Gary McKinnon not being extradited to US Page 3

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Khanivor 28 Aug 2008 19:20:39 40,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has the US government said he did any of these things? Have they said he used scripts and blank passwords to gain access? Or has it all been McKinnon saying these things? One of the things that has interested me most about this case is how utterly credulous people are of his claims, even though court after court reckons what the US is accusing him of is a lot closer to the truth.

He has painted himself as some goofy fella who meant and caused no harm to anyone. Well duh, he's not exactly going to say he posses great knowledge and was a real threat to US systems, is he? It's be like people believing Glitter if he said he didn't know they were underage.

BTW, is this the Mark Summers you mean?
  • Khanivor 28 Aug 2008 19:21:52 40,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aionic wrote:
    I mean, how crazy about aliens would you have to be to hack into the US and risk all this?

How sane would you have to be to hack into US computers and when you're caught claim it was all a jape brought on because you're a bit special in the head?
  • Carrybagma 29 Aug 2008 14:20:32 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The admins for the boxes he got on should be on trial - has anything been published about them?
  • Youthist 29 Aug 2008 14:22:17 10,010 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    How sane would you have to be to hack into US computers and when you're caught claim it was all a jape brought on because you're a bit special in the head?

Is that sentence even in English?
    I am not K's biggest fan - but there is nothing wrong with it, and yes, it is English. Can you read English?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• coastal 22 Sep 2008 10:50:52 5,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo for Mr McKinnon this sunday in London.

The London Autistic Rights Movement is organising an demonstration in support of recently diagnosed Asperger's syndrome sufferer Gary McKinnon, who is facing imminent extradition to the United States of America, rather than facing a UK court, for his alleged computer hacking activities over 6 years ago.

Date: Sunday 28th September
    Start Time: 4 pm
    24 Grosvenor Square
    London
    W1A 2LQ

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2008 10:53:16 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So having Assburgers means you can break the law with impunity?

Edit: Ah aspergers, I stand corrected.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• FWB 22 Sep 2008 10:55:00 43,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @OldRed

Exactly.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2008 10:56:15 58,851 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, im no fan of the extradition, but playing the autism card is ridiculous.

They should just tell the US government that his Rain Man power is computer hacking and they will probably just give him a job.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• StarchildHypocrethes 22 Sep 2008 10:57:02 25,426 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Could be quite an entertaining demonstration to watch.
  • FWB 22 Sep 2008 10:57:49 43,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Considering they'll butt-rape him with a spork in a military compound for the next 50 years, he should play any card he can.
  • FWB 22 Sep 2008 10:58:20 43,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

Hehe.

/Is going to hell
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2008 10:58:32 58,851 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

They should also get that guy who can draw anything he sees.

Form some kind of elite asspergers spy unit.

With Tom Cruise as their handler...

He totally called it

• coastal 22 Sep 2008 10:58:35 5,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i would have thought it was pretty obvious that if you have a mental condition where you are unable the law then the law must take that into account when judging you. That would be my prefered choice of law.

• TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2008 10:58:38 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminus wrote:
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    So having Assburgers means you can break the law with impunity?

No. I agree with you. He should have been aware of the law, he's smart enough that he doesn't have stupidity as an excuse but the sentence will probably be out of proportion to the harm done because the US have to discourage other hackers from trying the same thing.

Isn't that true of many scentances. I've seen robbers get more than child killers for this very reason.

Edit: Losing the ability to type.

• TheSaint 22 Sep 2008 11:01:41 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if Groovemeister will be there?
  • coastal 22 Sep 2008 11:01:42 5,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't mind him being extradited if it was a reasonable term of imprisionment that he's facing. 40-70 years is extreme and can not be condoned.

• nickthegun 22 Sep 2008 11:03:13 58,851 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SgtFrog wrote:
    If this guy was a non-white muslim the support would be about zero.

Seriously, this guy broke into the systems of a country that is as close to a wartime footing than at any other time in history due to the ongoing terrorism war, and he expects a slap. Extradite him and rid the country of another moron.

It depends what they were extraditing him for.

He totally called it

• mrblackett 22 Sep 2008 11:31:39 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have very little sympathy for this chump, tbh. This 70 year sentence that's been mentioned is the maximum sentence he faces for hacking into the US military's network. Had he not appealed his extradition, the prosecutor was willing to offer a deal of 3-4 years. By appealing, they've upped it to 8-10 years. I don't think that's excessive. With good behaviour he'll be out in, what, five years. The only person claiming the US want to make an example of him is him.

He has committed a crime and Aspergers is no excuse. If he was deliberately attempting to expose the security weaknesses of the network in order to get them to tighten security, I'd be all for him. As it stands, he just wanted to snoop about. By his own admission he wanted to "disrupt at the highest levels."

Well he did disrupt at the highest level and he was caught. He needs to be a fucking man and face the consequences of his actions.
  • FWB 22 Sep 2008 11:38:41 43,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In all fairness he is getting what he deserves.

Though if the shoe was on the other foot I can't see the US sending one of their guys over here. That'll never happen though as the British government is perfectly capable of fucking up its IT systems by itself.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2008 11:42:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrblackett wrote:
    He needs to be a fucking man and face the consequences of his actions.

There's not enough of this kind of thinking. Rights should come with responsibilities.

• FWB 22 Sep 2008 11:46:12 43,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're right. If I have windows on my house, someone can see in and will be tempted to steal all my stuff. It's my responsibility to board up all openings to my home otherwise I'm at fault if I get burgled.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2008 11:48:06 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminus wrote:
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    mrblackett wrote:
    He needs to be a fucking man and face the consequences of his actions.

There's not enough of this kind of thinking. Rights should come with responsibilities.

The US also has a responsibility to secure it's networks. If you leave your door open and you get robbed, can you really be pissed? You had it coming basically.

Bollocks - if I leave my windows open I still expect the thief to be punished for stealing. It would probably screw up my insurance, but not the fact that a crime was commited.

Edit: Learning how to spell

• mrblackett 22 Sep 2008 11:48:33 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If someone burgles your house when you left the door open, they can't keep your stuff if they get caught. It's still burglary.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2008 11:50:48 58,851 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But your insurance thinks you are stupid enough not to pay up.

So what do you think of that, eh?

He totally called it

• Pirotic Moderator 22 Sep 2008 11:53:31 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From what I know, they had systems within the trusted network of secure systems, which didn't even require a high level account password to get into, then via that computer you can go ahead and access from the secured computer.

Quite how they can jail anybody for 'breaking in' to a totally unsecured system I don't know, that's like if I pick up a CD which happens to have all that benefit data on it, I'd instantly become a criminal.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2008 11:54:07 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The argument isn't that the US Government failed in their duty to protect their own interests, it's that this guy broke the law and is trying to weasel out of it. He broke the law and now has to face the consequences.

• Chopsen 22 Sep 2008 11:55:24 15,727 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The law (in the UK in any case) differentiates between authorised and unauthorised access to a computer system, not if you were clever enough to know how to log in or not.

• mrblackett 22 Sep 2008 11:55:29 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    But if you kept some very precious stuff inside your house, and everyone knew that you kept some precious stuff in the house, and decided to put some pretty rubbish locs on the door which some people could easily overcome, then any judge would probably have some choice words for you. Wouldn't affect the conviction of the burglar at all as you say, but you would be remarkably silly.

Absolutely, which is probably why this knob was originally offered 3-4 years, not 70.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last