Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote: I raav ruu raggy.
    Thaanks Scoob! ;P

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 17:25:28 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re: Costs. DVDs in Japan are about 15 typically. BRDs are about 25 typically. Each
    can be found cheaper, if you manage to find a bargain, but that's the going rate. >:-/

I put it to you that BRDs are too expensive sir. In Europe, DVDs quickly came down to 10 or less of your so-called English pounds. By contrast, the same movies hardly fucking came down at all in price. I conclude, sir, that they are very expensive.

If the players were cheaper, I'd buy. Or, if the BRDs were cheaper, I'd suck it up and get one. But alas, they don't seem to be.

I'll tell you what though Bob. :) You find me a decent BRD playing surround sound system, and I'll give you a box of scooby snacks. NO! Two boxes of scooby snacks.

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 17:25:29 28,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    \o/

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 8 August 2008 17:26:25
    Ah, poor people.
  • silentbob 8 Aug 2008 17:39:14 28,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Re: Costs. DVDs in Japan are about 15 typically. BRDs are about 25 typically. Each
    can be found cheaper, if you manage to find a bargain, but that's the going rate. >:-/

I put it to you that BRDs are too expensive sir. In Europe, DVDs quickly came down to 10 or less of your so-called English pounds. By contrast, the same movies hardly fucking came down at all in price. I conclude, sir, that they are very expensive.

If the players were cheaper, I'd buy. Or, if the BRDs were cheaper, I'd suck it up and get one. But alas, they don't seem to be.

I'll tell you what though Bob. :) You find me a decent BRD playing surround sound system, and I'll give you a box of scooby snacks. NO! Two boxes of scooby snacks.
    They didn't 'quickly' come down at all. Selective memories for the lose. It took years for the format to drop to the level you describe.

BRD is following a similar line in pricing. And seeing as you get a copy of teh movie taht is, in some cases, better than that which you could enjoy at the theatre - they're nothing short of a bloody bargain.

I'm also somewhat skeptical abuot your japanese pricing. I realise you're out there and everything, but it doesn't tally with import sites and other consumable available much more cheaply over there.

Edit: Looks like you are right about Japanese discs. And yet they sell like hot cakes. Get with the program. ;)

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 17:53:20 28,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The different movie houses have different pricing tiers. Disney and Fox are by far the most expensive - these I agree should come down into line with the rest of the Studios prices.

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 17:57:12 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: Re: Costs. DVDs in Japan are about 15 typically. BRDs are about 25 typically. Each

silentbob wrote: They didn't 'quickly' come down at all. Selective memories for the lose. It took years for the format to drop to the level you describe.
    Well allow me to retort! :p I never said that DVDs were cheap from the off. Back in the day, they were just as expensive as BRDs are now, and I didn't buy them back then until the prices started to fall into the 12.50 price range. What I was saying above - I guess you misunderstood me - is that movies are alwaysexpensive when they are first released on disc after the cinema viewing, but that in the case of DVDs, the price drops quickly to an affordable level, whereas BRD does not. That's all I'm saying.

To be clear on this, I'm not dissing BRDs themselves. I have a 1080p TV now, so I very much WANT to get them. I'm just frustrated that the whole thing is still too expensive. Not so expensive that I can't afford it actually. Just expensive enough for me to visualise some executive bum-fucking me whilst laughing his ass off and smoking an expensive cigar while I hand over the money for the movie.
    silentbob wrote: I'm also somewhat skeptical about your japanese pricing. I realise you're out there and everything, but it doesn't tally with import sites and other consumable available much more cheaply over there.
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly central. I'm up in Hokkaido, but these are the prices I'm seeing in shops. I don't shop too much online when it comes to movies, as I prefer to handle the product a bit to be sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

Still, maybe the prices are different on the mainland. /shrugs

• ecureuil 8 Aug 2008 18:01:39 76,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PS3 is easily your best option.
  • silentbob 8 Aug 2008 18:01:59 28,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They didn't drop to 'affordable' pricing quickly - they really didn't. It took the Internet boom with Play.com and it's brethren shops to force high street and online prices down. That wasn't until well into the lifespan of the format.

If you shop on Movietyme, 70 % of the movies are available with Free shipping for around 15 quid or far less. What you then have to weigh up is whether the differential is worth it to you. For me, DVDs are painful to watch and the clarity and punch Blu Ray offers is well worth the extra.

In your case, clearly it's not - and so for you I gues sthey could be classed expensive. So fair enough.

I conceded your point about JP pricing by the way. Very expensive indeed. Do they come with free lady boys or something over there? ;)

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 18:02:42 28,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And yes, I still maintain that the PS3 is the most affordable and most complete Blu Ray player on the market today.

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 18:05:55 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DVDs in Japan are so expensive, it makes me want to cry bitter, BITTER fucking tears.

For example. Why buy the first 13 episodes of Naruto for circa 10 with subs and dubs when you can simply go to Japan and buy the first four episodes for about 15 plus?

/kills self

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 18:08:55 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By the way Bob, I probably come across as a bit anti-BRD here, but the problem for me is that my best bet for a BRD player is the gimped PS3. If the 40GB PS3 had BC, despite my misgivings about its size and appearance, I'd already have one, and probably a few of my most precious movies on BRD.

These days, I spend so much of my time humming and hawing and not buying anything. What ever happened to the good old days when I was decisive and knew exactly what I wanted and bought it. :'(

• ecureuil 8 Aug 2008 18:40:48 76,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    T.G, you're a gamer too. Getting a PS3 (whenever that may become affordable to you) should be a no brainer.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2008 18:43:56
    Yeah get a Blu-Ray player that plays games too.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 18:45:04 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is true. I do want to play Little Big Planet. But apart from that, I can't think of too many things I'll be wanting to play on PS3 that I can't get on 360. :-| If you could persuade me, I'd be genuinely delighted. Honestly. I have the cash, I just need the justification.

• Derblington 8 Aug 2008 18:55:37 21,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For now, Uncharted, Ratchet and MGS... deja vu...

The way I think about it is that over the course of the console, and Sony say that's 10 years, I know there will be at least 50-100 games I want to play on the system. That's all the justification I need to own it, though I realise that that's my justification :)
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 18:57:21 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, I asked you a similar question in the other thread there Derbs. It has just occurred to me that Resistance is supposedly decent and exclusive too right? Hmm, I just need a few more reasons...

• Derblington 8 Aug 2008 19:01:27 21,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resistance is decent but not great. It's not bad by any stretch, it's solid and entertaining, but there are better fps' around.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 19:04:09 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My way of looking at it is not "Is it the best?" but simply "Does it have something that I can't get elsewhere?" So, if the game has a different feel or art design or story or gameplay mechanic etc. that I can get into, then I don't need it to be the best out there. I can get it. So, I don't need Resistance to be better than Halo 3 or whatever, as long as it has something so that it can stand on its own two feet.

• Derblington 8 Aug 2008 19:08:10 21,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, the weapons are fun, and that's kinda what it lives or dies on.

Heavenly Sword, while not amazing if you've played God ow War or Ninja Gaiden, is also enjoyable. I like the fantasy orient setting and the combat was solid and interesting, though not brilliant. The story is cliched and forgetable but the production is high and so memorable. I would add it to the list, personally, as I like the genre.
  • reddevil93 8 Aug 2008 19:09:04 11,814 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    My way of looking at it is not "Is it the best?" but simply "Does it have something that I can't get elsewhere?" So, if the game has a different feel or art design or story or gameplay mechanic etc. that I can get into, then I don't need it to be the best out there.
    Based on this I'd recommened Resistance. A nice original setting for a FPS, an alternative history storyline, great unique weapons and good gameplay mechanics too.

• Derblington 8 Aug 2008 19:10:28 21,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And a sequel on the way, so you've got a series to get into, which is always nice.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2008 19:11:40
    I personally would add Singstar to the list, I guess you will already know if you would like it or not, but for me no game so far has had such a good online package that compliments the game. Bear in mind though I am not interested in singing against someone.

Also no other game has cost me so much money in DLC, I think I have DL'd about 100 songs.
  • reddevil93 8 Aug 2008 19:13:08 11,814 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    Also no other game has cost me so much money in DLC, I think I have DL'd about 100 songs.
    Wouldn't that mean you've spent more on DLC than the game itself?

• Deleted user 8 August 2008 19:15:47
    Yep already had the mic's so the game was about 25.

But it just keeps on giving.........

:`(
  • reddevil93 8 Aug 2008 19:18:12 11,814 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sony must be raking it in with DLC from Singstar.

• Deleted user 8 August 2008 19:19:33
    They have to be, every 2 weeks there is an update to the store, I know nearly every time I will want 1 or 2 songs, multiply that by however many it has sold and they are laughing.
  • Derblington 8 Aug 2008 19:20:11 21,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd also add Siren (though a remake) and Everybody's Golf too. Tbh I don't really know what's on the way outside of Heavy Rain and Infamous... Not really been paying attention to E3 and such this year, been busy working and moving.

I'll end on: for me, I see value in the PS3. I got one of the original 60gb, hardware BC, US models and I've used it a lot (more for movies than games but I have the option of both). I see value in owning one for the forseeable future, in the same way I see it in the 360 and, to a lesser extent, the Wii. Only you know if you see the same.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 19:22:40 11,367 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, there's the kicker derbs. If I could get anything other than the BC gimped 40GB model, I'd be on it like a flash, but alas, only insanely expensive second-hand models remain. :'(

• Deleted user 8 August 2008 19:26:09
    How important is BC to you though? I personally have never had the urge to make use of it on either the 360, PS3 or Wii.

I appreciate that having the option there is nice, but if it isn't going to be the be all and end all surely it doesn't matter.

• Page

of 134 First / Last