American football: ask a coach! Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• THFourteen 2 Sep 2008 18:04:15 32,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently the reverse fixture is live on Sky at 7pm this sunday, should be worth watching too.

how likely are the dolphins or the jets to be involved with anything by the 28th Dec which i think is the last game of the "regular" season?
  • xChudy 3 Sep 2008 11:11:06 76 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    american football rules i play WR for a team in the uk moving to QB next season i think tho
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Sep 2008 11:20:36 25,406 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I doubt the Dolphins will be challenging for a play off spot come December, but with Brett Favre now in New York, the Jets will be battling for at leat a Wild Card spot.
  • xChudy 3 Sep 2008 11:41:22 76 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    phins = fail
  • Aristides 13 Sep 2008 00:14:56 9 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    caligari wrote:

What is the nastiest injury you've ever seen in a game? Youtube links must be supplied.

I looked but didn't see this in any other post.
    And any time someone asks about injuries, this video should be shown.
    It was more of an interview with the guy who got injured, but it also shows the hit better than any other video i can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCXNt4P8Xg
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • DAL9000 16 Nov 2008 12:07:20 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, my team's season ended six hours ago. If you've got more questions, I've got more answers.
  • Salaman 31 Dec 2008 00:00:02 18,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a very general one.
    What's going on currently? I haven't kept track at all. How far through the season are we. Who's doing well? When are playoffs?
  • ilmaestro 31 Dec 2008 00:54:16 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First round of the playoffs starts Saturday, carries on Sunday. Atlanta, Indy, Baltimore and Philly are all road favorites @ 'Zona, San Diego, Miami and Minnesota respectively. AFC teams to come in next week are Tennessee and Pittsburgh, NFC 1 and 2 seeds are the Giants and Carolina. Giants are favorites for the Superbowl.

• Feanor 31 Dec 2008 14:05:03 14,053 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    San Diego had an amazing last month coming back from 4-8 to make the playoffs, and get Mike Shanahan fired in the process. Most people thought he had the Denver job as long as he wanted it.
  • ilmaestro 31 Dec 2008 19:23:45 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tbf, Denver have been shit for three years now, although I was still mega shocked to hear about Shanahan getting fired.

• infoxicated 31 Dec 2008 20:49:42 1,070 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Imagine puttnig money on Norv Turner having a job at the end of the season and Mike Shanahan being out of one. I certainly wouldn't have believed it!

Back when I trudged out of Wembley in my Chargers gear, completely crestfallen about how easily we'd been beaten on defense and with the way the season was going, I thought it was going to be a heck of a lot worse than 8-8. I didn't think there was a way in hell that 8-8 would win the division with the way the Broncos were playing back then.

Firing Ted Cottrell after the Wembley game was the best move Norv has made his entire career. The defense has certainly tightened up since fat Teddy went, but I still reckon the Colts will best us on Saturday.
  • Feanor 31 Dec 2008 20:52:05 14,053 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should be a great game.
  • ilmaestro 31 Dec 2008 21:53:27 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All four should be great, apart from Baltimore's 27-3 win over the 'fins.

/high fives fellow Chargers fan two posts up

• Clive_Dunn 4 Jul 2009 22:50:33 4,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RIP Steve McNair :(
  • phAge 4 Sep 2009 11:34:21 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No idea who that is, but I LOL'ed @ the start if this thread. To begin with it's the usual EG attitude of WTFAYLOL!1!! and then 10 posts later it's "so, er, please go on telling me about this stuff that I never knew was interesting". Very amusing. :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Sep 2009 11:35:41 25,406 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woah. Where'd the random guy disappear too?
  • DAL9000 27 Apr 2010 05:32:26 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Woah. Where'd the random guy disappear too?

I disappeared to HERE! I'm two years wiser, two years more experienced, and two years more full of insomnia. I've grown skilled in the ways of thread necromancy, though, so I regret exactly NOTHING 'bout my absence.

Citizens of the forum! Ask your questions and ye shall receive your answers.
  • Zomoniac 27 Apr 2010 12:47:46 7,788 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    Citizens of the forum! Ask your questions and ye shall receive your answers.

Ok, here's mine: Americans often give "because it's boring and nothing happens" as a reason for disliking football (the football where a ball is contacted with the foot occasionally). How can anyone think that when, because of the ludicrous way the game clock sometimes continues but sometimes stops when the ball goes out of play, it's not unheard of for a game of American football to last in excess of 3 hours despite the ball actually being in play for less than 15 minutes of those 3 hours? Compared to football, where the ball is in play for usually around 70 minutes of the 90, I fail to see how anyone could be bothered with a sport where the game is only actually being played for around 10% of the match duration.
  • cianchristopher 27 Apr 2010 13:23:07 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I play Madden, I always hate playing the defensive plays

I just mash the buttons (after selecting whatever "Madden's Recommendation" is that time) and hope that the four downs run out and it's my turn to "play".

Then, when playing offense, I just "hail mary" every single time - cos it's the coolest play in the world by far, and I like the name (i can picture the QB muttering a "hail mary" prayer to himself every time he launches the ball, then the RB nabs it spectacularly as the crowd goes wild and the QB bangs 5 chicks at the same time after the game)....

