London Restaurant Recommendations

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • askew 14 Aug 2008 11:40:55 11,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yo,

I'm finishing my placement tomorrow evening, and hoped to go to Fifteen for dinner afterwards. Unfortunately I've left it too late to get a table for four.

Any recommended restaurants that won't break the bank? I'm thinking around 40/person.
  • kalel 14 Aug 2008 11:42:41 83,784 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    POW!
  • kalel 14 Aug 2008 11:43:16 83,784 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, that doesn't work. Search for 'London restaurants', there's a couple of threads.
  • tombo 14 Aug 2008 11:43:28 2,078 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OXO Tower near Waterloo / Borough
  • JuanKerr 14 Aug 2008 11:44:06 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Oh, that doesn't work. Search for 'London restaurants', there's a couple of threads.

Using that POW! made you look rather foolish didn't it ;)
  • JuanKerr 14 Aug 2008 11:45:02 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    tombo wrote:

+1

There's one on the second floor and one on the fifth or sixth. I've only been to the lower one, which is less exclusive, but still has a great view and isn't horribly over-priced.
  • tombo 14 Aug 2008 11:45:53 2,078 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    tombo wrote:

+1

There's one on the second floor and one on the fifth or sixth. I've only been to the lower one, which is less exclusive, but still has a great view and isn't horribly over-priced.

+1 on the lower one.
  • askew 14 Aug 2008 11:46:12 11,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice.
  • Shinji 14 Aug 2008 11:51:42 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What kind of food/setting do you fancy?

Baltic is a little off the beaten track (just next to Southwark station), but serves hearty, excellent Eastern European food and great cocktails.

Fire and Stone in Covent Garden is fantastic for posh pizza and Italian-style food - bit boisterous inside, rather than a calm dining room, but still a good night out.

Gaucho Grill has a few restaurants around the capital - there's one near Piccadilly Circus which is handy for most people - and they do absolutely fantastic steaks (although their sides can be a bit variable.

Or there's Bincho Yakitori at the Oxo Tower - Japanese food and beers, with a setting looking over the river to St Pauls, and the option of popping upstairs to the great cocktail bar in the tower afterwards.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Aug 2008 11:53:25 41,831 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Something for every budget and every mood:

Coq D'Argent. The best roof garden I've seen, bar none, and rarely a queue. 30 for a good bottle of Chablis and 6 for a cosmopolitan. Better just for drinking though.

Crazy Bear, just off TCR at Goodge St Tube. Take in your iPod with a playlist and they'll pipe your music over your table. Also has brilliant food and the best toilets I've ever seen (never thought I'd say that).

The Stockpot, for the gentleman on a budget. Two of you will get fed for under 10 in about 30 minutes, and then you can hit the town. Proper grub as well.

The Trafalgar Roof Garden, 5 entry if you're not staying at the hotel but worth it for the view. White leather sofas, more bar staff than guests, and vwery strong cocktails.

NPG Restaurant. Another great view of London, and the best house white I've come across. I've claimed more meals on expenses here than all other London restaurants put together. White linen tablecloths, no need to book and won't break the bank. Closes early.

And of course, the MIGHTY MIGHTY Gordon's Wine Bar. Unlike anywhere you'll ever go. Every gentleman should drop in.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• deem 14 Aug 2008 11:54:47 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Crazy Bear toilets are ace.
  • askew 14 Aug 2008 11:55:25 11,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom's Place looks quite cool. OXO seems to be out of my compatriots price range, the dastards.
    Fire and Stone looks good :D

Cheers folk.
  • GingerMagician 14 Aug 2008 11:55:40 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On that sort of budget, I'd recommend Galvin (on Baker St, not the Hilton one), Arbutus or Magdalen.
  • JuanKerr 14 Aug 2008 11:56:28 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

And of course, the MIGHTY MIGHTY Gordon's Wine Bar. Unlike anywhere you'll ever go. Every gentleman should drop in.

