ArmA 2 Page 2

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 4 Jun 2009 10:44:04 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent. Hopefully there will be a patch out at the same time, chatter on the ArmA servers suggests the German version was rushed out to satisfy the publisher.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Jun 2009 10:51:07 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got 4/10 here in the only review I've seen because it's allegedly an unplayable mess.
  • Stickman 4 Jun 2009 10:52:47 29,666 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /cancels pre-order

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Metalfish 4 Jun 2009 10:55:15 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /Keeps pre-order

/Bought ArmA at release

/Had to shoot own team-mates in the head to progress one mission pre-patch
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Jun 2009 11:00:19 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, don't care, still buy it on release day bugs or not.

Gameplay vids on YouTube suggest that the movement is a little smoother this time, less of that weird stuttering, better animations.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Jun 2009 16:40:30 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bugs or not, this is just enormous.
  • magicpanda 12 Jun 2009 17:07:27 13,340 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That first video is amazing.
  • FWB 12 Jun 2009 17:15:13 44,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hehe. Someone didn't have very good air tactics. :) Looks great. Hopefully in the next few years we'll get that with high quality graphics and on console.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2009 18:22:52
    FWB wrote:
    Hehe. Someone didn't have very good air tactics. :) Looks great. Hopefully in the next few years we'll get that with high quality graphics and on console.

If ever a game demanded a keyboard to play, it's this one. I don't see how it would be logistically possible to play properly using a joypad.
  • FWB 12 Jun 2009 18:28:11 44,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I agree and would normally be pro-PC but having moved to a Mac I'm now favouring sitting infront of the TV. Plus Live is great for setting up games.

Next gen (Xbox) consoles will hopefully let you plug a keyboard and mouse.
  • Hunam 12 Jun 2009 18:28:30 20,674 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was a bit put off over ArmA's rather rough edges and extreme hardcore slant, I used to be hardcore back in the OFP days, but I'm not quite got the attention to keep the pace with a lot of them these days, ArmA 2 looks pretty sweet though.
  • Feanor 12 Jun 2009 18:51:13 14,145 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FWB wrote:Next gen (Xbox) consoles will hopefully let you plug a keyboard and mouse.

There's a lot of talk about this generation lasting a lot longer than usual, but I think there will be a new Xbox in 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Half a gig of RAM just isn't going to cut it three years from now.
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 09:14:12 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started playing this last night. It's absolutely gorgeous in places, there's a huge amount of depth and battles are really impressive (the audio is fantastic), but it really is quite buggy and it still has that annoying thing of being shot by an enemy you never see. I haven't played for long, but I've not yet seen a single enemy troop despite being killed several times by enemies who appear to have borrowed the Predator's stealth suit.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 09:22:19 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just wanted to copy over what I wrote in the "End of PC gaming" thread, but the moron has deleted it now.

Yeah, agreed. It oscillates between being absolutely gobsmackingly gorgeous and ugly, OFP-gameplay-at-its-best like and terrible, etc.

Like I said in the deleted thread: Sitting in a heli, being flown to the mission-objective over near photo-realistic terrain, is something special - then the AI pilot usually crashes into a tree.

The AI doesn't have X-ray eyes anymore from my tests, but they spot you (and your teammates the enemies) from a distance that might be realistic, but just doesn't translate well to a game where they're two pixels high and look like trees and grass. Often, i just go prone, and listen to the team and the enemy battling it out.

What's absolutely lovely is the test area thingy (don't know how it's called in English), where you just get dropped down with a soldier, a heli, or whatever you want to test, and can then accept "minigames" - like hunting animals, surviving for a few minutes, etc. - unlocking more things to test.

And there's the "generate missions on the fly" function, which also works a treat. You're just out in the filed, and get radio calls with mission objectives you can accept or not.

It's a great sandbox.

• Whizzo 17 Jun 2009 09:23:55 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Due to reasons of insanity and a fiver off at Play I've got it on order!

The test area/mission generator sounds interesting.

This space left intentionally blank.

• UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 09:25:14 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We really, really, really need to get a few people together to play this online.

One of these days, I'll also buy a micro. :)
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 09:26:14 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the armoury. That's a cool little feature. That's what I've been playing with so far (I tried to start the campaign but the game glitched out and my aiming reticule disappeared).
  • Whizzo 17 Jun 2009 09:26:47 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think that could happen, I do rather miss the old OFP days, some of us were probably playing that almost every night for months.

This space left intentionally blank.

• UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 09:40:10 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What annoys me is the mouselag (hello, WoodenSpoon). There are a few fools claiming it's meant to realistically simulate movement, but that's nonsense - playing the game on low settings (especially turning off shadows) makes you realise the controls are in theory wonderful, but even with a framerate that's perfectly fine to play the damn thing, but not 60 FPS, the controls are always sluggish.
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 09:42:56 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The controls have always felt like that though, ever since OFP. It's actually a huge improvement this time round.
  • LeoliansBro 17 Jun 2009 09:43:48 43,818 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, late to the show. PC only yup?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 09:51:34 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 10:00:26 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    The controls have always felt like that though, ever since OFP. It's actually a huge improvement this time round.

I don't mean the "floating weapon" though - it's off by default now, but you could reduce it to 0 in Arma. The mouselag as such is as bad as it ever was for me.

Wonder if a quadcore would help.

/eyes up Q9650
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 10:05:34 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that's what I was talking about, the mouse lag doesn't seem as bad to me this time.
  • El_MUERkO 17 Jun 2009 10:06:12 16,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    What annoys me is the mouselag (hello, WoodenSpoon). There are a few fools claiming it's meant to realistically simulate movement, but that's nonsense - playing the game on low settings (especially turning off shadows) makes you realise the controls are in theory wonderful, but even with a framerate that's perfectly fine to play the damn thing, but not 60 FPS, the controls are always sluggish.

there's a slider for that, set to zero and gun movement is handled like any other fps
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jun 2009 10:08:23 7,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

there's a slider for that, set to zero and gun movement is handled like any other fps

No, that's the floating zone, that's off by default in ArmA II. The problem is the obvious input lag that's been present in every one of their games, and isn't affected by framerate.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 10:30:08 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    the obvious input lag that's been present in every one of their games, and isn't affected by framerate.

It is, actually. Put the settings on low, and/or turn off shadows completely, and it becomes as responsive as Call of Duty.

I don't know why it needs such a high framerate to avoid mouselag, though. You can play Crysis with barely 25 FPS, and the controls will still be spot on.
  • Metalfish 17 Jun 2009 10:44:26 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    We really, really, really need to get a few people together to play this online.

One of these days, I'll also buy a micro. :)
    When this turns up, I'll be right with you.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2009 10:45:04
    /sticks arms out to side

NNNYYYEAAAOOOOWWWW

dakkadakkadakkda

BRRRREEEEAAAAAOOWWW

/runs about
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2009 10:47:10 35,508 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Framerate is a massive component to input latency. Double or triple buffering also.

But there are engines/games that seem to handle input at lower framerates much better than others. Why is that? That's not doubt, I am genuinely interested. :)

The whole "mousleag at otherwise playbale framerates" issues seems to be a fairly recent thing, in general (5 years maybe).
  • Page

of 35 First / Last