Diablo like games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Dragul 31 Jul 2008 23:33:46 5,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What good games are out there that are like Diablo?

I already have:

PC:

Diablo
    Diablo II
    Diablo II - Lord of destruction
    Titan Quest
    Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
    Silverfall
    Dungeon Siege
    Dungeon Siege: Legend of Aranna
    Dungeon Siege II
    Dungeon Siege II: Broken World
    Nox
    Kult: Herectic Kingdoms
    Hellgate: London

PS2:

Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance
    Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance II

PSP:
    Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony

So... Any other suggestions?
  • PinkSpider 31 Jul 2008 23:34:43 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best Diablo is PSOne, co-op with a friend in the room.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2008 23:35:01
    The PC Baldur's Gate games? Are they kinda similar?
  • Dragul 31 Jul 2008 23:36:04 5,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really... but I also have the complete collection
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jul 2008 23:37:48 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dungeon Runners is okish, though it's been ages since I played it, as Mythos was better. It's free.

Fate is ok, though, once again, I played it quite a while ago. Looks like there's a new version/expansion out.

Loki is just so acceptable if you really crave for a new action RPG, but not really a good game.

Many people like Sacred, though I thought it was a bit shit.
  • Dragul 31 Jul 2008 23:40:18 5,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've seen Loke for sale a few days ago... but it felt like the setting was similiar to TQ but without the spit and polish the last one has...
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jul 2008 23:41:52 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's Norse mythology mostly, though. It's not nearly in the same league as Titan Quest though.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2008 23:42:16
    Er, Planescape Torment?

Though that's slightly cleverer than Diablo. (ie. lots of reading)
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jul 2008 23:42:52 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's not really like Diablo at all.
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jul 2008 23:47:05 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, Champions of Norrath on the PS2. The first one was quite alright (very similar to BG:DA), not played the second one.
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jul 2008 23:50:16 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, good point. That was alright. I think the PC version is on Steam.

edit:

No, it's not. I remember I bought in on some DD channel for a budget price, but obviously it wasn't Steam.
  • Micro_Explosion 31 Jul 2008 23:59:15 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance, it's not great though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Aug 2008 00:07:10 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and of course there's Hellgate. I liked it enough to be a subscriber for a while. Subscriptions aren't available anymore at the moment, but servers are up, or you can play it single-player.

Much better than its reputation, and playing as a melee or a ranged class are two different games, really. Playing as a marksman is basically the original Doom combined with Diablo's loot/skilltrees. Try the demo though, many people seem to have an irrational hatred against the game.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2008 00:12:52
    Post deleted
  • Micro_Explosion 1 Aug 2008 00:13:06 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Mythos.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Aug 2008 00:15:42 35,800 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mythos is dead, the servers are down.
  • funkstar 1 Aug 2008 00:16:50 1,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hasn't mythos been shut down indefinitely now? :(

if we're including the ps2 baldur's gate games, then you can probably throw in fallout: brotherhood of steel, which is basically the same game but in a fallout setting, and a bit shit iirc

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Saladin 1 Aug 2008 00:31:18 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried the Space Siege demo yet?

Personally, I was disappointed...no loot = poor Diablo clone.
  • Veracity 1 Aug 2008 01:54:14 352 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Fate is ok, though, once again, I played it quite a while ago. Looks like there's a new version/expansion out.
    Ooh, when did that happen? I don't often like Diablo clones (or roguelikes in general, for that matter), but Fate was kind of fun - it actually helped that it was so shoestring, since it didn't waste time on irritating distractions like a half arsed plot. Just min-max your heart out and hack away. Presumably different dev team, though? I thought the chap who wrote the original in, oh, three days or whatever it was parted company with WildTangent a while back. Still worth a demo download, I think.

@OP - Kult: Heretic Kingdoms was quite good, as far as I recall. Nethack and Linley's Crawl are decent classical ones; Gearhead is odd as hell but entertaining; Elona might amuse you. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic seems to be highly entertaining if you get into it and rubbish if you don't (I haven't played it). Space Hack seemed alright from the demo if you like that sort of thing.
  • Dragul 1 Aug 2008 19:51:39 5,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saladin wrote:
    Tried the Space Siege demo yet?

Personally, I was disappointed...no loot = poor Diablo clone.

I tried it and liked it... but it seemed a bit, well, shallow... but fun. I'll give it a go sometime soon.

UncleLou wrote:
    Oh, and of course there's Hellgate. I liked it enough to be a subscriber for a while. Subscriptions aren't available anymore at the moment, but servers are up, or you can play it single-player.

Much better than its reputation, and playing as a melee or a ranged class are two different games, really. Playing as a marksman is basically the original Doom combined with Diablo's loot/skilltrees. Try the demo though, many people seem to have an irrational hatred against the game.

I have it on my to play pile... but for reason I haven't touched it yet, but on your recommendation I'll give a soon!

Veracity wrote:

@OP - Kult: Heretic Kingdoms was quite good, as far as I recall. Nethack and Linley's Crawl are decent classical ones; Gearhead is odd as hell but entertaining; Elona might amuse you. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic seems to be highly entertaining if you get into it and rubbish if you don't (I haven't played it). Space Hack seemed alright from the demo if you like that sort of thing.

I already finished Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, felt a bit meh...

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms also is on my to play list... I'll think about it, after the first 2 recommendations...

I never heard of the others... O_o
  • Veracity 2 Aug 2008 09:40:30 352 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dragul wrote:
    I never heard of the others... O_o
    Space Hack is a shoestring budget Diablo in space, iwth a demo. The others are free roguelikes. Nethack I've not played in years, but it's kinda the universal standard most of the others rip off. Linley's Crawl (link is to the Stone Soup version, which is still being developed) is similar, but delights more in killing you. Gearhead is distinguished mainly by being post-apocalyptic and having mechs in it; everyone should play it at least once for the procedural dialogue generator. Elona gets points for upsetting purists by looking like it was made in RPGMaker and supporting console controllers, incorporating life-sim elements and a fairly neat quest generator, and the fact your pet can be a loli for no very clear reason. Have barely played it, but I can't not recommend a game in which my first character was "killed by an audience" before leaving the starting location.

Oh, I think Baroque looks interesting, too (PS2, PAL due out mid August, but don't be fooled by that, as it's a remake of a decade-old game) - incorporates the "yet another stupid death" convention into a narrative. Not very well received by the few sites that've reviewed it, though, so maybe best approached with caution.

Also, update on Fate: Undiscovered Realms - have looked at the demo, and unless they're doing a great job of hiding the reasons it's interesting, it's a pretty shocking cash-in even by shovelware/casual standards. It'd be generous to call it a 1.5 expansion - it's really closer to an in-house mod they're charging standard price for. Adds a couple of towns, each with its own dungeon, functionally pretty much identical to the original (why?); increases the arbitrary level cap, but does nothing with the PC spells or skills, and doesn't update the engine at all. Possibly of interest if you don't have Fate and fancy Diablo for stupid(er) people, but hard to recommend if you own the original, especially given the lack of discount.
  • Dragul 2 Aug 2008 14:19:04 5,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From what I've read of Baroque, the penalty for death is is really abusive... and has been getting punched in the face on all the reviews I've seen.

As for roguelikes I just can't stand them for some reason... :(

Anyway, I went and bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PSP. But any new recommendations is going to be taken in consideration for next month purchases.

So far:

Champions of Norrath
    Space Siege
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted