Blu-Ray Disc Recommendations thread Page 125

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 October 2012 18:23:28
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Great film. The Blu-ray looks surprisingly good. I never knew this film was as old as it is.
  • rtk79 7 Oct 2012 19:15:15 496 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A film made in 1975 is old? They'd been making them for 80 years by then!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI63PUXnVMw

Edited by rtk79 at 19:17:34 07-10-2012
  • beastmaster 8 Oct 2012 13:18:39 11,805 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes! Got the US Avengers today and the Indiana Jones box-set.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ecu 8 Oct 2012 13:30:22 77,234 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does the Indy box set come with a free Kingdom of the Crystal Skull drinks coaster, or is it a trilogy?
  • beastmaster 8 Oct 2012 14:18:24 11,805 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ecureuil

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/indiana-jones-the-complete-adventures-limited-collector-s-edition/10619287.html

It comes with the coaster :-)

• beastmaster 9 Oct 2012 08:31:59 11,805 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched the US BR Avengers last night. Despite there being no indication on the cover or the BR itself, all Disney films are region free. So it worked fine on my PS3.

The transfer is something to behold. Stunning. The gag reel was very funny too. Still to watch the short film that comes with it though.

• BravoGolf Moderator 9 Oct 2012 09:21:17 12,752 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Watched the US BR Avengers last night. Despite there being no indication on the cover or the BR itself, all Disney films are region free. So it worked fine on my PS3.

The transfer is something to behold. Stunning. The gag reel was very funny too. Still to watch the short film that comes with it though.
    Perhaps I'm getting too used to lovely HD video/audio but I never got that "Oh my God, look at the screen! LOOK AT IT!" moments, even though blu-ray.com love the video/audio quality. Not having it in anamorphic (extra wide screen) didn't help though (having an extra wide movie fill your projector screen makes it incredibly more immersive).

I watched The Motorcycle Diaries on Sunday, it's one of those movies I've had for maybe 2 years or more but always put off. I think it's because I also have Che part one and part two and always intended to watch in sequence and therefore felt I never had the time to commit, or something. Anyway, it's an amazing movie. Beautiful, even. That's a movie that's jaw dropping, more for the stunning cinematography than the crisp 1080p transfer.
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 09:39:23 6,206 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm ripping my blus at the mo for XBMC and got to the Star Trek films (the TOS ones), I've already watched them but while having a look this week I'm reminded how bloody lovely on blu they are (a few dated FX shots aside) seriously if you haven't got 'em on blu yet do it.
  • delbert 9 Oct 2012 09:50:35 2,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    End of Thread (Again) :)
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Oct 2012 19:00:02 5,392 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow!

Prometheus may well be a disappointingly disjointed mess however, after watching the opening ten minutes on Blu-ray, it is a genuinely marvellously lovely looking disjointed mess ... probably the kind of stuff that is 'demonstration' material - so, so good!
  • Maturin 9 Oct 2012 19:18:17 3,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scott is a phenomenal visual director, his movies always look gorgeous. That's why he's one of my favourites.
  • fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 11:06:35 7,441 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got my Indiana jones complete adventures box set

4 postcards
    Club obi wan box of matches
    Photo of Indy signed by Marion picture from Raiders. She wrote that Indy looks like the monkey
    Photo of Indy snr and junior (Phoenix ) writing on pic saying me and dad when we moved to Utah 1912. Old pic with their faces edited onto it
    2 tickets for the zeppelin
    Plane ticket for Henry jones jnr
    Senitype collectible film cell. The One I have is from Raiders and Indy is face to face with aCobra snake
    The etching they made in last crusade of the stone tablet
    Menu of the dinner in Temple of doom
    Also the diary jones snr used in Last crusade, some of the pages you will remember from seeing in the film. Plus other bits of info from the other films

5 discs
  • Weebleboy 10 Oct 2012 11:21:54 370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, in summary: A box full of shite and a couple of okay films?
  • TheSaint 10 Oct 2012 11:23:49 14,724 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like a load of tat.
  • mrpon 10 Oct 2012 11:25:30 29,427 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Blakester 10 Oct 2012 11:29:33 3,654 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @fletch7100

What's the transfer like?

Needs to be something special to justify buying it again IMO.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• beastmaster 10 Oct 2012 11:41:59 11,805 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blakester

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Indiana-Jones-The-Complete-Adventures-Blu-ray/3956/#Review

About as much detail that you can want about the transfers.

• Blakester 10 Oct 2012 11:54:08 3,654 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @beastmaster

Dammit!

Looks like I need to get it.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• teamHAM 10 Oct 2012 12:19:24 3,117 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With me now spending most of my game time on the Prison Architect (Alpha), I decided to re-watch these classics:

The Green Mile (1999) - 6/10

Prison Break (2005-2009 US TV Series) - 8/10

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 9/10

By all accounts the Shawshank Blu-ray looks better than the Prison Break blu-ray in places.

