What's Bungie doing next? Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• SomaticSense 4 Jul 2008 13:05:21 7,047 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    afghan_jones wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    A bit like Gordon Freeman, I understand. But it's for that reason I can't understand why no MC would be such a bad thing for the next game. I'm not saying it'll be good either, but surely we'd just be getting another blank canvas as well anyway.

Hes a blank character personality wise but is a very strong character visually.

the real strength of the series is in the gameplay but from a marketing a visual point of view, you dont give up a character like MC.

I think the reason for that though is that he was established in such a huge launch title, which was the first port of call for pretty much anyone who bought an Xbox.
    I genuinely believe that they could've had a character designed completely differently and with a different personality we all still would've been exactly as pumped up during the cutscenes in Halo 2 and 3 of him kicking arse.

It's the familiarity of the iconic first game that made him, not any aspect of superior design.

Obviously you are right though, giving up the image of him standing up straight with the AR placed over his shoulder, looking at whatever huge event is unfolding in front of him, would a be a mistake of huge proportions for Bungie, as it is now synonimous with the series.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 4 Jul 2008 13:07:50 14,545 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Filth, how many times have you played the campaign? Every one I know who has played it more than once hates, loathes the cortana and grave mind bits.

Three times. Twice on the default and once on Legendary.

Every Cortana bit was brilliant, I thought, they were almost moving. Also this is the only Halo game where the Flood didn't piss me right off. I actually enjoyed fighting them.

I'm actually stunned, never have I seen anyone aside from the bungie staff actually praise those sections. Not only do they remove control from you they actually say very little of interest, at one point cortana just moans in pain and they think it's worthy enough to effectively make you stop for a few seconds.

You can barely even understand what old gravey says, it's a shame. I loved the cortana / chief relationship in 1 and 2, in this it was forced and amateurish and even worse, it was an annoyance and a detriment to gameplay.

The flood, they were much, much better than in halo 1 or 2 but everytime I come to repeat the campaign I'll always skip Cortana, dreadful level.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 13:09:56 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /shrugs

I enjoy it when control gets taken away from you to be honest haha. The end of The Darkness was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, for example.

Not sure what else I can say haha, I just enjoyed those bits. But then again, I liked being the Arbiter in Halo 2 so what do I know?
  • Latin 4 Jul 2008 13:11:48 3,372 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first game was so good, the first time I came up against the sword wielding elite, it was a genuine "WTF? that is so awesome!" (in a Yank voice) moment. The whole game was full of them in fact, the Hunters being particularly bad ass, also the night vision scope on the sniper, why did they get rid of it? First time you get in the Scorpion, fuck yeah!

I'm gonna stop myself before I right an essay about how sexual the first Halo was.
  • Xerx3s 4 Jul 2008 13:12:10 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /shrugs

I enjoy it when control gets taken away from you to be honest haha. The end of The Darkness was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, for example.

Not sure what else I can say haha, I just enjoyed those bits. But then again, I liked being the Arbiter in Halo 2 so what do I know?

That you actually have taste?
  • Psychotext 4 Jul 2008 13:12:11 52,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked them... were a bit of an annoyance on second / third playthroughs.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 4 Jul 2008 13:13:32 14,545 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /shrugs

You're not all bad then, I liked being the arbiter...well, I like the idea of being the arbiter but they fucked it to be honest. I wanted to fight humans, not rebel covenant, you couldn't tell enemy from ally.

Also, they (and this was a mistake they admitted to due to time constraints) finished the game at the wrong place, with the arbiter instead of the chief, thus destroying the 'back forth' nature of the storyline in the first place.
  • SomaticSense 4 Jul 2008 13:16:16 7,047 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The end of The Darkness was indeed absolute quality. The Cortana and Gravemind bits were horrible though, and could have been just as effective as a voiceover that doesn't interrupt you and slow everything down to a crawl.

It was the gaming equivalent of someone going "yeah, but", everytime you go to say something. I want to twat them whenever anyone does that, that same way I want to twat whoever is at Bungie who thought it was a good idea piss the gamer off with such a pointless plot device.

Plus, another thing. If only they'd made the Cortana recording found at the end of Floodgate actually Cortana, then we could've avoided the terrible Cortana level and had something better taking up the space instead. I loved the whole design of the game everywhere else, but that has always bugged me.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 13:17:01 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the Arbiter would have been even better if you were fighting the humans. Not sure why they didn't do that to be honest. Still, it mixed things up nicely.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 4 Jul 2008 13:19:31 14,545 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the Arbiter would have been even better if you were fighting the humans. Not sure why they didn't do that to be honest. Still, it mixed things up nicely.

I think the arbiter was a brave move for them, but can you imagine how much worse the reaction could have been from the fans if you were fighting marines?

I bet Microsoft wouldn't have been best pleased and the ratings board might have given them a harder time too. Still, I'd have loved it if they'd been brave enough to go that extra step, as I say, my main objection was simply the confusion between allies and enemies and the annoying plasma rifle starts with no hope of reclaiming human weapons.
  • Yossarian 4 Jul 2008 13:34:57 8,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    I hope it's another FPS, just so I can see the shocked look on their faces when it gets average review scores due to the lack of microsoft funded pr and hype. or is that too cruel a thing to wish for? ;)
    If it's as good as their last three games, I don't think they have anything to worry about. :)
  • Onny 4 Jul 2008 13:42:21 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was Oni really the only game they've dropped the ball on? I've been thinking about their back catalogue and it's been awesome (Marathon, Myth) with that one exception.
  • afghan_jones 4 Jul 2008 14:07:40 3,029 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Cortana/Gravemind bits are annoying when you are playing a campaign co-op muckabout session.

Im currently playing through campaign solo on Legendary, reading the terminals and really soaking up the story. It is a lot richer than Bungie get credit for and those little interruption bits are much more satisfying in the context of deliberately soaking up the background.

I think the reason people find them so jarring is that the game as a whole usually lets you take in as much or as little of the story as you want. you dont have to watch the cutscenes, or hang around picking up the snippets of dialogue on radio transmissions etc, you dont have to read all the terminal text but all that stuff is there if you want it. The gravemind/cortana interruptions are the only bits where they force you to listen, adn even then, they are hardly the most crucial elements anyway.
  • Xerx3s 4 Jul 2008 14:53:16 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Ratings. Now it is a game where you fight aliens which requires a less high age rating. I think.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 14:54:43 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:

Ratings. Now it is a game where you fight aliens which requires a less high age rating. I think.

Ah right, I wasn't aware of this!
  • Deleted user 20 October 2008 20:45:30
    TROLL
  • ronuds 20 Oct 2008 20:54:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If MS has first refusal rights and they didn't grab onto Bungie's next game, I don't have much hope for it. :p
  • Deleted user 20 October 2008 21:03:16
    Based on HALO, I didn't have much hope for it anyway.
  • Xerx3s 20 Oct 2008 23:15:06 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If one of the best FPS games in the last several years gives you little hope, you ought to think of quitting gaming.
  • daz_john_smith 21 Oct 2008 10:28:25 1,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bungie seem a little arrogant and ungrateful these days. Sure Halo was a giant part of the Xbox's success (and one of my favourite games ever), but that goes both ways. Without Microsoft and the Xbox Halo would most likely have dissapeared into obscurity, much like Marathon.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2008 12:22:57
    Xerx3s wrote:
    If one of the best FPS games in the last several years gives you little hope, you ought to think of quitting gaming.
    I think that says more about the standard of the competition, than about HALO itself...Wow maybe I should quit gaming :/
  • Tonka 21 Oct 2008 12:23:47 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FPS
    Set in Space
    For Xbox 360

That is my bet.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 21 Oct 2008 12:24:42 55,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah.

Minigame compilation
    With tacked on waggle
    on the Wii.

Go where the money is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• figgis 21 Oct 2008 12:43:11 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:

The arrogance is astounding too, the sections with cortana and gravemind taking control away from you are frustrating as hell and a complete bore. I can skip cutscenes, I can't skip them.

Just finished it yesterday, these sections were up their own arse.

My Initial thoughts.

Too much fucking Flood (Although they were better than in the last two)as such the last third of the game was dull. The Mombasa sections and the Brutes were really good.

I will play it again, and the MP seems much better. Much more like UT than Halo 2
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Oct 2008 13:19:43 38,899 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    If MS has first refusal rights and they didn't grab onto Bungie's next game, I don't have much hope for it. :p

This and that is SUCH a non article it IS funny.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• pjmaybe 21 Oct 2008 13:20:31 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd still genuinely like to play Halo Karts
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Oct 2008 13:20:33 38,899 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:

I think that says more about the standard of the competition, than about HALO itself...Wow maybe I should quit gaming :/

I think you should. Thanks for the troll though. It was fun.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Tonka 21 Oct 2008 13:37:21 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nah.

Minigame compilation
    With tacked on waggle
    on the Wii.

Go where the money is.

You're on!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• daz_john_smith 2 Jun 2009 04:12:47 1,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whatever happened to Bungie working on a Non-Halo project?
  • daz_john_smith 2 Jun 2009 04:47:21 1,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    They got cash.

LOL
    And after the big show they made of breaking away from Microsoft
  • Page

of 5 First / Last