Star Trek Online Page 5

• Page

of 162 First / Last

• SpaceDave3000 16 Dec 2009 16:01:15 78,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It looked like Anarchy Online with a splash of that awful Bethesda Star Trek game.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DFawkes 16 Dec 2009 16:02:05 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing official on STO 360, but one of the button prompts at the Expo was a 360 controller one (could be just for the PC controller), they've already said the same engine (in CO) is up and running on 360, Microsoft are just dragging their heels. I'm guessing they want a cut of subs.

But having played Final Fantasy XI on 360, I'm not sold on the MMOs for 360 idea yet.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Hunam 16 Dec 2009 16:04:48 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The other problem is that Microsoft also want to make all MMO's require players to have a gold sub, which means you're paying a boat load and a lot of developers object to this because the game is not on MS servers.
  • morriss 16 Dec 2009 16:07:24 71,004 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice.
  • DFawkes 16 Dec 2009 16:34:35 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How did Square even manage to tell MS to piss off? A lot of money must've changed hands or something. It's not like playing FFXI even needs a single Gold feature, it's Squares servers, and even their Playonline service that you have to go through to play!

Whatever it was, I've played a bit of CO with a pad, and I could see that working okay. STO would probably work too, there's not that many controls around - some of the functions may get a bit hard to place, but shield rerouting, firing, flying and abilities should be easy enough.

I like my MMOs on PC though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Scimarad 16 Dec 2009 18:41:01 8,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aren't MS having problems getting iPlayer on the 360 because they want it to be gold only but the BBC won't let them charge for it? Or am I just believing crap internet rumours...

Also the whining bastards on the Cryptic forums seems to have got even worse and as a Champions player I didn't think that was possible.
  • Hunam 16 Dec 2009 18:58:53 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No no, it's true about Xbox and iplayer. Microsoft want to make gold worth the extra money and draw in silver users to gold, but it's starting to annoy third parties because microsoft rules it's console with an iron fist. They don't like too much free DLC and don't like online games and video services also being free or, well not to be paying them..
  • Scimarad 16 Dec 2009 19:09:40 8,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MS are really starting to wind me up about the Gold thing. It's especially ridiculous the limits silver users have in Forza 2 & 3 such as not even being able to receive gift cars or access the store front.

Of course, now Sony want to get in on the act...
  • RedSparrows 16 Dec 2009 19:14:58 22,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully Sony will get some MMO up and running and rake in cash, so MS get their act together and stop being dicks.

Although I'd only feel comfortable playing an MMOFPS on a console, I think.

Hello, Dust 514....
  • Spekingur 17 Dec 2009 14:31:56 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How "bad" did the video look?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Dec 2009 14:34:43 25,917 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It would probably have looked a bit dated around 5 years ago.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2009 14:48:00 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The visuals were fine at the Expo, verging on stunning at times. But then again they're hardly going to have it running on sub-par machines, those will have been beasts inside.

MMOs rarely look great though, you have to set your sights lower or less people can run it, hence less people will sub, hence less money. My old PC would most likely laugh at even STO. My new one runs Champions fine so hopefully it'll work out great, though if it doesn't run it I'm throwing it out the window.

• Spekingur 17 Dec 2009 14:52:27 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You know, alot of things would have looked a bit dated around 5 years ago. That includes me. And I'm doing mostly fine.
  • Dave_McCoy 17 Dec 2009 15:29:20 2,776 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I reckon I'll be getting this. Just waiting on which store does the best pre-order bonus now. I want the Borg bridge officer or the armour from the last Voyager episode.

I hope the community is easier to get on with than WARs. Of course, it might be me.
  • Hunam 17 Dec 2009 15:30:49 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, WAR has an odd community because they all know there is a great game beneath the layers of bullshit and broken quests/pvp and are all surly because of it.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2009 15:39:31 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    I reckon I'll be getting this. Just waiting on which store does the best pre-order bonus now. I want the Borg bridge officer or the armour from the last Voyager episode.

I hope the community is easier to get on with than WARs. Of course, it might be me.

Please don't go near the STO forums. Really, don't. That's an unplesant place, it could put you off STO and gaming in general for life! As for the community - well that's what EG is for! I'm sure there'll be a Fleet, we all join up and can ignore the constant barrages of whining. Assuming it's like Champions Online in the chat channels.

