Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    u shall die for saying Transformers is poo lol
  • Pooley 8 Aug 2008 14:06:31 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    I've got well over 100 BDs

Where do you get the majority of your BD's from Darren? I've bought some from Movietyme, who were okay, and Amazon.com, where I ended up paying some import costs. The annoying thing is that I have an Asian PS3, which is Region A US and Japan, but if I go shopping here in the UK it's a bit of a gamble buying BD's in case they're region protected. Did that with Eastern Promises, bought for 12 at Asda only to find it's UK only.

Region protection is such a pain in the arse.
  • billythekid 8 Aug 2008 14:10:13 11,203 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darren wrote:

Your house must be like a local sorting office with the amount of films and games you get delivered! ;)
  • pistol 8 Aug 2008 14:12:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are there really 100 Blue Rays worth getting...seriously?

I'm struggling to get over 10. So many of them are either shit films, or the transfer isn't really that good.
  • gooners2006 8 Aug 2008 14:12:19 118 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the price has gone down a bit in the last couple of months, but they seem alot cheaper in Asda =P
  • Deleted user 8 August 2008 14:40:31
    Pooley wrote:

Seen this?
  • Darren 8 Aug 2008 14:42:32 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    Darren wrote:

Where do you get the majority of your BD's from Darren?

I've bought about a quarter of them from Movietyme (300, 2001, One Missed Call, Disturbia, Seven Years in Tibet, The Aviator, The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, etc., etc.), the remainder are from Play.com, except where they're cheaper on DVD.co.uk (Play.com do have a nasty habit of listing BDs at 23.99 and I refuse to play that much for a movie on one or even two discs).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Pooley 8 Aug 2008 14:46:03 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My fav BD's, so far;

Chronos
    A Scanner Darkly
    Volver (I think I'm in love with Penelope Cruz)
    Black Hawk Down
    Hellboy
    Bridge to Terabithia

Want to get next;
    Reservoir Dogs
    Tekkonkinkreet
    Paprika
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Blade Runner
    Batman Begins
    Band of Brothers
    There Will Be Blood
    No Country for Old Men
    Close Encounters
    Ultimate Matrix Collection
    Escape From New York
    Cloverfield (possibly)
    Tiesto - Copenhagen
    (thanks to Amazon's top 100)

I'm off to Hong Kong in a month or so, I've got a feeling that my luggage could be all BD's and no clothes by the time I return!
  • Darren 8 Aug 2008 14:46:46 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Darren wrote:

Your house must be like a local sorting office with the amount of films and games you get delivered! ;)

You forgot to add the music CDs as well, been going through a bit of a mad 80s thing at the moment, buying cheap CDs left, right and centre... ;)

... but, yes, I do tend to get between one and five parcels per week at least (I think I'll be needing a bigger house soon!). I got four this morning (all CDs) and I'm expecting two tomorrow (90125 by Yes on CD and The Sixth Sense on BD)! :)

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Pooley 8 Aug 2008 14:49:40 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrEggtimer wrote:
    Pooley wrote:

Seen this?

That's a useful list. Ta!

Weird that Eastern Promises isn't on it though.
  • Pooley 8 Aug 2008 14:51:29 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What region PS3 have you got Darren?
  • Darren 8 Aug 2008 14:52:32 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Darren, have you watched any of the other 4 bladerunner discs? I'm currently in the middle of the 3hr docu about how the film was made, casting, writing etc. Fascinating stuff.

I've watched all of the extras and four of the five cuts of the movie and it is a brilliant set, in fact it's by far my favourite BD. Shame the extras are on DVDs though, I'd rather they'd been 1080i on BD but that's just me being pedantic because as it is the 5-disc Blade Runner set is the best BD in terms of content. A friend at work also bought me the 5-disc DVD version in the limited edition tin box too which was nice. Only watched the new cut though.

• Darren 8 Aug 2008 14:54:19 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    What region PS3 have you got Darren?

It's a UK one, originally a launch 60 GB HDD model but it now has a 320 GB WD Scorpio HDD fitted.

Oh and I've just checked Movietyme and they have Cloverfield listed as region-free and costing just 9.99 if you're interested (which I presume you are are as you mentioned it in your list).

