a bit once you get past level 5 ish.

I've hit level 9 and I'm on the quest where you decide a path for your character. With a scout it's either a Rogue type setup or a ranged setup (Wow hunter).

That said even with all the buffs you get I found it tricky to take on more than one thing at a time so far.

I've also had some pretty good loot drops including some Fuckme Boots for my class and a rather fetching Beret.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Sep 2009 14:20:38 38,134 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Every time that menu music starts up I think "A TALE OF SOULS AND SWORDS, ETERNALLY RETOLD..."

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 10 First / Last