Edited by teamHAM at 12:31:55 10-10-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• fletch7100 10 Oct 2012 17:56:11 7,441 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok having Indy jones day

Inbetween moving homes at the moment so just watching this on a 19inch tv.

Picture looks good, can't wait til I watch these on large screen telly

Audio is great even, be even better through my sound system when that is set up. Beginning of raiders when Indy sets off the blowdart trap is much louder than I remembered. Just hear a loud Boooiiiiiinnnngggg when the dart hits the wood. Then immediately I thought of Beavis and Butthead

Watching temple of doom, something happened that I never remember seeing. After the first heart transplant you actually see the skin of the victims chest healing itself. Only lasts a second, just never remembered seeing that bit before

Edited by fletch7100 at 17:58:25 10-10-2012
  • MrE26 10 Oct 2012 18:33:47 1,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @fletch7100 TOD on blu-ray is uncut, for the first time ever in this country. There's actually a fair bit of violence throughout the film that you've probably never seen before.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 20:23:35
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Wow!

Prometheus may well be a disappointingly disjointed mess however, after watching the opening ten minutes on Blu-ray, it is a genuinely marvellously lovely looking disjointed mess ... probably the kind of stuff that is 'demonstration' material - so, so good!
    I've yet to see this film, and plan to see the Blu-ray. The question is when.. and is there a hurry to do so ?
  • Dougs 15 Oct 2012 09:28:26 69,108 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Play have The Artist on BD for £7 if anyone is interested....despite being B&W and silent, I bet it still looks lovely.
  • RobAnybody 15 Oct 2012 09:36:35 943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Wow!

I've yet to see this film, and plan to see the Blu-ray. The question is when.. and is there a hurry to do so ?
    Depends if you're in a hurry to have your higher brain functions raped by Damon Lindelof's piss-poor writing.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 15 Oct 2012 09:52:31 10,861 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @fletch7100 I too have been watching the original 3 films over the last 3 days. The picture is very good but the sound. The SOUND! It's incredible!!

Despite being a weak film overall, watching the uncut Temple of Doom was quite a revelation with the improvements in sound. The heart ripping followed by the incineration was very graphic and I can see why it has never been shown in its entireity until now.

Last Crusade remains my favourite. Love the back and forth between Ford and Connery. Any fan of the films owes it to themselves to buy this boxset. The only downside is the lack of new extras, most being from the original DVD boxset and all bar a couple of the mini-docs from Crystal Skull are missing.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2012 20:22:38
    Before The Devil knows Youíre Dead (2007) 10/10

Philip Seymour Hoffman is excellent, as per usual. The story is just plain entertaining. Two brothers in need of cash, they hatch a plan, or rather Hoffman hatches a plan, it goes horribly wrong. Their lives go from shit to just plain not worth living. Itís all so well acted. The Blu-ray looks great.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2012 20:24:19
    RobAnybody wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Wow!

Depends if you're in a hurry to have your higher brain functions raped by Damon Lindelof's piss-poor writing.
    Thank's for the heads up. I will see it, i'm going to wait and pick it up secondhand in about a years time. I can wait.

What are your views on Avatar, as that's another big one i've yet to see.

Edited by blacksea at 20:25:20 15-10-2012
  • gammonbanter 15 Oct 2012 21:02:15 1,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, I know this is recommendations - but Cabin in the woods, has loads of "soft focus" and blury dark scenes - made me question my settings. Good film though.

Who else's GF/SO has threatend them with violence for adjusting picture settings during a blu ray session!?
  • asphaltcowboy 16 Oct 2012 11:48:16 5,143 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Play have The Artist on BD for £7 if anyone is interested....despite being B&W and silent, I bet it still looks lovely.
    I happened to watch this yesterday. Can confirm it looks lovely. Wasn't quite as blown away by it as I was expecting, given the hype. But it was a good film and there are a couple of amazingly good scenes thrown in there!

EDIT: Oh and it sounds amazing too (convenient given how awesome the soundtrack is)

Edited by asphaltcowboy at 11:48:42 16-10-2012
  • fletch7100 16 Oct 2012 14:46:32 7,441 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese

In TOD when Short Round is getting whipped and Indy calls them bastards. I thought, not seen that part before. Has been mentioned on here this is the uncut version so that's probably why. Those extra little bits makes the film better for me. Enjoy that film more these days than when I was a kid.

Can't wait until I'm back home and watch these films again with a decent tv and sound system. Just using a portable 19inch TV

Still remember when it was first shown on TV in Xmas day I believe, newspapers were moaning about how could they show the dinner table scene when kids would be watching :)

Edited by fletch7100 at 14:49:47 16-10-2012
  • Page

of 134 First / Last