2nd Hand World of Warcraft

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Ged42 8 Jul 2008 21:44:24 7,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently saw a 2nd hand copy of WoW in a charity shop for 5!

But i thought will the game actually work, does anyone know if Blizzard have some copyright thingy in place thats locks (or soul binds) the WoW disc to a particular account?
  • Kami 8 Jul 2008 22:49:53 2,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    These online games come with unique keys. You can't reuse a key, so you'd likely end up buying one from Blizzard anyway as the one you'd have wouldn't work. Would be a waste of 5.

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Thunderhead 8 Jul 2008 22:52:05 558 posts
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kill the shopkeeper for accepting it in the first place.
  • Micro_Explosion 8 Jul 2008 22:52:13 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And give you access to all their personal information? Bargain.
  • Ged42 9 Jul 2008 09:01:07 7,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks everyone :) I thought it would be to good to be true

After a bit of digging I found a post on IGN by a guy who had asked Blizzard what the situation was with 2nd hand copies of WoW. It says that you Authentication Keys can't be re-used and anyone selling their WoW accounts on is breaking the Terms of Use and will be savaged by Murlocs or something like that.

• warlockuk 9 Jul 2008 09:35:42 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye. TBH I think they're legally in a grey area when it comes to refusing to let anyone sell their full WoW account. At least over here in "Europe".

But that charity shop copy will be absolutely worthless without the account info - and if the person gave that away in the box then it has their address etc in there. Scary.

...but yeah. Only of use to people whose discs are knackered and who want to do a re-install without downloading everything.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• teamHAM 9 Jul 2008 10:16:03 3,153 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the general consensus is when someone sells their WoW software (box and discs) as second hand then they sell their login credentials aswell. As explained above this is because when you first install WoW you have to bind your CD Key to a new account in a one time process (you cannot play the game without creating an account that has been linked with a CD key), so without the account the discs and box are useless.

I dont think this is particularly frowned upon by Blizzard, its more grinding/powerleveling characters up to 70 and then putting them up for lots of money.

As Warlock says the only ever time you would consider buying the box without an account is if you already had an account but moved PC's or something and didnt want to download the client (a few GB's - once your account is activated you can download the client off the WoW site an unlimited number of times I think).

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Bloodloss 9 Jul 2008 11:08:25 4,499 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can get the game brand new for only a few pounds more anyway.
  • GreasyWeasel 23 Sep 2008 11:51:30 463 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone have any experience selling a WoW account? I have both the original collectors edition as well as the Burning Crusade collectors edition but they are both linked to a single account. Now I haven't played it for ages and any characters I do have are completely worthless (I think the highest I got was in the 20's).
    I see that the original collectors edition seems to be worth quite a bit and I could definitely do with the money at the moment but don't want to end up getting the account shut down or accidently passing along personal info to any potential buyer.
  • Shinji 23 Sep 2008 12:02:12 5,903 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What you *could* legitimately do with a second-hand copy of WoW is this - get a friend to send you a trial key from within their account, create your account using that, install the game from the second-hand copy, and off you go.

No idea what Blizzard's stance on that is, but they probably don't give a shit given that you'll be paying the full subscription fee after the first month anyway. I can't imagine they make much cash out of boxed game sales at this point in time.
  • Spectral 23 Sep 2008 12:10:58 5,021 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its cheaper just to buy the game new. You can get it for 5.99 from various online stores and in that you get your first months play aswell as a lot less messing about.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next