ArmA 2 Page 6

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 20 Jun 2009 20:07:02 35,551 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Make sure your team is inside the heli first - best board it last. Then simply press "M" for the map, and click on the destination. A yellow circle will appear there.

You can change it in-flight, too, but you need to do the whole communication again (call for support, etc.)
  • MrCarrot 20 Jun 2009 20:10:53 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, I think I broke his scripting then; I got in, realised my team weren't following me, so got out to order them on board, then when I got back in myself clicking on the map didn't do anything.
  • PearOfAnguish 20 Jun 2009 20:16:34 7,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a TrackIR, never use it, it's a pain to set up, leaves loads of cables all over the place and makes you look a bit silly, and it doesn't even work that well (or maybe it does and I haven't got the patience to fuck around setting it up).
  • Deleted user 20 June 2009 21:22:24
    Personally found this game to be appalling - essentially a badly upgraded flashpoint with laughable graphics - how any mag gave this good points for the graphics is beyond me!
  • El_MUERkO 20 Jun 2009 21:26:18 17,020 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EverAfter wrote:
    Personally found this game to be appalling - essentially a badly upgraded flashpoint with laughable graphics - how any mag gave this good points for the graphics is beyond me!

i suggest to you that your computer SUCKS ASS!!!
  • Metalfish 20 Jun 2009 21:26:32 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The graphics are incredible to my eyes!

Are you running it at reasonable settings or playing chopped down MP maps? Or trolling?
  • byron_hinson 20 Jun 2009 21:31:48 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah looks excellent to me too love to know what your specs are to make it even seem slightly appalling.
  • MrCarrot 20 Jun 2009 21:33:42 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EverAfter wrote:

Um, if this isn't a troll; have you got the fill-rate/3D resolution set to less than 100%?

With everything set to normal here, it's one of the best looking games I've seen in a lot of respects.
  • Clive_Dunn 20 Jun 2009 21:34:43 4,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spot the person who hasn't worked out how to set the graphics correctly.......

Can't get the chopper to move at all, did what UL said and nowt happens. Grr.
  • Metalfish 20 Jun 2009 23:24:55 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crash chopper course:
    1) go to armoury
    2) select civilian Mi-17 transport chopper thingy
    3) Ensure you are in driving seat
    4) use Q to start the rotors and to increase speed (z to decrease)
    5) steer with mouse and WASD keys.
    6) Crash lots.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Jun 2009 15:12:14 35,551 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just experienced an artillery strike right next to my position, in a forest.

Holy shit. Seriously. One of the scariest things I've seen in a game that's not a scary game as such. :p
  • Ajay 21 Jun 2009 16:40:16 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One or two cracks becoming apparent as I play a bit more. The most serious is how the AI handles foliage, or rather doesn't - nevermind that I'm hidden in thick grass far taller than my prone profile to a degree I can't see anything in front of my nose, the AI can land first round hits when I should be all but invisible to anyone not higher up than me.

I can see this being a problem in multiplayer too - looking at a hillside hundreds of meters away I won't see the grass, yet anyone lying prone will only see a facefull of heather. I recall the same general problem way back in Op Flash.

Armoury's generally good fun, although some of the random challenges are a bit rubbish. Skeet shooting with a rocket launcher and being tasked to defend a position with the chosen mounted weapon facing a wall spring to mind.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Jun 2009 16:49:29 35,551 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ajay wrote:
    The most serious is how the AI handles foliage, or rather doesn't - nevermind that I'm hidden in thick grass far taller than my prone profile to a degree I can't see anything in front of my nose, the AI can land first round hits when I should be all but invisible to anyone not higher up than me.

Yep, it's idiotic, and makes fighting against the AI, especially in forests, far harder than it should be. The way it is right now, I'd prefer if I could turn off vegetation altogether.

FWIW, I do think the AI's vision gets obstructed, but not nearly enough. It's easier to get closer unnoticed through thick grass than on an open field, but it's not nearly enough, especially at shorter distances.

This was worse in ARMA 1 (where the AI in general seemed to have Xray vision), but never fixed, as far as I know - I hope they don't ignore it again.

I can imagine it's not that easy to implement properly, but at the moment it's almost game-breaking.
  • Ajay 21 Jun 2009 17:00:56 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:I can imagine it's not that easy to implement properly, but at the moment it's almost game-breaking.
    Yeah, I've got some sympathy with the difficulty involved in making it convincing, but in this sort of game where being seen first equals death, it just needs to be right.

The first ArmA had even ropier detection rules. I remember sitting behind hedges and trees using det packs against a convoy, and on the occasions they didn't 'see' me straight away (despite not moving at all after detonation) they'd swing their turrets right at me and wait for enough of a movement check - it was clear the AI always knew exactly where you were, and just play-acted around it. ArmA2's not that bad just yet, but it needs serious attention.

