What's Bungie doing next? Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• afghan_jones 4 Jul 2008 12:18:11 3,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Though, to be fair, the lack of a backlash about Halo 3 is more to do with the fact that everyone of true intelligence already knows that Halo is shit.

You are wrong.
  • Xerx3s 4 Jul 2008 12:18:40 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    According to cvg..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192240

No Chief? What the hell!?!?
    What a load of bollocks. So CVG read a rumour from an unknown source on "sarcastic gamer" about the next halo game and decide to make up a news story about it.

A brave new world of journalism.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:19:23 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    What would be the point in Halo with no Master Chief anyway? Who would you be, some stupid grunt?

The master chief isn't a fantastic character though, I much prefer the arbiter in all honesty, it's a shame covenant weaponry is by and large unsatisfying to use though.

I like him. He gets the job done. A character in his position doesn't really have much room for development though, it's not like he's a normal man or anything.

I suppose they could do an Arbiter game. He could use human weapons as a choice now he's allied with them.
  • malteaserhead 4 Jul 2008 12:19:23 13,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What would be the point in Halo with no Master Chief anyway? Who would you be, some stupid grunt?

Raiden ;)
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:19:48 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:

Raiden ;)

/dons skin-tight suit

/walks with slinky hips

;)
  • NOSAVIOUR 4 Jul 2008 12:20:13 2,804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you read the article it says from sarcastic gamer and their own sources... one Frank O'Connor being a possibility as he used to work for future publishing.
  • Xerx3s 4 Jul 2008 12:20:35 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:

The master chief isn't a fantastic character though, I much prefer the arbiter in all honesty, it's a shame covenant weaponry is by and large unsatisfying to use though.

htf are the plasma grenade and needler unsatisfying?

Sticking a plasma grenade on someone's head in MP...priceless.
  • afghan_jones 4 Jul 2008 12:24:34 3,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They should make Halo: Episodes.

Each one would be just a level or two long. You could have MC in training camp, Johnson getting off Halo 1, Levels that fill in the bits in H3 when Johnson or the Arbiter go off on their lonesome while MC mops up.

all that jazzle. Plus Pelicans on bombing runs.
  • SomaticSense 4 Jul 2008 12:37:42 8,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In all honesty, Master Chief is an awful character. Bland and with barely any personality at all. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Arbiter either. But then in my eyes Halo is not about MC or the characters, it's about the gunplay, the size of the levels, the co-op, and the multiplayer. It's the gameplay that makes it, not the bland characters (apart from Johnson obviously, who is a legend!).

Not that a worryingly large amount of Halo fans will have you believe though, who seem to think MC as a character is some kind of gaming icon. Maybe it's because he's some kind of superhuman symbol of the current war on terror.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:39:36 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MC is just one of those characters that is cool. He doesn't need a backstory - he's a killing machine. He's there to kill aliens, drive madly in a jeep and look like a badass and that's about it :D
  • Deleted user 4 July 2008 12:41:21
    Master Chief is a character now?!?
  • NOSAVIOUR 4 Jul 2008 12:42:50 2,804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being the MC made Halo 3 for me. The game ending only left me wanting to continue his story.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:44:42 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just think he's cool. I have the Legendary Edition helmet staring at me every night though. If I disobey its will, it will unleash its power.
  • SomaticSense 4 Jul 2008 12:50:12 8,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    Oh, and get real ffs, Halo 3 is so full of itself. Fuck off Cortana, no-one cares.

I quite liked the plot of Halo 3, for the same reason I used to love Indepenence Day.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:50:27 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Halo 3 had the best story of the lot to be honest and also the best level design. Gone were the days of Halo 1's identikit levels.

I found the relationship between MC and Cortana sort of sweet. She's almost like both a lover and a parent to MC at once, yet she's neither. Weird.

/muses
  • SomaticSense 4 Jul 2008 12:52:10 8,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Master Chief...he's not really supposed to have much of a character. He's always wearing his helmet for a reason, it makes it easier to 'fill his boots' if you will, to imagine you are the MC. His character is deliberately none offensive and bland, again, so you can pretty much impose whatever personality you want on him. They say as much in the making of DVD's.

Whilst I love halo 3, you're right about Cortana Nat, that was a huuuuge mistake in my opinion.

A bit like Gordon Freeman, I understand. But it's for that reason I can't understand why no MC would be such a bad thing for the next game. I'm not saying it'll be good either, but surely we'd just be getting another blank canvas as well anyway.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Jul 2008 12:53:55 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed the Halo story and the Masterchief as a character. It was gung-ho and satisfying, dammn it I saved the world and not a limp wristed teenager in sight! :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 12:55:09 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    The arrogance is astounding too, the sections with cortana and gravemind taking control away from you are frustrating as hell and a complete bore. I can skip cutscenes, I can't skip them.

They were some of my favourite bits :(
  • afghan_jones 4 Jul 2008 12:58:10 3,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Master Chief...he's not really supposed to have much of a character. He's always wearing his helmet for a reason, it makes it easier to 'fill his boots' if you will, to imagine you are the MC. His character is deliberately none offensive and bland, again, so you can pretty much impose whatever personality you want on him. They say as much in the making of DVD's.

Whilst I love halo 3, you're right about Cortana Nat, that was a huuuuge mistake in my opinion.

A bit like Gordon Freeman, I understand. But it's for that reason I can't understand why no MC would be such a bad thing for the next game. I'm not saying it'll be good either, but surely we'd just be getting another blank canvas as well anyway.

Hes a blank character personality wise but is a very strong character visually.

the real strength of the series is in the gameplay but from a marketing a visual point of view, you dont give up a character like MC.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2008 12:59:55
    Doesn't everyone in Halo look like MC though? It's just a suit of armour.
  • Latin 4 Jul 2008 13:00:22 3,699 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    According to cvg..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192240

No Chief? What the hell!?!?

I'm more concerned about a rumoured 3rd person game. Halo 4 should be an FPS for obvious reason, also there's already a mammoth TPS franchise in Gears of War on the 360.
  • Latin 4 Jul 2008 13:02:15 3,699 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Doesn't everyone in Halo look like MC though? It's just a suit of armour.

Have you ever played the games?

This is the same guy that said Halo is shit earlier in the thread, what do you think?
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Jul 2008 13:04:38 25,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Filth, how many times have you played the campaign? Every one I know who has played it more than once hates, loathes the cortana and grave mind bits.

Three times. Twice on the default and once on Legendary.

Every Cortana bit was brilliant, I thought, they were almost moving. Also this is the only Halo game where the Flood didn't piss me right off. I actually enjoyed fighting them.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2008 13:05:03
    What can I say? I've tried to burn the memory from my brain. Some bits I succeeded, other bits still crop up in my nightmares. It would seem that my 'sci-fi fashion trends' cortext is highly susceptible to tampering.

I also might be getting confused with multiplayer.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last