Play from Xbox 360 Hard drive!

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • oceanmotion 14 Jul 2008 22:33:54 15,801 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From Major Nelson

Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

Access Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web. Browse and purchase Marketplace content whenever you want from Xbox.com and it downloads automatically to your console. Purchase that new map, television episode, the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade game or set up a movie to watch when you get home from work.

Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, its not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.

Xbox LIVE Primetime. This whole new category of games is going to give you more reasons to get online with your friends. Games will support everything youd expect, like Achievements and leader boards, but many of these games will include real prizes. You can invite your friends, and even set a reminder for an upcoming show. Each game is broadcast simultaneously, so everyone is answering the same questions. Many events will have a live host, calling the shots as they happen.

Avatars. Your online identity started as a Gamertag - it then grew into a personalized Gamercard. Now, it has evolved even further into avatars. You can express your style, check out new outfits and share this with the community. Avatars will also be integrated into Xbox LIVE Arcade games, LIVE Party, as well as retail games.

New display support. Because you asked for it, we are adding 16X10 over VGA or HDMI, and support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050.
  • Psychotext 14 Jul 2008 22:36:34 53,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's way too many threads going on. \o/
  • Trowel 14 Jul 2008 22:38:09 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm grateful of too many threads - it's the subject that grabs me, and this one's got me by the balls. Could this be the gate opening a crack more to the modding scene?
  • LetsGo 14 Jul 2008 22:40:05 5,184 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You do know you need the disc in the drive still?
  • Khanivor 14 Jul 2008 22:40:45 40,520 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Play from the hard drive sounds very good. Nips in the bud the main major problem with the 360, drive noise. Not an optimal solution but considering it's free, a pleasant one.

The party idea sounds good, but I'm even more interested in Netflix. Going to be a good way of decreasing movie piracy imo, at least amongst 360 owners with BB :)
  • Khanivor 14 Jul 2008 22:41:10 40,520 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:

Eh, so fucking what?
  • LetsGo 14 Jul 2008 22:42:50 5,184 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Eh, so fucking what?

Kinda stops the point of having the on the hard drive? (apart from a second or two off the load time im guessing)
  • Trowel 14 Jul 2008 22:44:08 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Eh, so fucking what?

Kinda stops the point of having the on the hard drive? (apart from a second or two off the load time im guessing)
    But surely that'll just be for some kosher rights mangement check or what-not. I assume the nuts and bolts will be on the HDD, which opens the potential for kit imports for Pro Evo and the like.
  • Khanivor 14 Jul 2008 22:49:24 40,520 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Eh, so fucking what?

And, er, no drive noise, which is one of the things you Sony fanbois get hard talking about.
  • morriss 14 Jul 2008 22:55:04 70,928 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll make the 360 dead fucking silent and that's got to be a bonus. Still it's optional but if you know you're going to be playing a game for days and days, the install will most likely be worth the wait.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2008 22:56:17
    And it will finally put my 120HD to use.
  • Gaol 14 Jul 2008 22:58:07 2,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are these the same people that have spent months moaning about PS3 installs? :p
  • Gaol 14 Jul 2008 23:03:00 2,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Frod

Oh its unquestionably a good thing, as are most of these announcements; just aware of how fickle some people can be. We've had months of folk yabbering on that installs on a console are a bad thing per se.
  • Carrybagma 14 Jul 2008 23:03:57 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And I thought I'd make do with 20GB. :o(
  • Psychotext 14 Jul 2008 23:04:06 53,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    We've had months of folk yabbering on that installs on a console are a bad thing per se.
    If they're mandatory just to get the load times to equal that of a competitor's console? yeah, they're a bad thing.

Optional installs have always been full of win. Full installs? Even better.
  • Carlo 14 Jul 2008 23:05:49 17,994 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.
    OLD.

I've been doing this on the PC for AAAAAGGGGEEESSSS!

/LOLS

PSN ID: Djini

• absolutezero 14 Jul 2008 23:06:10 7,956 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder how good the security is going to be.
  • Carlo 14 Jul 2008 23:06:35 17,994 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    OLD!!!!

nocdpatch been on the PC for AAAGGGEESSS

/LOLS

PSN ID: Djini

• anonim1979 14 Jul 2008 23:11:14 2 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wonga wrote:
    Are they trying to butter us up for hard drive installs.. like when they bring out the blu-ray 360, they'll say... older 360 owners can still play the games with HDD install.

"Play from hard drive. ***Copy*** your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game."

Do you know difference between COPY and INSTALL ?

It is NOT INSTALL of any kind - not full instal - nor partial install.

Completly optional - you will be able to:
    ***COPY WHOLE GAME TO HDD - LIKE Playing from ISO on PC***

And it will copy whole DVD in 4-5 minutes top - on 12x drive in X360 unlike those (fortunately rare) 20 minutes PS3 installs.

Anybody who even once played from ISOs on PC will tell you how usefull it is.

And making it ISO copy will make it completly backward COMPATIBLE with ALL X360 games.
  • morriss 14 Jul 2008 23:12:07 70,928 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Two completely different things tho, innit.

On the PS3 you 'have' to install it just to play it and the loading times can still take a while

So I don't really get the correlation.
  • Aretak 14 Jul 2008 23:20:58 10,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Gaol wrote:
    Two completely different things tho, innit.

On the PS3 you 'have' to install it just to play it and the loading times can still take a while

So I don't really get the correlation.
    It's just trying to make an issue out of nothing. I've not seen a single post saying that installs are a bad thing outright. What's complained about is installs which are mandatory, something which doesn't apply here.
  • brainbird 14 Jul 2008 23:22:37 2,214 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HD copy would only serve me if there were no need to keep the disc in the drive. But if you have to leave the original game disc in the drive, then it's of no use for me. I hoped to store away those discs and have the same convenience of picking a game from the HD as I have with XBLA.
    The noise is a problem Microsoft should solve with a hardware revision, I think.
  • morriss 14 Jul 2008 23:22:47 70,928 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    innit.

Anyway, won't this make playing hacked games much easier? I mean, how difficult will it be to download some kind of crack onto a DVD-R after you've DL'ed the game and copied it to your HDD via your PC?
  • Trowel 14 Jul 2008 23:27:29 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Anyway, won't this make playing hacked games much easier? I mean, how difficult will it be to download some kind of crack onto a DVD-R after you've DL'ed the game and copied it to your HDD via your PC?
    Wish I'd thought of that Batman.
  • morriss 14 Jul 2008 23:30:02 70,928 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems to be open to abuse. MS must know that they can't beat the internet. No-one can.
  • Feanor 14 Jul 2008 23:47:12 14,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gamecopyworld will have 360 no dvd cracks up pretty soon, I think.
  • Psychotext 14 Jul 2008 23:47:33 53,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Seems to be open to abuse. MS must know that they can't beat the internet. No-one can.
    To use the function you'll have to update your dashboard... updating your dashboard on a dvd hacked 360 is a risky business.
  • LetsGo 14 Jul 2008 23:48:56 5,184 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Eh, so fucking what?

And, er, no drive noise, which is one of the things you Sony fanbois get hard talking about.

Us sony fanboys? Err ok?!?

Anyway, how about MS just fix the fact that its louder than a lawnmower?
  • Feanor 15 Jul 2008 00:00:46 14,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Slightly OT, but...

Will running your Xbox games at the new, higher resolutions lower the framerate like it would on a PC game if you went from 1080 * 720 to 1680 * 1050?
  • Psychotext 15 Jul 2008 00:02:20 53,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Anyway, how about MS just fix the fact that its louder than a lawnmower?
    12x drive. There's f'all they can do about it.

The one in my elite is actually quieter than the ones in my PC and media server (yes, I tested them... I'm sad) but we don't generally run those at 12x continuously so it's not the sort of thing we'd pick up on.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous