ArmA 2 Page 4

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Res 19 Jun 2009 01:40:37 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone seen the gameplay footage of OpF2 from E3? It really shows off how immersive the first person view in ArmA is.

Prepare to be massively disappointed, the FPV looks no where near as good, really is a shame as I imagine the engine will run 10x smoother than Bohemia's does. Hopefully that is just a bad demo, but the view just looks so static by comparison.
  • FWB 19 Jun 2009 01:56:19 44,529 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks like the console version so no complaints about that. Without a mouse you can't have the same view as in ArmA2.

Ai does look a bit cack though. Battle size, gameplay and AI are going to be more important than view.
  • Res 19 Jun 2009 01:59:14 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why not? Hold down LB to look around with the right stick, normal aiming when not holding down LB would work. ArmA also has the option to fix the crosshair in the centre of the screen now and it still looks no where near as static as that.
  • BeheretiK 19 Jun 2009 09:33:09 883 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a nice detailed map of Chernarus as a pre-order bonus from Game - doesn't look like it requires authentication so feel free to grab while you can...

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2009 09:44:43 35,551 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oha.

I made a total graphics driver sweep last night because the Anno demo crashed, and installed the latest Nvidia beta drivers, and went back to may Arma 2 campaign - it runs significantly better now. Woohoo. I almost suspect it's not the new drivers, but that something with my old ones was borked.

The game's still not exactly fliyng, but I've upped the settings now, it feels smoother than before, and the random performance drops have all but stopped.
  • Metalfish 19 Jun 2009 10:02:42 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Res, comparisons between this game and OpFlash2 are ok, I fully expect both to be good games on their own merits. However if you really want to compare the two (as most of the gaming press will be doing when OF2 finally comes out) it may be worth doing it in a separate thread to avoid any hint of fanboy drama -from both sides- clogging up this thread.

TBH, I haven't seen fanboyishness for either game here in the forums, but there are some really "special" claims in the comments....
  • sweatshop78 19 Jun 2009 10:07:17 73 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got this through the post yesterday, haven't had a chance to install it yet (damn night-shifts).
  • PearOfAnguish 19 Jun 2009 10:08:34 7,274 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lou, apparently you can get a huge improvement in FPS by disabling bloom and motion blur.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2009 10:10:57 35,551 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's the "shader" setting, I guess? I tried different settings last night, but apart from setting "shadows" to lower than "high", nothing seemed to make a huge difference. Maybe I am at a point where I am CPU-limited now.
  • Res 19 Jun 2009 10:23:30 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a mod you can download to disable the motion blur and bloom linked to in this thread.

Developers have said a patch could be released today, but if they do work to get one out then the demo would have to be delayed. I would delay the demo until they get the game patched up and running as smoothly as it can personally, so I see no reason not to release patches as soon as they can.
  • Res 19 Jun 2009 10:38:15 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is not a patch to disable motion blur and bloom, just a bug fix patch. I have no idea why it would delay the demo either considering they said it could be out by Monday or Tuesday. I still think patches should be higher on the priority list at the moment.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2009 10:38:24 35,551 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think the patch is supposed to give you an option to disable features. Paragraphs 1 and 2 in Res' post weren't related to each other. :)
  • FWB 19 Jun 2009 10:52:27 44,529 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One day I will buy a super brand new PC just for gaming and I'll finally be able to play Crysis, Empire and this. By then we'll probably be on ArmA5 though.
  • Lonestar 19 Jun 2009 11:24:37 20 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maruk (BIS CEO) posted about bloom and HDR here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1315828#post1315828

The original poster probably wanted to raise issue with Crossfire where HDR sometimes causes major flickering (related to the nature of ArmA 2 engine and Crosfire). That problem seems to be reduced in Catalyst 9.6 or it is possible to overcome it by runing the game without Crossfire (which reduces maximum dual-GPU fillrate performance).

* anyway, bloom can be reduced by lowering brightness in your Video options to 0.9 or 0.8 (and you may compensate by slightly increasing gamma to 1.1 or 1.2).

* in ArmA 2 version 1.02, it will be possible to disable various post effects including bloom.

* the idea of disabling HDR simply doesn't work: in case of ArmA and ArmA 2, HDR is in the heart of the entire lighting model so disabling it means basically black screen. The whole mechanism has two parts: simulation of light and aperture control. Some tweaks to the light values when sun is near horizon are implemented in the upcoming version 1.02 and we may improve aperture control further in future revision as well
  • MrCarrot 19 Jun 2009 17:12:34 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Word of warning: the MOUT course in Basic Training is using live ammo, and yes, it has started already. :(
  • MrCarrot 19 Jun 2009 18:52:02 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And you don't even need to do it cos you get trained in the campaign anyway!

Half a mission in, my opfap-ometer is reading:

OpFap[--||-----------------------------------]Arma
  • byron_hinson 19 Jun 2009 19:42:11 1,512 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hows it running on a GTX 280
  • Whizzo 19 Jun 2009 19:57:02 43,115 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:OpFap[--||-----------------------------------]Arma
    Oooh good.

