Coffee drinkers appreciation thread! Page 2

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• cubbymoore 14 Jul 2008 11:49:45 36,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just use a a mug with a built in cafetierre, and arabica coffee from Lidl.
  • brokenkey 14 Jul 2008 11:57:00 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I fly to Kenya to buy my coffee, from here:
    http://nairobijavahouse.com/

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• brokenkey 14 Jul 2008 11:57:57 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shinji wrote:

Coffee, Cake & Kink over on Endell Street uses Monmouth beans, and do some of the nicest iced coffees in London (tall glasses full of coffee ice pieces, with fresh hot coffee poured over them at your table).

The kink's not bad either

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• twelveways 14 Jul 2008 12:18:39 4,117 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here in central China we have a chain of coffee houses called SPR (SPR is meaning SPRING! as the posters tell me...) and they do the nicest coffee I have ever had on the high street.

Apparently McDonalds got voted best high street coffee in America recently, I wouldn't know though as I havent been inside a Maccy Ds for about 15 years.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 14 Jul 2008 12:59:08 12,752 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good to see there are tasteful people still in EG ;) I made a fraudulent slip in my original in my post and wrote less better!

Mr Harvest's recommendation sounds lovely, I think I'll order some of that! There's so many variations though that when I decide to get a new bean I realise I've 50 odd cups of the current stock first!

The Monmouth Coffee shop might do mail order, is it worth nagging them? Any particular bean recommended? I'm sure I can talk them into sending a sample ;)
  • pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 13:25:43 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /wonders how many people contributing to this thread really just use a furred-up kettle and a jar of Blend 37, and coffee mate at work...
  • cubbymoore 14 Jul 2008 13:27:49 36,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is coffee mate any good? I'm always scared by the box.
  • pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 13:28:41 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No idea. I just grab these weird little packs of coffee creamer for work (it's pointless bringing milk in because some fucker always steals it, even if I put green food colouring in it).

• kalel 14 Jul 2008 13:30:04 89,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    You're not really supposed to clean them anyway tbh.
    You sure are. The rubber seal needs replacing every now and then, and the metal filter gets clogged. I was told by Bialetti to fillit with half water, half lemon juice and run it through on the stove. It worked.

To be clear, obviously you should give it a rinse and let it air dry after use, but you certainly shouldn’t be cleaning it with any products or chemicals. Not heard the lemon thing before but if they say so it might be a good idea.

In my experience they do just go a bit yucky after a while whatever you do. They’re not so great when they’re brand new either. They tend to peak after a few months’ use, and start to go downhill after about a year.
  • mouse Moderator 14 Jul 2008 13:30:56 10,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite like CoffeeMate actually, it's no bad. Depends how much of a purist you are I guess.
  • chopsen 14 Jul 2008 13:33:15 16,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Used coffeemate qute a lot as a student. But then I ate/drank a lot of stuff as a student that I wouldn't touch by remote control now.

Unless I go camping.
  • BanjoMan 14 Jul 2008 13:33:45 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    it might be a good idea
    It was a great idea! My six-cup was really clogged and wasn't filtering through properly. The lemon juice technique sorted it right out.

In my experience these percolators last for years, you just need to replace the seal now and then.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Pooley 14 Jul 2008 13:35:09 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had some coffee from this place, James' Gourmet Coffee, it's based not far from me in Ross-on-Wye. I've tried a few of the ground beans they sell, and can recommend the Formula 6 Espresso, strong, creamy and chocolately, and the Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira, which is very strong and creamy.

I either use a Bialetti Mokka Express, or my new toy the Bialetti Brikka. Both stove tops. The Mokka makes my normal morning coffee, and the Brikka makes a very good espresso, with plenty of crema.

I saw a film a while ago about the Ethiopian coffee trade, Black Gold, and I've been meaning to try the Ethiopean coffees since then. Must get round to ordering some.
  • mrharvest 14 Jul 2008 13:52:06 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    I saw a film a while ago about the Ethiopian coffee trade, Black Gold, and I've been meaning to try the Ethiopean coffees since then. Must get round to ordering some.
    Ethiopian Yirgacheffe has been a long time favourite of mine. It's for a fraction of the price some of the best rated beans go, but it's imo even more interesting. Unfortunately there's quite a bit of variation in the quality season-to-season.
  • bloke 14 Jul 2008 14:03:30 1,489 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After our ace Krups expresso machne died after 4 years of fairly heavy use, we decided to splash out on this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230473032/Product.aspx

Apart from being phenominally noisy while it's working - it gets a big thumbs up from me.
  • Bloodloss 14 Jul 2008 14:05:10 4,499 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think CoffeeMate is brilliant. Makes it very nice and creamy. But that's probably because I'm not a crazy coffee enthusiast.
  • pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 14:06:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least no one's tried to bullshit that they exclusively drink that catshit coffee.

• pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 14:07:34 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Used coffeemate qute a lot as a student. But then I ate/drank a lot of stuff as a student that I wouldn't touch by remote control now.

Unless I go camping.

Why does your post make me think you used to chop a few lines out of it and snort it :)
  • chopsen 14 Jul 2008 14:24:49 16,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I used to do Coffeemate. All that stuff in the press is just people who don't know what they're doing, or using stuff that's been cut with something else. Wouldn't touch creamer cartons tho, that's some mental shit. I once saw a man eat his own face after using one of them.
  • BanjoMan 14 Jul 2008 14:57:32 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    ...bullshit... catshit
    What a load of horseshit.

• cubbymoore 14 Jul 2008 15:26:57 36,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to give coffee mate a go then. My cafetierre mug takes too long to make a coffee.
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 15:38:28 14,566 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Civet shit innit?

Hey hold on when i was a barrista/coffee dude 18 years ago i was allowed to try some super expensive goat shit digested coffee... don't tell me i actually drank hot goat shit! I don't remember them laughing, they were drinking it too mind.

Plubs

• BanjoMan 14 Jul 2008 15:39:10 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    At least no one's tried to bullshit that they exclusively drink that catshit coffee.

Don't tell me that stuff has to come from a specific type of cat!?

I've just been spooning Kenco into the next door cat's gob and steeping it's turds. /o\
    So this definitely doesn't work with dogs?

• BravoGolf Moderator 14 Jul 2008 17:18:27 12,752 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    I've had some coffee from this place, James' Gourmet Coffee, it's based not far from me in Ross-on-Wye. I've tried a few of the ground beans they sell, and can recommend the Formula 6 Espresso, strong, creamy and chocolately, and the Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira, which is very strong and creamy.

Good site, thanks. There's an Ethiopian coffe on that site here, I might order some too.

Here's a question, how long do beans stay fresh for? Can I buy them now and drink in a month?
  • mrharvest 14 Jul 2008 17:31:02 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Here's a question, how long do beans stay fresh for? Can I buy them now and drink in a month?
    Month should be fine as long as you seal the bag properly between uses. You might notice some deterioration towards the end, but nothing as bad as with pre-ground coffee.

If you take longer you might consider freezing some of the beans in a separate bag.
  • Pooley 14 Jul 2008 17:55:03 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:

Yep, roasted beans are good for a month, ground beans are good for a couple of days only. Like Mr. H. says.

I've got a Vacuvin, think thats the name of it, to store my coffee. Uses the same vacuum pump that the wine stoppers use to remove the air from the storage jar. Helps to keep the ground coffee fresh.

I also store all my coffee in the freezer. Seems pedantic I know, but there's nothing like fresh ground coffee and it's a shame it doesn't stay fresh for long.

I'm pretty lucky that my local grocer uses Monmouth Coffee Company beans, and grinds them while you wait. I will order some from James' Gourmet soon though, their Formula 6 grind is damn addictive!
  • Pooley 14 Jul 2008 18:01:08 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Incidentally, a mate of mine is over in Rwanda at the moment and I've asked him to bring a selection of the local coffees back with him. Apparently, the guy he's gone to see about possibly working over there has a brother who runs the local farmers co-op for coffee.

Should be an interesting selection, I hope.
  • francesca45 17 Jul 2008 00:49:20 1 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just to add to the all-round coffee appreciation, I read recently that coffee can be beneficial for your heart - as well as drinking red wine on a regular basis, and other food and drinks that are high in flavonols (antioxidants).
    So big up for coffee and coffee drinkers!
    There's a bit more info on the studies done into the potential of coffee here...
    http://www.foodeu.com/articles/Coffee+Thought+To+Be+Heart+Healthy.aspx

• freaxgamer 17 Jul 2008 00:50:11 1,604 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ASDA's Rocket Fuel is a good wakey wakey coffee
  • Page

of 11 First / Last