iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 2

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Singularity 19 Sep 2008 14:36:37 2,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Downloading Photoswap now - it sounds awesome! I've been addicted to Cloudy since it came out, but this sounds much better.
  • NOSAVIOUR 19 Sep 2008 14:40:30 2,804 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is awesome fun! Just too much testosterone.. That makes the good pics inbetween all the more worth it though.
  • Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 15:03:47 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Photoswap randomly send a pic with a tag, and get one randomly back. You can then reply to them. Also by clicking on info tab you get to see exactly where it was sent from using google earth. Mint as. Few to many male groins but did get some female ass action and for that alone my most used app.
    /puts the afternoon on hold

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 15:11:08 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ew ew ew!!!

/deletes app

[MH]
  • Vroom 19 Sep 2008 15:22:33 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mmmm,

Just got 3 pics of the floor and one of a dog!

/sends anus again

Vroom

• Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 15:35:35 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must've gotten your pic...

[MH]
  • DrDamn 19 Sep 2008 16:19:18 1,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got load of apps.

Couple already mentioned ...
    Moonlight Mahjong - nicely done and looks great.
    Aurora Feint - a lot like Puzzle Quest in many respects, puzzler meets RPG.
    iFooty - basically a link into BBC Sports page but nice slick interface

Couple of ones not ...
    2 Across - Crossword engine. Download current ones from a big list including some UK sources. Really nicely done, allows you to check words / letters and reveal if you are really stuck.
    Dactyl - Very simple but addictive
    Sol Free - 5 varieties of solitaire

Games by Demoniak ...
    Bridges, LightUp, Loopy + lots more. 59p each and all decent value. Essentially well structured logic type puzzles. Nice interfaces and a nice Web Challenge feature on all of them, where you download a puzzle of the day with a leaderboard.

One final impressive app in terms of integration ...
    Movies - List current box office movies, ratings, story summary, director, actors etc, watch trailers, uses your location to show you times at your nearest cinema - link through to cinema info like phone numbers and location on a map. You can even book tickets through it.

• paul_haine 19 Sep 2008 19:40:33 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrDamn wrote:
    One final impressive app in terms of integration ...
    Movies - List current box office movies, ratings, story summary, director, actors etc, watch trailers, uses your location to show you times at your nearest cinema - link through to cinema info like phone numbers and location on a map. You can even book tickets through it.

This. I've been really impressed by it, though I haven't worked out yet if it'll tell me what's showing over a number of days rather than just today...
  • Singularity 19 Sep 2008 20:38:10 2,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Photoswap = awesome. Although someone has already sent me a picture of his knob. I could've done without that.

I also picked up SW: The Force Unleashed and X-Plane 9 today.

SW is quite interesting: it's like the DS version of the Raw/Smackdown game. You don't control character movement, you just gesture to do Force-y powers. Not great, probably not worth 6, but I'm quite enjoying it - probably more than the 360 demo.

X-Plane could do with a little more content, but I quite like swooping around. A little more pace would go a long way: I've had my plane up to around 450 of whatever units of speed are involved, and it was still quite sedentary, even 200 feet off the ground.

Also got Line Rider recently, which is as awesome as the website was, and Newtonica, which is quite simple but rather compelling.
  • lovely2cu 19 Sep 2008 22:38:43 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apple need to offer demo's like Live, so you have a rough idea what you're buying.

Bought Real Football and X-Plane on a punt. Now RF has been money well spent, while X-Plane is good in a tech demo sort of way, bit lightweight and lifeless, a demo would have come in handy see.
  • piratexcore 19 Sep 2008 22:47:16 73 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    photoswap is simply THE best app. only my battery running out has forced me to stop taking pictures of my feet!
  • ayrtonsenna 19 Sep 2008 23:37:36 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are quite a lot of free 'Lite' versions of paid apps appearing, which seems to be the equivalent of offering demos. Not ideal though.
  • NOSAVIOUR 21 Sep 2008 20:46:34 2,804 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    so I got banned for life from photoswap. Gutted was a good time waster. Just couldn't resist sending sick pics to peeps asking for shots of females only. Glad to have shocked there perversed minds. Sadly now I'm not gonna see no more random sweet ass thongs. Doh
  • SirScratchalot 21 Sep 2008 22:04:57 7,872 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Two recommendations here in GPStracker and TrailGuru. Both require online registration at their respective site to be useful and can then be told to start tracking your whereabouts. Trailguru is best for training sessions, it tracks your speed, whereabouts and some other whatnot and then allowd you to upload it to the internet for looking at later.

GPStracker does the same thing but just saves everything as one long datastream, i.e. not as distinct sessions but links all your movements always into one long trail.
    On the plus side it uploads your position constantly allowing for someone to track you in real time on the web. I use this when I go out cycling late and I want the girlfriend to be able to find me in case something happens.

Both apps are completely free and highly recommended.
  • Mike_Hunt 23 Sep 2008 15:06:23 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok, I've tried photoswap again and it's like crack (once you learn to look past the actual hairy but cracks). Sure, some photos are quite dull, but I enjoy keeping my eye out for something creative to send.

I love getting into a reply competition with someone, that's damn addictive. Does anyone know if it's possible to save images/capture screens? I've been sent some damned weird stuff.

[MH]
  • ayrtonsenna 23 Sep 2008 15:10:05 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can take screengrabs on the iPhone - top button and home button together I think.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2008 15:14:13
    Nothing to see here.
  • Mike_Hunt 23 Sep 2008 15:21:30 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ayrtonsenna wrote:
    You can take screengrabs on the iPhone - top button and home button together I think.
    Ah, sweet, I wish I'd know that earlier. Thanks.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 23 Sep 2008 15:22:09 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Nothing to see here.
    Something about battery life or the fact that the iphone doesn't support MMS perhaps?! ;)

[MH]
  • ayrtonsenna 25 Sep 2008 11:27:31 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought Quordy this morning and it's a great little version of Boggle. Just ignore the possible high score list after each game as the list is full of made up nonsense!
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Sep 2008 11:40:01 35,575 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stanza

An entirely free Ebook reader, which lets you access (without even needing an account) an ever-growing collection of online libraries with hundreds of hundreds of classics, and now also newspapers and more. You could literally download a life's worth of reading within a few minutes, if you wanted.

10/10

• ayrtonsenna 25 Sep 2008 11:50:54 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /grabs
  • Deleted user 29 September 2008 20:09:48
    Is the content ever any good though? I don't like old dusty 'classics' much.
  • SirScratchalot 29 Sep 2008 20:19:44 7,872 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's plenty of excellent Sci-Fi for instance, and books don't have to be 'that' old to be public domain.
  • Davey 29 Sep 2008 20:43:22 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just tried photoswap. I feel dirty.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2008 21:16:52
    I hope I get unbanned from Photoswap soon. I wrote them a very apologetic lie about how my "son" must have got me banned playing with "his dad's new toy" after I went to bed that night, so fingers crossed, eh?
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2008 10:33:18 9,416 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Snapture Premium pisses all over the default camera app.
    Enigmo is a great little game - similar to Lemmings in style.
    Texas Hold 'Em has been getting a few hours sunk into it too.
    Fizz Weather if you want something better than the default weather app
  • ayrtonsenna 30 Sep 2008 10:40:28 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dizzy Bee is fantastic, quite hard in places.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Sep 2008 11:13:16 35,575 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Is the content ever any good though? I don't like old dusty 'classics' much.

This question doesn't compute on any level I am afraid. I don't like "dusty" "classics", either. But I love classics.
  • malteaserhead 30 Sep 2008 11:31:38 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Stanza

An entirely free Ebook reader, which lets you access (without even needing an account) an ever-growing collection of online libraries with hundreds of hundreds of classics, and now also newspapers and more. You could literally download a life's worth of reading within a few minutes, if you wanted.

10/10

Arrgh!

I got a touch for my birthday (the day before you posted this) and like a hasty oaf, downloaded 4 classics (@ a whopping 59p each ;)) before noticing this. :)

Of course all 4 were free on Stanza which seems like a great viewer too.
  • Page

of 366 First / Last