Blu-Ray Disc Recommendations thread Page 129

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 July 2013 11:58:42
    Nice thing about Bladeruner is the opening shot is basically the most gorgeous thing ever, so it's pretty good BR to show off. You just start the film, go "look at THAT!", and you're done.
  • Deleted user 24 July 2013 12:01:10
    Oh and Baraka obviously.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 12:05:52 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I believe in theory old 35mm films should still contain more information (higher detail) in the images than films shot digitally,
    From what I understand this is true, it's essentially the same argument as to why vinyl is better than digital.
    That said, I think we're now more or less at the tipping point with 35mm (or at least that's certainly the case with DSLRs and 35mm camera film), but larger formats are still going to be higher in detail.
    There comes a point where the eye cannot really detect the difference imo and perhaps, as you say, we are reaching that point. Saying that, there will always be a difference in the composition of the image as digital relies on pixels and that is not (imo) as pure an image. There is also a divergence between hearing and seeing in certain respects because of how harmonics work but I'm not sure if there might be something similar in regards of human sight. I studied music not film so I'm no expert.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:11:35 24-07-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• TheSaint 24 Jul 2013 12:09:03 14,834 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Side By Side is worth a watch for anyone interested in the past / future of film cameras and technology.
  • Deleted user 24 July 2013 12:11:52
    @Mr_Sleep

Well, the theory behind those Apple Retina screen is that it's the resolution at which the human 'retina' can't distinguish where a pixel ends, even right up close. And they may have it on phones, and even small laptops, but we're still way off that level with TVs, let alone cinemas.
  • Khanivor 24 Jul 2013 12:18:38 41,298 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, Baraka will shake your titties.
  • MrE26 24 Jul 2013 12:18:50 1,985 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    thought films made before the inception of BR and transferred weren't as good? i've seen ones with a very grainy element on certain aspects of the picture.

i'll get tron for the deep blacks and flashy visuals, and a 'normal' film. don't like sci-fi though.
    Film has a far higher resolution than 1080p, As long as the master has been transferred well & from a good source, old films can & should look just as good as the latest films.

Blade Runner, Alien, Jaws, Se7en, Apocalypse Now. All shot on film & all are completely stunning discs.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 12:22:51 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kalel I didn't really know what the retina display thing meant, so that's nice to know. The problem to some degree is that I'm not sure we're going to get passed that level either as I'm not sure there is the market push for it. It may be that in scientific areas it will be very handy and it will be developed for that market but I'm not sure the home enthusiast will end up having a TV at that level. Most people don't even realise when a TV is in the wrong aspect ratio!

• Deleted user 24 July 2013 12:26:51
    Well, 4K TVs are already out, and there's talk of Apple releasing a TV next year which will be at least 4K, possibly "retina". And things are being mastered at 8K now.

I don't think there really needs to be a real consumer demand for this stuff. The manufacturers force the change themselves. People didn't really give a fuck about the leap from 720p to 1080p, but buy a new telly now and you'll get a 1080p one, because that's all there is.

I'm sure the likes of Sky and Sony will keep pushing higher and higher resolutions as it just keeps the upgrade cycle going. You just convince the consumer it's important with bullshit slow mo movies of raindrops and shit.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 12:33:12 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suppose that is possible, although I would say that it is going to take a long time to happen as I can't see companies considering a loss-leading approach to development if there is no foreseeable demand. So it may happen but it is going to be a slow crawl as opposed to a swift development.

• Deleted user 24 July 2013 12:42:31
    I think 4K will probably catch on as a high-end thing, and will probably eventually become fairly mass market, but I agree there won't be much further to go in the whole resolution escalation thing,

OLED is probably the next big thing for TVs as there's really massive consumer benefits potentially, beyond just higher resolution.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 11:45:56
    Plasma probably will be dropped reasonably soon. Pioneer bowing out was a bad sign.
  • Maturin 25 Jul 2013 12:24:40 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's still a long way to go with colour and contrast - that will make a bigger impact over increases in resolution.

Right now TV companies seem to be where the camera market was a few years ago - in a mad rush to increase the number of pixels.

Whereas camera companies now often talk about the quality of the pixels and one hopes TV companies make this shift in the future too.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 12:56:39
    Well, colour and contrast will get worse if we give up on plasma. That's still better than even OLED.

