Ubuntu Page 17

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Lt_Drebin 26 Oct 2012 07:52:22 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback Geesh. I think you definitely have a point about making the site feel more secure and that's something that I plan to rectify in the coming months. I've been very surprised by how many people are willing to trust the site in its current state haha! We're now just a few sales shy of being able to afford a pretty major overhaul of the shopping side of things which will hopefully result in a bit of a sales boost.

The main problem I've encountered with Amazon/eBay is their fairly crippling fees but if having something on there inspires more confidence in potential customers then I suppose it's worth taking a closer look at that route. Cheer for the advice ::-):
  • MrDigital 26 Oct 2012 08:30:35 1,870 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, fair enough! Being a Comp Sci grad, I may have a bit of a skewed view on the internet :D Good luck with your business anyway, man, they seem like very good products (and lovely Ubuntu, mmmmmmmmmmmm).

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Ginger 26 Oct 2012 08:56:51 6,917 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Try and get yourself pimped on OMGubuntu.co.uk if you haven't already.

London open taekwondo champion

• Lt_Drebin 26 Oct 2012 13:51:04 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's a very good idea! (in fact I really should have thought of that, Ive followed them on Twitter for ages) I shall drop them a line this evening.
  • Hexagon 8 Nov 2012 14:16:51 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bit far fetched, Lt_Drebin, but since your sales are obviously going well, and with Steam coming to Ubuntu, have you thought of expanding your assortment of desktops to be more gaming capable? Furthermore, please keep us posted on what OMG! Ubuntu has to say, as well as how sales are going every once in a while. I am quite interested!

GOG for Linux!

• Lt_Drebin 8 Nov 2012 17:56:31 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Hexagon - I'll gladly keep dropping the odd update in here. Things are going well at the minute, 12.10 seems to be very popular! We're actually in the process of settling on a spec for a gaming variant (named Ninja) in time to launch with the full version of steam for Linux which should hopefully coincide with our website upgrade. We haven't heard back from the OMG! Ubuntu guys yet but I'll be in here straight away with a link if we get featured :D
  • Hexagon 8 Nov 2012 19:07:05 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good to hear! Glad someone in the UK is selling hardware with Linux on it. Did you tell OMG! Ubuntu what you just told me regarding Ninja, the website upgrade, and it all coinciding with Steam's launch on Linux as well? It's a common sense thing to do, but I want to double check anyway just to make sure you've done it!

GOG for Linux!

• Lt_Drebin 8 Nov 2012 22:17:49 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks Hex, the response so far has been really encouraging :)

Yeah I've passed all the details about the gaming machines and site upgrade to them. Hopefully we might get a spot on OMG, if not we'll just have to try some of the other enthusiast sites.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 20:09:39
    Apparently the Humble Bundles can now be redeemed in Ubuntu's Software Centre thingymajig. Or at least some of them can.
  • Lt_Drebin 1 Jan 2013 10:43:42 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just a quick update for anyone who is interested- our new and improved website  has gone live today. This coincides with the launch of our two new machines, the Sensei 2 is a straight successor to our popular Ubuntu Pre-loaded desktop while the Ninja is our first gaming model and comes with Steam pre-installed. Happy New Year Ubuntu fans :-)
  • Hexagon 2 Jan 2013 18:34:35 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lt_Drebin, the new website is a hell of a lot better than the old one. Just as simple, but far more appealing to the eye as well as professional looking. KamaTech is shaping up, it seems! Glad that the EU is getting its own computer manufacturer focusing on Linux as opposed to the US's System76 and ZaReason despite it only shipping within the UK for now.

The desktops themselves look quite nice as well, although I wonder why you went with AMD for graphics when their reputation for Linux driver support isn't as good as that of Nvidia's. I also assume that the more popular KamaTech becomes, the more options one will have with regard to hardware customization.

My parents are currently on a Dell desktop that is at least six years old now so I am rather keen on getting that Sensei 2 for them once the Dell dies. I'll have to think of a way of getting it to them, however, as they do not reside in the UK!

How are sales going, mate? Did OMG! Ubuntu ever get back to you? If not, try again now that the new site is up! Keep up the good work and keep us informed! Might pop you a job application someday!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 2 Jan 2013 18:47:58 7,065 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, Ubuntu is coming to a phone near you. I wonder if it can get any serious adoption.

Edit: watching the video embedded in the article. It doesn't look bad, but Mark Shuttleworth is very clearly aiming to be the next SJ. I'm not sure it's becoming.

Edited by dominalien at 19:04:05 02-01-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• Lt_Drebin 2 Jan 2013 23:35:19 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Hexagon - thanks, I'm much happier with the new site. The old one served its purpose to test the water but it was a bit of a mess. With some luck, 2013 will see us continue to grow and one day maybe we'll be up there with those guys! We just need to have the international shipping problem tackled in the next 12 months. We'll be adding more options to the builds over the year as well.

