Learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so Page 49

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• MrSensible 11 Jun 2013 20:32:47 25,294 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooo one other thing I forgot: I want to start using my Japanese For Busy People book soon and it starts off with little bits of Katakana, for people's names and whatnot. Do you advise me to learn Katakana first (I only know Hiragana at the moment) or, since it SEEMS to only be names at the beginning, will it be ok to just kind of roll with it?

It's got a Katakana chart in the back, but I'm not sure that'll help me much. In our class we learnt the Hiragana by likening the symbols to other things, such as animals and whatnot. It REALLY helped me learn them.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Jun 2013 04:36:45 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I personally think that if you think you can manage it, you ought to give it a shot. You would be amazed how useful katakana can be. Menues in restaurants, signs, loanwords, it's everywhere. You really can't escape it...

Also, some of the katakana are very similar to their corresponding hiragana, or to kanji with similar sounds, which helps once you start on the kanji, which I recommend you start soon too. Just the first 5 or 10, just to whet your appetite. They're very easy and very interesting.

It's all about balance in the beginning. Don't overwhelm yourself, but at the same time, try to get a little momentum going...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• MrSensible 12 Jun 2013 07:33:09 25,294 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm going for - momentum. I don't want to stop learning, but I'm trying not to over-do things either. I've gone ahead and started learning A, I, U, E, O and the K-series in Katakana. I'll leave it at this for now and perfect these so I don't push everything else out of my head :D
  • boo 21 Jun 2013 11:44:14 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finished year 3 of my evening class last night - a bit of a mind-scrambler, as I've been on holiday, so missed the last two weeks.
    I've seriously considered not going on to year 4, but asking if I can repeat year 3, as over the year (and more so in this last term), I'm really starting to struggle.

In the end, I've decided to go ahead with year 4. Our tutor's encouraging us to take the JLPT 5 exam in December, and to that end, she's running a prep course at City Lit in July - three Tuesday evenings for 2.5 hours with a pile of homework. It sounds like about 80% is going to be revision of things we've done before, and the rest will be new stuff. Kanji etc (we've only just scratched the surface of that). Going to use that as a kickstart for a whole new attitude to studying.

I know that one of my biggest problems is that I simply don't do enough work outside of class, and so it's not surprising that I'm finding it difficult when I'm only doing about 3 hours study a week (including the class). Really need to buck my ideas up there.

One thing might help though - got home and told Mrs Boo that I was finding it tough, and she said that coincidentally, a new guy has joined the company (and her team) this week - he's Japanese, and used to teach Japanese as a foreign language. I'm going to see if he'd be prepared to have a chat for half an hour or so, once a week.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jun 2013 15:18:01 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @boo: N5 is piss simple man, so if you apply yourself you'll pass it for sure. I highly recommend getting your hands on some past papers. If I recall, they only test the first 100 kanji, and it's only their most basic readings.

If you need anything, just ask...

• boo 21 Jun 2013 15:36:33 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers TG - appreciate it.

I'll have a look for some past papers tonight - I'm not sure of the format. Was talking to one of the other students who thought there was a written element, some reading, and you needed to demonstrate both speaking and listening (and understanding) abilities too.

Somebody else thought it was just a multiple choice paper.

I shall do some research.

Kanji's the one thing that I have done a bit of unprompted work on (got a couple of apps for it), but at the moment, I can only recognise the character and know what the English meaning is. I suspect I need to start learning the readings for them. Are both On and Kun required, do you know?

Anyway - I've got some time to figure out out.

Thanks again.

Just Another Lego Blog

• sunjumper 21 Jun 2013 15:45:04 3,235 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have no idea if this is a help for you at this point Boo, but there is a neat little game that teaches you the kana and more importantly tons of kanji in the form of a very lo-fi JRPG called Slime Forest .

As of now it teaches you around 1000 kanji and if all you need to do to pass into the next year is some motivation using a game to practice might help you. There is a free version where you can give it a spin to see if it is useful to you. Despite the way the site looks the game is still being supported.
  • boo 21 Jun 2013 16:28:40 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @sunjumper

Sounds great - I'll have a look tonight. Thanks!

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 10 Jul 2013 22:46:38 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can someone sanity check something for me please?
    I'm doing some prep for a JLPT N5 course, and part of it is a vocab exercise. Most of it has been fine, but I have one sentence which I think I've translated correctly, but can't make sense of it...

さとうさん は いろいろな みちを しって います。

I read that as something like...

"Satou-san knows various streets exist."

Just seems a bit odd, as everything else has been fairly sensible.

Cheers!

Just Another Lego Blog

• IMO 10 Jul 2013 23:01:17 5,725 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Can someone sanity check something for me please?
    I'm doing some prep for a JLPT N5 course, and part of it is a vocab exercise. Most of it has been fine, but I have one sentence which I think I've translated correctly, but can't make sense of it...

さとうさん は いろいろな みちを しって います。

I read that as something like...

"Satou-san knows various streets exist."

Just seems a bit odd, as everything else has been fairly sensible.

Cheers!
    I'd just read that as:

"Satou-san knows [about] various streets."
  • boo 10 Jul 2013 23:19:08 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers, IMO!

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 16 Jul 2013 13:07:10 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hayulp!

Need another bit of advice with some translation - it's the instructions for one of the sections of a JLPT test...