It's not just about resolution. Unlike cameras, there's other really important factors that people care a lot about with TVs like weight, depth, efficiency, longevity etc. There's tech that's dying simply because it's not as practical, not least CRT itself.
  • Dougs 25 Jul 2013 13:05:30 69,544 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why is plasma dying? Energy efficiency? Production costs? Both? It's a shame as it's cracking tech which is quite mainstream, albeit not as widespread as (LED) LCDs
  • gamingdave 25 Jul 2013 13:28:21 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's both, and the fact that the profit margins are higher on LCD so the shops are always going to push LCD on a customer over plasma.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 15:17:25
    I don't think there's really that much demand for plasma. i'm not even sure I'd go plasma again to be completely honest. I absolutely love my Kuro, but the thought that next time I could get a lighter, thinner and more energy efficient TV for significantly less money is hard to ignore, especially as LCDs have really closed the gap on plasmas now.
  • CharlieStCloud 25 Jul 2013 15:45:13 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Alien looks pretty damn good too.
    I still think that it is one of the very best 'reference' material along with Baraka, Blade Runner, Rango and WALL-E.

Oh, and Waltz with Bashir ... absolutely stunning and is an amazingly good thought provoking film too.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 15:50:04 25-07-2013
  • mrpon 25 Jul 2013 15:46:47 29,590 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My plasma bezel is pretty meaty, looking forward to upgrading to a similar sized TV frame but with a much bigger picture.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 25 Jul 2013 15:48:06 69,544 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that's my aim too. Can have a bigger telly as long as the frame is the same size! Or I might just move house, these things are important after all.
  • mrpon 25 Jul 2013 15:54:55 29,590 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, first day in my new house with no TV but just a projector beamed 100" on the wall! Shame the furniture had to arrive.

• neilka 25 Jul 2013 16:46:49 16,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    My plasma bezel is pretty meaty
    /chokes on baguette

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• KayJay 26 Jul 2013 16:02:13 5,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, so purchased Zero Dark Thirty a week or so back and it came with one of those UltraViolet codes for a digital copy.
    What a frikken PITA trying to get it redeemed. UV Account, Flixster account etc...

So anyway, I thought I had screwed up the redemption process and the movie didn't show up on my account.

So I kicked up a stink and dropped a note over to Universal and they gave me another code to try again.

Just logged into my account and the movie is actually already there. Looks like there was a delay!

So who want's a code for a free UV Copy of Zero Dark Thirty.

FIRST TO PM ME GET's IT!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 26 Jul 2013 16:33:22 12,754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Heh, first day in my new house with no TV but just a projector beamed 100" on the wall! Shame the furniture had to arrive.
    :-D New house means you can bag yourself a cinema room! What projector do you have?
  • mrpon 26 Jul 2013 17:26:01 29,590 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, that was a few years ago! It was just a Panansonic PT-AX200E.

"Was" because the furniture arrived :(

• tonyferrino 26 Jul 2013 17:32:21 189 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still running my 200E, it's an awesome bit of kit. I wish I could afford a 1080P (or 4K!) to replace it though.
  • imamazed 31 Jul 2013 11:40:24 5,966 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish there was a pixar collection. I think there is a region 1 collection, but I've seen nothing over here. I may have to get the "good" ones (i.e. almost all of them) separately. That's going to cost an arm and a leg.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2013 21:30:33
    Life of Pi (2012) Looks stunning/10

The film looks stunning. I watched the Blu-ray. There are many magical moments. The CGI is super impressive. Sure I knew the tiger wasnít real, but there are moments I wondered if it was. Iím still not sure if a real Tiger was used at times. As stunning as the film looks, Iím not sure how high I can rate the story. As for the ending, if I understood correctly, kind put a downer on events.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 19:55:21
    James Bond: 007

At first they released about 5 Bonds films on Blu-ray, then released the whole lot, but only as part of a boxset, which appeared to be Limited Editon and sells on Ebay for stupid prices.

Today in HMV I spotted they appear to have released the Bond films on separate Blu-rays, prices appear to vary from £8 to £19 which don't make much sense. Now I can buy The Spy Who Loved Me, without having to buy every Bond film as part of an expensive boxset.

Then I spotted something of an oddity, a James Bond Blu-ray box set containing just 6 films (Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, Live and Let Die, Die Another Day). Quite what the logic is in picking these 6 films, remains a mystery, but at £14.95 it made sense to pick it up. Amazon.co.uk want £47.56 for the same boxset ?

Dr. No (1962)
    Excellent picture quality. The audio has some issues, vocals are lo-volume, music and SFX are set too high. Weird.

Will watch the rest another day.

Edited by blacksea at 10:02:23 22-09-2013
  • Page

of 134 First / Last