So, no one cares about tennis, now 'Wimbly' is over? Page 94

• Page

of 111 First / Last

• Deckard1 11 Sep 2012 09:03:14 27,584 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Congratulations Murray, you've finally done enough to consider yourself an honorary Englishman. Welcome to the cool table.

Hush you ponce

• Trowel 11 Sep 2012 09:03:22 17,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    3 1/2 hours sleep is my grand slam souvenir, well worth the price. Those rallies were immense.
  • pistol 11 Sep 2012 09:03:57 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uglygamer wrote:
    IMO wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    IMO wrote:
    If he does, nailed on SPOTY.
    I'd still fancy Wiggins for that, myself.
    I dunno, there's been so much emotion about Murray's game for so long, I think he'll swing the sentimental vote.

We'll sort that out if and when he wins though.
    If it was Wimbledon he would have definitely won it, but as its the US open it'll be close, probably the favourite though.
    Not sure you realise but hardcourts are murray's favourite and he's particularly keen on the US Open. It's his favourite Slam, probably because he won the boys singles title before moving to the seniors.
  • Trowel 11 Sep 2012 09:06:00 17,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I said last night, the lack of terrestrial coverage (and the time zone factor) will count against Murray. Plus Wiggins deserves it more anyway.
  • pistol 11 Sep 2012 09:08:25 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Never been a fan of the US Open ... much prefer Roland Garros, Australian Open and Wimbledon however, that is not to take anything away from Murray - absolutely superb news to wake up to!

Ivan Lendl could have least tried to crack a smile though, the miserable looking bugger.

Andy clearly was thinking about going straight to bed after the match had finished though, which is probably why his speech wasn't awfully emotional or me memorable ... not that I blame him.

... : )
    US Open is my favourite Slam and I've been to 3 of them multiple times. Only one I haven't been to is Australia. The US Open is so different to the others. Much more news, almost a carnival atmosphere with bands playing and stuff. And with the day and night sessions under the lights it adds to the drama. My first visit was 1999 and been 4 times in all. Arthur Ash stadium is incredible, although probably too big.
  • pistol 11 Sep 2012 09:13:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    People might not vote for a cyclist two years in a row.
    That's actually a good point, but I think with the enormity of what Wiggo did in France, plus his Olympic achievements it'll be hard not to bet against him.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 09:19:13 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murray will win SPOTY over Wiggins. Cycling has more participation, but Tennis has more TV coverage.
  • kalel 11 Sep 2012 09:22:16 86,798 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Murray will win SPOTY over Wiggins. Cycling has more participation, but Tennis has more TV coverage.
    Olympics has better coverage still, plus the likes of Wiggins, Ennis, Farah and Ainsley are all likeable.
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 09:28:16 4,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Never been a fan of the US Open ... much prefer Roland Garros, Australian Open and Wimbledon however, that is not to take anything away from Murray - absolutely superb news to wake up to!

Ivan Lendl could have least tried to crack a smile though, the miserable looking bugger.

Andy clearly was thinking about going straight to bed after the match had finished though, which is probably why his speech wasn't awfully emotional or me memorable ... not that I blame him.

... : )
    US Open is my favourite Slam and I've been to 3 of them multiple times. Only one I haven't been to is Australia. The US Open is so different to the others. Much more news, almost a carnival atmosphere with bands playing and stuff. And with the day and night sessions under the lights it adds to the drama. My first visit was 1999 and been 4 times in all. Arthur Ash stadium is incredible, although probably too big.
    I'd love to go actually, I'm thinking about going to NY next year and tying it in with the tournament (the weather has been a bit erratic though!)

The crowd were pretty shocking mind you, they could learn a lot from the Wimbledon crowd in terms of etiquette.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 09:31:27 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    Olympics has better coverage still, plus the likes of Wiggins, Ennis, Farah and Ainsley are all likeable.
    The Olympics is once every four years where as the British public have been following the career of Murray for the last 7-8 years. Plus I'd argue that Murray is more likable than Ainsley, who comes across as an arrogant prick at times.
  • TheSaint 11 Sep 2012 09:38:54 14,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder how many of the 'Come on Andy' brigade even knew that he was playing last night?
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 09:39:07
    You have to remeber that the furoe over the last few weeks will die down as well. The cycling lobby is massive, tight knit community, so i think they will be out enforce.

I will be voting wiggo.

Pissed off this was not on freeview though, even eurosport didn't have it. listened to the first two sets on radio then went to bed. well done though!
  • Fab4 11 Sep 2012 10:10:12 5,986 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wiggo has more of a personality too...there I said it ;)
  • Whizzo 11 Sep 2012 10:11:33 43,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck me I'm knackered this morning but it was certainly worth staying up for, some quite incredible stuff was played in the match.

/props open eyelids with matchsticks

This space left intentionally blank.

• oceanmotion 11 Sep 2012 11:30:54 15,770 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool fact. This year, top 4 players each one a grand slam.

Australian Open - Djokovic
    Wimbledon - Federer
    French Open - Nadal
    US Open - Murray

Another interesting fact, Murray is the only one to have beaten a Champion to win a Grand Slam for the first time.

Edited by oceanmotion at 11:31:46 11-09-2012
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 11:36:15 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nope, Del Potro beat Federer in the 2009 final to take his first slam.
  • RedSparrows 11 Sep 2012 11:40:16 22,220 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    *Of the top 4.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 11:43:16 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, my mistake. Carry on.
  • RunningMan 11 Sep 2012 15:37:12 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love the Connery comment " And stop saying he's British, he's Scottish." From the tax exile from california/bermuda.

Anyway, well done Murray, first of many I hope.
  • ecureuil 11 Sep 2012 15:48:21 76,655 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloody hell, can we just start calling him Scottish so they'll all shut up about it? What an utterly bizarre act of trying to claim someone and ride on the coattails of their success. The people in Dunblane who were interviewed on the BBC news this morning were saying the same thing. What a nation of arseholes.
  • Ashwood 11 Sep 2012 15:55:37 402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, how dare a small nation be proud of a hugely talented sports star being from their country.
  • SaucyGeoff 11 Sep 2012 15:55:38 2,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Paying the price for staying up to watch this last night, suffering at my desk. Worth it though.
  • SolidSCB 11 Sep 2012 15:55:57 6,511 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know what everyone is moaning about. Murray clearly represents Scotland. Hasn't anyone seen the amount of times he's participated in the Scottish Davis Cup team?
  • RedSparrows 11 Sep 2012 15:58:44 22,220 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's said himself he's Scottish first, then British. He accepts a dual identity that is hierarchical. He happily competed for Britain at the Olympics.

What's the FUCKING ISSUE?
  • RunningMan 11 Sep 2012 16:08:08 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No issues, happy to accept he's Scottish and proud of it and then British. Annoyed at Connery hijacking it.
  • ecureuil 11 Sep 2012 16:10:56 76,655 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ashwood wrote:
    Yeah, how dare a small nation be proud of a hugely talented sports star being from their country.
    Never said they couldn't be proud. We all know he's Scottish, but as Scotland is part of Great Britain, he's also British. He's identified both ways by the media, regardless of how he performs. The whole "he's British when he wins and Scottish when he loses" thing was bullshit from the off anyway, it never happened and I'm not sure how it started. Seems the Scottish have a real stick up their ass about it now though. Can't be happy with his win without getting their priorities straight: telling the English they can't celebrate it cause he's not theirs. Bravo.
  • fergal_oc 11 Sep 2012 16:15:36 2,763 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Paying the price for staying up to watch this last night, suffering at my desk. Worth it though.
    This, 3 hours sleep, a stinking cold and work do not mix well come the later afternoon hours. Still it was definitely worth it.

Did anyone else notice the cockup on sky though? I was recording it for the missus and come 2am the guide switched to the next program and cut off the recording. Luckily I noticed and started recording the next program as at that time I think Murray had just got game 5 so I can imagine there's a few not so happy bunnies today if they were hoping to catch the end of the match and the interviews.
  • neems 11 Sep 2012 16:20:48 1,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As a Scot living in England, I honestly find this 'he's Scottish, not British' thing to be embarrassing. We might as well just say 'We have a huge inferiority complex'.

Agree with everything Ecureuil said.
  • SolidSCB 11 Sep 2012 16:25:10 6,511 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Small country mentality!
  • Page

of 111 First / Last