iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 346

• Page

of 367 First / Last

• uiruki 27 Apr 2012 09:28:35 3,719 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 is out and it is fucking shit. The swipe controls are interesting but cancelled out by possibly the worst onscreen dpad I've ever used, while it hobbles along at about 20fps. That's not even mentioning that they seem to have disabled texture filtering and even perspective mapping - it warps like a Saturn game. Also, you have to unlock more than half the characters through the bullshit "secret factor" that no sane person enjoyed in the original console ports.
  • THFourteen 27 Apr 2012 11:08:05 34,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what kind of device are you using?

i dont really feel the urge to play all these beatemups on ios, really don't work without proper controls, unless they dumb it down a bit.
  • uiruki 27 Apr 2012 11:24:42 3,719 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iPad 3. God, the scaling as well. I'm pretty sure it can handle it! KOF had a good attempt at the touchscreen stick, I could do Clark's super throw, but I can SPD about 10% of the time on this.

Edit: doesn't MvC3 Vita have a bunch of touchscreen combos too? I'm pretty sure you can do the magic series just by tapping the screen.

Edited by uiruki at 11:26:24 27-04-2012
  • TechnoHippy 10 May 2012 10:26:06 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started playing Battle for Wesnoth, quite a fun turn based fantasy wargame. Seems to have plenty of campaigns, it should keep my lunchtimes filled for a while.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• THFourteen 10 May 2012 10:50:50 34,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wesnoth is ace. Unfortunately the dev has kinda stopped supporting it now, so there hasnt been an update for ages. Its like advance wars with elfs.

NOVA 3 is out today, looks amazing, but touch screen control for fpsmeh... i might dig out my fling if i can find it!
  • TechnoHippy 10 May 2012 10:54:22 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LostWinds2 is out as well, downloaded it earlier (although I played it on the Wii many moons ago as well). Better than the first game in my opinion. Looks lovely, great little platformer game.

• lucky_jim 15 May 2012 07:24:14 5,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is anybody else hopelessly addicted to New Star Soccer? It's worse than the Kairosoft stuff, I keep meaning to have a quick game and then realising several hours have passed (it kept me up til 1 last night, not such a good idea as I had to be up at 5.30).

I've actually had to swear off it til the weekend, because I'm self-employed nowadays and have too much to do. I've never had a problem doing that, except maybe when Game Dev Story first got its hooks into me, but this is like a crack, heroin and Pringles sandwich.

Edit: Thought I should give some detail for the uninitiated. It's comparable to Kairosoft titles, but it's a casual "footballer sim". You play yourself, at a non-league club, matches are presented in old-school Champman text style until you get the ball, where it turns into a bit of a physics puzzler. If you can ignore the revelation that wind speed is seemingly the most important thing in football (apart from your brand of boots), it's horribly more-ish. It's free, but it's effectively a demo: the career mode locks after 10 matches unless you pay 69p. Other IAPs are totally and utterly ignorable however, I've not even bothered looking at what's available yet (in-game currency I suspect).

Edited by lucky_jim at 07:28:58 15-05-2012
  • FWB 15 May 2012 07:32:38 45,106 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played NSS on the PC. Really enjoyed it. Might have a look at the app version. 69p is nothing.
  • lucky_jim 15 May 2012 07:38:35 5,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't play the PC version, I was a bit surprised when I found out there was one as it seems to suit a touch-screen so well.
  • repairmanjack 15 May 2012 10:30:09 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grabbed Spelltower a couple of days ago... it's like crack; barely put it down. Still liking Triple Town a lot (I think it'll easily be in my top ten games of this year).

Pirates keeps crashing on me, annoyingly. Anyone else tried it?
  • famous_roy 21 May 2012 20:34:13 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else got SpellSword? It's effing good!

Think Super Crate Box with RPG elements, it's hot and I like it.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Wobble 22 May 2012 10:10:09 1,028 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    Anyone else got SpellSword? It's effing good!

Think Super Crate Box with RPG elements, it's hot and I like it.
    Yeah it is pretty good, however the fiddlyness of the platforms on the second map is getting a bit annoying, and to think i was really looking forward to getting away from those stupid hanging balls on map 1.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 22 May 2012 11:21:30 7,014 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm ever so slightly obsessed with New Star Soccer having picked it up after it was reviewed on the front page.

With my first club - Eastwood Town - I was instrumental in the double-whammy of securing promotion from the Conference North Division to the National Division and winning the FA Cup. I then jumped ship for a good pay rise and goal bonus to the giants of Swindon where we currently top League 2 and are still in the FA and League Cups...
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 May 2012 14:43:59 3,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pac-man-ate-my-wife wrote:
    I'm ever so slightly obsessed with New Star Soccer having picked it up after it was reviewed on the front page.
    Exactly this.

