Police to drop Madeleine McCann investigation Page 2

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Tonka 29 Jul 2011 09:59:00 20,430 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And by lately I mean the last century or so.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dolly 29 Jul 2011 10:03:45 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact that we're all writing in this thread today proves that whatever they've done to keep awareness of the kid still being missing, has obviously worked.
  • Chopsen 29 Jul 2011 10:07:06 15,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a spectrum of possibilities to explain their actions, ranging from being caught up in all the hype the media created, to actively exploiting the situation for some personal secondary gain (financial or deflection form their own guilt). I'd finding it astounding to think they're clever enough to be so Machivelian to manipulate the situation to their own benefit, so I can't help feeling they probably are caught up in a situation which is totally beyond their control. They were definitely complicit in its creation though.
  • Aretak 29 Jul 2011 10:09:46 10,354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They should go on tour with Casey Anthony. The show could be just two hours of them standing on stage laughing at the audience.
  • Chopsen 29 Jul 2011 10:15:18 15,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    The fact that we're all writing in this thread today proves that whatever they've done to keep awareness of the kid still being missing, has obviously worked.

Most of the discussion tends to be about the media's treatment of the case and how the parents have conducted themselves, not as a part of a concerted effort to find a wayward sprog.
  • Dolly 29 Jul 2011 10:15:33 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Casey Anthony is a bit different though. She obviously DID do the crime but got an OJ let-off (personal opinion).

The McCanns were fucking stupid but no-one deserves what they got, least of all the kid involved.
  • markyHD 31 Jul 2011 10:23:31 455 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Until I see them sell their house, their big TV, their cars, and live in a 500 a month, minimalistic rented flat, this whole "We'll do anything to find our daughter" stance is a load of bollocks.
  • LetsGo 31 Jul 2011 10:32:36 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Noonee ever, ever, deserves what happened to them but they should have known better leaving their kid alone in a foreign country.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2011 10:37:03
    markyHD wrote:
    Until I see them sell their house, their big TV, their cars, and live in a 500 a month, minimalistic rented flat, this whole "We'll do anything to find our daughter" stance is a load of bollocks.
    What an incredibly daft post.
  • bad09 31 Jul 2011 13:01:14 5,903 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Noonee ever, ever, deserves what happened to them but they should have known better leaving their kid alone in a foreign country.

That's the thing about these people, as terrible as it was for that poor child these scumbags should have been held responsible in some way. They were neglectful and uncaring parents. Who in their right mind pisses off out (even if it is still in the hotel complex) while their babies are left alone in a foreign country? Christ who does that in their own country??? If I was in social services I'd have taken their other children off them the minute they got back to the UK.

I really disliked how the press just brushed all that bad parenting under the carpet to portray the sad grieving parents. Yes it was a terrible sad event but one brought about by their neglect of their children.
  • Tonka 31 Jul 2011 13:05:44 20,430 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What with the "foreign country" bit? Is it OK to leave you children unatended in Ye Ole England?

• Fab4 1 Aug 2011 09:34:49 6,077 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    What with the "foreign country" bit? Is it OK to leave you children unatended in Ye Ole England?

Its not the 'all foreigners are evil bastards' point of view. Its the fact that they would be unfamiliar with their surroundings and the holiday complex, by its nature, would have a higher percentage of transitory footfall.

If you notice, bad09 even mentioned that if they did that in his own country (which I assume is the UK), and there are plenty who do, they would have social services to deal with.

Don't be too quick to draw the Xenophobia picture.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Aug 2011 09:40:46 14,682 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

That's the thing about these people, as terrible as it was for that poor child these scumbags should have been held responsible in some way. They were neglectful and uncaring parents. Who in their right mind pisses off out (even if it is still in the hotel complex) while their babies are left alone in a foreign country? Christ who does that in their own country??? If I was in social services I'd have taken their other children off them the minute they got back to the UK.

I really disliked how the press just brushed all that bad parenting under the carpet to portray the sad grieving parents. Yes it was a terrible sad event but one brought about by their neglect of their children.

Well said

I have 2 children, aged 5 and 3 and I would NEVER leave them to "pop to the shops" ect. My 5 year old daughter has awoken herself up due to a bad dream and been breaking her heart...and calling for me or my wife because she is scared, imagine not being there to comfort her.

I feel so sorry for Madeleine, but not for the them.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Tonka 1 Aug 2011 09:41:17 20,430 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I might have been a bit quick on the draw there. The fact that the "foreign country" bit popped up thrice on 1.5 pages made me a bit jumpy.

• richarddavies 1 Aug 2011 09:44:43 2,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was piss poor parenting on there part. I've got a five and three year old aswell. I wouldn't leave them in the house for anything without bringing them. Not even if they were asleep and I locked the doors. You just don't know what could happen while your away.
  • DaM 1 Aug 2011 10:09:13 13,210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

My sister and her family were away in the Canaries I think, in the height of the Maddy frenzy. Each room in the hotel had a baby monitoring thing built in, and the idea was you put your kids to bed, and went out for a meal, taking the sensor/speaker thing with you. My sister would not have used this thing anyway, but during this time there was a heightened awareness of the follies of leaving your children in their room.

But every night they got comments and complaints from other guests, mainly Germans (sorry!) for bringing their kids to dinner, almost every other table had a baby monitor thing with them.

I'll try and get the hotel name if anyone wants to kidnap a German infant.

And for Casey Anthony, there was not a shred of evidence pinning the murder to her (or how she even died). She probably did do it, but the police made such an arse of the investigation. With OJ they had concrete physical proof. Not being the type to abandon children in hotel rooms, I had nothing but Casey Anthony to watch on TV in the evening on holiday in Florida recently....imagine BBC News just covering one story 24/7....
  • Dolly 1 Aug 2011 10:10:35 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is an awful lot of 'parent of the year' posturing in this thread. Kids get hurt/kidnapped/killed all the time in all sorts of circumstances. Sitting on the internet and saying that "It would never happen to MY kid!" just makes you look a bit of a knob really.
  • DaM 1 Aug 2011 10:19:14 13,210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That aimed at me?! I'm a terrible parent!
  • DaM 1 Aug 2011 10:21:58 13,210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kids don't really get kidnapped or killed that often....and yes, they can get hurt, but your job as a parent is to try and minimise the chances of getting hurt/killed/kidnapped, that is what the posters here are doing.
  • richarddavies 1 Aug 2011 10:24:31 2,656 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think anyones posted it would never happen to my kids. Where just commenting on the way they left there kids while they went out and how we thinks it's a bit wanky of em. I thought it was pretty apparent in the posts really.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Aug 2011 10:25:06 19,458 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    There is an awful lot of 'parent of the year' posturing in this thread. Kids get hurt/kidnapped/killed all the time in all sorts of circumstances. Sitting on the internet and saying that "It would never happen to MY kid!" just makes you look a bit of a knob really.

Not really, I'd have thought it was common sense to not leave your young children unattended for any reason, especially to go out and have a meal. No-one here is claiming to be the world's best parent, just that they know better than to leave their kids alone without any supervision, which kind of decreases the chances of anything untoward happening to them.

She dives for cheese pasties

• thedaveeyres 1 Aug 2011 10:25:46 11,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's as difference between sitting on your high horse about an issue, and pointing out the (imho) criminal negligence in leaving your kids, none of whom are over 3 years old, unattended in a hotel room while you swan out for fucking dinner. That isn't the actions of a 'normal' parent in my book, it's the actions of a pair of selfish cunts.

Apologies if that offends anyone, but that's the way I (and obviously other parents of young kids on here) see it.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Fab4 1 Aug 2011 10:29:34 6,077 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dolly wrote:

I'm sorry if thinking parents who leave their infant kids on their own while they go off and have dinner is knobby posturing, then you live in a totally fucked up world of liberal 'oh I can understand their position' bullshit. Its just fucking wrong...period.
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Aug 2011 10:29:36 24,360 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dolly wrote:

"I wouldn't leave my kids alone in a foreign hotel room" =/= "My kid will never get hurt/kidnapped/killed/I'm the best parent in the world".

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Dougs 1 Aug 2011 10:35:21 67,728 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think there is a difference between leaving your child unattended in a hotel room, and a lapse in concentration that sometimes can result in tragedy - such as answering a doorbell whilst your child is in the bath or something. So I agree with Fab4 etc. The one thing to remember though, is that the McCann's are well aware of how badly they fucked up, and what it has cost them.
  • Dolly 1 Aug 2011 10:46:26 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Predictable responses really.

/salutes the perfect dads of Eurogamer.
  • Chopsen 1 Aug 2011 10:51:26 15,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't see any "perfect dad" posturing tbh. Nobody is saying it "will never happen to my kid" just point out the problem with how these two behaved. Seems to touch a nerve with you, are you a friend of the mcann's or something?
  • TheSaint 1 Aug 2011 10:51:41 14,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What would you have considered an unpredictable response?
  • Page

of 19 First / Last