Overclockers UK Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 April 2009 12:44:16
    Sorry, nothing you wrote makes any sense to my situation. Also, you're coming off a bit of a know-it-all patronising git, even if you're trying to help.

Regardless of whether I can "replace" the heatsink, I shouldn't have to - it should work out of the box. I bought the card on good faith on direct recommendation from them ALONGSIDE the rest of the system, again, recommended by them. I should not have to void the warranty playing with the heatsink in order to make it work.

(also note this card has been returned by many of their own forumites, for a full refund for the same issue)

I did have PSU issues, but that's because it was underpowered. Again I had asked them if it was ok, only to find it wasn't myself. It's since been replaced I have a large Lian Li case, which I'm thinking of replacing at a later date as the new GPU is a bit too big for it, which has two cleaned fans at the front, one at the rear and another at the top. There is enough ventilation as it's quite roomy.

The SSD, I later learned, no matter how much fiddling it would've taken, wouldn't be worthy of a system drive, they apparently tested it and found the same issues. Look up the Crucial 32GB SSD.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 14:06:52 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry I'm not intentionally being patronizing, I'm just fed up with having to deal with people who buy kit for their PC and then assume its broken as soon as they cant get it to work.

Changing graphics card heat sinks is a relatively common process, as the problem tends to be the compound that sticks it to the face of the card. It can make a big difference spending two quid on some artic silver paste.

If they specced your whole system for you, then yes you have a right to be annoyed, who did it for you? If there was a serious problem with a whole batch of cards, its probably outside of their control.
  • GreyScale 23 Apr 2009 14:12:59 392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    Sorry I'm not intentionally being patronizing, I'm just fed up with having to deal with people who buy kit for their PC and then assume its broken as soon as they cant get it to work.

Changing graphics card heat sinks is a relatively common process, as the problem tends to be the compound that sticks it to the face of the card. It can make a big difference spending two quid on some artic silver paste.

If they specced your whole system for you, then yes you have a right to be annoyed, who did it for you? If there was a serious problem with a whole batch of cards, its probably outside of their control.

Why should he have to fart about with heatsinks? it should work as sold, thats a basic consumer right. TBH if I bought any piece of electonic kit and it didn't work, and was recommended to take it apart and fix it myself, I'd tell them to eff right off and demand a refund or replacement.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 14:20:53 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That was my recommendation not theirs. Why stop at messing around with heatsinks, why not just buy a pre-built PC and save yourself the hassle.
  • GreyScale 23 Apr 2009 14:27:50 392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or, why not just expect to buy something that isn't broken? Don't really understand what buying a pre-built PC has got to do with anything.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 14:34:21 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The point I was making was that a graphics card is a component, it is part of an entity that works as a whole. Due to the nature of components and their interchangeability, they often have issues with each other. For example a case may not have the optimum airflow for a specific graphics card, causing it to overheat. In that scenario, rather than send the graphics card back, and hope that the next one does better, it may be simpler to resolve the issue by improving the heat transfer. For me, overcoming issues like this is part of building a PC, I was simply stating that you could avoid such issues by buying a complete unit where all the components will have been designed to work together.
  • GreyScale 23 Apr 2009 15:05:40 392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Compatibility issues are one thing, kit that doesn't work is something else. If they sell a GFX card, it should work with the stock cooler with no fiddling needed, otherwise it's broken, simple as that.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 16:12:38 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It does work, but it overheats possibly due to its surroundings. In the same way that a mobile phone will work, but might not work so well underwater.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2009 16:20:43
    OK, the point being that they recommended the card to me, I checked out a couple of reviews which said it was ok, I ordered it, it overheated, I searched for the card and "overheat" and on their very forums a bunch of previous customers are having the same issues and have been posting them since before I ordered. Further checking on google and I find that yes, it's an issue.

With regards to hardware like graphics cards, unless you're some douche who's trying to put a PCI E card into an AGP slot, then they're a pretty fuggin' easy bit of kit to work out. I can understand a lot goes wrong - but you shouldn't presume everyone you're talking to doesn't know a bit about computers or has done the required research, Concrete.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 16:38:47 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ok I apologise, but from what you have said, I can see there being two scenarios:

People on the internet realised there was an overheating, you thoroughly researched the problem but you bought anyway knowing what you were buying.

Or, the overheating problems came to light after you purchased, as its a bad batch from the manufacturer.

Neither of which is OcUKs fault, unless they specifically recommended it to you, which you said they did, which is why I asked who was it who said "get that one" :)
  • DodgyPast 23 Apr 2009 16:41:59 9,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Holy fuck Concrete, you must have really low expectations.

Been building PCs since the early 1990s and I'd never dream of swapping a heat sink rather than returning it, even though I have done it myself to install water cooling.

And you seem to think your knowledge makes you particularly special when these days building a PC is really a piece of cake unless your components are faulty.
  • Concrete 23 Apr 2009 16:47:57 922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No I don't think I'm special at all, as, as you say anyone can put a PC together. I'm just defending a company that I happen to rate very highly. I suppose it could be called expressing an opinion on a public forum . .
  • Deleted user 23 April 2009 17:36:52
    If a product is faulty, even if it's not OCUK's fault, I'm entitled to a refund if it doesn't meet expectation. That's basic UK law.

As for defending a company - don't be that person, if a company isn't doing right by the customer, they're not doing right by it. They can defend themselves if needs be.

