Growing your own fruit/vege

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • asha 13 Jul 2008 18:25:09 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've got this empty spot in are garden that gets lots of sun and with the cost of fruit inparticular being so expensive right now I was thinking it would save money and be fun to grow some of are own.

So does anyone know which fruit/vege would be best to grow and don't require a greenhouse?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 13 July 2008 18:26:31
    Grow some cannabis.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2008 18:27:51
    Ignore him grow cannabis
  • asha 13 Jul 2008 18:28:30 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Go to Lidl, the fruit is well cheap.

The only good supermarkets in are town are sainsburys and waitrose are also the two most expensive supermarkets :(

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 13 July 2008 18:29:46
    Root vegetables don't require a greenhouse I think.

Potatoes
    Carrots

Things like tomatoes required one during initial growth.
  • MetalDog 13 Jul 2008 18:36:06 23,697 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gooseberry bush?

Gooseberry crumble, gooseberry jam, yum.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 13 July 2008 18:38:37
    Today we had a roast that had homegrown potatoes, carrots, peas and runner beans.

Whee.
  • asha 13 Jul 2008 18:40:40 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    Root vegetables don't require a greenhouse I think.

Potatoes
    Carrots

Things like tomatoes required one during initial growth.

Cheers, anyothers? They're the few vegetables which are cheap enough for me to not bother growing them.

Anyone know if strawberries or grapes grow fine without a greenhouse?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 13 July 2008 18:41:50
    In the case of Grapes I would assume they need warmth, this is of course going by wines.
  • Dirtbox 13 Jul 2008 19:07:59 78,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Gooseberry bush?

Gooseberry crumble, gooseberry jam, yum.
    This.

Grapes need arid, rocky soil and strawberries are a pain to get growing, and they fall prey to every pest imaginable.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• CasperCCC 13 Jul 2008 19:47:39 1,087 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomatoes, definitely. Most varieties don't need a greenhouse, and they're so, so much better than anything you get in the shops.

Salad also good.

Climbing French beans good - lots of beans, not much space.

Courgettes easy and you get loads.

But mostly tomatoes. If you get the tumbler ones you can grow them in a pot and you get loads of the things. (Mine just starting to ripen up.)

Have tried strawbs and got nowhere. Don't need a greenhouse for them, but I just didn't have any luck with them at all.

Grapes definitely not.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2008 19:51:50
    Bit off topic - we've just started growing seed sprouts inside in one of those Biosnacky tray stacks - every 3 days a whole new crop of yummy sprouts! :D

• Jeepers 13 Jul 2008 19:54:52 13,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My tomatoes grew pretty well in a pot on a East-facing fire escape. Until I forgot to water them for a couple of weeks.

What about strawberries?
  • asha 13 Jul 2008 20:06:57 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    Strawberries grow very well, HOWEVER it takes a few seasons/years for them to really become bountiful.

Sorry if I sound abit dim but is that just growing them from scratch?

If I got a hold of a strawberry plant (Is that what their?) that's already been growing somewhere else and is producing good strawberries could I then plant it in the garden and will it continue to grow and create strawberries?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Shinji 13 Jul 2008 20:11:38 5,903 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    asha wrote:
    If I got a hold of a strawberry plant (Is that what their?) that's already been growing somewhere else and is producing good strawberries could I then plant it in the garden and will it continue to grow and create strawberries?

Yes... Sort of. The first year will probably still be really crap, unfortunately, because it'll spend most of its nutrients on expanding and repairing its root structure after the move, rather than on making excellent strawberries.

Raspberries also grow well in the British climate but they do take a while to take, too.