• Hunam 17 Dec 2009 15:40:17 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All MMO forums are full of retards, it's best to just steer clear of all of them.
  • mcmonkeyplc 17 Dec 2009 15:45:30 39,458 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EG FLEET! :D

Problems will arise once we can be other factions though. We could have 2 EG fleets at war with each other!

/sex wee

Come and get it cumslingers!

• DFawkes 17 Dec 2009 15:45:41 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, the same people never seem to turn up in game. They sit going on about balance issues in PvP, you go to their character page and they're a level 4 player who hasn't even got past the month you get with the game!

I still visit the STO forums for news and stuff, and since it's not out there's no balance issue or bug talk yet (that'll be on their beta forums, if CO is anything to go by) there can be some alright threads. I'm not going back post release though. Not only will you have the usual MMO hangups, but arguments on canon and the logic sense of it all. No thanks, we have some of the best Trekkies around here :)

Incidentally Star Trek Online group plug.

• CosmicFuzz 17 Dec 2009 16:16:33 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I might just have to splash out on an upgrade for this...I would love to be part of an EG fleet, would be awesome!

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Hunam 17 Dec 2009 16:18:19 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We'll end up like that fleet in the new movie no doubt!
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2009 16:22:06 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Storm in space? No bother OH MY GOD THAT THINGS MASSIVE!

End of the EG Fleet.

I've never been really into an MMO - sure I play CO plenty but DPS and all that jazz mean nothing to me. I wasn't fussy whe neveryone got up to level 20 when I was still a 5. But is that heck happening this time! I'll be a proper Captain before you all! Not really, I don't tend to have the time. But I will actually consider all my upgrades and stuff instead of "ooh, super torpedos sound nice!".

Just a thought - did Super Groups from CO beta carry on into the full game? I know there were the usual character wipes, but I think the chat server and Freidns List things are seperate, so if people join the Open Beta they could make a Fleet early.

• Spekingur 17 Dec 2009 17:56:45 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Friends list seems to keep between the two games.
    You will apparently also be able to choose which game to launch in the launcher (CO or STO).
  • Dave_McCoy 17 Dec 2009 18:06:52 2,776 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    No, WAR has an odd community because they all know there is a great game beneath the layers of bullshit and broken quests/pvp and are all surly because of it.

I just found it odd that there was a lot of power struggling in the two guilds I was briefly in. Strange, I thought you were supposed to work together.

I'm hoping there will be fleet battles against Borg cubes and the like. I can't imagine trying to solo one of those.
  • morriss 17 Dec 2009 18:07:47 71,004 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I WILL BE YOUR CAPTAIN.
  • Petrarch 17 Dec 2009 18:20:07 3,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got my pre-order in the other night, went with Amazon. I'm certainly up for a bit of action in an EG fleet come prime time if folks are interested.

The CO supergroup for EG sadly hasn't really worked out as virtually everyone as drifted off, so on that basis I won't be taking a leader role for STO. I'm quite content to leave that to DFawkes this time. :)

Just don't know where I'll find the time as Mass Effect 2 is out the week before.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2009 18:36:52 22,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want this game so much I'm considering pre-ordering in more than one place. That's mental.

Who's Doing What

All are doing Open Beta and Headstart, plus:

Amazon - Borg Bridge Officer
    Play - Skill Point Boost
    GAME - TR-116 Rifle (fires bullets but transports them to the target like the ep of DS9. Sexiest pre-order thing here)
    Gamestation - Shuttlecraft
    HMV - Tribble
    Steam US (so probably UK too) - Chromodynamic Armour

Images and stuff on the linked site. I've went with Amazon for now since it's the Special Edition at less than 20, but I might have Play.com one too as it's a "Silver Edition" and may be awesome.

• Spekingur 17 Dec 2009 18:46:07 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shuttlecraft :-o
  • Dave_McCoy 17 Dec 2009 18:49:40 2,776 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, Amazon it is. Borg Officer FTW! Shame I can't have TOS costumes and create a sexy bridge, mini skirts a go go.
  • Page

of 162 First / Last