Coffee drinkers appreciation thread!

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • BravoGolf Moderator 14 Jul 2008 09:32:35 12,752 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As the name suggests, this is the thread were edu-mu-cated folk share their coffee recommendations.

Over the weekend I bought a Krups coffee grinder from Debenhams (for around ~60 yoyos), and the difference in the taste and texture is amazing. The taste is much better and the texture seems more creamy.

Coffee bean I'm using is from this group (Java Republic Roasting Company).

I remember drinking a coffee from Tesco's, can't remember the name, that stuff was gorgeous, it had a really oaky woody flavour.

Do you lot buy your coffee online or in bricks n' mortar establishments?
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 09:35:05 14,567 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ach i've just got some illy espresso shizzle in the house.

I buy most of my coffee made out of shops... current fave is the Market Coffee House at spitalfields... fuckin nom nom. Best coffee i've found in london so far.... and tea for that matter.

Plubs

• faux-C 14 Jul 2008 09:37:04 9,516 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always get my coffee from Monmouth Coffee Company. They have an obscene number of varieties that changes quite a bit. Its a lovely little shop too.

There's a website, but I don't think you can buy online.
  • kalel 14 Jul 2008 09:42:29 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I generally go to Coffee Republic, it's the best balance of distance and quality of coffee.

At home I get mine from my local Italian deli, who does the best home blend I've ever tasted.
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 09:43:44 14,567 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried a coffee from cafe nero yesterday... fucking awful dishwasher coffee. You've been warned.

Plubs

• mouse Moderator 14 Jul 2008 09:43:45 10,310 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, I like coffee.
  • mouse Moderator 14 Jul 2008 09:44:55 10,310 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    I tried a coffee from cafe nero yesterday... fucking awful dishwasher coffee. You've been warned.

OMG this guy is serios. Hideous shite that I have to drink when I'm desperate. That said, their apricot croissants are supreme.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2008 09:46:45
    BravoGolf wrote:
    As the name suggests, this is the thread were edu-mu-cated folk share their coffee recommendations.
    You mean this thread isn't for recommending people to drink coffee with?!?

/leaves

/slams door
  • Jeepers 14 Jul 2008 09:46:59 13,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're ever on Platform 12/13 at Kings Cross, have an espresso from the stand at the near-end of the platform. They make the nicest espresso I've ever had (in England).

I've cut down massively on my coffee drinking - I used to have maybe 4-6 double espresso per day. Since cutting that back to one or two a week, I've noticed I'm waking up vastly more alert and not having that fading feeling mid-afternoon. On the other hand, I miss that lovely bitter, creamy caffeine hit when I wake up.
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2008 09:47:05 34,184 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    funny, i have always liked the smell of coffee, but found it far too bitter unless i add cr"ploads of sugar to it.

i really like tea though :)
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 09:50:56 14,567 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    OMG this guy is serios.
    Thas right! Only high street chain that seems to give me a good coffee is Costa...

Plubs

• askew 14 Jul 2008 09:51:07 12,541 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought one of these oven-top devices yesterday, like a little metal teapot for making espresso. _
  • Sandbox 14 Jul 2008 09:53:09 340 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After years of nagging from the better half about my coffee machines (generally large, noisy and spread grains over a fair bit of the kitchen) I went for a Nespresso machine.

This after I drunkenly filled the bean hopper of my last machine with water.

It's alright, machine is tiny, quick to start up and the coffee is very nice, not the best but always fresh and smooth. Only problem is the cost of the pods, and the fact that you have to get them on-line, works out about 25p a cup.
  • mouse Moderator 14 Jul 2008 09:53:58 10,310 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I bought one of these oven-top devices yesterday, like a little metal teapot for making espresso. _

I had one of these for a long while but I kept forgetting to clean it, and it went moldy, and then my girlfriend threw it out and won't let me buy another one.
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 09:59:59 14,567 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phwoar!

/robo-chubby

Plubs

• kalel 14 Jul 2008 10:07:34 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    askew wrote:

I had one of these for a long while but I kept forgetting to clean it, and it went moldy, and then my girlfriend threw it out and won't let me buy another one.