Root veg - spuds, carrots, parsnips, turnips, swedes - are just about your best bet for "ease of gardening". You can also successfully grow stuff like spring onions, leeks, rhubarb, most varieties of lettuce, rocket, courgettes and all manner of beans and peas, all of which grow fast and are relatively low-maintenance.
  • mattigan 13 Jul 2008 21:10:07 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Courgettes need about 3 feet square, I have never got carrots to grow successfully, in spite of a couple of concerted efforts. Tried Beans (runner) this year, and am curently getting loads, with some french ones on the way. Tomatoes are great, you get loads from a single plant, sweetcorn is good to but you need 4 plants (2 square feet of space). Onions and leeks take ages to be ready so don't bother unless you are very patient. Spuds, Broad Beans and various other stuff can be grown in pots if you find that you have less space that you need.

But mainly grow stuff you actually eat, I grew a truckload of radish and beetroot (also REALLY easy), only to find that both me and the family dont really like them...

Along with all this factor in the cost of tools and equipment you will need to buy along with compost/manure etc that you should be getting to enhance the soil, along with time weeding wateering etc...

Plus, you have left it a bit late this year. Wait till Autumn then start getting the soil ready for Spring, and check out the Royal Horticultural Societies website for tips on growing anything that you decide to stick in the ground. www.rhs.org.uk
  • mattigan 8 Mar 2009 18:57:57 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just started this years crops off, Courgettes, Tomatos, Beetroot, Spring Onions and Chillis.

Anyone else out there planning to have a go at growing stuff to eat this year?
  • Syrette 8 Mar 2009 19:04:53 43,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    Grow some cannabis.

• mattigan 8 Mar 2009 19:07:51 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, not really my thing, plus don't have a spare 500 for hydroponics equipment knocking around. Plus my electric bills would be murder!
  • Alastair 8 Mar 2009 19:46:32 15,769 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not started yet - bit early isn't it??
    But planning to grow toms, french beans, radishes, lettuces, strawbs, maybe courgettes.
  • warlockuk 8 Mar 2009 19:51:24 19,171 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I try and get my veg from the Saturday market. Much cheaper than getting it from a supermarket.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• paul_haine 8 Mar 2009 19:56:47 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    Just started this years crops off, Courgettes, Tomatos, Beetroot, Spring Onions and Chillis.

Anyone else out there planning to have a go at growing stuff to eat this year?

I have a strawberry plant on my windowsill. It's about 18 months old and very, very occasionally it will grow a strawberry a little smaller than a 5p piece, which is inedible, and gets thrown away.

So I'll be continuing with that this year.
  • silentbob 8 Mar 2009 19:57:45 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My wife and her dad have grown veg in our back garden for years now. This year's crop includes:

Early Spuds
    Two types of Peas
    French Beans
    Runner Beans
    Sugar Snaps
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes
    Courgettes
    Sweetcorn
    Broad Beans
    Raspberries
    Gooseberries
    Rhubarb
    Blackcurrants

/noms

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Fizzog 8 Mar 2009 19:59:41 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What does Rhubarb taste like? I've never had a meal that contained it
  • JuanKerr 8 Mar 2009 20:00:23 36,248 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Homegrown fruit and veg is great. Think I'll be attempting something a bit more adventurous than tomatoes this year.

What's the easiest thing to grow for a clueless gardening moron like myself?
  • paul_haine 8 Mar 2009 20:01:39 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    What does Rhubarb taste like? I've never had a meal that contained it

Go and get yourself a rhubarb crumble and find out.
  • silentbob 8 Mar 2009 20:03:30 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Homegrown fruit and veg is great. Think I'll be attempting something a bit more adventurous than tomatoes this year.

What's the easiest thing to grow for a clueless gardening moron like myself?
    According to my resident expert, Salad Crops. So tomatoes, rocket, lettuce, radishes. Runner beans apparently a good starter crop too.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• JuanKerr 8 Mar 2009 20:05:04 36,248 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice, think I'll be going down the salad route as that's what I eat the most. Runner beans would be a good too, I reckon.
  • Discordian_Front 8 Mar 2009 20:06:58 17 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    Nah, not really my thing, plus don't have a spare 500 for hydroponics equipment knocking around. Plus my electric bills would be murder!

That's why you tap into next doors electricity
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous