The new interesting mysteries thread Page 6

  • Page

    of 65 First / Last

  • Pinewood_Groves 14 Aug 2008 12:02:41 1,347 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    A moment of whimsy at the middle of the day. The Poe Toaster.

    Cool!

    Shame the new Poe Toaster is a twat, though.
  • MrSensible 14 Aug 2008 12:21:15 26,523 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the new Toaster seems quite funny. He's probably just doing it to wind the Poe Society people up.

    Well, I hope so anyway. If he actually hates the French for that then he's a twat.
  • Cappy 14 Aug 2008 13:23:11 13,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jozz wrote:
    Delphine LaLaurie probably. Properly fucked up that was.

    I was utterly horrified, but then you start to think about it and realise that most of it must be a folk tale. It has all the classic embellishments such as the vague suggestion that Delphine's parents were killed in a slave revolt.

    And 75 skeletons, that's tonnes of decaying people inside a house. You simply wouldn't be able to live in a house with perhaps 20-30 corpses in varying states of decomposition at any one time stuffed under the floorboards. Just one corpse even with much more work put into disposal will make an unbearable stench that gets noticed, as the cases of murderers like Dennis Nielsen have shown.

    Even in a large house, 75 dead people would take up an enormous amount of room and Delphine would have needed a team of servants just to help with the servants she was killing, unless someone wants to include weightlifting and DIY as her favorite hobbies to further embellish the story. Then there is the economic reality of somebody doing the equivalent of buying two cars a month and just driving them into a river since we can assume that the 75 stowed under the floor is just the tip of the iceberg it's a surprise that Delphine wasn't bankrupt.

    In the end what we have here is a horror story, and an illustration of how even relatively recent history can be totally obscured and lost in myth.
  • MrSensible 14 Aug 2008 13:39:51 26,523 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We need someone to look it up on/in something more reliable than a Wiki. I want facts. It's one of the most intriguing tales I've ever heard.

    /pens screenplay
  • MrSensible 14 Aug 2008 13:46:37 26,523 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why did it burn? WHY DID IT BURN!?!?!
  • jozz 14 Aug 2008 14:03:54 4,871 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's these two notices that sort of confirm that it's probably been embellished somewhat, or completely fabricated..
    This article or section may fail to make a clear distinction between fact and fiction.
    Please edit this article, according to the fiction guidelines, to meet Wikipedia's quality standards.
    This article needs additional citations for verification.
    Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2007)

    Anyway, thread needs moar interesting mysteries
  • askew 14 Aug 2008 14:09:47 15,562 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Why did it burn? WHY DID IT BURN!?!?!

    glol! I love that highlights reel.
  • Deleted user 14 August 2008 14:12:40
    Octopus wrote:
    I hope Nicolas Cage does not make a movie based on this. It needs the craft of a Fincher or someone not shit to make an interesting and horrifying tale.

    75 corpses sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

    Funnily enough, he bought the house!

    Estate agent: Okay Mr Cage, through here we have the kitchen.

    Cage: HOW'D IT GET BURNED?! HOW'D IT GET BURNED HOW'D IT GET BURNED?!
  • MrSensible 14 Aug 2008 14:14:42 26,523 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @deathgibbon

    glol! Post of the decade :D
  • Deleted user 14 August 2008 14:17:20
    And imagine if he doesn't pay his rent...

    Cage: KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN MONEY!
  • convercide 14 Aug 2008 19:59:19 6,423 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This film is loosely based on the Delphine LaLaurie horrors.
  • ecu 14 Aug 2008 20:33:29 80,114 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    jozz wrote:
    Delphine LaLaurie probably. Properly fucked up that was.

    I was utterly horrified, but then you start to think about it and realise that most of it must be a folk tale. It has all the classic embellishments such as the vague suggestion that Delphine's parents were killed in a slave revolt.

    And 75 skeletons, that's tonnes of decaying people inside a house. You simply wouldn't be able to live in a house with perhaps 20-30 corpses in varying states of decomposition at any one time stuffed under the floorboards. Just one corpse even with much more work put into disposal will make an unbearable stench that gets noticed, as the cases of murderers like Dennis Nielsen have shown.

    Even in a large house, 75 dead people would take up an enormous amount of room and Delphine would have needed a team of servants just to help with the servants she was killing, unless someone wants to include weightlifting and DIY as her favorite hobbies to further embellish the story. Then there is the economic reality of somebody doing the equivalent of buying two cars a month and just driving them into a river since we can assume that the 75 stowed under the floor is just the tip of the iceberg it's a surprise that Delphine wasn't bankrupt.

    In the end what we have here is a horror story, and an illustration of how even relatively recent history can be totally obscured and lost in myth.