Fuck restaurants - just get a Subway and spend your evening here. Love this place.
  • Shinji 14 Aug 2008 11:58:48 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forgot Crazy Bear - that place is awesome. Its toilets are topped, however, by a Philippe Starck designed bar/restaurant I went to once - largely because Starck is such an obtuse cunt that he filled the entire bathroom with strange alcoves full of running water. You can linger in there pretending to wash your hands for about five minutes, just to watch tipsy blokes getting incredibly confused about which alcoves it's okay to piss in, and ending up doing so in the sink or on a potplant. Awesome.
  • GingerMagician 14 Aug 2008 11:58:55 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, L'Autre Pied is worth a look - from the people who run the two-Michelin-starred Pied A Terre on Charlotte St.
  • GingerMagician 14 Aug 2008 12:00:07 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    Forgot Crazy Bear - that place is awesome. Its toilets are topped, however, by a Philippe Starck designed bar/restaurant I went to once - largely because Starck is such an obtuse cunt that he filled the entire bathroom with strange alcoves full of running water. You can linger in there pretending to wash your hands for about five minutes, just to watch tipsy blokes getting incredibly confused about which alcoves it's okay to piss in, and ending up doing so in the sink or on a potplant. Awesome.
    Aren't those the toilets in the Sanderson Hotel (a Starck-designed place)?
  • askew 14 Aug 2008 12:00:35 11,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorted: Fire and Stone. Might not quite be fine dining, but still. Looking forward to it.

PS: You guys are awesome :D
  • Shinji 14 Aug 2008 12:02:36 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wasn't actually thinking of the Sanderson (it was the Asahi Building in Tokyo I had in mind), but now you mention it, yeah, he did a similar thing there. He obviously takes juvenile amusement in getting people to piss all over the place.

Which is fair enough, because it IS very funny.

There's a bar somewhere in Soho with toilets where the urinals, sinks and hand dryers all look exactly the same, too - they're all like strange eggs growing out of the wall. By the end of the night, there WILL be people pissing in the hand dryer.
  • GingerMagician 14 Aug 2008 12:04:29 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    I wasn't actually thinking of the Sanderson (it was the Asahi Building in Tokyo I had in mind), but now you mention it, yeah, he did a similar thing there. He obviously takes juvenile amusement in getting people to piss all over the place.

Which is fair enough, because it IS very funny.

There's a bar somewhere in Soho with toilets where the urinals, sinks and hand dryers all look exactly the same, too - they're all like strange eggs growing out of the wall. By the end of the night, there WILL be people pissing in the hand dryer.
    While we're on the weird toilet tip, you must have seen the ones at Sketch that look like giant versions of the eggs from Alien - you half-expect a facehugger to pop out when you open the door...
  • nickthegun 14 Aug 2008 12:07:22 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second the Gaucho Grill.

They do a good in house bottle of lager too.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 14 Aug 2008 12:17:07 64,854 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah The Stockpot. Pretty average really, but for the price you can't beat it. Ideal for a quick stomach liner before going on the lash, not quite one for taking a lady too though. There's another they run too - Something Kitchen? I forget
  • Razz 14 Aug 2008 12:24:07 59,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    +1 to Gaucho Piccadilly, Crazy Bear, and Coq D'Argent.

I'd also recommend Harlem - if you fancy something a little different. They serve American soul food. I.e. corn bread, pan fried catfish, calamari, buffalo chicken wings. I went there recently with some mates and the food was fliping sumptuous. I'm defo going back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• dickrickulous 14 Aug 2008 12:25:11 295 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Second the Gaucho Grill.

They do a good in house bottle of lager too.

There is one of these in Manchester which I'm considering going to. Is it worth the money?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Aug 2008 12:26:12 24,549 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes. Awesome steaks that you get to hand pick before they cook them.
  • nickthegun 14 Aug 2008 12:29:11 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im a big, big fan of Ribeye and it was one of the nicest ive had.

The only steak ive had nicer than that was cut and cooked by my old man who used to be a butcher.

Be aware, though that if you think the steak is expensive, you are paying for just the steak. Fries, mashed potato and so on are all extra sides.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• tombo 14 Aug 2008 12:30:12 2,078 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

Not strictly true - they have a board with fresh samples on illustrating the various sizes and cuts.

But it's very good meat. Unless you're really squeemish you can't go any more than medium-rare: trust the high quality meat and you'll be rewarded.

I found the house beer quite gasseous and filled me up more than other lagers.

Oh, and go for the free cheese bread or ask if they have any.
  • GingerMagician 14 Aug 2008 12:31:19 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    You don't actually pick the individual steak - they just bring 'em out to show you the various different cuts they do.

The garlic and lime marinated Churrasco (sp?) cut is well worth a try for something a bit different - very thin though, so don't have it anything more than rare!
  • dickrickulous 14 Aug 2008 12:32:02 295 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Might check it out in the next fortnight or so....
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Aug 2008 12:32:23 24,549 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, alright, maybe I exaggerated a little :)

The staff are excellent too, and if you're with someone who doesn't know their steaks, they will describe what each is like and what the best way to have them cooked is.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous