Learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so Page 43

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• ilmaestro 30 Jun 2011 02:24:38 32,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another regular way to refer to specific kanji (if their kun-yomi is not very unique) is "[common word with kanji in] no [part of the word that is made up by the kanji]".

A bit like using the phonetic alphabet in English, but... er... less succinct.

Pirotic wrote:
    denki jishou
    denshijisho

And am I take it none of you see the gadgetry appeal of spending most of the price of an iPad on a standalone one?! They're awesome things! They even come with their own touchscreen/handwriting recognition once you get into the right price range.

• Articulate-Troll 30 Jun 2011 04:32:35 3,101 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    かんじがだいきらいです!
  • IMO 30 Jun 2011 05:10:55 5,749 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a real love/hate relationship with them. A right pain in the arse to learn but once you do, it's so much faster to read (and understand) sentences than just hiragana/katakana.
  • Articulate-Troll 30 Jun 2011 05:36:16 3,101 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some kanji's simple because it looks like the word it represents, Shin and U being good examples, but a lot of the more advanced kanji's just a cluster fuck of densely packed strokes. I honestly believe Japan would have been better off ditching Kanji a long time ago and just using Kana. Worked for Korea.

The fact that it takes 6 years of education to learn just half of the most common Kanji says a lot about the accessibility of Kanji.
  • ilmaestro 30 Jun 2011 07:05:46 32,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, in Japanese, I guess you just live up to half of your name. ;)

• Pirotic Moderator 30 Jun 2011 07:48:29 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:
    denki jishou
    denshijisho

Ohhh... 勉強になりました!
  • Genji 30 Jun 2011 08:23:08 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find kanji endlessly fascinating. I imagine I'd hate studying them if they didn't interest me so much.
  • boo 30 Jun 2011 08:47:19 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    The most useful kanji learning thing for me has been on the DS.

Is that the 'My Japanese' cart? I've got that, but never really got past the 'whack-a-mole' games for learning vocab. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Genji 30 Jun 2011 08:53:34 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    The most useful kanji learning thing for me has been on the DS.

Is that the 'My Japanese' cart? I've got that, but never really got past the 'whack-a-mole' games for learning vocab. Maybe I'll give it another go.
    My Japanese Coach or whatever? I tried that for a while, but it was very low-tech. And in order to get to lessons and vocab that might have actually been useful to me, I had to go through dozens of lessons of baby Japanese! It was clearly designed with beginners in mind. :(

The one I have is called "Nazotte, Oboete: Otona no Kanji Renshuu", which is basically a series of customizable tests based on the Japanese readings. I have to use it in conjunction with a Japanese-English dictionary, though. Which is a little inconvenient.
  • boo 11 Jul 2011 08:56:35 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To help with your vocab, there's a young lady who posts on youtube, with her series 'Japanese Word Of The Week'.

Here's one example.

And another.

I'm sure there's some sort of theme to them, but I can't put my finger on it...

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 26 Sep 2011 21:23:18 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi. Anybody out there for a bit of translation confirmation? Got a page of text to translate, with a fair few new words, so a second opinion would be welcome.

I'm working through this a sentence at a time...

Watashi wa ni toshi no sangatsu ni hajimete okinawa e ikimashita.

Which I think is...

In March, I went to Okinawa for the first time.

I'm a bit puzzled by the 'ni toshi' bit, unless it's 'I went to the town of Okinawa'.

Back with more in a bit.

Another bit that seems a bit odd...

Oosaka ra fune de i ikimashita.

That's going to be something like 'I went to Osaka by boat', but the 'ra' and 'I' are baffing me. It's possible that the ra is actually tacked on to the end of oosaka.

Just Another Lego Blog

• IMO 26 Sep 2011 21:34:35 5,749 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Hi. Anybody out there for a bit of translation confirmation? Got a page of text to translate, with a fair few new words, so a second opinion would be welcome.

I'm working through this a sentence at a time...

Watashi wa ni toshi no sangatsu ni hajimete okinawa e ikimashita.

Which I think is...

In March, I went to Okinawa for the first time.

I'm a bit puzzled by the 'ni toshi' bit, unless it's 'I went to the town of Okinawa'.

Back with more in a bit.

Are you sure it's "ni toshi" and not "kotoshi"?

• boo 26 Sep 2011 21:36:51 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doh!

Yup - Kotoshi. Can't read! Thanks!

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 26 Sep 2011 21:41:53 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Next sentence reads:

45 ji kan kakarimashita.