You're not really supposed to clean them anyway tbh.
  • Spanky 14 Jul 2008 10:10:04 14,567 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You are meant to use them regularly though ain't'cha? I'm no fan of espresso anyway so no great loss.

Plubs

• mouse Moderator 14 Jul 2008 10:13:22 10,310 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    mouse wrote:
    askew wrote:

Ok, but you're not meant to let them get moldy :)
  • KingOfSpain 14 Jul 2008 10:15:20 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We have recently bought one of these for the office at work. Its really good. A lot better than I had expected, while also being really easy to clean and keep tidy.
  • Tonka 14 Jul 2008 10:19:46 21,129 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Over the weekend I bought a Krups coffee grinder from Debenhams (for around ~60 yoyos), and the difference in the taste and texture is amazing. The taste is less better and the texture seems more creamy.

Worse.

:p

I miss French press coffee. Oh if I had a jug full of Five Estates on my desk instead of satchels of Nescafe... ;_; I have even sunken so low that I go to Starbucks to get a "proper" cup of joe.

The downside of living in China. Guess I should take up tea drinking.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mrharvest 14 Jul 2008 10:21:40 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get my beans from Hasbean. Steve is very quick with his service and he's dedicated to stocking only the stuff he believes is good quality and value for money.

Currently drinking this.
  • Tonka 14 Jul 2008 10:22:17 21,129 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH, the best coffee is at my parents house. They say 90% of the taste is down to the water and everytime I drink coffee back home I get this pang of nostalgia.

Huge cup and then my moms home made bread and loads of cheese. Ahhh cheese.. man I haven't had cheese in ages.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Lateralaus 14 Jul 2008 10:22:45 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I add a spoonful of coffee (preferable kenko smooth) and two spoonfuls of canderel (Sugar makes it too sickening) then add a small amount of milk and stir the life out of it and once the kettle boils, simple fill with hot water and enjoy :D
  • Jeepers 14 Jul 2008 10:34:59 13,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    TBH, the best coffee is at my parents house. They say 90% of the taste is down to the water and everytime I drink coffee back home I get this pang of nostalgia.

Good tip - a water filter is a cheap way of improving the taste (and look) of your coffee.
  • askew 14 Jul 2008 10:42:28 12,541 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh. We have these wooden stirring sticks at work. You put them in, and all these bubbles come off and the stick wilts. It's a reet turn off.
  • pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 10:44:37 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I couldn't survive without our cheap piece of shit coffee machine. It cost about 15 quid and just makes filter stuff. I usually fill it with Taylors stuff and just let it brew during the day till it's like American Cop Show coffee. Thick, strong and liable to burn a hole through your gut but DANG that's good coffee.
  • askew 14 Jul 2008 10:46:04 12,541 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aha.
  • BanjoMan 14 Jul 2008 11:15:28 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You sure are. The rubber seal needs replacing every now and then, and the metal filter gets clogged. I was told by Bialetti to fillit with half water, half lemon juice and run it through on the stove. It worked.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• pjmaybe 14 Jul 2008 11:41:56 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno if anyone here sells 'em but if you're into flavoured coffees, Yank style then I can heartily recommend Gloria Jean beans. Particularly the White Russian flavoured ones...

NUM NUM!
  • Shinji 14 Jul 2008 11:47:35 5,903 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seconded on whoever mentioned the Monmouth Coffee Company - absolutely amazing beans, and the shop itself is nice too. The staff all really know their beans (sorry) and can talk you through what's available and work out what will suit you best.

Coffee, Cake & Kink over on Endell Street uses Monmouth beans, and do some of the nicest iced coffees in London (tall glasses full of coffee ice pieces, with fresh hot coffee poured over them at your table). There's also a Monmouth cafe at Borough Market which is a fair bit bigger than the Covent Garden store, and I believe that Flat White, an awesome little cafe over at the far end of Soho, also uses Monmouth beans. Yum.

Of the high street chains, only Costa makes decent coffees - Starbucks is nice for "coffee flavoured" sweet drinks every now and then, but their actual hot coffees are fucking awful :/
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous