iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 4

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• NOSAVIOUR 10 Oct 2008 16:36:50 2,804 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Well I emailed them last week and they said they were updating the app soon and that would include an 'unbanning' mechanism, but I think that's bullshit.

Plus if any of their mods actually has a record of what I sent, they ain't unbanning me no matter what excuse I give them.

;)

Ha ha same here. Will try emailing them too with a plee.
  • MrSemprini 10 Oct 2008 17:11:06 9,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.

If you jailbreak you can hack this so that VoIP works too ;)
    Nobody i know uses VOIP stuff, plus this does actually do that anyway as far as I know, over WiFi, with no jailbreaking required.

Could be wrong, of course, but like I say I'd never use it anyway.

I should have been clearer - you can hack it so that VoIP works over 3G. It will work over WiFi as you say.
  • ayrtonsenna 10 Oct 2008 17:33:46 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Email from the Bloom devs:

"Thank you for your email. I'm very sorry that you're experiencing the problem with crackling. We've encountered a handful of people experiencing a similar problem on the latest iPod touch.

We're working hard with Apple to fix the problem, and will let you know as soon as we've found a solution. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience."

\o/
  • Deleted user 10 October 2008 17:42:03
    MrSemprini wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:Fring is a free IM client for all sorts of things, including Skype.

If you jailbreak you can hack this so that VoIP works too ;)
    Nobody i know uses VOIP stuff, plus this does actually do that anyway as far as I know, over WiFi, with no jailbreaking required.

Could be wrong, of course, but like I say I'd never use it anyway.

I should have been clearer - you can hack it so that VoIP works over 3G. It will work over WiFi as you say.
    Ah haaaaa.

Would use it, but like I say, most of my friends and family haven't got a techy brain between them, except my brother but I don't think he could be arsed with Skype.
  • Mike_Hunt 17 Oct 2008 21:10:52 23,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pumpkin is worth a look if you want a cheesy halloween themed app. It basically turns your iphone into a pumpkin lantern, you can select from a range of eyes, noses and mouths and it plays halloween style sound effects. Keeps the little 'un amused anyway.

Catch the egg is a nice original game. You hold the phone vertically and try and catch an egg as it falls from the sky. A nice idea, but not one you'll be playing in public.

Aquaforest Lovely looking game. Slightly lacking in gameplay (about 6/10) but looks stunning (10/10). A great 'show off' game.

[MH]
  • ayrtonsenna 18 Oct 2008 06:43:10 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Everest Expedition is cool if you like staring at pictures :)
  • morriss 18 Oct 2008 17:57:58 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:

Special mention to...

TVersity

Ok, so not really an app you install on your iphone, but by installing it on your PC your iPhone automatically has access to all of your videos/music/photos etc. What's great is this can work both over wifi and over 3g (egde is even ok for music and photos). It's absolutely astounding and it means I no longer have to mess about copying over videos using iTunes anymore! Loving it.

[MH]
    How? I've got a Touch. How do I access my network?
  • Grump 18 Oct 2008 18:14:10 1,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:

Special mention to...

TVersity

Ok, so not really an app you install on your iphone, but by installing it on your PC your iPhone automatically has access to all of your videos/music/photos etc. What's great is this can work both over wifi and over 3g (egde is even ok for music and photos). It's absolutely astounding and it means I no longer have to mess about copying over videos using iTunes anymore! Loving it.

[MH]

Go to 'settings'. The wifi option should be at the top. Selecting it will set your ipod to search for all local wifi networks. Just select your own one and enter you WPA/WEP password.
  • HitchHiker 19 Oct 2008 08:43:09 2,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone mentioned Lux yet?
    Great little Risk game, it's free too :)
  • Jeepers 19 Oct 2008 09:53:57 13,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Lux yet?
    Great little Risk game, it's free too :)

Good find HH - downloading it now!
  • [maven] 19 Oct 2008 09:59:24 5,156 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PuzzleManiak €3.99 - includes a lot of Nikoli puzzle games (in fact most of the ones from here are in there), all are randomly generated with different difficulty levels and includes a daily Web Challenge where you compete against other's times. Worth it alone for Slitherlink.
    You can also buy individual puzzles for €0.79.

Vexed €0.79 - Good port of the Palm OS game including all level-packs.

I'm still looking for a version of Sherlock (Windows) or Hercule (Palm OS)...
  • morriss 19 Oct 2008 12:02:54 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grump wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:

Special mention to...

