Ubuntu Page 19

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• chopsen 9 Jul 2013 13:54:16 16,087 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People need to stop investing energy in making different flavours of linux distros and desktops environments, and make better useful applications for windows.
  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:54:39 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    mal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Interest in Linux still low.
    Interest in Ubuntu is low, you mean.
    Still the most popular Linux distro! I myself use Manjaro, however.
    Isn't Mint more popular now?

PSN: DonOsito

• Wacko_AK 9 Jul 2013 13:55:18 188 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just installed Ubuntu on an ageing laptop (celeron with 512meg) and it's transformed it from slow as fuck to speedy.

Only niggle was getting flash installed (not as easy as it should be).

4OD keeps giving me "digital rights" issues but apart from that everything runs fine.

It's only going to be used for browsing and videos so in that respect it's perfect.
  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:57:15 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    mal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Interest in Linux still low.
    Interest in Ubuntu is low, you mean.
    Still the most popular Linux distro! I myself use Manjaro, however.
    Isn't Mint more popular now?
    Maybe on DistroWatch, but overall that is not the case. Mint also has a Debian edition now since Canonical is being all kinds of annoying.

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:57:22 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flash was hard? Isn't it simply in the package manager?

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:58:47 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    People need to stop investing energy in making different flavours of linux distros and desktops environments, and make better useful applications for windows.
    That's just mean. :-(

• Fab4 9 Jul 2013 13:59:06 6,092 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The recent flash update I had to remove the existing flash and reinstall before it would work (Ubuntu 12.10). Never had any issues before with the installers.
  • Wacko_AK 9 Jul 2013 14:00:22 188 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Not hard at all, just a faff. I was thinking more from the aspect of the casual user wanting to try it. Googling the solution leads down all sorts of weird command line text that would stump the casual user unless they knew about the package manager.
  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 14:00:31 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    I've just installed Ubuntu on an ageing laptop (celeron with 512meg) and it's transformed it from slow as fuck to speedy.

Only niggle was getting flash installed (not as easy as it should be).

4OD keeps giving me "digital rights" issues but apart from that everything runs fine.

It's only going to be used for browsing and videos so in that respect it's perfect.
    Strange. Thanks to Unity, Ubuntu is normally deemed quite slow compared to the rest. Getting Flash is easy if you use openSUSE in my experience.

Edited by Hexagon at 14:05:52 09-07-2013

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 14:02:12 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Not hard at all, just a faff. I was thinking more from the aspect of the casual user wanting to try it. Googling the solution leads down all sorts of weird command line text that would stump the casual user unless they knew about the package manager.
    There's lots of outdated info on the web. Flash was all sorts of messy a couple of years back; this has changed significantly.

Of course, we're still stuck on 11.2, unless using the closed-source version of Chrome.

• Wacko_AK 9 Jul 2013 14:02:25 188 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ubuntu is normally deemed quite slow compared to the rest.
    I might give some of the ones you suggest a try, when I say "speedy" it's more in comparison to the XP that was on it.
  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 14:03:19 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    I might give some of the ones you suggest a try, when I say "speedy" it's more in comparison to the XP that was on it.
    It'll be speedy if your gfx card is up to the job, so you may not notice that much of a difference.

Anyway, glad Linux works for you.

• Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 14:17:32 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    Give them a try, don't be shy. My recommended method is to create live USB sticks with Deepin which is polished and stable as can be.

GOG for Linux!

• souvlaki 9 Jul 2013 14:57:44 722 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a Lenovo Q180 and no matter what graphics drivers I try, when watching 1080 rips it is always a jerk fest, but 720 is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 15:13:16 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    I have a Lenovo Q180 and no matter what graphics drivers I try, when watching 1080 rips it is always a jerk fest, but 720 is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I suggest you pose your question here to get the best help possible.

Edited by Hexagon at 15:13:38 09-07-2013

GOG for Linux!

• Deleted user 24 July 2013 00:53:24
    So, I'm quite taken with Crunchbang. It's awesome. The sheer range of customisation stuff you can do with it just from editing a few variables in a text file are ridiculously impressive, and it ends up feeling so ridiculously uncluttered that Windows 8 feels cramped and claustrophobic in comparison. Not particularly for beginners, though, they'd feel horribly lost.

