Dubstep Page 2

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 31 Jul 2008 13:01:23 13,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and check Boxcutter's Glyphic on PlanetMu. Awesome.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• smoothpete 12 Dec 2008 16:07:27 31,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yo people, educate me on dubstep. Just listening to this, Rusko - Woo Boost and fucking loving it. Recommend me some stuff please
  • Fizzog 12 Dec 2008 16:22:21 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Yo people, educate me on dubstep. Just listening to this, Rusko - Woo Boost and fucking loving it. Recommend me some stuff please

This was the song everyone was hyping not so long ago.

• usung_hero 12 Dec 2008 16:29:52 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do love dubstep, the way it's so dark, and dirty, and filthy, but I must admit it's appeal as an underground style has gone with the creation of this thread.
  • smoothpete 12 Dec 2008 16:30:58 31,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

This was the song everyone was hyping not so long ago.

Hmm not really feeling that
  • Fizzog 12 Dec 2008 16:32:03 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    usung_hero wrote:
    I do love dubstep, the way it's so dark, and dirty, and filthy, but I must admit it's appeal as an underground style has gone with the creation of this thread.

Huh, surely the appeal went when Radio1 started playing it all the time afew months ago?

• usung_hero 12 Dec 2008 16:33:03 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I meant that this thread is the final straw, it has now entered fully into the mainstream.
  • smoothpete 12 Dec 2008 16:34:04 31,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what?
  • Syrette 12 Dec 2008 16:35:19 43,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Firstly, I'd be a naughty boy and download some Dubstep Allstar compilations or buy them if you really want to. They're compiled by dubstep artists and there's usually a bunch of hidden and exclusive gems in there.

Aside from that I get most of my dubstep either off of friends or more commonly off of Beatport.com which is a great site. You get quality downloads, you can preview every single track and they regularly update their charts (which will help you work out some of what is hot and what isn't).

Get the 'big' names downloaded first. Such as Skream, N-Type, Digital Mystikz (and then Coki and Mala's own output), Caspa, Plastician, Kode9, DJ Hatcha, Burial (obviously) etc as they're popular in the scene for a reason.

Off the top of my head, I personally listen to a lot of Nero, Kromestar, Rumblejunkie, RSD and Geiom (he just played here in Lincoln in the last couple of weeks) at the moment.

• usung_hero 12 Dec 2008 16:37:27 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    So what?

I think it felt a lot more dark and brooding when it was this smaller phenomenon, now it has become mainstream and commercial it seems almost tame, or at least it seems slightly diminished, the bass less outrageously filthy.
  • diggun 12 Dec 2008 16:41:38 36 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    www.myspace.com/marlowdubstep FWT.

review of this guy i read said 'its like having an innocent smoothie poured in your ear'.
    very true.
  • Syrette 12 Dec 2008 16:41:40 43,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    usung_hero wrote:
    I meant that this thread is the final straw, it has now entered fully into the mainstream.

Not sure if you noticed, but I made this thread in July. I'd been into it for a while even before then but thought I'd make a thread about it back then as I thought I'd see what people thought of it. This was ages before Burial got nominated for the Mercury for instance.

Are you implying because I made it that it is 'now in the mainstream'?! I got into it because I've always liked electronic music and I knew and know plenty of people who are into dubstep and being around them a lot influenced me further. Plus Lincoln has a good dubstep scene and dubstep nights at clubs are usually pretty busy which is pretty cool for a small city with few artists of any sort attracting any publicity.

It's hardly mainstream (at all really) and to be fair Mary Ann Hobbs et al have been pimping it for a while now, without them it would probably be a lot smaller. It's a very recent scene all things considered.

• WoodenSpoon 12 Dec 2008 16:41:40 12,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    usung_hero wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    So what?

I think it felt a lot more dark and brooding when it was this smaller phenomenon, now it has become mainstream and commercial it seems almost tame, or at least it seems slightly diminished, the bass less outrageously filthy.

Agreed, too much trendy boy caspa & rusko dubstep, not enough scary milanese and loefah dubstep :(

Also check out the electronic music group for nerds here, theres some links to good tunes!
  • Fizzog 12 Dec 2008 16:42:36 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    usung_hero wrote:

Do you realize how much of a knob you sound? You should be happy that the artists are getting mainstream recognition, it's a good thing.
  • Syrette 12 Dec 2008 16:45:00 43,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Exactly. Who gives a fuck, to be perfectly honest?

And it really isn't "fully into the mainstream". Absolute nonsense. It's certainly more known and people in the club/electronic scene are going to have more of an idea about what you're on about if you start talking about it but it's really not that big. I can't believe people are turning on Benga, Rusko, Caspa etc already just because they're slightly better known.

• usung_hero 12 Dec 2008 16:45:47 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm just lamenting and feeling nostalgic for the early discovery of dubstep, I'm not suggesting it has died or you had any part in it's death, foreverafternothing.
  • smoothpete 12 Dec 2008 16:46:01 31,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well so far Rusko's things have been what I've liked most. Cheers all
  • WoodenSpoon 12 Dec 2008 16:46:24 12,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to clarify, I'm not "turning on Benga, Rusko, Caspa etc", I just prefer their older tunes :)
  • usung_hero 12 Dec 2008 16:47:12 37 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's like all things, they are better when it's fresh and new, my sentiments are nothing more than that.
  • diggun 12 Dec 2008 16:50:06 36 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i've got a leather jacket. it was stiff, uncomfortable and looked really fucking stupid when it was new.
    6 years down the line, its comfortable, beaten up and looks pretty fucking pimp if i do say so myself. Much prefer it.
    Plus when it was new, nobody had seen it, and they didn't like it at first. now its part of the jack-look and everyone agrees its amazing.

Now thats a true story, but do you see what i did with my cunning metaphor?
  • johnlenham 12 Dec 2008 17:40:06 4,000 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dont buy new leather jackets?

Do love me some Dubstep mind you.

• johnlenham 12 Dec 2008 18:06:02 4,000 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and on first listen that linked song up top was shit but then gave it another, then another, then another and now i think i love it :o
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:07:08
    Only dubstep I've heard that I liked (in fact, fucking LOVED) was Burial.

All the rest is bleeps and harsh snares and random noises, but maybe I've only heard the wrong stuff. That "where's my money" track is just noise as far as I'm concerned.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:09:29
    Ah, random genre music snobbery, how it never changes.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:11:20
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Ah, random genre music snobbery, how it never changes.
    What? Expressing distaste for something is now 'snobbery'? Obviously plenty people love that sort of noise. I don't. Excuse me for expressing an opinion.

Or in other words, "Ah, getting all prissy coz someone doesn't share your exact tastes, bless your cotton socks."
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:12:22
    iPhones are shit.
  • 200k 12 Dec 2008 18:14:08 183 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey Pete, you can get loads of decent sets from the Rinse Fm site. Check the archives down the left hand side, look out for sets for sets from N-Type, Youngsta, Hatcha.

Also, dubstep nights are pretty good fun, DMZ have some good nights on around the country. edit - 2min 35 on that vid i just linked, when second track comes in. Also 3mn 55... that first track Tes La Rok drops.
  • Syrette 12 Dec 2008 18:15:05 43,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why does MrED209 feel the need to get involved with everything?

• Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:16:20
    I wasn't actually talking about MrED209. o_0
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 18:21:46
    Well if you're not going to quote...

So, anything else like Burial? I really do fucking love it.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last