It's flying ant day Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • localnotail 25 Jul 2012 08:00:21 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Officially today according to Radio 4 Today

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• smoothpete 22 Jul 2013 14:34:56 31,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I believe today is the day. Loads of the fuckers outside. Please provide regional reports for verification.
  • spindle9988 22 Jul 2013 14:46:47 3,523 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate those things. There were millions of em in the high street last year. I also had to deal with the biggest flying beetle I have ever seen flying in through the kitchen window the other day. The missus was laughing and crying at the same time when I was trying to get rid of it
  • w00t 22 Jul 2013 14:50:59 11,065 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Small numbers of large wingless ants spotted in Slough and Windsor over the last two days... no fliers yet.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Razz 22 Jul 2013 15:06:25 61,003 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, here in London today, nto many though. IIRC there is a mini one now then then a main one in August.

Edited by Razz at 15:06:34 22-07-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• roz123 22 Jul 2013 15:07:47 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently they cause seagulls to act like they are drunk
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-23374943
  • Dr.Haggard 22 Jul 2013 15:23:14 4,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    no fliers yet
    Ah, so that's how they get the word about.
  • Benno 22 Jul 2013 15:26:01 9,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any sightings up North yet? I've gone and left my damn window open today, I hope its not time already...
  • shamblemonkee 22 Jul 2013 15:35:28 14,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Seagulls-turn-yobbish-getting-drunk-flying-ants/story-19544292-detail/story.html

Seagulls turn yobbish after getting drunk on flying ants.
    By The Bristol Post.

Saturday, July 20, 2013.
    . Follow EXPERTS investigating a rise in seagull attacks claim the birds are lashing out because they are getting drunk on record numbers of flying ants.

Bristol Post readers have contacted the paper to tell us their stories of the problems the gulls cause, including noise nuisance, raiding litter bins and even stealing food from peoplesí hands.

​A new theory explaining an increase in seagull attacks has been found - they are getting drunk on formic acid after gorging on flying ants
    .The city council says it receives hundreds of complaints about gulls while it tries to control the 2,500 breeding pairs.

Now scientists say gulls' behaviour is getting worse because the hot temperatures have seen a massive boom in the insects, which they are feeding on.

The ants then turn to formic acid in their stomachs and act like alcohol - causing the gulls to lose inhibitions around humans and brazenly steal food.

They are left so tipsy the gulls have been seen flying straight into buildings and into the paths of moving cars.

Dr Rebecca Nesbit, an entomologist with the Society of Biology, said the problem is worse this summer because the hot weather is bringing out record numbers of flying ants.

She added: "That isn't so good for the birds - it leaves them a bit drunk."

RSPB spokesman Tony Whitehead added: "Gulls love flying ants and as they come out of the ground the birds will feast on them early in the morning and late in the evening."

Residents in Ilfracombe, Devon, recently reported being swooped on by the animals and assumed they were protecting their nests.

But they sensed something was wrong when the birds started flying into buildings and into the paths of cars.

Motorist Viv Gregory has seen dozens of dead birds this week on the road into Ilfracombe.

She said: "As I started driving up the hill, the seagulls were all over the place, pecking in the road. I've never seen it before. They're in the road and they just don't want to move."
    Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:36:26 22-07-2013
  • Mageme 22 Jul 2013 17:29:07 2,008 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's definitely today; there's a constant stream of them at the bottom of the garden where I'm sure they have an underground empire!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• DaM 22 Jul 2013 18:49:44 12,971 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Any sightings up North yet? I've gone and left my damn window open today, I hope its not time already...
    None in the proper North...we are normally a few days later.

/Glasgow calling
  • RobAnybody 22 Jul 2013 18:56:29 890 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

(from the excellent 1954 movie 'Them!' - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/combined )

Edited by RobAnybody at 18:58:06 22-07-2013
  • Nitrous 22 Jul 2013 22:09:52 362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had lots of ants around the front door a few days ago attempting to swim after I'd poured boiling hot water down the holes in the pavement.

No doubt some survived, will re group and be coming into the house to take revenge...
  • Benno 22 Jul 2013 22:15:32 9,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ones who escaped also managed to survive being submerged in boiling water, who knows what other invulnerabilities they have...
  • smoothpete 29 Jul 2013 09:27:15 31,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/ant-day-declared-a-national-holiday-2013072977239
  • Moto70 8 Aug 2013 12:06:05 18 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Seagulls-turn-yobbish-getting-drunk-flying-ants/story-19544292-detail/story.html

Seagulls turn yobbish after getting drunk on flying ants.
    By The Bristol Post.

Saturday, July 20, 2013.
    . Follow EXPERTS investigating a rise in seagull attacks claim the birds are lashing out because they are getting drunk on record numbers of flying ants.

Bristol Post readers have contacted the paper to tell us their stories of the problems the gulls cause, including noise nuisance, raiding litter bins and even stealing food from peoplesí hands.

​A new theory explaining an increase in seagull attacks has been found - they are getting drunk on formic acid after gorging on flying ants
    .The city council says it receives hundreds of complaints about gulls while it tries to control the 2,500 breeding pairs.

Now scientists say gulls' behaviour is getting worse because the hot temperatures have seen a massive boom in the insects, which they are feeding on.

The ants then turn to formic acid in their stomachs and act like alcohol - causing the gulls to lose inhibitions around humans and brazenly steal food.

They are left so tipsy the gulls have been seen flying straight into buildings and into the paths of moving cars.

Dr Rebecca Nesbit, an entomologist with the Society of Biology, said the problem is worse this summer because the hot weather is bringing out record numbers of flying ants.

She added: "That isn't so good for the birds - it leaves them a bit drunk."

RSPB spokesman Tony Whitehead added: "Gulls love flying ants and as they come out of the ground the birds will feast on them early in the morning and late in the evening."

Residents in Ilfracombe, Devon, recently reported being swooped on by the animals and assumed they were protecting their nests.

But they sensed something was wrong when the birds started flying into buildings and into the paths of cars.

Motorist Viv Gregory has seen dozens of dead birds this week on the road into Ilfracombe.

She said: "As I started driving up the hill, the seagulls were all over the place, pecking in the road. I've never seen it before. They're in the road and they just don't want to move."
    I live in Ilfracombe and the seagulls are a nuisance, they have been getting that 'drunk' on the ants that they have been drowning in the reservoirs as well as getting run over left, right and centre!
  • Megapocalypse 23 Jun 2014 17:00:09 5,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Could be today is FLYING ANT DAY! Loads of them out at the moment; South West London.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Jun 2014 17:11:37 37,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I prefer Tit Monday.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Benno 23 Jun 2014 17:17:47 9,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No sightings up north

/nights watch
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2014 19:09:57 6,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, loads of the things this evening in Central London. Nothing at all on my ride to Brighton this morning thankfully, the winged pricks must have started their march this afternoon.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next