つきの ぶんを よんで しつもんに こたえて ください。 こたえは 1、2、3、4から いちばん いい ものを ひとつ えらんで ください。

There's a pasaage of text which I have to read, then a question and four possible answers. I'm guessing the above says something like 'Read the passage, and choose answer 1, 2, 3 or 4.', but I'd just like to be sure...

Just Another Lego Blog

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 16 Jul 2013 13:32:07 633 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @boo Yep. As you said. Please read the text then choose the best answer.
  • boo 16 Jul 2013 13:36:53 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks very much!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Jul 2013 16:33:07 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, I'm guessing that it says つぎ(次=next/following) and not つき. So, you're taking the test then boo? Good luck man! ^_^

• boo 16 Jul 2013 17:18:22 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, probably...

Just finished year 3 (not full time, just one 90 min lesson a week for three terms), and our tutor has suggested we go for the JLPT N5 test in December.
    To be honest, I've been struggling this last term, so I'll see how it goes.

I've got a prep course for the following three Tuesdays - mock exams etc, and I'm hoping it'll be a good reveiw of the year as much as anything else.

I think the biggest help would be if I did a bit more homework!!!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Jul 2013 17:19:47 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    頑張れ!!!=がんばれ!!!

• boo 23 Jul 2013 14:07:32 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's nice when the penny drops on things. It's also annoying how long it takes, sometimes...

One of the things I've had to study for this JLPT N5 revision course is a sheet of 100 Kanji.

I must have stared at the first page 80, 90, 100 times. And seven on that first page are:

Sun
    Moon
    Fire
    Water
    Tree
    Gold
    Soil

'An odd group' I've thought to myself on more than one occasion.
    It clicked about half an hour ago.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday...

Doh!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 23 Jul 2013 14:13:59 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^_^ Yeah, it's nice when you start seeing the patterns. Like learning that the kanii for rest is the kanji for person leaning against the kanji for tree. It's simple little things like that that really help simplify the kanji-learning process.

I have a question for Jin or any one who might know the answer. How do you say "passive aggressive" in Japanese? I know passive and I know aggressive but I can't figure out what the combo might be in Japanese... -_-

• uiruki 23 Jul 2013 15:16:25 3,726 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wikipedia suggests 受動攻撃性 but I suspect that is jargon. Simple enough combination of words though.
  • boo 23 Oct 2013 22:21:11 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a bit of clarification if someone's got a sec...

The sentence :

ジュビリーライノがながくなりました。

Is, if I recall correctly, "The Jubilee Line got/was made longer".

I can't find the verb (to get longer) on my usual Japanese sites, I'm guessing it's ながる or something like that?

Can someone confirm?

ありがとうございます

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 24 Oct 2013 04:11:19 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, "nagai" is an adjective(long), and "naru" is a verb(get/become), so you combine them like that to say "get longer"... For example:

nagaku narimasu = get long(er)
    mijikaku narimasu = get short(er)
    ookiku narimasu = get big(ger)
    chiisaku narimasu = get small(er)

ジュビリーラインが長く成りました。

Let me know if that makes sense...

• boo 24 Oct 2013 11:13:06 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah! Yes, thanks.

Nagai is in 'i' type verb, so the ending becomes ku, then add narimashita.

Sorry - on a one track 'everything must be a verb' train at the moment.

Cheers, TG!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 24 Oct 2013 11:36:23 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Ah! Yes, thanks.

Nagai is an 'i' type ADJECTIVE, so the ending becomes ku, then add narimashita.

Sorry - on a one track 'everything must be a verb' train at the moment.

Cheers, TG!
    no bother man. And Fixed. :-)

It really is a one track mind. :-D

Edited by Telepathic.Geometry at 11:36:52 24-10-2013

• boo 24 Oct 2013 12:31:21 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doh!

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 30 Oct 2013 21:24:06 11,897 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another cry for help!

As well as the usual week's worth of vocab to look up, we've got a couple of words of what Chika-san calls 'lazy Japanese'. I think it's not quite slang, but maybe common phrases. I'm struggling to find this week's, so does anyone recognise these, please?

まじ (で;)
    せいの (せーの;)

I think the first one might be 'serious' (but only 'might'). Not a clue about the second one though.

Edited by boo at 21:24:20 30-10-2013

Just Another Lego Blog

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Oct 2013 22:45:57 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    マジで=本当に⁉︎(ほんとうに⁈;)

セーの could be what you say when for example you're lifting something with someone, and you wanna lift at the same time. It's like "...on three. 1, 2, 3!" But I'd need to know the context, because you have a few other expressions with "sei no" in them.

• -cerberus- 31 Oct 2013 00:53:21 3,371 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ladies and gentlemen, would you kindly translate this for me?

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Telepathic.Geometry 31 Oct 2013 01:15:57 11,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry if the translation is a little rough and ready. I'm at work...

Nyanpokorin: I reserved a PS4. I'm looking forward to release day. By the way, would I be right in saying that the HDD connection is SATA3? If you're able to tell me, I'd really appreciate it.

Shuhei Yoshida: Thanks very much. I'm really sorry but, I can't tell you that.

Nyanpokorin: I understand. Thanks very much for replying. I'm expecting big things from the games. Please do your best.

Shuhei Yoshida: Thanks very much.

• -cerberus- 31 Oct 2013 08:21:26 3,371 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry Thank you! :) But by saying "I can't tell you that", does he mean he's not allowed or he just doesn't know?

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Page

of 51 First / Last