Overclockers UK

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • teamHAM 7 Jul 2008 16:06:15 3,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yo

I recently wanted to get a new gaming rig, and my friend recommended Overclockers. Last week I went on there and dropped 1500 quid on it (including peripherals). All got delivered next day, no problems there.

The following day me and my mate built up the PC, and then tested it. It had some boot problems which were eventually narrowed down to a problem with either the motherboard, PSU or RAM (this was confirmed by Overclockers).

I rang OC support and explained I wasnt too happy with this - they promised to have the courier pick up the goods Friday PM, test them Monday (today) and get replacements out in time for tomorrow. Except the courier never turned up so I went to the depot and dropped it off myself (and got a receipt).

OC took delivery of the goods Saturday AM so had saturday and all day today to test the goods. Not having received any update this afternoon about the status of my stuff I rang them. They said the system was screwed and my stuff hadnt been booked in for testing yet, and that they cannot promise any time that they will get replacements out to me(despite me already having a written promise from them).

In short - I'm pretty appauled at their customer service skills and none too happy at shelling out so much cash for what is currently a Ł1500 doorstop.

So I was just wondering - have any of you guys used Overclockers recently, do you have any experiences to share or better still any tips which will help me get through this shitty experience?

At present I am considering exercising my right under the Act of Distance Selling Regulations (2000) to claim a full refund since it's not yet been 7 working days since my goods were delivered.

Cheers
  • deem 7 Jul 2008 16:07:39 31,653 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know a couple of people have had nightmares with OC.

Still, I ordered from them this morning.

:(
  • Pirotic Moderator 7 Jul 2008 16:08:34 20,640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had a couple of duff components from them in the past and they did quite a good job of replacing them quickly. this was about 6 months ago mind you.
  • Dirtbox 7 Jul 2008 16:09:30 89,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • HitchHiker 7 Jul 2008 16:10:40 2,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Give them a bell and let them know how you feel. Give them a chance to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. If nothing's happened by Wednesday, claim it all back.
  • THFourteen 7 Jul 2008 16:10:51 46,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    its not really an OC problem, its more one of those niggles that can occur if you're building your own PC.

when i built my last one i had all sorts of problems getting it to boot, turned out to be a problem with the RAM and the fact that i had to manually set all the RAM timings in the BIOS (it didn't like the automated ones).
  • FooAtari 7 Jul 2008 16:12:24 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've used them several time. Never had any problems myself. I RMA'd a faulty PSU and was refunded within a few days. Sorry you are having problems.

You ask to speak to a manager at all? I think the guy who seems to run the place is called Tom, could ask for him. Although don't blame me if they ask who Tom is :p

I'd call them back and tell them what you want to do (i.e. get refund) if they don't short your stuff out in reasonable amount of time. 24/48 hours or something
  • angeltreats 7 Jul 2008 16:12:40 2,601 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't find my old thread about OC but I had several nightmares with them, to the point that I have banned my other half from ever using them and will badmouth them to anyone who will listen to me. They are utterly utterly shit and should be banned from trading.

I eventually managed to get a faulty graphics card replaced over two months after OCUK tested it as faulty by finding the direct email address of someone who worked there from the OCUK forums and emailed him begging him to sort it out. Failing that I was going to get my credit card company to go after them.
  • FooAtari 7 Jul 2008 16:14:01 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    its not really an OC problem, its more one of those niggles that can occur if you're building your own PC.

Its an OC problem if one of the components is faulty. But faulty or not the distance selling act applies to everything.
  • HoriZon 7 Jul 2008 16:22:26 14,098 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Used them once before and never again such bad CS and was told enough BS to stay away forever!

Always search forums such as this one to see what others say about any online retailer before you buy, well its what i now do. If i see one with lots of bad reviews i black list them.
  • rudedudejude 7 Jul 2008 16:22:34 2,343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    overcockers lol

Not heard anything but bad reviews about these guys tbh.
  • X201 7 Jul 2008 16:24:24 18,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never used them but have heard enough horrors stories about their "customer service" to give them a wide berth.

