Learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so Page 45

• Page

of 50 First / Last

• Dirtbox 9 Feb 2012 07:54:52 77,453 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some of you might find this amusing http://inspirationaljapanese.tumblr.com/

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Pirotic Moderator 26 Feb 2012 14:41:03 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apple approved an app update today, so it has a web-browser built into it now. Copy stuff to clipboard, get the definition. Been using the 'Rikai' app up until now but iOS copy and paste is a pain in the ass on links, so I added a button to turn links into plain text which makes things a bit easier.

iTunes linky.

Please give me ideas, suggestions and so forth. I can also generate a few more redeem codes so feel free to PM me if you want one.

Edited by Pirotic at 14:42:12 26-02-2012
  • Cadence 27 Mar 2012 17:53:04 1,676 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just been scratching my head for half an hour over something. Why is it taught, at least in the textbooks I've read, that there are only two irregular verbs. I've just realised that the verb To Go (iku) also must be irregular. The Ta and Te form are different from other Ku verbs. So it's itte and itta, not iite and iita. I wish the textbooks would point this out!

Edited by Cadence at 17:53:51 27-03-2012
  • jakuande 27 Mar 2012 18:13:18 192 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plenty of random irregularities in Japanese, don't worry about the finer points of grammar too much or you'll have a fit once you speak to someone from outside Tokyo.

Just seen that inspirational japanese site : reminds me of the guy I saw at a party wearing a t-shirt that said "watashi wa baka na amerika jin desu" and no he didn't know what it meant. At least it wasn't a tattoo!
  • ilmaestro 28 Mar 2012 02:30:41 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently became iOS5 enable, Piro, so have used your app a little bit. Seems pretty good so far, main thing that I would pay extra for would simply be speed of search.

Edited by ilmaestro at 02:30:50 28-03-2012

• Genji 28 Mar 2012 07:06:18 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jakuande wrote:
    Plenty of random irregularities in Japanese, don't worry about the finer points of grammar too much or you'll have a fit once you speak to someone from outside Tokyo.
    True, but you're going to need grammar if you plan on taking any sort of proficiency test. Knowledge of Kansai-ben and the like doesn't figure at all in that sort of thing.
  • ilmaestro 28 Mar 2012 07:36:03 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or if you plan to read books or newspapers, listen to the news on TV... it would be like suggesting to someone to not learn English grammar because they don't follow all the same rules in South Carolina.

• jakuande 28 Mar 2012 09:55:20 192 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Or if you plan to read books or newspapers, listen to the news on TV... it would be like suggesting to someone to not learn English grammar because they don't follow all the same rules in South Carolina.
    Worrying too much about the finer points of grammar and not bothering to learn it at all are two entirely different things... so no its not.

@Genji

Yes the proficiency tests require pin-point grammar and kanji skills yet have no oral component whatsoever. Pretty much mirroring the Japanese approach to learning English. If you're learning Japanese in order to pass those tests then of course you would have to worry alot about the finer points of grammar. However if you're learning Japanese in order to speak to Japanese people, watch Japanese movies/TV without subs or read books/manga then its not such a critical thing.
  • MrDigital 24 Apr 2012 15:28:53 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do Japanese people need to work extremely long hours? It sounds fantastic to have an economy with such a hard-working workforce, but do they need to work this hard? I look at other places in the world, and I see places where they don't have the extreme working hours that Japan has but still function fine. Take Sweden for example, their workers are definitely amongst the best treated in the world and for their size they have a superb economy.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Pirotic Moderator 28 Apr 2012 17:13:23 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    I recently became iOS5 enable, Piro, so have used your app a little bit. Seems pretty good so far, main thing that I would pay extra for would simply be speed of search.
    Thanks - submitted a big update yesterday which may help, you can search by category now (verb/adj/noun) to filter down the results.

Which phone do you have by the way? I've only been able to test with an iPhone4 and upwards where it gets results in 1-3 seconds and an iPad 1 which is a bit slower..

The reason it's slower is because it does partial searching and wildcards, other apps like 'Japanese' which was my go-to dictionary for ages only let me search using the start or end of a word, so if I only recognized some of the kanji in the middle I was pretty stuck and would have to find the one kanji I knew then search the hundreds of examples to find the word. But now I can just search for '**きる' and it'll find all matching vocab. That was my biggest reason for making my own app so I could sacrifice some of the speed and make it much more useful for learners.
  • Lexx87 28 Apr 2012 17:20:58 20,869 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice work Piro. I won't ever use the app, as I don't intens to learn, but. Good work!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Pirotic Moderator 28 Apr 2012 17:25:10 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers, sorry for hi-jacking the thread a bit ;)
  • ilmaestro 28 Apr 2012 20:36:06 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on a 4S, Piro, but I am (unreasonably, but inevitably) mentally comparing it to the speed of a dedicated electronic dictionary. The actual functionality is definitely good though (I will eventually stop carrying a separate denshijisho with me every day, I think), I look forward to seeing how it runs with the update.

• JinTypeNoir 3 May 2012 02:55:38 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    I've just been scratching my head for half an hour over something. Why is it taught, at least in the textbooks I've read, that there are only two irregular verbs. I've just realised that the verb To Go (iku) also must be irregular. The Ta and Te form are different from other Ku verbs. So it's itte and itta, not iite and iita. I wish the textbooks would point this out!
    Thought I'd come back to this to explain. Not just iku, but its companion verb yuku and aru, as well some weird instances of using the verb tou have some irregularities. But aside from these small exceptions the function the same as their categories. Suru and kuru are extremely different from all the other verbs. It was simply decided when the body of whoever decides how grammar is to be taught thought to categorize them this way, that it became that.

There isn't much of a reason to categorize them under irregular verbs for the purpose of teaching, and if you speak Japanese naturally, it isn't like you need to be conscious of the exceptions.

Also, no matter what accent of Japanese you come to know, they all follow the same basic rules, its just that the actual sounds are different, for instance the well known -haru and -hen verb conjugations for Kyoto and Kansai accents respectively, don't drastically differ in method from conjugating the standard way.
  • senso-ji 20 May 2012 13:34:12 5,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi guys

Great thread, lots of useful stuff in here, so I guess I'll ask my question here:

I'm practicing particles and want to see if the following phrases make sense:

わたしはにひんですひをたべました

わたしはゴジラからにげった

(Apologies for using Kana only, as some people might not recognise the Kanji that gets auto generated when typing)

Am I using the particles correctly? Especially the first sentence’s を ?

The second sentence is a bit of fun but I'm guessing I got it wrong completely.
  • ilmaestro 20 May 2012 18:18:09 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Presuming the first sentence is really meant to be "watashi ha nihon de sushi wo tabemashita", then both are correct (except that it should be "nigeta" at the end of the second sentence, but the particles are all fine).

Edited by ilmaestro at 18:18:51 20-05-2012

• senso-ji 20 May 2012 21:15:44 5,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers. I still need to work on my verb conjugation, but that's not join to be right overnight. So many rules and exceptions.
  • ilmaestro 16 Jun 2012 22:54:23 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    submitted a big update yesterday which may help, you can search by category now (verb/adj/noun) to filter down the results.
    Haven't had a chance to check yet, is this what dropped today?

• Pirotic Moderator 29 Jul 2012 14:16:30 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been a while eh? I've found my motivation to study has really taken a nose dive lately and thought it might be a good time to catch up with everybody and find out how you are all doing. I used to be so motivated but lately, urg. I think consistently getting < 5 hours sleep is probably the cause of it.

Anyhow - how are you guys all getting on? would be great to get a 'years studied vs stuff achieved' from all of you to find out where you are.

Hopefully you're doing a bit better than I, after a year or so of making great progress the apathy kicked in - so it's been about 4 years now and while I can read and listen to quite a lot and understand enough of it, when I try to tread out of familiar territory (aka not playing JRPGs) I feel like a complete newbie again, picked up a few adult newspapers to have a go at and bloody hell - it still looks as alien to me now as it did 4 years ago. The most frustrating thing for me is, knowing everything - as in I recognise all the kanji, all the vocab - yet have no idea what it's saying. It's like "I should know this" yet my brain just isn't wired up correctly to process it.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Aug 2012 03:44:08 11,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi guys, long time no see. Glad to see this thread is as lively as ever. Piro, you must be well able to speak Japanese by now. :)

Anyway, does anyone know of a decent and regular Japanese podcast? I'm looking for something to listen to for about five hours a week. Maybe even an audio-book or a gaming podcast might be cool. Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers, TG.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ffeeco 3 Aug 2012 05:49:11 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Hi guys

Great thread, lots of useful stuff in here, so I guess I'll ask my question here:

I'm practicing particles and want to see if the following phrases make sense:

わたしはにひんですひをたべました

わたしはゴジラからにげった

(Apologies for using Kana only, as some people might not recognise the Kanji that gets auto generated when typing)

Am I using the particles correctly? Especially the first sentence’s を ?

The second sentence is a bit of fun but I'm guessing I got it wrong completely.
    Hi~ :D
    I'm no expert in Japanese but I've attended a school where I learned up to a certain level of Japanese.

First, I think there should be more practice in writing Hiragana :)
    In romaji, what is written is; "watashi wa nihin de suhi wo tabemashita."
    I think you were supposed to say "nihon" (にほん;) and "すし" instead of 'nihin' and 'suhi'? In English, I think your sentence is "I ate sushi in Japan", yes? But don't worry, your use of the particles で and を is correct. :D

Same goes with the second sentence on the hiragana. にげった in romaji is 'nigetta'. From the verb "にげます" (nigemasu, "to escape/run away"), the conjugation should just be "にげた", without the small っ. :)
    "I ran away from Godzilla", yes? XD
    The "から" particle is initially used for places. As you learn more particles and sentence patterns later on, you'll learn a more appropriate particle to attach to Godzilla instead of 'kara'. But using 'kara' for now can be acceptable.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Aug 2012 20:19:18 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Hi guys, long time no see. Glad to see this thread is as lively as ever. Piro, you must be well able to speak Japanese by now. :)

Anyway, does anyone know of a decent and regular Japanese podcast? I'm looking for something to listen to for about five hours a week. Maybe even an audio-book or a gaming podcast might be cool. Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers, TG.
    JapanesePod101 is brilliant, it's quite expensive but. well. The most expensive subscription comes with a full postcast feed where you can download 4 years worth of podcasts, so you only need to subscribe for the first 30 days then you'll be busy for years with the old content.

As for my Japanese, it's still a bit iffy to be honest. But I'm getting there.

Edited by Pirotic at 20:20:00 04-08-2012
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Aug 2012 07:59:49 11,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers Piro, I'll give that a shot, appreciate the reply. Might have to hook my TV up and start watching the news or something. Anime will only get you so far...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 50 First / Last