You make a good point about the use of AMD over Nvidia. We did a bit of market research ahead of coming up with our spec. for the Ninja and the overwhelming majority of people we asked said they'd still use a dual-boot setup with any Linux gaming PC. So we've (perhaps shamefully) factored in performance under Windows when going with the HD7850. As more games come to Steam for Linux and the dual-booting falls away we'll definitely review this if AMD haven't made improvements to their drivers.

Sales are going well thanks, we met our EOY targets comfortably so hopefully this year will be even better. Never heard back from the OMG! guys but I shall be harassing them again now our new builds and site are up. Anyway, cheers for the support and feedback, it's much appreciated. Drop me a PM if you do end up ordering a Sensei and I'll make sure we chuck in a forumite-bonus of some kind.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 23:44:04
    Ubuntu for phones looks amazing. I really think Ubuntu for phones is going to change the way we use our mobiles, just as iPhone did back in 2007. Anyone else agree?
  • Lt_Drebin 4 Jan 2013 08:32:20 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm really excited about the phone OS. Not just for what they showed in the video but for what others will do with it. Already planning my purchase of a secondary handset to try it out on.
  • DaM 4 Jan 2013 09:33:58 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think it will struggle to get support. Big companies have tried and failed to launch successful alternative phone OSs. To do do needs a great deal of commitment and money. Ubuntu aren't exactly rolling in cash....
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 09:49:07 69,516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How about throwing in an HTPC as one of your models?
  • Ginger 4 Jan 2013 09:51:10 6,917 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    How about throwing in an HTPC as one of your models?
    with NVIDIA graphics and steam big picture mode

London open taekwondo champion

• Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 09:57:04 12,894 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Lt_Drebin A number of the images are showing compression and/or scaling artefacts. If you want any help with that stuff then let me know :)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Lt_Drebin 4 Jan 2013 10:22:20 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mr-Brett thanks, I shall take you up on that! I'll drop you a line over the weekend if that's okay?

@Dougs and Ginger - keep an eye on the site next month ;-)
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 10:28:01 12,894 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Lt_Drebin Sure, that sounds fine.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 4 January 2013 11:48:06
    What's wrong with 12.10 and the NVIDIA graphics drivers? The one I download from the manufacturers website does nothing when I click on it and the Additional Drivers app in the Ubuntu Software Centre crashed my PC resulting in me having to reinstall twice. I'm not the only one with these issues, there are others moaning on the Ubuntu forums and most of the solutions offered require extensive of the Terminal, which can be a bit of a mind fuck for casual users like me.

How do they expect Steam to work smoothly with Ubuntu when there are such glaring issues?
  • dominalien 4 Jan 2013 12:08:05 7,065 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignore the one from manufacturer's website.

Install and open Synaptic, do a search for nvidia and remove the one already installed, if any (nvidia-current, nvidia-settings or ) and hit apply. Wait for it to uninstall, then select the experimental-310 (both driver and settings), hit apply, restart system.

PSN: DonOsito

• Hexagon 18 Feb 2013 00:05:19 352 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, Steam is officially out and I am liking it! On that note, Lt_Drebin, I am not actually using Ubuntu, but Linux Mint. Did you strike some deal with Canonical by chance? The reason I am asking is because Linux Mint is just so much easier to transition to from Windows and thus that would have been my first choice of Linux operating system if I were to sell hardware with Linux on it. Heck, all the desktop environments that Linux Mint comes with (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, and KDE) resemble Windows pre Windows 8.

GOG for Linux!

• MrDigital 18 Feb 2013 00:17:38 1,870 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really prefer Gnome 3 over most other GUIs. The ones that resemble Windows just seem to be a really shit shadow of the Windows GUI. Gnome 3 on the other hand is going it's on direction and does it in a professional and well-polished way.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Lt_Drebin 18 Feb 2013 00:35:19 209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @hexagon We went with Ubuntu purely out of personal preference. I tried mint some time ago and I kept having little niggling issues that weren't there with Ubuntu (which was unexpected since it's the foundation for Mint). Glad to hear you're getting on well with it though ::-):. It's a really nice alternative and is certainly a lot closer to Windows in appearance.
  • mal 18 Feb 2013 00:57:44 22,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pff, my xfce setup most closely resembles GEM on an Atari ST if I squint at it with the contrast turned down.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Trowel 19 Feb 2013 19:20:34 18,064 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ubuntu for tablets
  • oceanmotion 19 Feb 2013 19:23:56 16,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks nice. Seems more intuitive than Windows 8, I've never got the snap feature to work on Windows but looks so easy in that video.
  • superdelphinus 19 Feb 2013 19:51:13 8,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to use Linux mint, lovely os. Isn't it 90% Ubuntu though? Or it was 4 or 5 years ago
  • Page

of 20 First / Last