American football: ask a coach! Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• pinebear 3 Aug 2011 08:28:20 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey DAL CBY, good to see the thread is still going!

I have a question for you - what's the best Fantasy NFL game around at the moment?

Yours,
    San Francisco Sixty-Piner

• Tabasco 3 Aug 2011 08:38:43 5,780 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really great thread this.

If anyone has any questions regarding the NFL, ask Dal, really knows his shit.
  • KingOfSpain 3 Aug 2011 10:17:51 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    Now that's an interesting one. Websites generally don't post basic overviews of what's happened in the NFL in the past couple of years. What kind of news are you looking for-- just the records of teams and player statistics? I'd say Football Reference is your best bet for that.

If it's broader trends you're looking for, here's a short summary:
    * There was labor unrest this past summer, but all is well now.
    * The league continues to trend towards passing-heavy offenses.
    * Passing defense is correspondingly important -- cornerbacks are getting HUGE money in free agency this year.

Was just looking for somewhere that would keep me updated without going crazy with the stats and over the top Americanisms!

Like a British view of the NFL if you like. I normally get all my sports news from the BBC but they don't cover the NFL much, for obvious reasons, but when they have I've found it really interesting and informative.
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Aug 2011 11:02:03 4,780 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't say there is much point looking for a British view of the NFL, it's an American game and the American coverage tends to be pretty comprehensive ( or saturated depending on your viewpoint ).

Both ESPN and CBS have decent sports news websites, they can keep you up to date with current news / opinions. Learning to understand the jargon is a huge part of understanding the game.
  • Zizoo 3 Aug 2011 11:30:04 8,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Different American sport, but why is the World Series of Baseball called the World Series?
  • Sponz 3 Aug 2011 12:21:28 648 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If i remember right, The World was/is an old US newspaper. Always confused me when I was younger.
  • andytheadequate 3 Aug 2011 12:50:22 8,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got a question about defensive formations. What are the benefits of having more/ less linebackers than lineman? For example (and I may be wrong,so bear with me), some teams use 3 lineman and 4 linebacks (or vice versa). In what situations (or what type of teams) would use which one?

Also, how can you spot a running formation compared to a passing one? I always assumed it was something to do with where the WR stand...

Good thread btw, love watching American Football (only on sky plus so I can fast forward through adverts!). I understand the fundamentals as it's tactically very similar to Rugby League really.

The three main differences are forward passes, blocking and the ball is out of play after each down line of scrimmage.

• ronuds 3 Aug 2011 13:42:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1. Some teams use different defensive strategies - there's really no situation where a 3-4 defense is "better" than a 4-3. It just depends on your team's strengths. If I'd give them advantages, I'd say the 3-4 is better against the pass and covering sideline to sideline (linebackers are better in coverage than D lineman) and 4-3 is better for the run (a bunch of big, fat bastards clogging up the middle).

2. An offense is designed so that you can't tell a run formation vs. a pass. You just have to know the situation and which play is more advantageous for the offense to run.

However, typically a team will run from an I or split-I formation. But, mainly you'll want to look for running plays on 1st downs, 2nd and 7 yards or less and 3rd and 1 or 2 yards.
  • andytheadequate 3 Aug 2011 13:46:54 8,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers! Next question: What's an "eye" and "split eye" formation?

• ronuds 3 Aug 2011 13:51:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha!

The I is when you have your QB, fullback and halfback lined up one behind the other. A split I is the same formation, except the fullback is positioned off-center behind the QB.

Also, I said "eye," but it's the letter I! Sorry...

Edit: And a wiki explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_formation
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2011 14:18:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm assuming these questions are in regards to Madden?

I forgot to mention, just watch the QB and receivers! It's pretty obvious in Madden when the QB is making a motion to hand the ball off. And you can tell if it's a play-action pass if, instead of staying on the line to block, the receivers take off down field.
  • andytheadequate 3 Aug 2011 14:38:58 8,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks again.

It's actually because the season is about to start again! Like I said, I enjoyed watching the game and picked up quite a bit from the commentary etc, just a few things I wasn't sure of.
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Aug 2011 14:45:25 4,780 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a question !

How many games will the Redskins win after going into training camp with a QB battle between John Beck and Rex Grossman ?
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2011 14:45:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I trust you're a Jets fan?
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Aug 2011 15:00:02 4,780 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Me ? No. Can't stand them.

49ers.
  • Salaman 3 Aug 2011 15:14:52 19,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So who are the hot players these days? I haven't followed NFL in years (with exception of the super bowl each year).
    Last time I paid any attention, it was Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomans, Bruce Smith, Favre, Aikman, Deion Sanders ... eurhm.

/racks brain

That's about all I can remember.
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2011 15:15:21 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, andy, but thanks anyway! :p

Redskins will win 7 games.
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2011 16:16:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    So who are the hot players these days? I haven't followed NFL in years (with exception of the super bowl each year).
    Last time I paid any attention, it was Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomans, Bruce Smith, Favre, Aikman, Deion Sanders ... eurhm.