TVersity

[MH]

Go to 'settings'. The wifi option should be at the top. Selecting it will set your ipod to search for all local wifi networks. Just select your own one and enter you WPA/WEP password.
    Done that. But I don't know how to access the stuff on my Laptop.

TVersity is installed on my lappy.
  • Mike_Hunt 19 Oct 2008 20:22:51 23,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://tversity.com/support/quickstart/

Scroll down to the iphone section...

[MH]
  • lost_soul 19 Oct 2008 20:42:57 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oo, just tried Topple after seeing a video on digg (it's Tetris meets Jengu) and it seems rather good - definitely worth 59p.
  • morriss 19 Oct 2008 20:45:18 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    http://tversity.com/support/quickstart/

Scroll down to the iphone section...

[MH]
    Cheers.
  • morriss 19 Oct 2008 20:59:17 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41952/iphone" I use my laptop IP and get a 404. If I remove the "iphone" bit, I get a message saying that Flash 7 needs to be installed
  • deem 19 Oct 2008 21:02:10 31,641 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Facebook - if you like that kind of thing - Is pretty great

Shazam - obviously

Remote - bloody marvelous

Evernote - handy server based dictaphone

Filemagnet - great for getting movies on the phone without iTunes - supports various formats

Tube Status - handy up to date London Underground info

iFooty - handy Football app for results, scores fixtures etc
  • morriss 19 Oct 2008 21:06:01 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I replaced /iphone with /lib and it works great! :)
  • morriss 19 Oct 2008 21:08:09 70,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oh, all I get is "Safari can't download this file."
  • Rowlsten 21 Oct 2008 16:07:54 674 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had a good play on MazeFinger....

Good but wont play it again, NumbFinger now :(
  • nickthegun 23 Oct 2008 14:53:22 59,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neo Samegame by Hudson is fucking brilliant

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• dr_swin 23 Oct 2008 15:02:03 4,890 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what is the best dictaphone application. I think that would be really handy for recording my kids promises/assertions and playing back to them at a later date.
  • Jeepers 23 Oct 2008 18:47:10 13,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Oxford Concise English Dictionary is available from the app store now - it's £14.99 but I've wanted something like this since I was a nipper.
  • rutter 24 Oct 2008 08:41:02 1,919 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    what is the best dictaphone application. I think that would be really handy for recording my kids promises/assertions and playing back to them at a later date.

There's an app called 'Record' on the app store. It's free at the moment to celebrate the devs (polar bear farm) birthday or summin'.
    Just installing now so haven't tried it - but sounds like it'll do what you need.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2008 08:59:42
    Bloody hell - I`m missing out !!!!!

• Dr-Strangelove 24 Oct 2008 09:09:02 2,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    Any good for you?
  • dr_swin 24 Oct 2008 09:15:12 4,890 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thanks - I'll try recorder.
  • ExcellenceSince1988 26 Oct 2008 14:16:30 2 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    my favourite apps

PicVault - Lets me hide all the pictures of my ex girlfriends from my current one with a password, cant get much better.

Topple - Great game, mix between jenga and tetris, aim is to stack blocks up to a certain height, cant get past level 7 though. Only 59p.

BeejiveIM - the best IM on the iphone, my favourite used to be palringo but this is so much better. Lets you have a display picture and lets you see others, supports landscape mode and unlike palringo it actually lets you change your screen name!! Also unlike palringo it don’t let you send pictures but hopefully that will come with an update. Can block and unblock contacts, delete and add contacts. Supports loads of messengers but iv only used it for MSN. Never crashed on me once. Only downfall is I paid something like £11 for it, I think its gone down to under a tenner now.

Answers - ask a question and let a random teenage American answer it, or answer a American teens question about “is 4inches too small”!! free app and kept me entertained for a couple of minutes. Theres a app like this for yahoo answers now aswell for free, might try it later.

mBoxMail - first app that lets you checks hotmail on the iphone without going through safari. Works like the normal mail app but only lets you add one account. isn’t as fast at downloading emails as the normal app. Also it don’t let you save pictures or any other attachments, and doesn’t let you send pictures. Best feature is that it supports landscape mode for typing. Pretty handy to have if hotmail is your main email account and you need it on the go, not worth £5.99 just yet, needs some updates.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2008 14:25:24
    BeatMaker - expensive but insanely clever mini-sequencer. Missing things a pro would likely bemoan but getting better with each minor update and a fantastic example of what can be done with the current iPhone.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2008 14:27:48
    What it really needs is a call-recording app, but I expect that pisses all over Apple's privacy rules for the App Store.
  • Page

of 366 First / Last