One thing I'll say for American Football, when it comes to sports in movies: it's the motherfucking, cocksucking best fucking one by some distance....

Excitement, baby, excitement!!!!

How come whenever I'm drunk enough to turn on ESPN and watch 5 mins of a game it's so fucking boring compared to the masterpiece that is Any Given Sunday? Or Friday Night Lights? Or even the fucking Waterboy with Adam Sandler, for chrissakes....

/goes back to watching Oliver Stone's version of American Football, where every play contains EXCITEMENT and a bone-crunching tackle...

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1884/any-given-sunday/
  • DAL9000 27 Apr 2010 20:58:38 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:

Ok, here's mine: Americans often give "because it's boring and nothing happens" as a reason for disliking football (the football where a ball is contacted with the foot occasionally). How can anyone think that when, because of the ludicrous way the game clock sometimes continues but sometimes stops when the ball goes out of play, it's not unheard of for a game of American football to last in excess of 3 hours despite the ball actually being in play for less than 15 minutes of those 3 hours? Compared to football, where the ball is in play for usually around 70 minutes of the 90, I fail to see how anyone could be bothered with a sport where the game is only actually being played for around 10% of the match duration.

OK, let's see if I can explain this to your satisfaction.

Imagine two parallel scales, measuring what appeals to you as a spectator.

LEVEL OF VIOLENCE
    Collision sports --X-------------Y----- Noncontact sports

NATURE OF GAMEPLAY
    Series of discrete tactical events X------------Y---- Completely free-flowing & improvised

X is our football, Y is yours. (And before you ask why American football isn't all the way over on the far side of "collision sports," the answer is sumo.)

Now -- I'd venture a guess that American consumers are by and large WAY over on the left-hand side of that second scale. Presumably this is culturally determined.

But in any case, if your personal preferences happen to lie on the left-hand side of those scales, I bet you'll be more favorably disposed towards American football -- my guess is that Britons who like both rugby AND cricket would be more favorably disposed towards American football than those who just like rugby.

Anyway, to answer your actual question, someone whose tastes are on the left of these scales will likely find soccer "boring" because it doesn't have what appeals to them -- it's not REALLY the case that "nothing happens," it's just that the pace of the action leaves them cold.
  • DAL9000 27 Apr 2010 21:00:54 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    When I play Madden, I always hate playing the defensive plays

I just mash the buttons (after selecting whatever "Madden's Recommendation" is that time) and hope that the four downs run out and it's my turn to "play".

Then, when playing offense, I just "hail mary" every single time.

I think I've played against you in EVERY MULTIPLAYER GAME OF MADDEN EVER.

Although if you're playin' Madden SINGLE-player... did you know you can skip defense altogether nowadays? Just hit start, then scroll down to super sim and select "sim until next change of possession."
  • Deleted user 27 April 2010 21:02:51
    'Soccer' was a bad example. Try rugby. A real game. Knocks spots of American Football and 'soccer' for that matter as pure entertainment and ball in play per minute

I admire your gusto though :)
  • ronuds 27 Apr 2010 21:19:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    American Football can be pretty boring, too. Two great defensive teams playing against one another can sometimes be a snooze fest.
  • DAL9000 28 Apr 2010 04:08:38 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    American Football can be pretty boring, too. Two great defensive teams playing against one another can sometimes be a snooze fest.

True enough. But that's true in any sport -- have you ever watched a game where BOTH sides came out in a 5-4-1? I have. Oh God. To my eternal horror and regret, I have.
  • ilmaestro 28 Apr 2010 04:29:33 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    'Soccer' was a bad example. Try rugby. A real game. Knocks spots of American Football and 'soccer' for that matter as pure entertainment and ball in play per minute
    Oh god, you really haven't been watching England recently, have you? :lol:

ronuds: actually, you've phrased that wrong. Two terrible offensive and moderate defensive teams can produce a bad game, as can poor weather conditions leading to a low scoring game. Two great defensive teams can be as "exciting" as two great offensive teams (a game that finishes 45-42 might seem exciting, but the reality is that more scores means each individual score is less important, and thus less exciting imo. This is a bigger problem in college football, though) if you know what you're watching, and enjoy violence.

Does someone want to start a 2010 season thread to discuss the draft? Or shall we just get a mod to rename this to "Official Football Discussion Thread" or something?

• StarchildHypocrethes 28 Apr 2010 09:28:26 25,406 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was pretty chuffed with Miami's draft, especially after trading for Brandon Marshall beforehand. Stiffened up the defense somewhat and given Henne a proper target to aim for.

Looking pretty good for 2010 I reckon.
  • boo 28 Apr 2010 09:39:22 11,703 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok Dal... I have a question.
    Way back when C4 starting broadcasting American Football, someone tried to explain the finer points of the game to me. This was a long time ago.

Now, I vaguely remember there being something about the defense that went thus...

If you're standing, you're allowed to do X when the snap comes.
    If you're crouched down, and have one hand touching the ground, you're allowed to do something else / not allowed to do something.

This has always baffled me. Surely you'd need about 11 officials to watch each defensive player, see how they were standing, and then watch to see what they did when the play started?

Am I remembering correctly, or was all of this just from some fevered dream, and I've misunderstood completely?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 7 First / Last