Ubuntu Page 2

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• faux_carnation 27 Aug 2008 10:17:52 9,089 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    There's little difference between it and Windows really.

10 fundamental differences between Linux and Windows

Just came across the above article and thought I would post it.

He says at the beginning
    This is not, in the least, to say one is better than the other. Itís just to say that they are fundamentally different.
    And then spends the rest of the article saying
    LINUX SHITS ON WINDOWS!11!!!!!!!11one

Idiot.

Anyway , looking at his list of what makes linux so good reminds me of why I could never be arsed with it when I was dual booting. All the benefits are only perceivable by geeks.

Boatmurdered FC

• FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 10:24:26 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    Aretak wrote:

He says at the beginning
    This is not, in the least, to say one is better than the other. Itís just to say that they are fundamentally different.

Idiot.

Anyway , looking at his list of what makes linux so good reminds me of why I could never be arsed with it when I was dual b

ooting. All the benefits are only perceivable by geeks.

I just deleted the post, as upon reading the rest of the article (i only read the first few) realized it was a bit crap. That will teach me for jumping the gun. (and it was written by a she by the way :) )

But some of the benefits shouldn't only perceivable by geeks. Open v closed for example should matter to all computer users. But, of course, most people don't care. Which is kind of sad but what can you do.

There are still plenty of things Linux does better than Windows imo (although, just to be clear, I use both) installing software using apt or its front end, synaptic, is really really simple. Easier than installing software in Windows. But then, thats as long as the software exists in the repository. If you can't get a .deb or .rpm (read .exe) things get difficult, compiling from source is not an option for new users. Thankfully the popular distros have huge repositories. And one of the biggest advantages of Linux for me, especially for less savvy users is it's security.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 10:26:44
    Last time I tried linux I had to install a C compiler before I could install the display drivers.

Is this still the case because I couldn't get it to work.
  • EGBartonFink 27 Aug 2008 10:56:31 914 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:
    Aretak wrote:

He says at the beginning

Idiot.

Anyway , looking at his list of what makes linux so good reminds me of why I could never be arsed with it when I was dual booting. All the benefits are only perceivable by geeks.

Yup idiot is a good description of that mong.
    Point 3 is a right laugh
    Point 5 is a bit of a joke.
    Point 6 is a farce to be honest.

Christ he even professes to wear his Linux fanboy badge proudly.

Some of the rest is fairly reasonable though.
  • FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 10:58:16 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Last time I tried linux I had to install a C compiler before I could install the display drivers.

Nah, things have improved vastly. Well unless you have some obscure video card, that might cause problems.
  • EGBartonFink 27 Aug 2008 11:06:36 914 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try kububtu Crispy.

Really nice.

Now if I could only figure out how to turn the freaking firewall off!!!
    In their wisdom they removed this from sys admin. Can't ssh or scp into one of my dev boxes at the mo
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 11:14:12
    FooAtari wrote:
    boabg wrote:

Nah, things have improved vastly. Well unless you have some obscure video card, that might cause problems.

Well I'm just about to give it a bash. It's a bog standard nVidia FX something that's about five years old.

I'll see how right you are ;)
  • EGBartonFink 27 Aug 2008 11:24:29 914 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Whats the difference? I'm assuming I still have to install apps via command line even though there's a perfectly good gui there?
    Nope there is a pretty good installer application on the desktop, Adept. Command line one is apt.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 11:30:57 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I started installing Ubuntu this morning but it seemed to get stuck on some checking screen so I cancelled it, how long does it take to install was I being impatient?

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 11:42:49
    Well what a waste of time. Still no support for the graphics card because it goes away to look for a .deb file that doesn't exist. Tells me there's software updates to install as well, which don't exist. It also asks for a reboot every time it fails to update.
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 11:43:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It takes no longer than windows to install, have patience Mr Brett.
    Good things come to those who wait. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 11:46:17
    Aye it only took about ten mins to install here. FWIW.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 11:52:09
    Oh well, back to Windows for another six months.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 11:55:10 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok I'll give it another try and post back in 20 minutes saying: "I got impatient again..."

• jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 12:07:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg, there are licensing issues with Nvidia and Linux. They still maintain control over a binary blob of data in the drivers which makes it a pain for it to go into the linux distros. The ATi drivers are open source apparently so there's increasing support for ATi straight out of the distro. I had to mess about with repositories and X-Windows in order to get my nvidia working semi-well under linux.
    It's a pain for sure. :(

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 12:09:54
    Aye, there's a directory on the websire that has a whole bunch of nVidia stuff but not the file it goes looking for.

It tried to do an update for some other things and did the same thing. Maybe they're (badly) doing some housekeeping or something?
  • Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 12:45:33 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It got to 94% and then broke...

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 12:47:31
    Overall: not impressive.
  • samk 27 Aug 2008 12:53:13 703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So, I've installed this shizzle, all has gone well apart from graphics, which flicker like a bitch with anything 3d/opengl on my ATI, any ideas?

This is why I gave up with the latest Ubuntu. Whatever default ATI drivers it installed were total bollocks. The list of other drivers available was quite literally as long as my arm, had completely unintuitive names, and those I tried had one of various problems (such as not maintaining screen resolution after a reboot, not able to use my monitor's native resolution, unusably slow, etc.)

After a few hours trawling through forums and trying various suggested drivers I got to the "why the hell am I wasting my life doing this??" stage. I'd like to use it, but not at the expense of spending days setting the bastard up properly.
  • Nasty 27 Aug 2008 13:22:19 4,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone tried gOS?
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 13:38:37 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Once you've set linux up a few times it's second nature. The same with Windows really, you need drivers and all the latest bits and bobs it's just that Linux is different so most people give up on it. Shock of the new and all, still now you've given it a go you'll be back. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life. :)

As for gOS? No, never used it but then i tend to avoid Google wherever possible apart from their search engine tbh.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 13:41:02
    What other decent distros are there other than Ubuntu because it clearly doesn't work very well.
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 13:47:53 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ubuntu works fine, i've got two machines right next to me running Ubuntu and i've no issues with them.
    DistroWatch has a list of Linux distros and what their focus is so it's worth having a look there if you still want to give it a whirl, boabg.

• Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 13:47:58 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tried to install it onto a sperate hard drive but now I can't see that drive in windows, anyone know how I can make it accessible?

• jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 13:54:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not if it's on the same machine i don't think. If you want to share data between windows and linux on the same drive on a dual boot machine you'll need to make a data partition and format it to FAT32 or NTFS. Linux will read windows formats but not vice versa. If they're on separate machines then use Samba/cifs to connect.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 13:55:21
    jellyhead wrote:
    Ubuntu works fine, i've got two machines right next to me running Ubuntu and i've no issues with them.
    DistroWatch has a list of Linux distros and what their focus is so it's worth having a look there if you still want to give it a whirl, boabg.

Well the fact I couldn't get it to install updates because the files don't exist on the server puts me off a little :) I'll try it again in a few days and see if they've got their arses in gear.

Cheers for the link!
  • Mr-Brett 27 Aug 2008 13:56:52 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok to describe it better: windows and linux are both of seperate drives in the same machine, linux failed to install properly so I want to format the drive and just use it for storage in windows but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

• Deleted user 27 August 2008 13:58:23
    You'll have to use the disc management tool in mmc and delete the partition that isn't your XP one. Then create a new one and format it.
  • jellyhead 27 Aug 2008 13:59:50 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:

Well the fact I couldn't get it to install updates because the files don't exist on the server puts me off a little :) I'll try it again in a few days and see if they've got their arses in gear.

Cheers for the link!
    I don't have the reference to hand but with Ubuntu and most Linux distros the packages are sorted by licensing so you might fidn you need to add a "Universal repository" to your package manager for it to look for certain licensed software. Also make sure you get a of version Ubuntu LTS down as the LTS bit means "Long Term Support" and is more likely to be up-to-date.
    I'm a bit snowed under or i'd give more and better advice, sorry mate.

• Page

of 20 First / Last