That must be something like '45xxx was expensive', but kan isn't a counter. I understand it to be 'sen', then from 10,000 it's 'man', and then (I think), 'oku'.

Just Another Lego Blog

• JinTypeNoir 26 Sep 2011 21:50:06 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "It took forty five hours."
  • JinTypeNoir 26 Sep 2011 21:50:09 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • boo 26 Sep 2011 21:58:55 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok. Thanks JTN. I've not come across that phrase before. Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 26 Sep 2011 22:01:56 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So the next bit (I can do some of this by myself, honest!), reads:

Sore kara shuukan ryokou shimashita.

Would that be something like 'It's a weekly trip', or 'It goes once a week'?

Just Another Lego Blog

• JinTypeNoir 26 Sep 2011 22:29:18 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you its not isshuukan or shuugaku? If it is shuukan, I would think the author meant to write isshuukan and didn't, which means they "traveled for one week."
  • boo 26 Sep 2011 22:35:10 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, there's a great big '1' in there!

So it's 'Sore kara 1 shuukan ryokou shimashita.'

I'll take it that that would be, as you say, travelled for 1 week.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 27 Sep 2011 18:43:33 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello again!

Does the following make any sense?

Shokai shite kudasai.

I'm assuming the first two words are separate. If they are, then it appears to mean
    'first time hero please'

I have an inkling that it's not...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Pirotic Moderator 27 Sep 2011 19:01:11 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    please try once.

(I think, not heard 'shokai' before but that's my guesstimate based off a few possible kanji combinations I tried)
  • ilmaestro 27 Sep 2011 20:28:16 32,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suspect it's supposed to be "shoukai", introduce.

ie. please introduce [me to them etc].

• boo 27 Sep 2011 23:36:18 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I asked in class tonight - ilmaestro shoots, ilmaestro scores!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Pirotic Moderator 2 Oct 2011 14:10:28 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    D'oh - on my way to work I for some reason remembered this and thought the same thing, but forgot to come back and post. Sorry.

It's also used quite a lot as..

自己紹介
    じこしょうかい
    self-introduction
  • Hog-lumps 5 Oct 2011 17:30:24 947 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So just about to head off to my first japanese language evening class tonight. Wish me luck, I expect I might end up on this thread for some tips in the future! :)

Excited by the prospect - I just hope my aging brain can cope learning a new language.

• siro 5 Oct 2011 22:25:43 1,829 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck Hog-lumps, enjoy the kanji ride. :)
  • boo 5 Oct 2011 22:41:43 11,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hope you enjoyed it Hog-lumps!
    I've just started my second year of evening classes, and I love it. I've learned more Japanese by having a 90 minute lesson once a week, than I ever did with hours and hours of French at school.

The people in this thread are a great help - I've asked plenty of times, and they always come up trumps.

Where are you studying, and how did you get on?

Once you've settled down, come back and people will start recommending no end of books!
    And apps!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Pirotic Moderator 5 Oct 2011 22:45:26 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hehe, another older learner huh? Welcome to the club. Just remember, you only fail if you give up. がんばって!
  • Hog-lumps 5 Oct 2011 23:58:27 947 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Konbanwa, thanks for the words of encouragement!

Made it through my first lesson - it was a lot of fun although there's so much to take in at first that its quite daunting! Hopefully the confidence will grow with practice.

Its a 2 hr long evening class at city of Bristol College once a week. I'm taking the course with my girlfriend as we plan to go to Japan for our honeymoon - we both love Japanese culture and just want to learn more about Japan and its language.

Much to my delight (and my girlfriends amusement lol) the Sensei is a cute Japanese girl :) As she's a native speaker it feels as if were getting the proper pronunciation of the dialect. Although one problem I've found is she has quite a high pitch voice that I keep trying to imitate when I speak the words that we repeat back - I expect I'd sound quite camp to a Japanese ear at the moment lol!!

The advantage of learning with my other half is we both have someone to practice with - we both said itadaki masu before eating tea tonight!

I was hoping she would recommend some text books, but didn't. So any recommendations for a basic introduction to Japanese language would be most appreciated. I'll read back through the some of this thread when I have time, as I expect there has already been a few suggestions.

Regarding kanji, she has started by teaching katakana - I'm not sure if she'll move onto kanji later in the course or not?

Anyway, first impressions are great and I'm glad we signed up. Thanks again for the positive comments!

Oyasumi nasai.
  • Page

of 51 First / Last