American football: ask a coach! Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • DAL9000 4 Aug 2011 00:40:39 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, well played, Maestro. Well played.

I'm with you on both counts, though, except for the "might" part. I really believe that Stanford was playing the best football in the country by the end of the year.
  • Salaman 4 Aug 2011 09:05:18 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    (This is college football I'm talking about, if you're staring at me in blank incomprehension.)

Wait, is there a camera our the office?

DAL9000 wrote:
    Did you CHOOSE to go to Buffalo as an exchange student? I just-- I don't-- WHY?

Why there and not, say, southern California?

It's easier and cheaper for return trips?
    No, you got to pick a country and then you were assigned a host family in that country.
    Arcade, NY wasn't too bad. There were more than 4 streets all in all and the magnificent city of Buffalo was a mere 45 minutes away. :-)

I think the majority of the exchange students ended up in sleepy little towns and villages across the US. A few must've ended up in Southern California but not that many.

• welshben23 4 Aug 2011 11:27:04 1,079 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:Too bad there's so little coverage over here in Europe. I enjoy watching a good game of football.

I presume you live in the UK. What the hell are you on about? There's at least 3 games a week available to watch, more if you have ESPN. Plus NFL Total Access on most days of the week. Apologies if you don't have Sky.
  • Salaman 4 Aug 2011 12:11:57 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    welshben23 wrote:
    Salaman wrote:Too bad there's so little coverage over here in Europe. I enjoy watching a good game of football.

I presume you live in the UK. What the hell are you on about? There's at least 3 games a week available to watch, more if you have ESPN. Plus NFL Total Access on most days of the week. Apologies if you don't have Sky.

Nope. I'm in Belgium. Nothing on here that I'm aware of.
  • Zizoo 4 Aug 2011 12:23:17 8,248 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DAL9000

Were you the QB in school, and if so; did you date the head-cheerleader?
  • JBlokeUK 4 Aug 2011 13:01:54 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    So who are the hot players these days?
    Let's see. QBs: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the gold standard. Manning is probably the greatest QB ever to play the game. Drew Brees of the Saints is also a superstar.

RBs: Chris Henry ran for two thousand yards a couple of years ago. Adrian Peterson is the second coming of Jim Brown -- a power back with very good speed and great burst.

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne.

Defensive players-- there are only a few name defenders in the NFL. Darelle Revis is definitely one -- a shutdown cornerback with swagger aplenty. Ray Lewis is as ferocious a linebacker as I've seen; Patrick Willis is also an outstanding backer. Haloti Ngata is just a ridiculously dominant defensive tackle. And then there's Ed Reed, a future Hall of Famer at free safety.

Scary fact: Reed, Lewis, and Ngata are on the same team. (Baltimore, if you're curious.)
    Chris Henry? You mean Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans?

I like it when he's angry.

• Deleted user 4 August 2011 13:05:15
    welshben23 wrote:

Nothing compared to the US coverage though.

I'm seriously considering shelling out 180 for the online all game pass thing this season. Sky show fuck all Bengals games.
  • JBlokeUK 4 Aug 2011 13:05:44 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I actually played WR for 2 years when I was 18 and followed the NFL for over 20 years and been a Chicago Bears fan since I was 10 years old.

Happy to share my knowledge and answer any questions :)

I like it when he's angry.

• DAL9000 4 Aug 2011 16:09:09 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:

Chris Henry? You mean Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans?

I do, yes. Now let us never speak of this again. ;D - By which I mean thanks for the correction.
  • Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2011 16:50:54 4,778 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    BTW, Clive, you're going to LOVE Jim Harbaugh. I'm a long-suffering Stanford fan -- Harbaugh came in as head coach of Stanford when we'd just gone 1-11 and people were seriously talking about dropping the football program entirely.

When he left us four years later, we'd just gone 12-1, won the Orange Bowl, and were just DOMINANT in all phases of the game. And he did it all with enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Great hire by the 9ers, even if I wish he'd stayed at Stanford for life.

(This is college football I'm talking about, if you're staring at me in blank incomprehension.)

Hah, I'm old enough to remember him playing as a rookie for the Bears and spent quite some time breaking down film of Stanford after it appeared likely the 49ers wanted him. It's nice to know the Niners will have an offensive system this year that doesn't involve Gore on a dive 50% of the time. You'll be hard pressed to see a more poorly coached outfit than the 49ers over the past 5-6 years.

Of course I'll always have a massive soft spot for the Stanford programme as they've been good to the 49ers over the years.
  • DAL9000 4 Aug 2011 18:34:23 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Different American sport, but why is the World Series of Baseball called the World Series?

Pardon the belated response, but here y'go! When the first World Series was held in 1903, the U.S. was the only place in the world that played high-level baseball. So it really was the world championship.

Of course, the ACTUAL reason it's called that is because a promoter said: "Hey! I bet we can make more money off this if we call it the World Series!" Mmmm, capitalism.
  • ronuds 4 Aug 2011 18:51:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    Hey, ronuds, I'm curious-- how on EARTH have you learned this much about football? Your answers are always spot-on -- it's darned impressive for someone who hasn't marinated in football all his life. Did you play the game when you were younger?

I cheat... I'm from the US. Been playing and following all my life. Well, not so much playing these days - not with these old bones! :)
  • welshben23 4 Aug 2011 18:54:27 1,079 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    welshben23 wrote:

Nope. I'm in Belgium. Nothing on here that I'm aware of.

I apologise wholeheartedly. Sorry :)
  • Razz 4 Aug 2011 18:54:37 60,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My mate plays for the London Blitz who recently won the EFAF Cup! was an awsome game against a Serbian team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• DAL9000 22 Aug 2011 17:33:46 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the heck, I've got a few spare hours this afternoon. This thread is back open for business!
  • Salaman 3 Mar 2013 19:32:34 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't seem like two years since I last saw movement in this thread.

Anyway ... Seem like a good place for this
    http://www.tastefullyoffensive.com/2013/02/a-nerds-guide-to-american-football.html
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next