I tried it because it was free and the EG review said it was good, i really wasnt prepared for just how good it is though. The last time an iOS game grabbed me like this (and wouldnt let go!) was Game Dev Story......both are level in terms of being simple yet VERY high quality and VERY addictive.

Fantastic game.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• opalw00t 25 May 2012 14:55:41 11,246 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moto Heroez by RedLynx is free this week - Trials with buggies!

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Slurmseh 26 May 2012 02:46:18 2,352 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where the fuck did my day go. Last thing I remember was starting a career in NSS. And now it's hours later and I've just signed for Galway Utd.
  • IMadeThis 28 May 2012 05:58:55 1,038 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was gonna promote the game Oh! Cube before now, a great 3D picross style game.

Now's an even better time to say 'go get it!' for it's currently free via FreeAppADay - da-dah!
  • Flying_Pig 28 May 2012 08:01:02 11,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Where the fuck did my day go. Last thing I remember was starting a career in NSS. And now it's hours later and I've just signed for Galway Utd.
    This. Started yesterday, and already Mrs F_P has threatened to confiscate my phone. I haven't had it this bad since Grand Prix Story!
  • TechnoHippy 28 May 2012 16:13:11 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having a bash on Slingshot Racing at the moment. Simple idea, but good fun.

• Deleted user 29 May 2012 11:08:51
    Anyone who enjoyed King Cashing should give Tower of Fortune a try. It's kind of similar game but with very old-school graphics (think Gameboy) and very addictive. I personally can't put it down.
  • Blakester 29 May 2012 11:14:48 3,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Having a bash on Slingshot Racing at the moment. Simple idea, but good fun.
    I'll second that recommendation.

Takes a while to really 'get' the game mechanics, but once it clicks it's hugely satisfying to zip around the tracks using the dials.

Ticks the box of being a race game that embraces the limitations of a touch screen.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• JBlokeUK 31 May 2012 09:23:08 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know it's already been mentioned but New Star Soccer really is brilliant. If you don't have it yet then your a fool, a fool I tells ya!

I like it when he's angry.

• f00b_inc 31 May 2012 12:55:06 704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 for New Star Soccer. Horribly addictive. Makes me wonder if I'd enjoy Football Manager too?

What's the deal with Plague Inc? I saw a Pandemic 2.5 sitting near the top spot but seems to have been replaced with the former! Either worth a dabble?
  • thedaveeyres 2 Jun 2012 14:10:28 11,411 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dungeon Village has finally been released. I think I can safely say, even without playing it, that is will be ace and suck hours of my life away.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• lucky_jim 2 Jun 2012 14:38:49 5,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    Anyone who enjoyed King Cashing should give Tower of Fortune a try. It's kind of similar game but with very old-school graphics (think Gameboy) and very addictive. I personally can't put it down.
    I tried to pimp this in the App of the Day comments but I don't think anyone bit. It's really very good though, highly more-ish.
  • Tricky 3 Jun 2012 15:52:39 4,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    +1 for New Star Soccer. Horribly addictive. Makes me wonder if I'd enjoy Football Manager too?

What's the deal with Plague Inc? I saw a Pandemic 2.5 sitting near the top spot but seems to have been replaced with the former! Either worth a dabble?
    Had a dabble with Plague Inc. Only one game so far but very interesting - could well get a lot of play whilst the wife is watching shite on the TV I reckon.
  • IMadeThis 5 Jun 2012 09:04:21 1,038 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sonic & Sega All Star Racing free currently. All y'all that don't have, get. Easily one of the best racers on ios.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Jun 2012 16:11:00 5,350 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh my goodness ...

... 'Draw Something' has been updated and is ten bazillion times worse than it used to be.

It looks awfully untidy.

Boo-hoo ... : (
  • repairmanjack 13 Jun 2012 16:43:31 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Oh my goodness ...

... 'Draw Something' has been updated and is ten bazillion times worse than it used to be.

It looks awfully untidy.

Boo-hoo ... : (
    I've never updated it, still play the "vanilla" version, as I have no interest in seeing how Zynga had destroyed it.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Jun 2012 18:55:00 5,350 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    I've never updated it, still play the "vanilla" version, as I have no interest in seeing how Zynga had destroyed it.
    Their first update a month back was actually good.

... but it is genuinely awful now.

A clean and simple interface is all a straightforward game like 'Draw Something' requires ... I envy anyone who hasn't updated to the newest version!
  • Page

of 367 First / Last