    I assumed the bodies were buried under the house and in the garden, and I can easily imagine someone doing this. Most of the slaves were young children, they wouldn't even have had the foresight to rebel against her. I also think her husband was involved in this too.

    Strange story, though. It could have been entirely fabricated. Her house is the most famous/popular ghost house in New Orleans, which may be why the story still persists.
  • ecu 14 Aug 2008 20:39:54 80,114 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or possibly got her other slaves to dispose of the bodies.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 Aug 2008 10:27:24 12,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wow, that's shocking. I wonder if she/the family have some descenants around still
  • MetalDog 15 Aug 2008 10:33:22 24,080 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So you can persecute them? =)
  • Deleted user 15 August 2008 10:36:20
    I'm calling completely exaggerated personally - experiments and things on already dead bodies, bad treatment of slaves and burying a few who died I can see. But considering that neighbours complained when the girl fell of the balcony, hiding the viscious torture (somehow I doubt whether they'd take in silence) and burying of so many bodies seems a little silly to say the least.
  • glaeken 15 Aug 2008 10:50:58 11,884 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The property where the 75 bodies were said to be found is also over 200 years old and if the bodies were really found who knows why they were really there. It occurs to me they could be victims of something like a Cholera or Typhus outbreak or even related to the civil war. Maybe the building was built on top of a previous burial site.

    It just seems there are many possibilities and lack of follow up investigation on the bodies indicates to me that the 75 bodies being found claim may even be fake.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 15 Aug 2008 11:49:35 14,556 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Funny gnome mystery.

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8zXV74Sh3Qc
  • Dirtbox 15 Aug 2008 11:53:20 89,290 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • phAge 15 Aug 2008 11:55:16 25,196 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    The property where the 75 bodies were said to be found is also over 200 years old and if the bodies were really found who knows why they were really there. It occurs to me they could be victims of something like a Cholera or Typhus outbreak or even related to the civil war. Maybe the building was built on top of a previous burial site.

    It just seems there are many possibilities and lack of follow up investigation on the bodies indicates to me that the 75 bodies being found claim may even be fake.
    Reminds me of that time when a Russian army helicopter crashed into a cemetary, and they found almost 200 casualties.
  • ecu 15 Aug 2008 17:03:03 80,114 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    The property where the 75 bodies were said to be found is also over 200 years old and if the bodies were really found who knows why they were really there. It occurs to me they could be victims of something like a Cholera or Typhus outbreak or even related to the civil war. Maybe the building was built on top of a previous burial site.

    It just seems there are many possibilities and lack of follow up investigation on the bodies indicates to me that the 75 bodies being found claim may even be fake.
    Reminds me of that time when a Russian army helicopter crashed into a cemetary, and they found almost 200 casualties.

    I thought that crashed over Ireland? :) That's how our version of the joke went, anyway.
  • MetalDog 18 Aug 2008 10:21:45 24,080 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Have we done the Ebay Dibbuck box yet?
  • pjmaybe 18 Aug 2008 10:31:20 70,666 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cool! Liked that one.

    Recent bigfoot find looks like it was a fake then, unsurprisingly..
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Aug 2008 14:15:08 16,674 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What could Google Maps be hiding?

    Okay, it's probably just a cloud, or a seam but this link from the comments has a bunch of Google Map edits.
  • JediMasterMalik 18 Aug 2008 14:31:26 11,820 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Have we done the Ebay Dibbuck box yet?

    That's an awesome read. It's a shame it's tough to qualify any of that though.
  • ecu 18 Aug 2008 22:08:25 80,114 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Have we done the Ebay Dibbuck box yet?

    Brilliant stuff. I'd love to believe it..

    They're making a movie about it. Also that they're releasing a book with new info in, and a documentary about it, leads me to believe it's just a viral.
  • MetalDog 18 Aug 2008 22:16:50 24,080 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That fucking picture!

    Like Peej, I was mentally scarred at a young age seeing that in a copy of The Unexplained. Even now, if my legs get a bit warm in bed I have to check them.
  • heyyo 18 Aug 2008 22:18:30 14,356 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Octopus wrote:
    What about spontaneous human combustion?

    http://z.about.com/d/paranormal/1/7/k/A/shc_lg.jpg

    Do let FFS see that, he might have another breakdown.
  • MetalDog 18 Aug 2008 22:18:44 24,080 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Brilliant stuff. I'd love to believe it..

    They're making a movie about it. Also that they're releasing a book with new info in, and a documentary about it, leads me to believe it's just a viral.

    I've known about it for years and years, so I suspect any viral elements are recent to promote the movie. Doesn't mean it's not a hoax though.

    Still a damn good read, regardless.
  • Page

    of 65 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.