iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread

• Page

of 366 First / Last

Previous
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Aug 2008 13:06:19 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How's about a thread where we all post any good finds (and must avoid) apps for the iPhone/iPod touch? If you're submitting a mini review it's probably best to start your post in bold so that it's possible to tell the reviews from the general chat.

I'll go first:

Locly
    Free ap, available from the appstore. It either uses the inbuilt GPS of the 3G iPhone, or your local base station data to provide you with information regarding your local surroundings.

I live quite a way out from Manchester in a smallish town and I could pull up a helluva lot of info about pubs, resturants, local taxi firms and events (I've just learned that there's the annual gravy wrestling championship on next weekend, down the road!).

The other bonus is you can click a link and it'll automatically load up maps and show you where the place is! Very well designed, and a must have app IMO.

Tap Tap Revenge
    This is a free rhythm game which is almost guitar-hero like. Again, it's really well designed, very slick, and is really good fun to play. The graphics and music help show off the iphone too, which is a bonus.

Froz
    Free game - Zork (and friends) on your iPhone. Need I say more?!

Aurora Feint
    Some sort of iPhone MMO game (again free), and it's incredibly well designed (especially considering it's free). It's a bit of a puzzle/strategy game which allows you to link in with your friends (although I've not tried that yet). The puzzle/mining game is great fun though.

Anyone got any others?

[MH]
  • mrharvest 15 Aug 2008 13:18:51 5,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WritingPad
    This should really be an optional input method for all the applications. You trace the sequence of letters in the word you want to write without lifting your finger and it analyses what word it is. Works remarkably well and is much quicker than tapping the keys individually.
  • lovely2cu 25 Aug 2008 23:07:50 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really should be more activity in this thread. Loads of great apps out there!

Anyway I recommend Palringo. MSN on your iPhone innit? Full of win.
  • crwoody 26 Aug 2008 13:41:06 2,613 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lovely2cu wrote:
    Really should be more activity in this thread. Loads of great apps out there

Your right about that!

Right now i cant stop playing papijump great little game to waste time with.
  • Pooley 26 Aug 2008 14:14:43 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tris, the Appstore free version of Tetris, is going to be removed from the store tomorrow. Get it quick whilst it's still there.

Sol Free is another good free game for Solitaire fans.
  • Shinji 26 Aug 2008 14:31:02 5,903 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TwitterFon is by far the best of a fairly large batch of Twitter apps. Basic functionality, but fast and stable.

WikiMe is a good companion to Locly - it finds your present location and then gives you Wikipedia entries for stuff near you. Really nice for finding out stuff about your local area's history, or for passing a few moments in a place you don't know well.

Shazam is much like the 8520 service on your phone, but it's free and it gives you cover artwork, direct links to buy in iTunes or look at videos on YouTube etc. Rather handy.

Graffitio is great in big cities. You can make entries ("walls") for anywhere you think people should know about, and post comments on them - as well as seeing what other people reckon is worth saying about the area you're in. Lots of crap up there, predictably, but also some nice pointers for great little bars and eateries.

Finally, for Londoners, TubeStatus is a neat, fast little app that gives you an up to the minute summary of service on every London Underground line and the DLR.
  • ram 26 Aug 2008 14:36:03 3,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favs

Cricinfo web app - not on store you have to go to cricinfo for it.

iRibbit - very useful ebay app

Units - handy app that converts various measurements e.g. weight, temp, currency etc
  • yegon 27 Aug 2008 11:57:32 5,278 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use Diggerific a fair bit, basically a free app that links to Dig stuff. Loads stuff in it's own browser, or you can choose to use Safari. Tends to crash after viewing about 5 or 10 stories.

Strangely, the App Store is now listing it as Shovel 0.59 & Shovel Donate at 2.99! Weird.
  • Mike_Hunt 27 Aug 2008 12:04:55 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lovely2cu wrote:
    Really should be more activity in this thread. Loads of great apps out there!

Anyway I recommend Palringo. MSN on your iPhone innit? Full of win.
    I just log on to meebo, but I guess that would work well too. I'm just annoyed that certain apps can run in the background.

[MH]
  • lovely2cu 30 Aug 2008 12:21:54 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iCopter, aka Helicopter

Fun, addictive little game, iPhone is the perfect platform with its tap, tap controls.

Bit too responsive the controls atm I think but there's an update coming soon to fix that.
  • Mike_Hunt 5 Sep 2008 23:15:30 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some more from me...

Cuberunner is a great little motion sensi-style game
    PapiJump another great (and addictive) motion sensi-style game
    Bubbles where you, um, pop bubbles. It keeps my 2 year old entertained.