Setting the terrain detail to Low seems to nuke most of the vegetation, but it looks so horribly, horribly sterile. I don't know if visible vegetation just 'marks' areas of concelement or genuinely hides you itself, though given the at-range behaviour I suspect the former.
  • Hunam 21 Jun 2009 17:04:47 20,674 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The same thing used to happen in OFP too. Remember the second to last mission, which is the hardest in the game, taking out SCUD missles, you have to get everything to converge at just the right time and fire a rocket at a missle during the chaos. You leg it and hide in a bush and a BMP will just roll right up and stare at you for about 4 in game hours (I put it on super speed and sat there for about 45 minutes just staring back at it) before it moves like an inch and looks the other way for about 9 seconds, in which you just get up and run like a fucking loon.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Jun 2009 17:39:50 12,285 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone ventured online yet?
  • AaronTurner 21 Jun 2009 17:49:41 7,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So then is everyone suggesting that it isn't worth the money at this point?

Also that is something I was wondering about. If you play multiplayer and have vegetation off doesn't that give you a massive advantage?
  • Hunam 21 Jun 2009 18:06:10 20,674 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbh, I never bought Arma, was waiting for it to work and by the time it got a few patches and a lick of polish, the second had been annouced, so I just thought I'd wait for that instead, I can somehow see myself doing the same with this.
  • WrongShui 21 Jun 2009 18:09:11 6,618 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Tbh, I never bought Arma, was waiting for it to work and by the time it got a few patches and a lick of polish, the second had been annouced, so I just thought I'd wait for that instead, I can somehow see myself doing the same with this.

Same happened with me.

So I brought Arma 2 off play to stop it happening.
  • Res 21 Jun 2009 18:09:17 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Also that is something I was wondering about. If you play multiplayer and have vegetation off doesn't that give you a massive advantage?

The terrain detail (grass) option is set server-side.
  • Metalfish 21 Jun 2009 18:09:28 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Anyone ventured online yet?
    Yeah, it's got promise, but the user missions that everyone are playing at the moment are a bit ropey and the connections aren't always that stable.

@Hunam, this is a shed-load more polished than ArmA was 6 months in, and will only continue to get more stable, I'd say if you have an epic PC jump in now.
  • Hunam 21 Jun 2009 18:11:19 20,674 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't have an epic PC, and I don't really have 25, I could scrounge it but, well, I feel I'd just be let down or have my amazing OFP memories tarnished.
  • Metalfish 21 Jun 2009 18:11:37 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In fact, any chance of some EG games? My main problem with the MP is the sheer amount of organisation and maturity required to get the best out of it -it's that last one that peeps are struggling with right now. In ArmA1 it got a lot better as the kiddies got bored and moved on to COD.

EDIT: @Hunam, I'd say wait a little while then, this'll drop in price like a stone, and it'll still be very impressive by the time you get around to it. There was talk of a demo, wasn't there?
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Jun 2009 18:13:24 35,551 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:

Difficult to say. When it all comes together, it can be absolutely awesome, and I am finding it a lot more immersive and atmospheric than ArmA 1 ever was.

I certainly don't regret buying it, but I have a fairly high tolerance for bugs and design inconsistencies when I enjoy the overall experience. There simply isn't anything else quite like it.
  • Hunam 21 Jun 2009 18:15:18 20,674 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm hyper aware and critical of bugs, being it my former job and all.

I can handle a rough game, no problem, I love STALKER et al, but some things just irk me no end.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Jun 2009 18:29:51 12,285 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'm just going to buy; I like playing the Evolution mod on Arma 1 and I'm a bit worried that Arma 2 will be a bit empty without it, but if I put up with Arma 1 bugs this can't be much worse...
  • Ajay 21 Jun 2009 18:53:34 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

Difficult to say. When it all comes together, it can be absolutely awesome, and I am finding it a lot more immersive and atmospheric than ArmA 1 ever was.

I certainly don't regret buying it, but I have a fairly high tolerance for bugs and design inconsistencies when I enjoy the overall experience. There simply isn't anything else quite like it.
    I'd pretty much second everything Lou says here. The original ArmA was in a completely horrible and unfinished state when it first appeared, this by comparison has several rough edges of varying degree. While there's a couple of things that are beginning to grate, I haven't had the urge to pack it all in and forget about it like I had with ArmA 1.

It really is Op Flash 2, for all the things better and worse. ArmA in comparison was an incremental Flashpoint upgrade.
  • MrCarrot 21 Jun 2009 19:21:09 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd echo Ajay and UL. It's in a much better state than ArmA 1 was on release, and the campaign is way more immersive and enjoyable - but it's certainly got its fair share of rough edges; the mission I just started has Razor team being inserted by Osprey, except when it landed, my character spawned lodged half-inside the plane rather than on the ground and got carried 100m up into the air before he fell to his death...
  • Whizzo 21 Jun 2009 19:25:30 43,121 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's certainly quirky in how it acts at times, I'm really enjoying it though.

I'm a bit hacked off the squadmates will still arbitrarily get stuck on nothing and refuse to move, at least you can switch to them and move them yourself.

Oh and I'm getting used to not relying on Maddox's "skills" as a pilot either (I save before I call him up just in case) but I was really impressed with this dust off, well almost.

This space left intentionally blank.

• El_MUERkO 21 Jun 2009 19:38:24 17,020 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sweatshop78 wrote:
    For those who are interested-'Pikey IR':

http://www.cachya.com/esight/overview.php

installed it and could not get it to work so i uninstalled it and now my mouse is borked, the mouse wheel doesn't respond but anything with a scroll bar moves around at random, tried uninstalling drivers but no joy :/

nice one
  • Page

of 35 First / Last