My nice tidy desktop
  • mal 24 Jul 2013 01:33:31 22,605 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting. I might give that a go, as I'm due an upgrade (still on Debian Squeeze atm). I like lightweight too, and have currently settled on XFCE only because LXDE was a bit too broken in the standard distro and stuff like Enlightenment seemed a bit too old-school.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Hexagon 27 Aug 2013 02:17:55 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    @hexagon We went with Ubuntu purely out of personal preference. I tried mint some time ago and I kept having little niggling issues that weren't there with Ubuntu (which was unexpected since it's the foundation for Mint). Glad to hear you're getting on well with it though ::-):. It's a really nice alternative and is certainly a lot closer to Windows in appearance.
    How's Kamatech these days, Lt_Drebin? I've been mentioning the company where I can whenever it was relevant to a question. I hope you don't mind that I inform potential customers that they do not need to stick with Ubuntu if they do not desire to!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 27 Aug 2013 06:13:17 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a bit of a "Linux is insanely great" moment yesterday night and I feel like sharing.

I have a mid-2010 MBP that I routinely dual-boot between Ubuntu and OS X (Linux is for games, see). I recently replaced the 750 MB HDD with a 256 MB SDD (the price was good, and as anyone knows they just _fly_), leaving me with a bit of a pickle as to what to do with all that data (interestingly, most of it was on the Ubu partition). Knowing there's problems installing a non-OS X system completely to an external drive, I settled for the next best thing: system on the internal SSD, the home dir on and external HDD. I'd never done this before, so I didn't know how fussy it would be about it, especially as the home dir is encrypted.

Well, it took all of 5 minutes and one line in fstab. I'm still waiting for my 2.5" FW800 enclosure, too, so it's running off USB2.0 and it's surprisingly not being horrendously slow.

I'm having some very warm feelings towards Linux and the people who make it right now. :redface:

I celebrated by finishing Dishonored on it right afterwards.

Edited by dominalien at 06:15:29 27-08-2013

• Hexagon 28 Aug 2013 00:30:26 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    You make a good point about the use of AMD over Nvidia. We did a bit of market research ahead of coming up with our spec. for the Ninja and the overwhelming majority of people we asked said they'd still use a dual-boot setup with any Linux gaming PC. So we've (perhaps shamefully) factored in performance under Windows when going with the HD7850. As more games come to Steam for Linux and the dual-booting falls away we'll definitely review this if AMD haven't made improvements to their drivers.
    It seems you were correct with your market research. AMD is making massive strides with regard to its FOSS graphics drivers.

GOG for Linux!

• mal 28 Aug 2013 02:08:38 22,605 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I have a mid-2010 MBP that I routinely dual-boot between Ubuntu and OS X (Linux is for games, see).
    Good work, soldjier.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrDigital 28 Aug 2013 10:46:05 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any general tips on install graphics card drivers on a laptop that has a base Intel graphics card, and a dedicated nVidia graphics card? Obviously on Windows it's well supported, but on Ubuntu and Arch, whenever I installed unofficial or official nVidia drivers, it fucked up my display, but I'm guessing that could be down to me doing something wrong.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• dominalien 28 Aug 2013 20:15:12 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hm, which graphics adapter does it run off when you install the system? And what computer is it?

My MBP comes with both Intel and Nvidia gfx, but I've resigned to just run off the Nvidia card, at the expense of battery life. For this, I need BIOS mode, as the closed Nvidia driver only runs in that. Apparently the EFI mode allows the Intel card to be selected, but then I'd be limited to crappy performance off that or using Nouveau, either of which is less than ideal.

• dominalien 28 Aug 2013 20:15:50 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    I have a mid-2010 MBP that I routinely dual-boot between Ubuntu and OS X (Linux is for games, see).
    Good work, soldjier.
    I suppose that's meant as a jibe of some sort? :-) I shall not be provoked.

• L0cky 4 Sep 2013 13:43:39 1,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the steam support like these days?

(I could ask in a steam thread but there's more likely to be actual daily linux desktop users in here).
  • chopsen 4 Sep 2013 13:44:31 16,087 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/
  • dominalien 4 Sep 2013 13:47:34 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indies only, basically. There's still plenty to play, mind, depending on what you like.

• L0cky 4 Sep 2013 13:51:59 1,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks.

Hmm, so not good enough yet maybe. Though the stuff that is there seems to be top quality. Probably a correlation there about caring enough about your game to port it.
  • dominalien 4 Sep 2013 14:01:22 6,978 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll be a long time before the likes of Ubi and EA start putting out Linux stuff. Never, perhaps.

• Hexagon 17 Sep 2013 15:02:57 352 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    It'll be a long time before the likes of Ubi and EA start putting out Linux stuff. Never, perhaps.
    I find that DOTA2 has been keeping me more than satisfied (addicted). I have yet to touch Natural Selection 2. I am content with the rate that games are coming out at. That's just my take on the subject, though.

GOG for Linux!

• Page

of 20 First / Last