/racks brain

You must not have watched in 20 years!
  • Blaketown 3 Aug 2011 16:26:57 4,652 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LOL that's my point of reference too.

Used to play for a team and watch the NFL religiously.

Dan Marino's Dolphins were my team.

Couldn't tell you a single player in the last 10 years probably.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blaketown 3 Aug 2011 16:29:34 4,652 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sponz wrote:
    If i remember right, The World was/is an old US newspaper. Always confused me when I was younger.

I think that's a myth.

Some have speculated that it is called the world series because it was originally sponsored by the New York paper The World. This idea is debunked by baseball Hall of Fame Museum in 1999. "[O]thers have asked that question of the staff at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. in recent weeks. "There's no evidence suggesting it was ever sponsored by the New York World newspaper," said Hall of Fame researcher Eric Enders. When the World Series between the National and American leagues began in 1903, the owners borrowed the name from the world championship series held in the 1880s between the National League and the American Association. Enders concludes the name didn't originate from the name of the long-defunct newspaper. It sounds like an urban myth."

Brap, brap, old chap.

• DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 20:52:23 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    I have a question !

How many games will the Redskins win after going into training camp with a QB battle between John Beck and Rex Grossman ?

Negative twelve.
  • DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 20:56:49 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW, Clive, you're going to LOVE Jim Harbaugh. I'm a long-suffering Stanford fan -- Harbaugh came in as head coach of Stanford when we'd just gone 1-11 and people were seriously talking about dropping the football program entirely.

When he left us four years later, we'd just gone 12-1, won the Orange Bowl, and were just DOMINANT in all phases of the game. And he did it all with enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Great hire by the 9ers, even if I wish he'd stayed at Stanford for life.

(This is college football I'm talking about, if you're staring at me in blank incomprehension.)
  • DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 21:19:48 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    So who are the hot players these days?

Let's see. QBs: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the gold standard. Manning is probably the greatest QB ever to play the game. Drew Brees of the Saints is also a superstar.

RBs: Chris Henry ran for two thousand yards a couple of years ago. Adrian Peterson is the second coming of Jim Brown -- a power back with very good speed and great burst.

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne.

Defensive players-- there are only a few name defenders in the NFL. Darelle Revis is definitely one -- a shutdown cornerback with swagger aplenty. Ray Lewis is as ferocious a linebacker as I've seen; Patrick Willis is also an outstanding backer. Haloti Ngata is just a ridiculously dominant defensive tackle. And then there's Ed Reed, a future Hall of Famer at free safety.

Scary fact: Reed, Lewis, and Ngata are on the same team. (Baltimore, if you're curious.)
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2011 21:22:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There have been so many changes since the lockout ended, it's making my head spin.

As a Jets fan, I'm happy though. ;)
  • White_Shadow 3 Aug 2011 22:20:59 2,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who would be your tips for this season's AFC/NFC/Super Bowl winners DAL? I was thinking about putting some money on the Ravens, but I'm not too sure how the fixturing works and whether they'll manage to finish above the Steelers, or even get stuck with them in the play-offs again.
  • DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 22:56:32 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:
    Who would be your tips for this season's AFC/NFC/Super Bowl winners DAL? I was thinking about putting some money on the Ravens, but I'm not too sure how the fixturing works and whether they'll manage to finish above the Steelers, or even get stuck with them in the play-offs again.

I have /no/ idea. Please don't gamble based on my advice-- I don't follow the NFL very closely.
  • DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 22:58:33 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, ronuds, I'm curious-- how on EARTH have you learned this much about football? Your answers are always spot-on -- it's darned impressive for someone who hasn't marinated in football all his life. Did you play the game when you were younger?
  • Salaman 3 Aug 2011 23:30:02 19,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

/racks brain

You must not have watched in 20 years!

Yeah that's about right. I spent a year in the US as an exchange student near Buffalo, NY.
    The organisation I was there with had a concession stand in the Bills stadium at Orchard Park, so for every home game we needed 20 volunteers to go man the stand. Me and a German exchange student used to help set up, do the pre-game shift and stick around for the half time peak and then slink off into the stadium to find some free seats and watch the second half of the game.

Which reminds me Blaketown. Dan Marino sucks!
    :-P

It was good fun. Buffalo was doing really well, so we say quite a few games. We even went to hang out near the tunnels the players come onto the field from and saw OJ Simpson from up close who was there to commentate.
    About a year before his white Bronco ride.

Too bad there's so little coverage over here in Europe. I enjoy watching a good game of football.
  • DAL9000 3 Aug 2011 23:54:47 72 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you CHOOSE to go to Buffalo as an exchange student? I just-- I don't-- WHY?

Why there and not, say, southern California?
  • ilmaestro 4 Aug 2011 00:22:31 32,453 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DAL9000 wrote:
    and were just DOMINANT in all phases of the game.
    All phases of the game except how to stop Oregon's offence amirite. ;)

fwiw, I think you would have beaten Oregon by the end of the season if the Pac-10 had a championship game, and might have even knocked off Auburn.

• Page

of 7 First / Last