Ubuntu Page 3

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 14:02:09
    @JH

No worries mate! It tells me what files it's gone looking for and where they are but they don't exist. Just loads of other similarly named ones so something has gone awry.

I'll have a look into the LTS thing.
  • NBZ 27 Aug 2008 14:08:20 2,351 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Ok to describe it better: windows and linux are both of seperate drives in the same machine, linux failed to install properly so I want to format the drive and just use it for storage in windows but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

You need to reformat the linux partition to a format Windows recognises. Like FAT32/VFAT or NTFS.
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 14:10:56 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ba-doom-tish! :)
    In the linux world "bin" usually means "binaries" or in windows terms "programs".
    "/usr/local/bin" to me means that it's user available local applications. "sbin" will contain "System Utilities" or components that "bin" apps use.
    Wait until you see some of the others like "/etc/init.d/RC.0" for startup apps and scripts or for logs have a look in "/var/logs"
    Windows is the same you have "\windows\" for legacy stuff, "\windows\system32" for newer stuff, "\Documents and Settings\Username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" is where you find the user settings. Familiarity helps i suppose.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 14:14:16 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    You'll have to use the disc management tool in mmc and delete the partition that isn't your XP one. Then create a new one and format it.
    NBZ wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Ok to describe it better: windows and linux are both of seperate drives in the same machine, linux failed to install properly so I want to format the drive and just use it for storage in windows but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

You need to reformat the linux partition to a format Windows recognises. Like FAT32/VFAT or NTFS.

I removed the partitions so now it's 'unallowcated' and I don't know how to turn it into a proper drive, err help please?

Portable view - Never forget.

• Jellybob 27 Aug 2008 14:14:54 44 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jellyhead: Actually, LTS is less likely to be up to date, because it's supported for several years. At release it's the same packages, but they're likely to only do security updates for it, rather then full upgrades of the packages available.

If you're running a server, that's great news, because it's not going to break because you upgraded your packages. For a desktop it's not quite as nice since you're not going to get the latest versions of packages you install.

@boabg: Ubuntu is plenty stable. At work we're running a large chunk of an ISP on it, and unless someone changes something, or the hardware dies, it just keeps on going.

LTS stands for "Long Term Support", and is just marking that version as being one that they're going to support for longer then usual. Grab a copy of 8.04 (Hardy Heron), which is the latest version, and just so happens to also be an LTS release.

If you're having problems getting packages, it might help to run "sudo apt-get update" from a terminal window, which will get the latest list of available packages.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 14:17:34
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    You'll have to use the disc management tool in mmc and delete the partition that isn't your XP one. Then create a new one and format it.
    NBZ wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:

I removed the partitions so now it's 'unallowcated' and I don't know how to turn it into a proper drive, err help please?

Right click on it and select "new partition" then format.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 14:21:39 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Right click on it and select "new partition" then format.

Thanks, I think I was getting out of my depth with OS's and partitions, i'll leave such things alone.

Portable view - Never forget.

• jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 14:22:25 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellybob, you're spot on with the LTS description. That's what i meant to say but fluffed it.
    What i also meant to point out in my cack-handed way was that i had an old Ubuntu install that wouldn't update anymore so i went to LTS and found lots of new bits and bobs available for the machine from the outset rather than me having to add them in.

OldRed, would you want to be typing in 30+ character directory names? :)
    Also Unix/Linux have their roots in old teletype terminals and the likes so they had to keep it short and sweet.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 14:29:04
    Just tried to install opera and it says...ERROR DEPENDENCY IS NOT SATISFIABLE.

wtf?
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 14:34:57 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg, drop to a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt" or go here for a help article.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 15:02:01
    jellyhead wrote:
    boabg, drop to a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt" or go here for a help article.

The help article didn't do much, I added the software repository OK but after that I'm struggling to see the part that actually installs the application.

Is this the command to install it? I've got that in the repository bit and it seems OK.

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free

Putting that into the terminal does bugger all (doesn't know what "deb" is) as does:

sudo wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

for adding the GPG key.

Also, it seems like it can now find the updates it couldn't earlier but instead of a 404 it gives a 403 (forbidden).
  • FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 22:25:17 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't mean to be patronising or anything, but I think a lot of the problem is people are so used to the windows ways of doing this.

Windows isn't rithe "right" way, but neither is Linux, they are just different. And it does take time to get used to those difference. It took me quite a while to get my head around the directory structure in Linux just because I couldn't help but try and look at in a windows way, which is wrong. Linux isn't Windows. And as obvious as that sounds it can take a while to shake that off. When you do, everything starts to make as much sense as Windows does.

Boabg. I'm a little surprised you are having so much grief with Ubuntu, I found Kubuntu fairly easy to install. I have a Nvidia 7300 GT and got it working fine when the dialog to install the restricted drivers popped up after install.

Some other distros I have used that are very good are Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu, but has very good hardware detection in my experience) PC Linux OS and Mandriva. Open Suse is also popular but I didn't like it much myself. Then you have Fedora, but I'm pretty sure it's all 100% free (as in all open source, might be wrong there though) and as much as I like that idea, you need to use some non-free software like Adobe Flash for a start for an easier life.
  • FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 22:31:47 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:

The help article didn't do much, I added the software repository OK but after that I'm struggling to see the part that actually installs the application.

