Coffee drinkers appreciation thread! Page 5

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• jellyhead 1 Dec 2009 11:23:32 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Do you have an IKEA nearby? Or one of those Lakeland kitchen equipment places?
    Ikea is in Southampton, i'll google lakeland. Any ideas what the damned thing could be called?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• otto Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:28:18 49,319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    montywithnail wrote:
    I've experimented with grinding and it's fine for a weekend coffee where you have some time to take care but at 6:30 on a weekeday morning while my son throws cheerios at me pre-ground gives me better results than instant/nero or the filter tar they have at work.
    I guess it's just a case of routine, I put the kettle on and a spoonfull of beans in the grinder, press the button, spoon the ensuing grounds into the portafilter, tamp away and attach it to the presso and by the time the kettle's boiled I'm all ready to go. Doesn't really take longer than putting grounds into a filter would.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:32:49 49,319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Do you have an IKEA nearby? Or one of those Lakeland kitchen equipment places?
    Ikea is in Southampton, i'll google lakeland. Any ideas what the damned thing could be called?
    Can't find one on Lakeland's website but how about here?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• jellyhead 1 Dec 2009 11:34:23 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I *heart* Otto :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• DaM 1 Dec 2009 11:34:24 13,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Needs N2O cartridges! No, I'm happy with my Presso!

Is it good then Otto? Quite fancy something like this....
  • S.J.Rogers 1 Dec 2009 11:35:24 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    otto wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    Yuchy insta coffee! Blech!
    Right then, this seems the thread to ask. Here at work we have a little filter holder funnel wedge-shaped doohicky that sits on top of the cup. You put a standard filter in there, pile it with ground coffee and pour water into it. Instant filter coffee straight to the cup \0/

Thing is i want to get my own and i've no idea what/where/how. So lads, any ideas?
    Pound Store?

That's not a put down by the way, those things are very practical. But you can get them everywhere surely?
    Maybe around by you but here in pikey Bournemouth i've not seen them :(
    It's just a wedge with a lip/rim and a handle that you put filters into. Simple as you say but i can't bloody find one.

As i live just around the corner from you, make 2 cups as i really need a coffee...!!!
  • otto Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:35:41 49,319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Presso's great! It's actually really fun to use, I now actually can be arsed to get up and make myself a coffee rather than rolling into work late and buying one from the canteen.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• montywithnail 1 Dec 2009 11:38:50 430 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I guess it's just a case of routine, I put the kettle on and a spoonfull of beans in the grinder, press the button, spoon the ensuing grounds into the portafilter, tamp away and attach it to the presso and by the time the kettle's boiled I'm all ready to go. Doesn't really take longer than putting grounds into a filter would.

Now when you put it like that...

/drums fingers on table resists urge feed habit

I was planning a trip to John Lewis at lunchtime to get christmas presents...
  • DaM 1 Dec 2009 11:41:12 13,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does JL do them? We can put in a bulk order and get Boo to put it through on his staff discount....
  • otto Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:46:38 49,319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Does JL do them? We can put in a bulk order and get Boo to put it through on his staff discount....
    They certainly do...

I use this one - quite cheap and does a good job. My only gripe is that it needs regular cleaning (just a wipe with a kitchen towel) because stale residue has a strong ammonia smell that's a bit like week... :S

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• BravoGolf Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:51:54 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    They certainly do...

I use this one - quite cheap and does a good job. My only gripe is that it needs regular cleaning (just a wipe with a kitchen towel) because stale residue has a strong ammonia smell that's a bit like week... :S

I have that too, it's excellent.

So, what I want from a coffee machine is awesome coffee, that's all. Awesome espressos and lattes :-D A little vague, I know, and I understand it depends entirely on the coffee itself.

So what should I look for in a coffee machine? I've linked to some but I chose them because they look nice and have milk steamers and stuff.
  • montywithnail 3 Dec 2009 14:36:50 430 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    what to look for? something that does all the basics (espresso, steam and mabye hot water) and not much more around the £100 mark that lets you tamp your own and has a 15 bar pump.

Tahns to otto I've been out an purchased a burr grinder (the one linked above) only £36 at my local John Lewis partnership.
  • Goban 3 Dec 2009 14:58:27 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The one of those I had didn't grind it finely enough so you could never get a decent crema, maybe it was faulty.
  • montywithnail 4 Dec 2009 11:31:23 430 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grinding results with the new machine:

- Crema: ok, lots of it but quite pale in colour - might need a finer grind
    - Flavour good - bit stronger than normal
    - caffeine hit- Holy shit double espresso based cappucino and I'm flying
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Dec 2009 17:18:26 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm torn between either the Gaggia Baby Twin or the DeLhongi EC710. Has anyone used either of them? Both get decent enough reviews
  • SpaceDave3000 12 Dec 2009 18:12:12 78,217 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TBH you can't go far wrong with either. As an aside, I'm a big far of the Delhongi Bean to Cup machines but I think they're a little overpriced.

Just a little.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RetardStrong 12 Dec 2009 18:13:49 3,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just received a DeLhongi expresso machine as an early birthday present \o/

Not the fanciest machine around but it does what it's supposed to do :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Dec 2009 19:27:23 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks DB. What's your Bean to Cup machine like? I worry that I limit myself by getting one in terms of customisation and so on. I have a decent enough grinder (linked to by someone else up above).

But, that said, the Magnifica 4200 gets some good reviews

Excellent RetardStrong, happy birthday :-D
  • SpaceDave3000 12 Dec 2009 19:40:54 78,217 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't have one, but I know someone that does. It makes a great cup which for some reason seems to have a slightly richer flavour. Might just be in my head though. Nice machine all round, but like I said I don't think it's worth the kind of money they're asking.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RetardStrong 14 Dec 2009 09:42:27 3,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How do you correctly use the milk frother though? Previous attempts resulted in milk on the ceiling so I'm not inclined to try it again :)

• RetardStrong 15 Dec 2009 13:05:48 3,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just bought a coffee grinder and some nice beans. Amazing cup of coffee, very creamy and not too bitter.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 Dec 2009 13:49:23 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RetardStrong wrote:
    How do you correctly use the milk frother though? Previous attempts resulted in milk on the ceiling so I'm not inclined to try it again :)

:-D Here's a guide you might find helpful
  • RetardStrong 17 Dec 2009 09:53:06 3,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool thanks!
  • Pike 14 Jan 2010 14:38:33 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess this might be a bit like pearls befor swine, but some of you might learn something from this simple guide on how to make a good cup of coffee.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 15:46:40
    Pike wrote:
    I guess this might be a bit like pearls befor swine, but some of you might learn something from this simple guide on how to make a good cup of coffee.
    Whoever does that on a daily basis needs to sort their shit out and find the nearest bridge.
  • mrpon 14 Jan 2010 15:51:03 28,941 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Pike wrote:
    Whoever does that on a daily basis needs to sort their shit out and find the nearest bridge.
    + fucking one, jesus what a fucking mess they make!!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 14 January 2010 15:51:29
    Ironywin.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 14 Jan 2010 16:04:29 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome, my Gaggia arrived today! I want to go home and have a coffee \o/
  • askew 14 Jan 2010 16:05:10 12,291 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The mould dust made me want to horp.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 16:12:22
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Awesome, my Gaggia arrived today! I want to go home and have a coffee \o/
    In a few seconds you can taste an authentic cup of cappuccino …like the one at coffee shop.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last