Most of these are old (pre-2006), but pick any page out of the 22 and you'll get the drift http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?35
  • ecu 7 Jul 2008 16:25:55 80,192 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've heard nothing but bad reviews about them, but I've used them maybe 4 or 5 times and they've always been fine.
  • Saladin 7 Jul 2008 16:27:03 669 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a DEll 2408WS monitor from them about 2ish months ago and had no problems whatsoever. However, I know a guy who bought memory from them and had no end of problems trying to get a faulty stick of RAM replaced.

Good luck, that's all I can say.
  • Concrete 7 Jul 2008 16:35:12 932 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been using them for nearly ten years now, wouldn't say a bad thing about them. I know its terribly annoying when your new and shiney toy takes a couple of days longer than planned to get up and running, but thats the price you pay for saving money ordering components individually. You can hardly blame them for not working Sundays and they are a big outfit, it takes time to process items, its the same with any online retailer.
  • JayeM 7 Jul 2008 16:36:01 3,384 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They've been great to me. No problems and always fast delivery. Even when I had to return a faulty hard drive the turnover was very quick.
  • angeltreats 7 Jul 2008 16:44:29 2,601 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    I've been using them for nearly ten years now, wouldn't say a bad thing about them. I know its terribly annoying when your new and shiney toy takes a couple of days longer than planned to get up and running, but thats the price you pay for saving money ordering components individually. You can hardly blame them for not working Sundays and they are a big outfit, it takes time to process items, its the same with any online retailer.

A few DAYS, fine. A few MONTHS, which is how long it took both times I had problems with them, is not acceptable.
  • teamHAM 7 Jul 2008 16:49:14 3,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    You can hardly blame them for not working Sundays and they are a big outfit, it takes time to process items, its the same with any online retailer.

I'm not blaming them for not working Sundays - I'm blaming them for not working at all (especially when it comes to sorting out customers problems)......
  • FooAtari 7 Jul 2008 16:50:07 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thning is there will always be some people with problems. No company is perfect.

And people maon when they get bad service but say nothing when all is fine. If you took forums as representative of what everyone thinks and how good a company is, probably find that 99% of companies are total shite!
  • El_MUERkO 7 Jul 2008 16:51:25 18,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    when you get your computer back and working all the parts will cost less than they did when you bought it

just something to think on ...
  • angeltreats 7 Jul 2008 16:52:23 2,601 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True, but I don't think I've ever seen as many bad comments about any company as I have about OCUK.
  • FooAtari 7 Jul 2008 16:54:08 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe they are less than great then. Can only talk from my experiences which have all been good.

/touches wood for future purposes.
  • deem 7 Jul 2008 16:54:20 31,653 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I purchased my card at 11.30 this morning, and by 2.30, I'd received an email saying it had been packed and in the progress of being shipped, so I'm impressed so far.

:)
  • angeltreats 7 Jul 2008 16:55:44 2,601 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Well, I purchased my card at 11.30 this morning, and by 2.30, I'd received an email saying it had been packed and in the progress of being shipped, so I'm impressed so far.

:)

The actual getting your stuff bit is absolutely fine, no problems there. It's when you have to return something that's faulty when the problems arise.
  • magicpanda 7 Jul 2008 16:56:07 14,631 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only ever used them once, I ordered a graphics card and got the next version up by mistake. Which was nice.
  • El_MUERkO 7 Jul 2008 16:56:31 18,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    yup, i bought a 4780 off them the other day, overclocked the poop out of it, no issues so far :D
  • jellyhead 7 Jul 2008 16:56:52 24,346 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Angeltreats, What about Scan then? :)
    I've used OC a couple of times over the years and luckily i've had no issues. My mate bought a mobo and cpu from them recently and the mobo was faulty but he had a new one within a few days. It's a bit like russian roulette i suppose.
  • deem 7 Jul 2008 16:59:12 31,653 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heh, I ordered my motherboard and HDD from scan about 30 minutes later!

ABout half an hour ago I was getting worried that the tracking status hadn't been updated, so I emailed them to ask how things were going, and got a prompt response saying they had market them as urgent and should still receive them tomorrow.
  • dr_swin 7 Jul 2008 17:00:56 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was quite impressed with the speed of delivery. I found their customer service to be ok when I had to contact them. I would recommend e-buyer as well.
  • HoriZon 7 Jul 2008 17:02:37 14,098 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've stuck to eBuyer for the last few years there close to me as well so its easier and had no problems yet.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.