Is this the command to install it? I've got that in the repository bit and it seems OK.

Putting that into the terminal does bugger all (doesn't know what "deb" is) as does:

for adding the GPG key.

Also, it seems like it can now find the updates it couldn't earlier but instead of a 404 it gives a 403 (forbidden).

Did you try installing Opera from Synaptic (if using Ubuntu) or from command "sudo apt-get install opera"?

I just installed without any problems

Have you enabled "universe" repository? Although you shouldn't need that for system updates.
  • NBZ 27 Aug 2008 22:37:18 2,351 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Then you have Fedora, but I'm pretty sure it's all 100% free (as in all open source, might be wrong there though) and as much as I like that idea, you need to use some non-free software like Adobe Flash for a start for an easier life.

Nothing stopping you from installing Flash and the likes.

While Fedora in itself is free software only, the likes of Livna-son-to-be-rpmfusion provide all the otehr extras that you may need (and Adobe provide a repository for Flash, even though IMO the RC of Flash 10 works better than the stable Flash 9).

I mostly use Vista, but there are quite a few tasks easier no Linux (gnome desktop) for me.

The fact that Vista refuses to write cd's (but does write DVD's) means that for some tasks my Fedora Install is more than necessary.

And it has Wobbly windows. After using them, the non wobbly windows in Vista just seem wrong.

EDIT - Fedora 9 - I had to do zero command line configuration to get everything set up as I wanted.
  • FooAtari 28 Aug 2008 07:13:45 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Fair enough, I just don't see the point of having a gui, then expecting the user to use the command line to do something basic like installing an app.

Unless you are compiling from source you shouldn't have to. It is entirely possible to have to rarely use the command line.

But it is quicker for many tasks and provides a common way of doing things. There can be different ways of doing things across different distributions and desktop environments however the command line is 90% the same across them all. Well across the popular distros at least.
  • BartonFink 28 Aug 2008 08:21:50 34,853 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Anyone tried gOS?
    Might give it a go tomorrow.
    Is there is Live CD distro for it?

As someone else said a few years ago in reference to Ubuntu, 'that looks like fisted arse' though.

I guess it's just Ububntu with Google Gadgets bolted on. Done by a 12 year old by the looks of it too ;)
  • Deleted user 28 August 2008 13:39:36
    FooAtari wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:

for adding the GPG key.

Did you try installing Opera from Synaptic (if using Ubuntu) or from command "sudo apt-get install opera"?

I just installed without any problems

Have you enabled "universe" repository? Although you shouldn't need that for system updates.

boab@boab-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install opera
    [sudo] password for boab:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package opera is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package opera has no installation candidate

There's obviously some difference between how yours is set up and mine if yours works.

I still get 403 forbidden messages when trying to update from ubuntu's repository which has bugger all to do with the setup of the OS. Or if it is it came off the CD in a fucked state.
  • DodgyPast 28 Aug 2008 14:55:48 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Windows wants to be successful they're going to have to make it so you can 100% use it without command line, IMO.

Doh :p

Neither operating systems are best run purely from the GUI.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2008 15:08:50
    Well say what you want about Ubuntu but it's at least better than SuSE. That thing tries to connect to the internet during the network configuration settings dialog in YaST which means you can't save DNS settings before it tries to connect.

Come. Fucking. On.
  • Sandbox 28 Aug 2008 15:19:27 339 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Nasty wrote:
    Anyone tried gOS?
    Might give it a go tomorrow.
    Is there is Live CD distro for it?

As someone else said a few years ago in reference to Ubuntu, 'that looks like fisted arse' though.

I guess it's just Ububntu with Google Gadgets bolted on. Done by a 12 year old by the looks of it too ;)

Just installed the latest gOS on my old Compaq lappy-(Athlon 2400 / 512MB). Turned off the horrid OSX-a-like doc, and it seems fine, think it is just ubuntu with a different windows environment, but it is much quicker (the interface that is, not the lappy, nothing sort of DOS 5 will speed up this hunk of junk).

Completely new to Linux, and so far so good, tried opening our main stock file (Created in Excel 07) and worked fine, no joy so far with wireless, think I need to find a USB WiFi dongle that works with Linux as the built in Compaq was terrible anyway.

I downloaded the latest ISO from the gOS site, slow, but it does work.
  • Deleted user 9 September 2008 11:21:16
    Finally got ubuntu kicked into some kind of reasonable shape. It's been a fairly good experience so far.
  • mrblackett 9 Sep 2008 11:38:50 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never a day goes past when I don't kick off at Ubuntu. There's always some utterly baffling, completely ridiculous problem to deal with. I haven't used Windows for nearly two years now so I can't work out whether it really is any better.

It never crashes so I suppose it is but if Firefox closes just because I had the audacity to load a page with Flash one more time, I'm firing the fucking machine into space.

Anyone have a spare cannon?
  • Deleted user 9 September 2008 11:40:58
    There are some truly mind boggling shortcomings in the linux distros I've tried in the last few weeks.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2008 23:46:48
    Hello from Kubuntu and Konqueror! :)
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 20 First / Last