Blu-Ray Disc Recommendations thread Page 6

  • Page

    of 134 First / Last

  • Mr-Brett 15 Sep 2008 23:47:10 12,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had a look on find-dvd.co.uk and noticed that Tesco Jersey have it for 16.17.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ecureuil 15 Sep 2008 23:48:15 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    The Ultimate one seems to be DVD and the Special Edition seems to be Blu Ray, bit confusing.

    Here. It just says "2 Disc Sp Ed" in the description, but if you actually look on the box, it says "Ultimate 2-disc edition".

    So, er, that one?
  • Mr-Brett 15 Sep 2008 23:49:42 12,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    The Ultimate one seems to be DVD and the Special Edition seems to be Blu Ray, bit confusing.

    Here. It just says "2 Disc Sp Ed" in the description, but if you actually look on the box, it says "Ultimate 2-disc edition".

    So, er, that one?

    Thanks but that kind of confuses me further...

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ecureuil 15 Sep 2008 23:50:04 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Just had a look on find-dvd.co.uk and noticed that Tesco Jersey have it for 16.17.

    I bet Play.com have it in their Christmas sale for a tenner.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Sep 2008 23:54:05 12,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On Blu Ray?

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ecureuil 15 Sep 2008 23:54:25 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    On Blu Ray?

    Yes. Blu-ray movies are coming down in price a lot now. People are buying them so shops are beginning to undercut each other.
  • Mr-Brett 16 Sep 2008 00:01:14 12,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats good news, hopefully it is 10 in the sale but I doubt it'll stop me from buying this.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Kokapetl 28 Sep 2008 19:10:16 865 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've always been extremely dubious about Blu Ray. My thought train has always been that the difference would be minimal if noticable at all (especially with older movies). I often used Blade Runner to support this arguement.

    "How on earth is it possible to make something like Blade Runner look better than the last time it was released on DVD? Surely they've exhausted all their technical limitations?"

    However, I was in HMV on Friday afternoon and I saw they were selling Dark City for a superb 12.99. So I thought I'd give it a purchase to see whether my argument held any water. Now I know it's not as old as Blade Runner but it is 10 years old and has been released a few times.

    Well I have to say that I was amazed by it. The clarity was unbelievable to be fair. So I stand corrected.

    I'm now wondering about a few other films. Dawn of the Dead, The Thing, Point Break, Stargate, and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

    I've checked blu-ray.com for opinions and ratings, but there seems an awful lot of opinions on the quality of the actual film not the transfer (I think that's the word I'm looking for). So I'm coming to you people for your opinions on said films and how they transfered.

    Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - Kokapetl
    3DS - 0903-2865-7239 - Face

  • BravoGolf Moderator 28 Sep 2008 19:38:24 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kokapetl, to answer your question re: Blu-Ray, remakes can still look lots better, even if the movie is old. I can't remember the exact spec but the original film is saved on a resolution about 10 times 1080 or something. Plus, having the HD film is only halve of the benefit of Blu-Ray, having HD audio can make a movie come to life!
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 19:39:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you like nature and animals I can recommend Wild China. Along the same lines as the Planet Earth discs.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 19:42:01 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kokapetl wrote:
    I've always been extremely dubious about Blu Ray. My thought train has always been that the difference would be minimal if noticable at all (especially with older movies). I often used Blade Runner to support this arguement.

    "How on earth is it possible to make something like Blade Runner look better than the last time it was released on DVD? Surely they've exhausted all their technical limitations?"

    However, I was in HMV on Friday afternoon and I saw they were selling Dark City for a superb 12.99. So I thought I'd give it a purchase to see whether my argument held any water. Now I know it's not as old as Blade Runner but it is 10 years old and has been released a few times.

    Well I have to say that I was amazed by it. The clarity was unbelievable to be fair. So I stand corrected.

    I'm now wondering about a few other films. Dawn of the Dead, The Thing, Point Break, Stargate, and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

    I've checked blu-ray.com for opinions and ratings, but there seems an awful lot of opinions on the quality of the actual film not the transfer (I think that's the word I'm looking for). So I'm coming to you people for your opinions on said films and how they transfered.

    Are you saying you have actually seen the Blue Ray version of BladeRunner? I have the 5 disc SE and it's 100 times better than the DVD. You either have a crap TV or you're going blind..
  • ecureuil 28 Sep 2008 19:42:23 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched the first few episodes of Wild China when it was on BBC, I found it a bit disappointing. The quality of the visuals was excellent, but as a show I found it very disjointed and badly written.

    And the narrator kept saying "fishes," which bugged me.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 19:44:36 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Kokapetl, to answer your question re: Blu-Ray, remakes can still look lots better, even if the movie is old. I can't remember the exact spec but the original film is saved on a resolution about 10 times 1080 or something. Plus, having the HD film is only halve of the benefit of Blu-Ray, having HD audio can make a movie come to life!

    Another example is the Halloween Blue Ray. Originally released in the late 70's but the BR transfer looks bloody good imo. Not the best BR on the market but still very good.
  • nick303 28 Sep 2008 19:48:20 1,525 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Kokapetl, to answer your question re: Blu-Ray, remakes can still look lots better, even if the movie is old. I can't remember the exact spec but the original film is saved on a resolution about 10 times 1080 or something. Plus, having the HD film is only halve of the benefit of Blu-Ray, having HD audio can make a movie come to life!

    This

    You have to remember that a lot of older films were shot on 35mm film before they started using alternatives. Film has a far higher resolution than 1080p so a lot of these older films look really good on Blu-ray or HD DVD.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 19:54:08 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was also impressed with the Enter The Dragon BR. Great colours and detail all over the place.
  • BartonFink 28 Sep 2008 20:23:25 34,853 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thinking of getting Planet Earth on Blu-ray, worth it?
  • ecureuil 28 Sep 2008 20:28:26 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Thinking of getting Planet Earth on Blu-ray, worth it?

    YES. Not only does it look stunning, but it's simply a brilliant show. Make sure you get the Attenborough version, not the Sigourney Weaver one.
  • BartonFink 28 Sep 2008 20:31:12 34,853 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well d'uh ... why would anyone in their right mind get something narrated by Weaver?

    Looking to get it for the boys as they are really taking an interest in nature programmes etc.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 20:31:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    Thinking of getting Planet Earth on Blu-ray, worth it?

    YES. Not only does it look stunning, but it's simply a brilliant show. Make sure you get the Attenborough version, not the Sigourney Weaver one.

    Agreed...it was one of the first discs I bought and I never tire of watching them.
  • ecureuil 28 Sep 2008 20:32:21 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yeah, you will get bored if you're not in to documentary shows. As far as documentaries go, though, it's probably the greatest ever made. It's Attenboroughs masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
  • BartonFink 28 Sep 2008 20:33:15 34,853 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Love Attenborough's programmes.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 20:39:01 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just pre-ordered The Thing from Play for 14.99.

    1st Dec release
  • Deleted user 28 September 2008 20:41:37
    John Carpenter version? It is region free and out within the next couple of weeks if you want it earlier.
  • pistol 28 Sep 2008 21:59:24 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    John Carpenter version? It is region free and out within the next couple of weeks if you want it earlier.

    Yep, JC version, and I'm not that desperate for it before the release date. I'll have forgotten about the order by then & it'll be a nice surprise.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 28 Sep 2008 22:39:15 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:
    Thinking of getting Planet Earth on Blu-ray, worth it?

    YES. Not only does it look stunning, but it's simply a brilliant show. Make sure you get the Attenborough version, not the Sigourney Weaver one.

    Agreed...it was one of the first discs I bought and I never tire of watching them.

    Indeed, it's absolutely fantastic! Absolutely stunning, not just the visuals but the camera footage
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Sep 2008 22:49:11 23,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yes, Iron Man blu-ray shall be going on my birthday list :) Thank god it's region free! That's the one downside of having a US PS3, although most discs thankfully work fine.

    I AM IRON MAN :-D

    Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

  • ecureuil 28 Sep 2008 22:55:20 76,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oh yes, Iron Man blu-ray shall be going on my birthday list :) Thank god it's region free! That's the one downside of having a US PS3, although most discs thankfully work fine.

    I AM IRON MAN :-D

    That's the advantage of having a US PS3, I reckon. It means I can buy any movie from the States, for less, without having to worry if the disc is region free.
  • FixedInfinity 28 Sep 2008 23:06:08 1,682 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watching Dark City on Blu Ray at the moment, pretty darn stunning!
    Possibly even better as I've never seen the film before... I think watching it in HD for the first time rather than on DVD probably has added to the experience too.
  • Mekanik 29 Sep 2008 00:01:54 3,471 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I was also impressed with the Enter The Dragon BR. Great colours and detail all over the place.


    ohh, didnt realise this was out on BR. awesome. contains one of my fave lines too "Tsk, a human fly...." no idea why but i love it :)
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Sep 2008 00:02:33 23,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oh yes, Iron Man blu-ray shall be going on my birthday list :) Thank god it's region free! That's the one downside of having a US PS3, although most discs thankfully work fine.

    I AM IRON MAN :-D

    That's the advantage of having a US PS3, I reckon. It means I can buy any movie from the States, for less, without having to worry if the disc is region free.

    Actually...that's a sweet point right there, and you're totally right. I was just meaning the ease of buying a blu-ray film off the high street, but yeah you can't beat the internet for price.

    Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

  • Page

    of 134 First / Last

Log in or register to reply