Elite: Dangerous Page 23

  • Page

    of 126 First / Last

  • spindizzy 24 Mar 2014 12:52:08 6,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This video (hope it wasn't posted yet) shows some of the subtleties of combat - looks great!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI
  • HelloNo 24 Mar 2014 12:56:22 1,546 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Kanjin wrote:
    Are there any half-decent sticks that go for under 50? I can't see myself getting many stick-needing game to be honest.
    Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X is meant to not be at all bad.
    Thanks!
  • Tiger_Walts 24 Mar 2014 13:32:34 16,671 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    This video (hope it wasn't posted yet) shows some of the subtleties of combat - looks great!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI
    That is some fantastic flying.

    I can only imagine what sort of tactics you could dream up when you are flying with buddies. Sending out a 'hot' decoy to lead guys into ambushes. :)

    Edited by Tiger_Walts at 13:38:50 24-03-2014
  • RobAnybody 16 May 2014 08:45:57 1,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Alpha 4 just released, and we have the proper hyperspace jump sequence:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QvVbyUAwkmk#t=0

    'Tis a thing of audio and visual beauty. :D
  • pauleyc 16 May 2014 09:58:22 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That looks absolutely amazing.
  • RobAnybody 16 May 2014 10:21:20 1,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wish I could afford to buy into the Premium Beta. Ah well, just going to have to wait for the full release. :)
  • pauleyc 16 May 2014 10:53:53 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm seriously considering the standard beta as we'd need two copies anyway; I'm quite certain the wife wouldn't mind waiting for my Kickstarter reward. :-)
  • beastmaster 16 May 2014 11:39:28 13,121 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Full release. Indeed. When?
  • ResidentKnievel 16 May 2014 11:47:44 6,395 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looks like it'll be a sensory overload if you have Occulus Rift as well :)

    Is it true that the audio is procedurally generated so the jump sounds are slightly different each time?
  • RobAnybody 16 May 2014 12:27:02 1,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Full release. Indeed. When?
    2014. :)
  • beastmaster 16 May 2014 12:29:48 13,121 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is one game which I think deserves some sort of mega collectors edition. But what to include with it? A real spaceship would be nice :-)
  • pauleyc 16 May 2014 12:37:51 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    This is one game which I think deserves some sort of mega collectors edition. But what to include with it? A real spaceship would be nice :-)
    I'd settle for this:



    source
  • Ged42 16 May 2014 12:49:40 7,981 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    That looks like it'll be a sensory overload if you have Occulus Rift as well :)

    Is it true that the audio is procedurally generated so the jump sounds are slightly different each time?
    I can imagine having a 2001 'its full of stars' moment playing with Occulus Rift
  • Rusty_M 16 May 2014 13:18:58 5,420 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Alpha 4 just released, and we have the proper hyperspace jump sequence:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QvVbyUAwkmk#t=0

    'Tis a thing of audio and visual beauty. :D
    Willpower... Crumbling... Can't... Hold out... Much... Longer
  • pauleyc 16 May 2014 13:22:51 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The galaxy map and more hyperspace:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFcxygJfERY

    More footage (incl. planetary rings from 6:30 and later frame-shift drive)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7K9Rl7fRjc
  • ResidentKnievel 16 May 2014 13:37:57 6,395 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    The galaxy map and more hyperspace:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFcxygJfERY
    Holy moly
  • HelloNo 16 May 2014 14:36:52 1,546 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I think my brain just sputtered a bit there.

    It also makes me wonder about the install side. Obviously there's got to be tons of space to hold all this data. Has it all got to be downloaded or does it work off a cloud?
  • pauleyc 16 May 2014 14:47:10 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not as much as with other games thanks to the wonder of procedural generation Braben talks about this in an early video). After all, Frontier with its vector graphics and generated galaxy fit on a 720 kB floppy disc.

    For what it's worth, the first Alpha install size was apparently around 1.2GB, though that was just the flight model part. The Alpha 4 is supposed to weigh 2-3 GB.

    Edited by pauleyc at 14:57:42 16-05-2014
  • HelloNo 16 May 2014 22:00:38 1,546 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's still pretty small by today's standards. Think Vampire bloodlines is about 4 and that's 10 years old. Procedural generation sure is something 'is impressed'
  • Dirtbox 16 May 2014 23:18:32 81,872 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has no one played any of the previous Elites? All this stuff was in those as well, albeit without the extra pretty.
  • dogmanstaruk 16 May 2014 23:25:33 632 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Alpha 4 just released, and we have the proper hyperspace jump sequence:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QvVbyUAwkmk#t=0

    'Tis a thing of audio and visual beauty. :D
    Willpower... Crumbling... Can't... Hold out... Much... Longer
    Do..it...join us in the Premium Beta :)
  • mal 17 May 2014 01:08:54 24,187 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The search begins! Jaffa cake for the first person to find a rudely named planet that slipped through the filters. Damn, those filters must be dirty.
  • mal 17 May 2014 01:11:48 24,187 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Has no one played any of the previous Elites? All this stuff was in those as well, albeit without the extra pretty.
    Kind of. BBC Elite fitted 8 galaxies on one side of a 40-track 100k floppy, and still had room for the game. But those were 2d galaxies, and looked a lot smaller than the one in that vid. There were still a few unvisitable planets except using hacks, and in 3d without the right algorithm you'd have far many more I suspect.

    Edit: And Geoff Crammond's Sentinel still beat it, for having 10000 3d levels, and I got that on a bootleg floppy with 7 other games on it.

    Edited by mal at 01:13:17 17-05-2014
  • scoop 18 May 2014 12:10:22 5 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mal Braben's TED talk on proceduralism. "It's all free"



    I'm so itching for the 30th now that I've perfected my Cobra hunting skills.

    I've got my X52 Pro already and ordered a bunch of Arduino boards to build a head tracker in the meantime. And come August I *should* have my OC DK2 :)

    It's been decades since I've gone all-out to prepare for a game... a lot more exciting than "just" buying a more powerful PC rig.
  • ResidentKnievel 18 May 2014 20:15:20 6,395 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vid showing a few different ships



    The Anaconda sounds amazing
  • Dirtbox 18 May 2014 20:22:26 81,872 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw some hilarious speculation about how supercruise works, apparently they're "swapping the models for smaller ones with less distance between them".

    And there was me thinking they just upped the FOV a bit.
  • Whizzo 18 May 2014 23:08:45 43,952 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mal wrote:
    The search begins! Jaffa cake for the first person to find a rudely named planet that slipped through the filters. Damn, those filters must be dirty.
    Uranus.
  • JoeBlade 18 May 2014 23:47:02 2,990 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck me sideways this looks gooooooood o_O

    And it's Elite \o/

    (the game, not Uranus)
  • mal 19 May 2014 03:43:44 24,187 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hey, the Anaconda's got red function keys!
  • Page

    of 126 First / Last

Log in or register to reply