Honestly, fan behaviour over online shops is the last thing the world needs! ;) Check out the previous Shopto debacle...
  • ecu 23 Apr 2009 17:38:10 80,120 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The OCUK stuff is pretty odd to me, too. I've shopped there a fair bit, and they've been fantastic, but I've heard tons of people complaining about them, so they must be doing something wrong.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2009 17:42:33
    After-sales service, I guess. Although I'm a bit wary now after being sold an overheating card (I'm sure that's an error) and a very slow SSD drive, sold as fast, that was taken off the website soon after. That said I was refunded on that quickly enough.

Ashley, their tech dude, seems nice enough, and the SSD swap's been fine. But I'm very confused about this gcard that I most definitely witnessed overheat many times over. When you factor it it's cost me 18 so far on top of the original price (not including the original delivery, the other items - mem, mobo - are ok) you can see why I'm a bit concerned. Coupled with the webnote system it's all a bit frustrating. Also telling me they had it pass "tests" without attatching what the conditions were is a bit orf.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2009 16:28:19
    OK, so I received it with a paper outlining their tests, that I downloaded myself. But before I started I gave it another try on Crysis briefly only for it to lock up again, which I took pics and video of to show them if required.

The GTX260 I've replaced it with actually takes up a ton of room in the case and reduces the airflow, but still runs stable for hours regardless, so it's not that. There's plenty of room around the 4850. Seems to me the card is at fault - surely I should be able to have a refund under DSR now?
  • Deleted user 29 April 2009 17:29:19
    And I have! \o/

If only they didn't use the webnote system, I'm sure 99% of my issues communicating with OC'ers stems from that.
  • mikew1985 19 Jul 2010 17:06:06 14,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was thinking about ordering from these guys as ebuyer don't ship to ROI(Boooo!), experiences seem a bit mixed, any of the Irish contingent got any experience with them?

It's either OCUK or Dabs because it seems as komplett appear to have turned to absolute shit in terms of choice/stock and price (got a feeling they're finally heading down the pan here too by the looks of their website/stock levels atm).
  • Deleted user 19 July 2010 17:09:26
    Have you looked at eBuyer?
  • mikew1985 19 Jul 2010 17:17:46 14,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yep, mentioned it in the post, ebuyer don't ship to ROI :(
  • grey_matters 19 Jul 2010 17:22:11 4,322 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike, create a Google checkout account and click on that button when checking out of ebuyer.
  • coastal 19 Jul 2010 17:22:24 5,423 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Overclockers are cunts. Simple as.
  • grey_matters 19 Jul 2010 17:24:58 4,322 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you really want overclockers, I've mostly been looked after well but there are some bad stories out there too.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jul 2010 17:31:09 89,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 19 July 2010 17:32:50
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Good god - sorry. Dunno how I missed that!

Anyway - are you sure they don't deliver to Eire? Says 9.99 on their site:

http://www.ebuyer.com/deliveryprices

Delivery options outside mainland UK
    Delivery to Northern Ireland, Eire, Scottish Offshore, Scottish Highlands, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man

Delivery options Price & delivery times
    Within 2 - 3 working days Only 9.99
    7am - 7pm
  • grey_matters 19 Jul 2010 17:34:14 4,322 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Anyone have any opinions on Scan.co.uk? I recall them being good back in the day when Aria and so on were the component kings, but haven't heard anything about them for years.

I ask because they've got some good prices on a couple of things I need.
    Haven't used them but I think they have a decent reputation on avforums.
  • FooAtari 19 Jul 2010 18:48:23 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scan have a good reputation. I know there are some moans about Overclockers, but personally have ordered several times and done a return, never a problem.
  • Whizzo 19 Jul 2010 18:53:12 44,763 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've used Scan a couple of times with no problems and a few friends and colleagues use them as the first port of call for any PC bits with similar good results.

I tend to use Scan, Aria, Novatech, Dabs (great Quidco and customer service) or CCLonline and I'm happy with all of them.
  • LockeTribal 19 Jul 2010 19:06:51 4,669 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Was thinking about ordering from these guys as ebuyer don't ship to ROI(Boooo!), experiences seem a bit mixed, any of the Irish contingent got any experience with them?

It's either OCUK or Dabs because it seems as komplett appear to have turned to absolute shit in terms of choice/stock and price (got a feeling they're finally heading down the pan here too by the looks of their website/stock levels atm).

eBuyer do ship to Ireland, I buy off them all the time. You just need to put REP 123 in as your postcode.

EDIT: You can just use paypal at checkout either.

EDIT: Correct postcode.
  • grey_matters 19 Jul 2010 19:07:34 4,322 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Good god - sorry. Dunno how I missed that!

Anyway - are you sure they don't deliver to Eire? Says 9.99 on their site:

http://www.ebuyer.com/deliveryprices

Delivery options outside mainland UK
    Delivery to Northern Ireland, Eire, Scottish Offshore, Scottish Highlands, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man

Delivery options Price & delivery times
    Within 2 - 3 working days Only 9.99
    7am - 7pm

They have an absolutely retarded membership form that doesn't allow for non-postcode-having-motherfuckers. In addition, it takes ages to explain the problem to the support teams as they aren't trained for it and rarely come across it. They definitely do deliver to ROI though, but Google Checkout is the way to go for new accounts.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.