/goes back to downloading WH40K mod for OFP

/hopes ArmaII turns up in the post tomorrow

This space left intentionally blank.

• Clive_Dunn 19 Jun 2009 19:58:28 4,779 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Installing now, sloooowly.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2009 21:52:22 35,551 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not a game, it's a science. O_O
  • Ajay 19 Jun 2009 22:03:48 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True to form, I've just spent the last hour crawling around the MOUT village trying to complete the training mission (after getting shot immediately the first time, running in without realising the weapon I picked up had no ammunition the second time, and somehow falling of a lighthouse while prone and static the third time).

Op Flash is back!
  • BeheretiK 20 Jun 2009 00:32:24 883 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:
    And you don't even need to do it cos you get trained in the campaign anyway!

Half a mission in, my opfap-ometer is reading:

OpFap[--||-----------------------------------]Arma

I totally agree, ignore the training stuff and get straight into the campaign - awesome stuff! The starting missions are excellent and give you all the training you need to get going...

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Res 20 Jun 2009 01:34:36 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Patch 1.02 out now. I can't find the full list of patch notes yet but I guess they will put them up on their wiki page somewhere around here.
  • El_MUERkO 20 Jun 2009 02:19:51 17,020 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/
  • Ajay 20 Jun 2009 11:37:00 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Copy/pasted from the readme (minus all the specific scenario changes):

VERSION 1.02 HIGHLIGHTS
    -----------------------
    * Improved AI driving skills
    * Lowered enemy AI skills for regular and recruit difficulty levels
    * Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.
    * Fixed multiplayer session NAT negotiation
    * Improved game stability (various crash opportunities fixed)
    * Multiple save slots supported
    * Improved terrain shape beyond map borders
    * Various campaign and localisation fixes and improvements
    * Modules (F7) support added in the Mission Editor

Engine
    ------
    * Multiple savegame positions allowed.
    * Configuration fixes in radio protocol (including faster reaction to crew-related orders in vehicles).
    * Multiplayer server browser enlarged.
    * Improved steering for car.
    * Improved mobile artillery simulation.
    * Improved terrain shape beyond map borders.
    * Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.
    * Added UAV camera stabilization.
    * Indication of player connection status in list of players (Diary).
    * Possible to connect to server with template-based MP scenario.
    * Repeated weapon change command fixed in radio protocol.
    * Game no longer crashes when copying a linked trigger in the Mission Editor.
    * Different radio notification of multiple units attacking.
    * NAT negotiation issue removed (different negative sign cookie on client and server).
    * Fixed possible crash after or during Get In in multiplayer.
    * Improved transfer of building destruction in multiplayer.
    * Fine surface information are now properly used for surface properties.
    * Destroyed targets are no more massively reported after player has left the vehicle.
    * Proper update of AI pathfinding when new building is created in the landscape (new objects were ignored).
    * VON no longer crashes the game in certain circumstances.
    * AI sprinting on the spot removed if route was planned across the roof.
    * Server shown as passworded in Server Browser when passworded or locked.
    * Improved functionality of Get In command if player is vehicle commander.
    * Swimming soldiers no longer drop inventory items.
    * Swimming players cannot use Gear dialog.
    * New scripting function "GetPlayerId unit" available to help server admins better recognize teamKillers etc.
    * Fillrate optimization in Video Options is now defined via combo box.
    * Improved light count optimization (should help performance when many distant lights are present).
    * Low-frequency effect (subwoofer) improved.

Art/Environment
    ---------------
    * Changed lighting values for early morning and dusk.
    * Improved wheeled vehicles turning definitions.
    * Utes: Improved carrier deck collision shape and F-35B geometry.
    * Gas stations on map can now refuel nearby vehicles.
    * Minor object fixes on Chernarus map (traffic signs tweaks, small objects).
    * Added small signs to Chernarus map.
    * Less frequent occurence of thunderbolts.
  • Metalfish 20 Jun 2009 11:47:50 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hooray!

Haven't started the campaign yet, so I hope it'll be a bit more stable by the time I get around to it. I'm mostly enjoying tooling around in the armoury with the new toys.
  • Metalfish 20 Jun 2009 11:52:21 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh and did anyone else turn the headbob down a fair whack? A trifle excessive I thought.
  • Res 20 Jun 2009 12:06:35 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone is interested, the 360 controller is fully supported (including menu icon changes). It seems like I wasn't able to hop over fences or lean, but it could be a case where I have to hold down multiple buttons to use those actions. I didn't see an option to switch the y-axis which was rather annoying, but as I only wanted to quickly test it out with vehicles I didn't bother searching through all of the menus for one.
  • FWB 20 Jun 2009 12:11:56 44,529 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why would you use a pad for this?
  • Res 20 Jun 2009 12:16:36 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because the vehicles control like crap with a keyboard and mouse. I have to ability to jump into a vehicle, pick up the control pad then place it back down when I get out.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last