of 11 First / Last

• shinytoys 26 Jan 2010 22:59:03 12 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i must drink like 4 cups of cappuccino a day - i am addicted to this stuff
  • Dr.Haggard 21 Apr 2010 12:50:31 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're reading this Tonka sorry for the insensitive bump, your thread just reminded me of something :)

Something's bugging me, I can't make a good flat white. Anyone got any suggestions for getting the milk texture just right (with a frother, not steam)?
  • BanjoMan 21 Apr 2010 12:55:12 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Warm the milk, but not too hot. Froth it for about 20 seconds, then stir it and leave it to settle for a minute or two. That way the big bubbles will burst, you'll be left with finer bubbles only.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Dr.Haggard 21 Apr 2010 13:02:07 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hm, hadn't thought of leaving it to stand for a minute - of all the methods I've read that's not been suggested once, but none of the others have worked for me. I'll give it a try!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Apr 2010 13:03:13 12,740 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you using a steamer? It's a bit of a knack to get the milk just right but to get big bubbles out just bang the jug a few times.
  • Tonka 21 Apr 2010 13:11:40 20,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BAAAHHHH!!!

/fingers in ears
    /lalalalala

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dr.Haggard 21 Apr 2010 13:17:23 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Are you using a steamer? It's a bit of a knack to get the milk just right but to get big bubbles out just bang the jug a few times.
    Nope, little electric frother thingy. Some people suggest holding the foam back while pouring, but I always find the milk underneath is still too thin. Others suggest folding in the foam either while frothing or pouring, but it's always too frothy and I end up with a cappuccino.

I suspect my problem is more to do with the temperature of the milk and/or the frothing technique. I'll do some more experimenting tonight.
  • BanjoMan 21 Apr 2010 13:30:35 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Milk's probably too hot.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• BravoGolf Moderator 7 Jan 2012 19:04:58 12,740 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone know where I could purchase nice vanilla chai to mix in with a latte?
  • janos 7 Jan 2012 19:36:30 190 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might as well make use of the handy bump this thread got: anyone got any opinions on that AeroPress kind-of-like-a-french-press-but-not-really thingie? I have a standard old coffeemaker that makes perfectly OK coffee but I yearn for espresso. I don't really like the espressos made by most of the cheap home espresso makers (my guess is not enough pressure), but there's no way in hell I'm paying ~2000 for a proper one. That thingy Otto linked to looks intriguing as well.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2012 19:39:45
    I've had variable results from my aeropress but not sure some of that's not down to my coffee getting stale

some of the coffee I've had has been stellar, some a bit duff. definitely worth a try, especially if it's still 20 like it was when I picked it up

that reminds me, might bust it out tomorrow again
  • angeltreats 7 Jan 2012 22:39:10 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Santa brought me an Aeropress. I have it at work, because the choice there is either instant Gold Blend or manky espresso from the machine.

What it makes isn't truly espresso - no crema for starters - but it's definitely drinkable as a short shot. Lovely strong coffee, it seems to wring all the flavour out of the grounds but with absolutely no bitterness. And topped up with hot water and a dash of milk it makes a lovely Americano. It's also very quick and faff-less to use and easy to clean.

I have a stovetop pot, cafetieres, filter machine and Nespresso machine. I love the espresso from the Nespresso machine, but it beats all the rest of them hands down. I'm thinking about buying another one for home and getting rid of the filter machine and cafetieres. Would recommend it very highly indeed.
  • Nasty 10 Feb 2012 15:43:07 4,741 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZING!
  • Buztafen 10 Feb 2012 15:47:43 16,075 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm loving the free limescale that comes from my works hot water tap. Add's a lovely crunch to an otherwise mediocre coffee...
  • Razz 10 Feb 2012 16:03:40 60,789 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone heard of this company that sends out a jar of fine coffee every month for a year, like a subscription. The selections are random but you et really really good coffee. Much like a wine club.
    I overheard someone talking about it earlier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Mr-Brett 10 Feb 2012 16:06:08 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://hasbean.co.uk/

Look under subscription. I got a selection of random coffee from them a week ago, a little more expense than shop stuff but very tasty.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Razz 10 Feb 2012 16:10:58 60,789 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're a legend, cheers matey poo

• DaM 10 Feb 2012 16:27:08 12,905 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    ZING!
    "The responsible coffee company with an irresponsible product. Try at your own RISK!"

I like the sound of this stuff!
  • Razz 10 Feb 2012 16:35:26 60,789 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely worth a novelty birthday gift

• Razz 10 Feb 2012 16:46:35 60,789 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or you could take up a coke habit, might be less harmful.

• Folant 19 Nov 2012 00:13:59 1,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmmm

Thinking of getting a coffee machine.(Espresso, Capchino, etc.), but don't really want to spend too much on a machine, being quite poor, and rather not spent 2 per coffee.

Having been drinking instant coffee for the past, who the hell knows how long(Jar of the stuff for a pound from Iceland. Tastes like bad gravy but you get used to it.), but I wanna be all posh, and perhaps save money in the process? Is drinking proper coffee cheaper than instant gravy?

What's the best machine I can get with a 100 budget? (Preferably not spending the whole lot, man has to eat.)
    And where's the best place to buy beans? I assume its beans and not powder?

I dunno what the hell I'm doing, I drink liquid excrement.

Halp?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• catterz 19 Nov 2012 01:14:21 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Folant Rather than getting a fancy espresso/cappuccino machine, you can seriously up your coffee game by getting a filter coffee machine and some nice beans or ground coffee. If you get beans you'll need a grinder too so you always have fresh ground. Most of the machines have timers in so you can set it up with water, filter and grounds at night and have fresh brewed coffee when you wake up.

You can get a cheap one for as little as 20. Filters don't cost very much at all and then it's down to your choice of coffee.

EDIT: You can get beans or grounds from most supermarkets. I get a nice medium strength Italian one, can't remember the name, though, I just remember the packet.

Edited by catterz at 01:15:38 19-11-2012

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• mal 19 Nov 2012 03:42:23 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Filter coffee is closest in terms of consistency to instant (while still being proper coffee) but if you don't mind adapting to drinking something approximating an espresso, you couldn't go far wrong with a Moka Express and still have lots of money left over for buying fancy grinds.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tonka 19 Nov 2012 07:33:59 20,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best way to improve the quality of coffee is to grind your own. Buy any grinder and any beans and it will be better than any pre ground coffee.

Sips freshly ground coffee

• Folant 19 Nov 2012 11:00:47 1,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't really argue with that. Looking at some filter machines, some of them seem pretty snazzy. Ready when I wake up, keep warm(probably kills the electric, huh? Lol), sounds good.
    Internet seems mixed though as far as beans go?
    Is freezing them ideal or not? Sounds a bit silly to me, but then I've never really given it much thought.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• sport 19 Nov 2012 11:07:42 12,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You guys don't grow your own beans?!?!? o_O
  • Rusty_M 19 Nov 2012 11:29:10 4,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @folant
    Get an Aerobie Aeropress. Very good espresso maker for a very low price. It looks utter shit, but I think it's pretty good. Been using one daily for about 2 years now.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Tonka 19 Nov 2012 11:48:02 20,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Aeropress is good value for money indeed.

Personally I'm more fond of french press coffee since I like to get good quantity as well as quality. Then again, you can use the aeropress to make nice "americano".

Wrt the whole freezing beans thing. I'm sure it's a good idea. But I don't think you get the same jump in quality as you get from pre-ground to fresh ground.

• alexc7496 19 Nov 2012 11:50:33 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a lovely flat White at my local coffee shop earlier. I find some of the bigger chains struggle making these right.
  • mrharvest 19 Nov 2012 12:22:34 5,186 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These days I only buy locally produced coffee. I don't buy anything that's been grown more than 50 miles away.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last