Blu-Ray Disc Recommendations thread Page 128

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Lotos8ter 5 May 2013 11:05:06 2,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched Drive with Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan. I appreciate the film divides opinion, but I'm firmly in the "love it" camp and the blu-ray is beautiful. The city and cars and close-ups look awesome and even little details like reading the prices in the Chinese restaurant add to the experience. Great disc.

Fiat Lux

• mrpon 5 May 2013 11:27:25 29,204 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What did they think of their performances?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Lotos8ter 5 May 2013 11:54:41 2,361 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its hard to tell with Ryan sometimes :)

Fiat Lux

• mrpon 5 May 2013 12:04:03 29,204 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• RobAnybody 7 May 2013 22:09:27 926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Master and Command: The Far Side of the World

Great disc, great film.
  • beastmaster 15 May 2013 20:54:27 11,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ghostbusters in the "Mastered in 4K" series. On normal HD it's a better picture than the current release. Interesting development.

Review

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Khanivor 16 May 2013 00:10:07 40,952 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is the box any good?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 May 2013 08:16:43 12,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Master is also meant to look rather good on blu-ray, so it is.
  • neilka 17 May 2013 00:43:05 16,270 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Adventure Time Season 1&2 BDs are region free :D
  • prawnking1980 17 May 2013 07:15:54 4,742 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tempting
  • Moot_Point 3 Jul 2013 14:50:50 4,360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is the film Boy Wonder worth a watch?

I have never heard of it before (which raises alarm bells in itself), but the trailer looks ok. Any thoughts?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• kalel 3 Jul 2013 15:14:18 88,459 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's on Netflix I think for free. I believe it may have been a made for TV thing originally.
  • Moot_Point 3 Jul 2013 15:22:24 4,360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Free on Netflix? Shame I don't have an account, and little wonder I haven't heard of it before if its aTV made film. Thanks kalel.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:23:12 03-07-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 9 July 2013 20:43:28
    Prometheus (2012) 6/10

Now all the hype has passed, I thought it was about time I checked out the film, the Blu-ray to be precise.

Picture quality is good as is to be expected. Special FX are impressive, and I loved the locations inspired by HR Giger. For me, this is where the positives end. For the first hour I found the film boring, and the second hour wasn’t much more interesting either, thank god there wasn‘t a third hour to endure. I went into Prometheus never expecting anything to do with Alien, as I knew I’d be disappointed, and planned to take the film as a stand alone film. I did find myself comparing it to the original Alien, the way the characters emerge from their sleep in those pods, the crew meeting up, there being one black person, it closing with a single female against a monster, not that there was anything like the same amount of tension compared to the closing moments of Alien. The cast was pretty naff too, and failed on every level to match the cast of Alien. As for the Alien right at the end, even that didn’t look right.

All in all, and big thumbs down. I’ll be selling the Blu-ray as I doubt I’ll want to watch it again.

Edited by blacksea at 20:43:48 09-07-2013
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 20:14:14
    Ghost In The Shell 2.0 (2008) Blu-ray Dispointed/10

Blu-ray offers two options, none of which are satisfactory.

Option 1 - Watch the original Ghost In The Shell (Ghost In The Shell 2.0) with Blu-ray picture quality with the addition of CGI. It seems a really odd thing to do, to take a film, and replace scene’s here and there with new CGI versions (of the original). The CGI is good, but like all CGI it could be better. The really odd thing is, is the decision to mix two different styles, hand-drawn and CGI ?

Option 2 - Watch the original Ghost In The Shell, non Blu-ray standard, with a picture quality that fails to match that of the original DVD (I have the DVD also, and the contrast looks better on the DVD).

I would have preferred a 100% re-master for the Blu-ray. If they wanted to do a complete remake using CGI, then do that.
  • morriss 24 Jul 2013 11:20:47 71,138 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Twin Peaks announced.
  • kalel 24 Jul 2013 11:21:36 88,459 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Old things make the best reference disc imo. You don't need HD to make CGI stuff like Tron look good. Jaws or Bladerunner would be my choices.
  • JuanKerr 24 Jul 2013 11:23:38 36,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alien looks pretty damn good too. You can get the quadrology pretty cheap these days.
  • gamingdave 24 Jul 2013 11:27:45 4,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Twin Peaks announced.
    With FWWM in the pack too. Going to be my release of the year I suspect.
  • gamingdave 24 Jul 2013 11:33:29 4,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    i'm looking for a good blu ray. one that uses high definition to its full advantage to test a new TV. also, i've heard some BR's come with a THX optimiser to callibrate the picture?
    The Dark Night is perfect test material. You've got the swirling mist in the pre-titles to look for fine detail and ringing. Panning shots over the city to look for any bad judder. Looking at the windows on the buildings can show you how well it handles smooth gradients. There are some very obvious sharp sounds tied to the action to test for any lag in the sound department. All the time with a picture that has great contrast and some real dark blacks and then splashes of vibrant colour.

Watch it on a cheap set, then the best you can find. See what it is you are looking for and then you have a great reference for all future testing.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 11:43:33 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    thought films made before the inception of BR and transferred weren't as good? i've seen ones with a very grainy element on certain aspects of the picture.
    Where did you come by such a notion? It is possible that there has been degridation of the masters before the transfer but pre-BR is likely to be the same if not better in some circumstances.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 24 Jul 2013 11:50:08 88,459 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuff that has been filmed digitally does often look better than most old films do, but I wonder if that's more to do with them being mastered very specifically with BRs and HDTVs in mind, a bit like how a lot of modern music is mastered for ipods.

I believe in theory old 35mm films should still contain more information (higher detail) in the images than films shot digitally, and certainly anything that was shot in 70mm like Laurence of Arabia or 2001 should in theory be more impressive than anything modern. Again, much depends on the master, but this is why things like Jaws and Bladerunner which have been very carefully remastered for the BR edition look so stunning.

(Note - possibility of total bullshit being spoken, but that's my understanding of these things).
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 11:52:40 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep i don't know old cameras/film and the retroactiveness of it?
    I think it depends on the budget and skill of the team that made the film, something like Aliens looks rubbish these days where as Alien looks amazing, as does Blade Runner, the difference is that a proper film maker and skilled professionals were involved in Alien and BR as opposed to hacks. The actual format isn't the problem if you have seen grainy versions of older films.

• kalel 24 Jul 2013 11:54:55 88,459 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, Tree of Life is definitely a reference level modern film that was I believe shot digitally (and actually has some CGI in as well). It's jaw-dropping from start to finish.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 11:55:07 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I believe in theory old 35mm films should still contain more information (higher detail) in the images than films shot digitally,
    From what I understand this is true, it's essentially the same argument as to why vinyl is better than digital.

• kalel 24 Jul 2013 11:56:38 88,459 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I believe in theory old 35mm films should still contain more information (higher detail) in the images than films shot digitally,
    From what I understand this is true, it's essentially the same argument as to why vinyl is better than digital.
    That said, I think we're now more or less at the tipping point with 35mm (or at least that's certainly the case with DSLRs and 35mm camera film), but larger formats are still going to be higher in detail.
  • AcidSnake 24 Jul 2013 11:57:05 7,285 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Aliens looked pretty damn good on Blu-ray...Though if you're talking about filming techniques some things are quite off there, yeah...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Page

of 134 First / Last