Special mention to...

TVersity

Ok, so not really an app you install on your iphone, but by installing it on your PC your iPhone automatically has access to all of your videos/music/photos etc. What's great is this can work both over wifi and over 3g (egde is even ok for music and photos). It's absolutely astounding and it means I no longer have to mess about copying over videos using iTunes anymore! Loving it.

[MH]
  • piratexcore 6 Sep 2008 17:13:17 73 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourites

ifooty - football scores, news, tables etc

Last fm - great free radio service. Just search for the artist and away you go.

Wikipanion - never will I be without wikipedia again.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Sep 2008 17:15:31 38,256 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    piratexcore wrote:
    Wikipanion - never will I be without wikipedia again.
    You say that like it's a good thing :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Vinicity 9 Sep 2008 14:45:41 209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone tried Spore Origins yet? It was apparently released this week...
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Sep 2008 12:58:09 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Air Share is out now and free for two weeks only. It allows you to share documents between your PC and iPhone via wireless. It looks fantastic - downloading now.

[MH]
  • tombo 10 Sep 2008 13:05:34 2,099 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Air Share is out now and free for two weeks only. It allows you to share documents between your PC and iPhone via wireless. It looks fantastic - downloading now.

[MH]

There's been a couple of paid ones of this type already - Datacase is one, but I'm chuffed that there's a free one.
    If it's free for a couple of weeks perhaps they've got plans for a couple of major features that they think the tightarses will fork out for.
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Sep 2008 22:53:01 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Then they underestimate just how tight my arse is.

Or something.

[MH]
  • ayrtonsenna 18 Sep 2008 19:14:31 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there a decent unbiased site that lists all the good apps on the store? Far too much shit to wade through for me (about to buy a Touch).
  • HoriZon 18 Sep 2008 19:16:58 13,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tetris its bloody great fun still!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• ayrtonsenna 18 Sep 2008 19:21:11 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that the official EA one? (Is that the only one now?)
  • HoriZon 18 Sep 2008 19:22:00 13,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ayrtonsenna wrote:
    Is that the official EA one? (Is that the only one now?)

Yeah its about a fiver i got Tris when it was up that was free but this is 100% more better than that tbh.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• ayrtonsenna 18 Sep 2008 19:43:39 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /need to sell my 8gb 3rd gen nano
  • lovely2cu 18 Sep 2008 22:23:31 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Real Football 2009 - Better than you'd think. Naturally controls are an issue at first but once you get used to them it plays really well, a bit like Pro Evo actually. I recommend for mobile footie fans!
  • Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 13:33:31 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ayrtonsenna wrote:
    Is there a decent unbiased site that lists all the good apps on the store? Far too much shit to wade through for me (about to buy a Touch).
    Yup, just look here :)

[MH]
  • swede 19 Sep 2008 13:46:47 395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    xplane 9 is amazing (one airport, 4 planes). A bit limited, but as a technical showpiece - incredible.

I hope the developer spruces it up with a bit of extra scenery in the coming months.
  • Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 13:59:43 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only gone and put my hand in my pocket and bought a couple of apps...

Koi Pond is lovely, a great "show off" app and my 2 year old absolutely loves it

I've been hunting around for the best Todo/GTD app and I had no choice but to pay to get the functionality I wanted (decent interface and the ability to work offline but sync with an popular online app like toodledo/RTM) so I bought

ToDo by Apigo, and it's absolutely great. Autosyncs each time it's loaded and uses intelligent icons to nag you.

[MH]
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2008 14:04:11 59,957 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mocha VNC is a decent VNC tool.

Solfree is a good solitaire game.

Moonlight Mahjong is strangely impressive for a mahjong game.

Midomi is pretty good. Its one of those 'what song am i listening to?' thingers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mike_Hunt 19 Sep 2008 14:11:22 23,514 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    swede wrote:
    xplane 9 is amazing (one airport, 4 planes). A bit limited, but as a technical showpiece - incredible.

I hope the developer spruces it up with a bit of extra scenery in the coming months.
    Looks nice, but just doesn't seem worth the 6 price tag.

[MH]
  • [maven] 19 Sep 2008 14:22:07 5,156 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Earthscape is free for a limited time (but mostly with low-res data outside the US).
  • NOSAVIOUR 19 Sep 2008 14:27:10 2,804 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Photoswap randomly send a pic with a tag, and get one randomly back. You can then reply to them. Also by clicking on info tab you get to see exactly where it was sent from using google earth. Mint as. Few to many male groins but did get some female ass action and for that alone my most used app.
  • Page

of 366 First / Last

Previous