• Darren 8 Aug 2008 15:00:12 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    I have Escape from New York sitting right here (along with T2). :D

I bought Terminator 2 and Stargate SE last week on BD and was a bit miffed to discover that neither movie has any English subtitles at all. I mean bloody hell, I can accept no extras at 13 each but to not have subtitles is, IMO, a crime in this day and age (it's one of the reasons I don't download movies from the 360 Video Marketplace).

T2 is the Director's Cut though, much to my delight, and I own the Ultimate Edition on DVD, which does have subtitles, so I pretty much know the dialogue off by heart now.

I was going to pick up Total Recall on BD (I don't own this on DVD) but was put off by a review that claimed the picture quality wasn't especially great. I presume this is also bare-bones and subtitle-free too?

• Pooley 8 Aug 2008 15:02:17 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, that's weird...

If you search for Cloverfield on Movietyme, it lists the DVD version, and two BD versions;

SDD: Cloverfield (Blu-ray)
    Cloverfield (Blu-ray)

I can't see any differences, anyone know wha "SDD" means?

/edit

Found it, it means "Same Day Dispatch". D'oh! Basically, you pay a slight premium for faster dispatch.
  • neilka 8 Aug 2008 15:06:57 16,269 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Super Duper Disc, it's the real next-gen.
  • Darren 8 Aug 2008 15:15:16 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the region-free BD of Cloverfield you want from Movietime: *here*. Weirdly this has gone up to 11.99 now (I'm almost positive it was showing as 9.99 just a few hours ago though).

• El_MUERkO 8 Aug 2008 15:19:31 17,076 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i'm sulking at the lack of Apocalypse Now Redux on blu ray, if ever a movie warranted a blu ray release then Apocalypse Now is it
  • Darren 8 Aug 2008 15:32:42 8,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Iam wrote:
    I have Escape from New York sitting right here (along with T2). :D

I bought Terminator 2 and Stargate SE last week on BD and was a bit miffed to discover that neither movie has any English subtitles at all. I mean bloody hell, I can accept no extras at 13 each but to not have subtitles is, IMO, a crime in this day and age (it's one of the reasons I don't download movies from the 360 Video Marketplace).

T2 is the Director's Cut though, much to my delight, and I own the Ultimate Edition on DVD, which does have subtitles, so I pretty much know the dialogue off by heart now.

I was going to pick up Total Recall on BD (I don't own this on DVD) but was put off by a review that claimed the picture quality wasn't especially great. I presume this is also bare-bones and subtitle-free too?

Errr, mine's in English. At least, it bloody well better be! :D

No, you misunderstand what I meant. Both movies are in English but as a hearing-impaired person I prefer to watch them with subtitles and both T2 and Stargate don't have them, which is shocking for a BD really even if they are cheap(ish).

• El_MUERkO 8 Aug 2008 15:51:50 17,076 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    stoopid thread

/has spent 66 on blu rays
  • Pooley 8 Aug 2008 16:02:50 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    stoopid thread

/has spent 66 on blu rays

Thread wins!

;)
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 16:04:29 11,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually want to get a BRD player, but the price right now is just stupid. Especially when you consider how much money the fecking discs cost. :/ /waits patiently for the price to drop

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 16:05:09 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cloudane wrote:
    Ratatouille and Cars are the very few oh my goodness...
    Just for reference, this is bollocks. There are many more.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Dougs 8 Aug 2008 16:06:19 68,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just get a PS3!
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 16:07:55 11,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote: Just get a PS3!
    If it weren't so expensive to get a BC PS3, and it weren't so fucking ugly, I'd do that. But it is.

• Pooley 8 Aug 2008 16:08:08 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread needs more morriss bateman arguing that HD-DVD's are still better.
  • silentbob 8 Aug 2008 16:11:42 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss lol

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 16:52:18 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Especially when you consider how much money the fecking discs cost. :/
    What? between 13 and 18 quid a pop? Get a wad you beatnik.

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Aug 2008 16:56:56 11,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BRDs are roughly twice (or more) as expensive as DVDs. That's a bad thing for me.

SilentBob's argument: "Be rich, then it doesn't matter!"

Cheers Bob, that's a good idea. :p

• silentbob 8 Aug 2008 17:14:30 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They maybe more expensive than DVDs, that's because DVDs are cheap. It doesn't actually make BRDs expensive, especially considering the difference in quality.

So anyone who ever bought a DVD for RRP cannot complain abuot the prices of BRDs today. Unless they want a good shafting from me.

TG shal hereon in be known only as 'Shaggy'.

• Page

of 134 First / Last